Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:16 pm 

Wow I honestly didnt realize they were releasing a new album.
Single was released.
Quote:
The wait is finally over. From September 27th, 2017 onward ENSIFERUM will present their long awaited seventh album – which will be released worldwide on September 15th via Metal Blade Records – live on stage. ENSIFERUM will split their European tour into two parts. The first part will be in September with six dates in three countries, and then in April 2018 there will be an extended tour through many more European countries. In between ENSIFERUM will visit all other continents. So you can look forward to a full dose of live power in September!
TWO PATHS: THE BEGINNING – TOUR 2017
ENSIFERUM
+ special guest
26/09/17 DE – Bochum – Zeche
27/09/17 DE – Langen – Stadthalle
28/09/17 NL – Arnhem – Luxor Live
29/09/17 DE – Berlin – SO36
30/09/17 DE – Osnabrück – Hyde Park
01/10/17 FR – Paris – La Machine

Norrmania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:15 pm 

Not bad, interested to hear the rest of the album.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:27 pm 

I really want to get excited about new Ensiferum records but after the last two, I am not going to hold my breath. The new song sounds pretty good, but not any better than the singles from the previous two albums.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:08 am 

It sounds pretty similar to the last album, which is not bad at all. Perhaps I would skip some parts and let the song doesn´t last more than four minutes but its a good track. Nice artwork, as usual.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:38 pm 

Yep, sounds like Ensiferum. The last album was just okay, and it's clear they're running out of ideas. Not going to bother buying this, but hopefully they'll plan a US tour around it since they're always fun live.

Exonerated Soul
Totally not affiliated with Eric Hoffman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:46 pm 

They've gotten very boring as of late.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:59 am 

Petri should be thankful he has been able to sleepwalk the last ~10 years of his career in Ensiferum. Damn he hasn't changed at all... just makes me wish for when Norther was half-decent.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:46 am 

Boring and generic, just like the last few albums. For Those About to Fight for Metal? Sorry, these guys aren't Manowar... that silly crap just doesn't cut it in some aging folk metal band way past its prime.

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:00 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:11 pm 

exsiccation wrote:
I think I can say after listening to that song that I am now completely sick of poppy, power-folk metal. It was already kind of boring back in 2006 or so, but now it is kind of just grating.

I got the exact same feeling listening to this song :boring:

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:10 pm 

It's a shame because From Afar was a great album that showed they were capable of spicing up what was starting to become a fairly predictable sound, and I was hoping they'd continue on that path...but I guess not. And yeah, this whole Manowar-lite thing on some of their songs is weird.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:25 am 

"For those about to fight for metal"

Excuse me while I go and cringe under my couch for a few hours

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:39 am 

That is one of the stupidest titles I have ever seen, and I have seen all of Cannibal Corpse's song titles.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:48 pm 

youtube :(

Tobias Machytka wrote:
I actually cryed a little and coulnd´t stop smiling. Like it´s Christmas and Santa comes in on a viking ship with Ensiferum and 13 little elves all staring deep into my metalsoul and transporting me back to the first time i listened to Ensiferum!

and someone replied:
Geeky Metalhead wrote:
And there's bottles of mead everywhere

followed by:
Sinnssyke Katten wrote:
;-; .I'm actually crying right now, so perfect

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:33 pm 

Never scroll down a youtube video

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:08 pm 

lmao at least they are happy I guess. As far as youtube goes that's pretty OK.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:05 pm 

Pretty much everything about that song is bad.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:15 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
lmao at least they are happy I guess. As far as youtube goes that's pretty OK.

Sounds like your typical campfire folk metal fan who talks a lot about mead while having never touched alcohol and usually listens to these tracks on streaming sites while drinking an energy drink. I.e., me ten years ago.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:52 pm 

Honestly, I think y'all're kinda nuts. That's the best single they've had in like eight years. I'm with Gnu in that I wish they would have continued to push themselves after From Afar because they knew they were getting stale and at least made a conscious effort to address that problem, but honestly, this one sounds like they've settled in nicely and they've cranked out a good song to show for it. When it comes to full albums they're almost always hit or miss but they're at their best when they're going for fast and epic, which is exactly what this song was. Yeah it adheres to the Ensiferum Formula but I've been drinking this Kool-Aid since Iron and think their only bad album was Unsung Heroes, so what do I know? The theme and lyrics were pretty dumb but this band lives and dies on the melodies and choruses, and this song delivered on both of them so I'm satisfied.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:26 pm 

New video released.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:43 pm 

ChildClownOutlet wrote:
New video released.

I can't tell if that was depressingly serious or it's just a well crafted parody.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:41 pm 

Jesus Christ it's like they've been releasing the exact same song for the last 4 albums. Why anyone would listen to this when the first two (or even three) albums already exists is beyond me.
Encloaked

Tecnimas
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:24 pm 

Well, for me it's still better than the last two albums, I'm waiting to listen the whole album expecting a return to their originality of their masterpieces. I keep dreaming.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:44 pm 

Dust off your drinking horn, made in China kilt and Korpiklaani shirts.. 2008 has arrived!

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:26 pm 

Eh, I'd say One Man Army is a decent 7/10 strictly for Heathen Horde and Two of Spades, but Unsung Heroes is shit all around.
The last 2 songs havent done much for me.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:25 pm 

This song was fine I guess but it was sorta fillery, which is probably what the whole album will sound like in all honesty but I'll probably like it just fine anyway because I'm a dork.

I like to imagine that the video was Ensiferum's way of saying "HEY LOOK WE ALREADY HAVE A SAUNA!"
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:18 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
ChildClownOutlet wrote:
New video released.

I can't tell if that was depressingly serious or it's just a well crafted parody.

I think they've just been watching too much of The Dudesons. I actually really liked this song. So far this album is shaping up to be the best since From Afar.

jjohn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:55 am 

It's not bad....
The videoclip is weird as f*ck though but that's another matter.

Song is nice, yes, it's style has been done to death, but it's catchy and it's probably going to slay live too...

That being said, apparently longest song on album will be freaking 'For Those About to Fight For Metal'. So a nice huge song like 'Passion Proof Power' will be missing and for me these were the hightlights.

Anyway, I'm a shameless ensiferum fanboy so I'll probably love it.

FunkyBurlin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:26 pm 

I'm surprised Ensiferum still has fans willing to shell out money for their garbage music. This is probably going to be better then their last album, but it'll still be boring, recycled, and irrelevant.

Norrmania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:17 pm 

ChildClownOutlet wrote:
New video released.

Maybe I'm the only one that likes this. Frankly at this point I don't much care if this sounds like a 2008 flashback I like it better than the first song posted and more than any other Ensiferum song I've heard for quite a few years now. You can always say things like "why listen album x when album y exists," but frankly I did enjoy some of the stalwarts of the folk metal craze and Ensiferum were one of them. It's hardly anything new or "original" in their discography to be sure, but I think its fun and will probably buy the album at some point.

FunkyBurlin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:21 pm 

Norrmania wrote:
Maybe I'm the only one that likes this. Frankly at this point I don't much care if this sounds like a 2008 flashback I like it better than the first song posted and more than any other Ensiferum song I've heard for quite a few years now. You can always say things like "why listen album x when album y exists," but frankly I did enjoy some of the stalwarts of the folk metal craze and Ensiferum were one of them. It's hardly anything new or "original" in their discography to be sure, but I think its fun and will probably buy the album at some point.

I personally still play their first two albums every so often, I still love those. Then choice songs off From Afar and Victory Songs as well. I have used that argument before for some albums and bands. I just don't think Ensiferum's stuff is good musically anymore. If they were more identical in structure to the first albums and songs, then I would probably like it even though it would be kinda samey. That's how I feel about Tyr (I enjoy all of their albums thoroughly). Ensiferum's original sound was unique as it was. I think they've hit a creative wall and are perfectly fine catering to the few fans they have left. Like Turisas.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:18 pm 

FunkyBurlin wrote:
I personally still play their first two albums every so often, I still love those. Then choice songs off From Afar and Victory Songs as well. I have used that argument before for some albums and bands. I just don't think Ensiferum's stuff is good musically anymore. If they were more identical in structure to the first albums and songs, then I would probably like it even though it would be kinda samey. That's how I feel about Tyr (I enjoy all of their albums thoroughly). Ensiferum's original sound was unique as it was. I think they've hit a creative wall and are perfectly fine catering to the few fans they have left. Like Turisas.

I think the combo of Markus' catchy, upbeat melodies and riffing + Jari's more melancholic sensibilities, his talents as a lead guitarist/vocalist and more prog-tinged ideas are what made those first two albums so interesting and lovable. The new stuff has the same rote holly-jolly battle stuff going on that was always there but there doesn't seem to be anything else to sorta balance it out to keep it from sounding like bandwagon bullshit.

I also feel like Ensiferum (and Tyr, whose singles from newer albums have also done nothing for me) used to write songs about things. Like they would write a song with a concept that felt specific and authentic which lent their music to having this story-telling quality. Now these bands just seem to write general shit that's more about getting kids with plastic swords drunk than anything else. Both bands had songs like this on their first couple albums but at least they were still doing interesting shit on a musical level to keep things exciting.
Encloaked

jjohn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:57 pm 

If I were to rank their albums, I'd probably have them like this.

From Afar> One Man Army > Iron > Victory Songs > Unsung Heroes == Ensiferum

I think One Man Army is perhaps a bit underrated.
Some of my favourite songs of the band are in there.

Cry For The Earth Bounds in particular is AMAZING. It's atmosphere combines both epicness and emotional moments with haunting vocals by Netta and probably the best performance that Petri has ever given. Even the lyrics are not bad:

Your fights
Are over now
Lay down and sleep
Gone are
All hate and love
For eternity

No eyes to see
When the last light that dwindles
Fades to nothingness
No souls to save
In the endless darkness
No hope, no forgiveness

And there is also Neito Pohjola (or Candour & Lies which I prefer) and many individual moments too.

Yes some of nu-ensiferum is indeed very warlike and totally STUPID, but really it's not all of it.

The better Half of Unsung Heroes is almost only clean-vocals as the metal parts on that album are rather weak.

That's why I'm a bit concerned about the new album. I feel it's going to be so live-oriented that it won't have any space for such tracks :(

I sound like a massive twat, I know, but Ensiferum is like untouchable for me :P

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:23 pm 

jjohn wrote:
If I were to rank their albums, I'd probably have them like this.

From Afar> One Man Army > Iron > Victory Songs > Unsung Heroes == Ensiferum

I think One Man Army is perhaps a bit underrated.
Some of my favourite songs of the band are in there.

Cry For The Earth Bounds in particular is AMAZING. It's atmosphere combines both epicness and emotional moments with haunting vocals by Netta and probably the best performance that Petri has ever given. Even the lyrics are not bad:

Your fights
Are over now
Lay down and sleep
Gone are
All hate and love
For eternity

No eyes to see
When the last light that dwindles
Fades to nothingness
No souls to save
In the endless darkness
No hope, no forgiveness

And there is also Neito Pohjola (or Candour & Lies which I prefer) and many individual moments too.

Yes some of nu-ensiferum is indeed very warlike and totally STUPID, but really it's not all of it.

The better Half of Unsung Heroes is almost only clean-vocals as the metal parts on that album are rather weak.

That's why I'm a bit concerned about the new album. I feel it's going to be so live-oriented that it won't have any space for such tracks :(

I sound like a massive twat, I know, but Ensiferum is like untouchable for me :P

whoa whoa, how is the self titled equal to UH.

I'd do From Afar=Iron>Ensiferum>VS>One Man Army>UH

jjohn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:01 pm 

Δεν μου αρέσουν τα αργά του :)

and in English: I don't like the slow songs on that disc :)

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:58 pm 

Element_man wrote:
FunkyBurlin wrote:

I think the combo of Markus' catchy, upbeat melodies and riffing + Jari's more melancholic sensibilities, his talents as a lead guitarist/vocalist and more prog-tinged ideas are what made those first two albums so interesting and lovable. The new stuff has the same rote holly-jolly battle stuff going on that was always there but there doesn't seem to be anything else to sorta balance it out to keep it from sounding like bandwagon bullshit.

I also feel like Ensiferum (and Tyr, whose singles from newer albums have also done nothing for me) used to write songs about things. Like they would write a song with a concept that felt specific and authentic which lent their music to having this story-telling quality. Now these bands just seem to write general shit that's more about getting kids with plastic swords drunk than anything else. Both bands had songs like this on their first couple albums but at least they were still doing interesting shit on a musical level to keep things exciting.

Basically, Ensiferum became a beer folk metal band (as I call them, like Korpiklaani, Trollfest/Finntroll and all their clones).

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:35 pm 

Ensiferum definitely has gotten shallower/stupider over the years but the biggest hindrance they've struggled with throughout their career has always been the same one Jari has struggled with separately in Wintersun. I initially thought it was just a Jari thing but the passage of time shows me that Markus sucks at this too, but the real problem is that they just can not for the life of them write a good slow song. They're always trying, every album has a ballad or a trotting downtempo tune but they're always the lowlights of any given album. 100% of the time. When they're fast and melodic, they're excellent, but the lower the tempo goes, the less interesting the song becomes, basically the only exceptions throughout their entire career have been Dragonheads and Wanderer. So it's really no surprise that the album with only one slow song (Victory Songs) is the best one while the one with like seven (Unsung Heroes) is the worst.

So yes, the self titled is one of their worst albums but it's for the same reason Nightfall in Middle Earth is one of the worst Blind Guardian albums. Even though I'd rank both of those near the bottom of their respective discographies, they each have like six of the bands' best songs on them. If the s/t was full of songs like Hero in a Dream, Battle Song, Guardians of Fate, Windrider, etc., it'd be one of my all time favorite albums. Unfortunately we also got Old Man and Eternal Wait and half of Little Dreamer and they all just grind the momentum of the album to a screeching halt.

Basically the point of all this is to illustrate why Unsung Heroes was a bad album and why I like these two songs despite the fact that they've clearly struck a formula and show no signs of deviating from it.

FunkyBurlin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:58 pm 

Element_man wrote:
I actually agree with you. Tyr's lyrical choice is kinda forgettable these days. I do though enjoy their music still, so I'm not complaining much. But albums like Ragnorok and Land seem like ages ago now. I don't yearn for their past like Ensiferum though, as I feel their music is still great and enjoyable in it's own right.

But here is the subjective part I guess. One band's formula over another's.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:13 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Ensiferum definitely has gotten shallower/stupider over the years but the biggest hindrance they've struggled with throughout their career has always been the same one Jari has struggled with separately in Wintersun. I initially thought it was just a Jari thing but the passage of time shows me that Markus sucks at this too, but the real problem is that they just can not for the life of them write a good slow song. They're always trying, every album has a ballad or a trotting downtempo tune but they're always the lowlights of any given album. 100% of the time. When they're fast and melodic, they're excellent, but the lower the tempo goes, the less interesting the song becomes, basically the only exceptions throughout their entire career have been Dragonheads and Wanderer. So it's really no surprise that the album with only one slow song (Victory Songs) is the best one while the one with like seven (Unsung Heroes) is the worst.

So yes, the self titled is one of their worst albums but it's for the same reason Nightfall in Middle Earth is one of the worst Blind Guardian albums. Even though I'd rank both of those near the bottom of their respective discographies, they each have like six of the bands' best songs on them. If the s/t was full of songs like Hero in a Dream, Battle Song, Guardians of Fate, Windrider, etc., it'd be one of my all time favorite albums. Unfortunately we also got Old Man and Eternal Wait and half of Little Dreamer and they all just grind the momentum of the album to a screeching halt.

Basically the point of all this is to illustrate why Unsung Heroes was a bad album and why I like these two songs despite the fact that they've clearly struck a formula and show no signs of deviating from it.

Do people not like Old Man? I noticed a lot of people say it's bad and I thought it's a fantastic song.

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:55 am 

Speaking of Tyr, I wish they would release something new . . .

Anyway, both songs were totally forgettable, tedious folky melodies, gallopy riffs, pseudo brass. Goddamn, the film clip was poor too. That said, I've never really gotten into this band except for From Afar and I enjoyed that quite a lot. I guess I will always at least try new material by these guys despite it being almost uniformly boring like much of their output.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next