Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:37 pm 

Caoimhín are a band I have been watching for a while now and finally they have released their debut ep through Black Lion which will soon be followed by a full length later in the year. The new ep is made up of two long playing tracks, themed on norse mythology and delivered in epic fashion, with plenty of atmosphere and also some neoclassical sections, making great use of ethereal female vocals particularly on the first track 'Víðarr'. Track 2 'Níðhöggr' showcases the more agressive side of the band with plenty of rasped vocals present while still retaining a sense of beauty. Keys and acoustics are used to great effect throughout the ep making for a damn solid package. I get the feeling this is only the tip of the iceberg for these guys and one to certainly keep and eye on if you enjoy epic or atmospheric black metal.

https://caoimhnblacklion.bandcamp.com/a ... -wolves-ep

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:59 pm 

I picked up a copy. I'm really enjoying this, especially the first song. Honestly I'm not crazy about the harsh vocalist on the 2nd track... he's a bit loud in the mix and something about his performance doesn't quite match the song to my ears. But the music rules, and the female vocals from Cecilie are incredible (as always from whatever band she's singing in).

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:05 am 

Yeah I threw them a few bucks as soon as I heard this, which I only discovered when it popped up on your page STORMM.. really great stuff, I hope the band continue along in the same vein and continue to emphasize Cecilie's wonderful vocals.

Last edited by pfk505 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Myrkrarfar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:37 am 

Well, this was pretty fucking awesome. Beautiful and atmospheric, and great vocals. Instabuy on the digipak.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:46 pm 

I muet add at 4 euro this is excellent value from Black Lion. Glad to see some of you guys digging this as did I.

Dr_Prozac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:12 am 

I got really impressed by Víðarr; perfect combination of female vocals and beautiful atmosphere. However, Níðhöggr didn't do it for me. Also, I would prefer to have 4 shorter songs rather than these two overly long track.

I hope they go the melodic way (like in the first song) rather than the harsh one in the full length, if they do it can be a very good album.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:26 am 

I have really enjoyed this one, the female vocals are beautiful though I think the first track is too if we take into account its homogeneous nature. On the other hand, the second one was more twicks and its more intereesting, I would love to listen to more combinations of both vocal styles.

Reply to topic