* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:23 pm 

http://teamrock.com/news/2016-05-20/joe ... -sinsaenum

Quote:
Joey Jordison has unveiled a new supergroup titled Sinsaenum.

The extreme metal band is fronted by Mayhem and Sunn O)))'s Attila Csihar along with Daath and former Chimaira keyboardist Sean Zatorsky. It also includes current VIMIC and former Slipknot sticksman Jordison on drum duties, Dragonforce bassist Frederic Leclercq on guitar and Seth's Heimoth on bass.

They'll launch their debut album Echoes Of The Tortured on July 29. Sinsaenum's video for track Army Of Chaos can be viewed below.

Leclercq says: “I’ve been a death metal fan ever since and wrote some of these songs already in 1998, so it’s something I always wanted to do. There was never the right time though, nor did I find the proper people to pull it off.

"Joey sent me an SMS to ask what I was up to, so I told him about those death metal songs."

Speaking of the upcoming album, he adds: "I wish to take the listener on a journey. Everything is interconnected, so you may pick particular songs, but it’s meant to be listened to as a whole.

"Today with iTunes and whatnot, people are choosy, whereas this is supposed to be an all-encompassing experience, forcing you to take it in as one piece of art, which is because I come from a time when you still put on a record and stuck to it until it was over."

More album details will be released in due course.

Well, wasn't necessarily expecting this to pop up in my Facebook feed today.

Functional black metal. I like it. I especially like that it's more on the groovy/black 'n roll side of things, as I've always really liked that kind of black metal. Atilla Csihar being (one of) the vocalist(s) was a totally left field choice, but he sounds quite good on this. I'll check out the album when it comes out.

The video is rather goofy though.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom/Black Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:03 pm 

Joey Jordison back in the 90s was the one booking death and grind bands in Des Moines (from what I recall from interviews) and he drummed for Satyricon in 2004. He has a lot of chops in the underground, he just happened to be the (main) percussionist in a band that early on tailored their sound to the mainstream and for that reason I think he gets a lot of flak. It'll be interesting to hear the whole album, from the single song it sounds to my ears musically in the realm of Vreid/Goatwhore/later-era Satyricon, which I totally dig, but the duel vocals (Attila in particular) are a unique touch. Solid instrumentation, and more blackened than I expected given the description from Fred Leclercq.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:09 pm 

I made it like a minute or so in and this is just boring as hell.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:51 pm 

Give it another shot. About halfway through they get blasty and we get some AWESOME soloing. Reminds me of Andy LaRocque much of the way through.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:11 pm 

Not as much Attila as I expected but it sounds pretty solid.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:33 pm 

That wasn't what I was expecting...actually, what was I expecting? I don't even know. Seemed like an eclectic mix of tastes, but they've managed to create a decent track. Nothing too unique or mindblowing but good enough to check out some more. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:18 pm 

Damn I did not see this coming! I've always loved Joey's drumming and it's great to hear him in a heavier band. I'm not a really big fan of Sean Zatorsky's vocals but the dual approach with Attila Csihar actually works really well. Can't wait to hear the rest of the album.

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:20 pm 

Sounds like rejected Now, Diabolical material to me. Every change and transition as predictable and mundane as the last.

and those lyrics..

WE ARE THE PAIN INSIDE YO HEAD.
WE ARE THE SORROW IN YOUR SOULLL
WE ARE THE FIREEE

So redundant, might as well not sing anything at all.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:36 pm 

Moonfog 2000 - The Rebirth

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:39 pm 

First half of the song sounded like something I'd have thought was edgy when I was 13. Got a little bit better when Attila started doing vocals in the second half, but still, this sucks pretty bad. The lyrics are generic as hell too.

Lydster
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:59 pm 

I wasn't expecting anything mindblowingly original from one the guys from Dragonforce. It's not bad though. It reminds me of the simpler, more straightforward black metal from the early 90s.

I'll listen to anything Joey Jordison is on... dude can drum.

BURlAL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:16 pm 

Wait, Attila is fronting this?

I saw it announced on Blabbermouth but didnt read it. Joey is supposed to be a good drummer so it might not be too bad.

EDIT: Just tried to listen to it. Not too bad but the other vocalist wasnt very good and Attila seems to be wasted. They should ditch the co-vocals and let Attila handle it all. Besides that the music was surprisingly decent.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:06 am 

I'm always in the market for some generic-ass, vaguely death metal / black metal-inspired alternative metal.

Pichushkin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:45 am 

Well that certainly popped up out of nowhere. Is Joey not doing that shitty Scar The Martyr project anymore?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:24 am 

This was the most generic festival metal I've heard in a long time. Really strange that Attila would be involved in such a band.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

CircleovZaphyan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:52 am 

I wonder how big Attila's check was.

But Im more interested in what "functional black metal" is. All I heard was Affliction T shirt rock.

wednesdaysixx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:52 am 

I was lukewarm at the start, then I got into it a bit more then the ending lost me again. If they'd cut out twenty of the last "We are the army of chaos" screams at the end and ended it sooner, I might've stayed with it longer but it seemed too repetitive at the end. But that's just me.
Definitely think Attila's vocals are the more interesting of the two. This also doesn't seem like Jordison's drumming especially well, he seems to be just going with it which is maybe what he needs, I don't know.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:57 am 

I can't imagine the level of soul sucking banality it would take to be a grown adult and write music and lyrics like that song.

Rykov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:32 pm 

The solos were actually pretty sweet. Too bad the rest of the song was almost impressively mediocre. No interesting riffs, insipid vocals, fairly uninspired drumming.

Also, repeating the phrase 'WE ARE THE _______' in lyrics will always sound dumb and corny, no matter what you fill in the blank with.

mastamonkeynutz wrote:
Also if you want to make a joke please do so but please put lol after so I can know that Fred Durst isn't really dead.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:52 pm 

The second vocalist (?) (I'm assuming by the music video), is awful with that thick accent making his words sound goofy as hell. Did not need to be.

I'm just unimpressed, it sounds like a rejected Goatwhore song featuring a guest vocalist. And what some poster said about the absolute shite lyrics is spot on.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:04 pm 

Team Rock wrote:
Joey Jordison... supergroup...

I mean that right there is enough to turn most people away instantly. Dear god, that track is awful.

My collection

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:41 am 

Rykov wrote:
The solos were actually pretty sweet. Too bad the rest of the song was almost impressively mediocre. No interesting riffs, insipid vocals, fairly uninspired drumming.

Also, repeating the phrase 'WE ARE THE _______' in lyrics will always sound dumb and corny, no matter what you fill in the blank with.

Yeah, the solo was great; I like it. The rest was some kind of pretty standard death metal, more than black. And yes, the vocals are weak.

laxskinn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:35 am 

I'll just echo what most people said. A bit boring a first but got a bit better halfway through, so it might be worth to check out some more songs before dismissing it. And yeah, the lyrics. Sure if they'd been in their teens and came from a country where people barely speak english, but like this it's just embarrassing.

Foxx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:32 am 

That was pretty goofy.

~Guest 343918
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:49 am 

They should go on tour with Phil Anselmo's Scour. The tour could start in, I don't know, let's say Syria.

Dead1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:03 pm 

Reminds me of Satyricon circa Now Diabolical. It's ok but could do with a bit of editing and a helluva lot more in the way of intensity. Army of Chaos implies carnage, not ploddy and lethargic - I think the problem here is the "lazy" guitar tone.

HideYourHole
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:13 pm 

Not a big fan. Like others mention sounds like a Satyricon B side.

Attilla's parts were probably my favorite, though.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:32 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
This was the most generic festival metal I've heard in a long time. Really strange that Attila would be involved in such a band.

My thoughts exactly, bats. This is about as safe as humanly possible.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:43 pm 

A goddamn castle of a drumkit which he probably really only uses about a fourth of - but how could one tell since it is as stupidly overedited as nearly every other "music video" on the planet so that you can never see what anyone's doing on their respective instruments - and making goofy faces doesn't impress me neither, nor the actual looks of the people involved. So it SHOULD and WOULD be up for the music to convey any sense of meaning or significance, but alas, this is not to be. I don't think I need to utter my verdict on this piece of art at this point anymore, do I?

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:44 pm 

Well, that was quite dull. But... "WE ARE THE ARMY OF CHAOSSSS"!!! :lol:
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:48 pm 

Ugh. Reminds me of 'I Am Morbid'. A really hokey attempt at a live staple.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:50 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:

To be honest, I think if you ask Attila to do vocals for your band, he'll do.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:57 pm 

[quote="droneriot"
To be honest, I think if you ask Attila to do vocals for your band, he'll do.[/quote]
Really? :scratch:
Well, I think I only need a band. Then Attila's fame will make our unbelievably untalented band famous, too.
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:43 am 

You can find the album artwork and tracklisting if you search the band on Spotify. Apparently, it is a 21-song album, in which every normal track is followed by an interlude/transition track of some sorts. I can't tell if this works or not since I have not heard the album, but twenty one songs is a lot.

Yes it is.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:43 am 

You just made me turn off Autopsy for this garbage.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:56 am 

LefterisK wrote:
You can find the album artwork and tracklisting if you search the band on Spotify. Apparently, it is a 21-song album, in which every normal track is followed by an interlude/transition track of some sorts. I can't tell if this works or not since I have not heard the album, but twenty one songs is a lot.

Oh is that what they're going for? It's like 1349's Demonoir or Rites of the Black Mass, and those didn't work at all.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:03 am 

huh. this stupid. but if it gets the more mainstream crowd into better music, who cares. I think JJ doing drums for a project like this is neat enough.

Just listened to some of the actual album and man, that format is....not good...

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:19 am 

LefterisK wrote:

I'm getting Nightfall in Middle-Earth vibes from this. A dedicated listening session of this album is either gonna be incredible or insufferable, with very little middle ground in between.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:19 pm 

And I repeat that that Scour track was useless shit, but this is two steps below even that.

Like something I read in a Garfield comic once: "Every time you think you can't think any lower, someone gives you a shovel."

I mean, you can tell that this is way shittier than Scour because there's not been a single "you only hate it because Joey Jordinson is in it"-post yet. Even the shitty super group apologist crowd doesn't doubt that everyone genuinely thinks it sucks.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:30 am 

I thought I recognized the bald guitarist, turns out he's the main man of Loudblast. Really surprised that none of these so called "metal journalist" websites even mentioned that, but then again they are most likely too busy sucking Corey Taylor's dick to even pay attention to something like Loudblast. Probably don't even know who they are...

Anyway, the song is definitely boring and not really interesting in any way. But maybe due to Stephane's involvement, something interesting may come of the project.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next