Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Eradicatedseraphim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:55 am 

I’m thinking personally of when Thurston from Sonic Youth did some songs with the “supergroup” Twilight. What are some examples of artists outside of the metal genre that come in and do a guest spot on an album. Are they a fan of the band in question or do they have some cultural commonality like Diamanda Galas when she collaborated with Rotting Christ?

~Guest 523229
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:30 am 

Sunn O))) has a few. They have collaborated with Nurse With Wound, Ulver (they used to be metal, of course, but not when this collaboration was made), and Scott Walker.

On a more infamous note, obligatory mentions of Ice-T and Black Sabbath on a song on "Forbidden" and Lou Reed and Metallica on "Lulu".

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:35 am 

Jarboe of Swans fame collaborated with Neurosis, also there are Julie Christmas album with Cult of Luna and Emma Ruth Rundle with Thou... Post metal is an hotspot for those! :)

My favorite is probably the collaboration the Wardruna guy with Ivar Bjornson of Enslaved, both albums are really interesting and well done

Last edited by ~Guest 334273 on Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
jjohn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:36 am 

One of the interesting ones I can think of now is the collaboration between Yukihiro Isso a Japanese flutist with a black metal band called Magane.

Their collaboration resulted in a bonkers album called Quest for blood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmrin4qOOFs

In general, Isso's music is great, check him out.

I'm also rather fond of the infamous Lulu collaboration, but from the standpoint of someone who doesn't care the slightest about metallica, but likes Lou Reed's output.

Sathanas_BM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:25 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Jarboe of Swans fame collaborated with Neurosis, also there are Julie Christmas album with Cult of Luna and Emma Ruth Rundle with Thou... Post metal is an hotspot for those!

I wouldn’t necessarily say Julie Christmas is a non-metal artist, given that before she became a solo artist she was in Battle Of Mice. Still a killer collab though, of course!

Noise-artist Merzbow has had a fair amount of collaborations within the metal community, most notably his frequent collaborations with Boris and the couple of projects with Full Of Hell. Speaking of Full Of Hell, they also have that recent collaboration with electronic/industrial/whatever group Health. I wasn’t too big on the song when it was released as a single, but I actually really enjoyed Health’s album for the most part and liked the song when hearing it as part of the overall project.

EDIT: Also somewhat of a less apparent example is David Tibet from weirdo neo-folk group Current 93, who has done spoken-word passages with certain black metal bands like Sigh and Skitliv. For an artist that has a lot of Christian themes in their music, albeit rather esoteric and gnostic in nature, there is a certain unsettling and disturbing darkness in Current 93’s lyrical themes that fits like a glove with black metal. There is a surprising amount of Gnostic themes I’ve seen popping up in metal as of late in general, but that’s a different conversation.

thepoopsmithmaster wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Are you that dense?
Define dense.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:59 pm 

There was Sivert Høyem on Satyricon's S/T.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:21 pm 

VintermaneOfficial wrote:
Sunn O))) has a few. They have collaborated with Nurse With Wound, Ulver (they used to be metal, of course, but not when this collaboration was made), and Scott Walker.

On a more infamous note, obligatory mentions of Ice-T and Black Sabbath on a song on "Forbidden" and Lou Reed and Metallica on "Lulu".

Didn't Mizmor recently do a collaborative EP with Scott Walker too? Haven't heard it but I imagine it's good.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:10 pm 

My bad! It was a collaboration between Mizmor and Andrew Black. The EP is post-rock/ambient according to RYM, sadly not metal.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:44 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Jarboe of Swans fame collaborated with Neurosis, also there are Julie Christmas album with Cult of Luna and Emma Ruth Rundle with Thou... Post metal is an hotspot for those! :)

My favorite is probably the collaboration the Wardruna guy with Ivar Bjornson of Enslaved, both albums are really interesting and well done

Julie Christmas is a metal artist though, she was in Battle of Mice, etc.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:24 pm 

Steven Wilson is a prog / rock guy but he's had an incredibly close partnership with Mikael and Opeth for years. Their team-ups in the early 2000s coincided with both of their bands reaching newfound success in their genres.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Earthshine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:37 pm 

I really liked Ihashn's collaboration with a fiddle player called Knut Buen in a project called Hardingrock. Every once in a while I'll remember it and go back to it.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:45 pm 

body count isn't on the archives (did they use to be?), but i'm not sure ice-t really counts by the time forbidden came out

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:07 pm 

Anthrax had a few of these. They collaborated with and toured with Public Enemy, and also worked with Beastie Boys in some capacity. At the time, both of these bands were huge household names.

James Hetfield has worked with Primus and Heart, and I am sure a few others that I have since forgotten about.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

jjohn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:13 pm 

Earthshine wrote:
I really liked Ihashn's collaboration with a fiddle player called Knut Buen in a project called Hardingrock. Every once in a while I'll remember it and go back to it.

I second this one too. Quite fun...

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:42 pm 

Keep of Kalessin did some performances with Alexader Rybak, a Norwegian pop musician who won the Eurovision Song Contest.

Kari Rueslåtten (from the Fenriz/Satyr project Storm and The Third and the Mortal) could maybe count here, as she has mainly done non-metal work.

Y_owi_E
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:19 pm 

The Judgement Night soundtrack is full of non-metal artist collaborating with metal / rock artist.

Y_owi_E
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:21 pm 

Click at own risk. :D

https://youtu.be/Nryo91pHK8s

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:39 am 

Eradicatedseraphim wrote:
What are some examples of artists outside of the metal genre that come in and do a guest spot on an album. Are they a fan of the band in question or do they have some cultural commonality like Diamanda Galas when she collaborated with Rotting Christ?

Sakari Kukko is a Finnish multiinstrumentalist known for his jazz/folk/hard-to-describe band Piirpauke, and he's done a lot of work with Amorphis - though when the collaboration began, Amorphis weren't playing that much metal either.

According to the band's authorised biography, Kukko had some weed to sell to the band's then-singer/lyricist/killjoy Pasi Koskinen, and as a result they hit it off well enough for Koskinen to ask Kukko to guest on Tuonela. This probably counts as cultural commonality :D

Inkshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:11 pm 

The Scott Walker collab is so fucking weird. Normally Sunn O))) seem to take the lead on their collaborative albums and the end result is pretty clear-cut drone or dark ambient records, but Soused just sounds like a Scott Walker album with weird-sounding guitars.

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:13 pm 

Unity wrote:
There was Sivert Høyem on Satyricon's S/T.

Sadly Phoenix is the only good track on that whole album. Would love to hear a bigger collaboration between them in the future because I really do love that song.

camjr01
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:51 am 

So no one's mentioned this collaboration yet so I'm throwing this into the conversation. I'm honestly not surprised because neither of the artists in question are particularly well known (as far as I know), but a Raw Black Metal/Noise project called Sutekh Hexen released an EP called "Breed in Me the Darkness: the Second Coming Mixes by Andrew Liles". Obviously, even though this isn't a full-on collaboration I'd still say a remix album is close enough. The remixed tracks are among the weirdest metal tracks I've ever heard, you need to check this out- along with the label that released this, Aurora Borealis. Andrew Liles adds so much to these tracks, I've yet to hear anything like them.

"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice."- Proverbs 12:15

Long Live the West

Do not do it because it feels right, but because it is right.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:09 pm 

Just remembered a funny one: Xzibit with Within Temptation!

Reply to topic