Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
I Hate Bonobos
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:15 pm 

Absurd all the way, no other band will ever be able to conciliate black metal with punk/hardcore as good as they used to. Probably the only black metal band I like that I would call mosh-able.

Also, though they turned almost absolute shit in recent years, I have to open an exception to this cover in particular.

ProfoundCarnage
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:42 am 

Sigh is pretty damn fun, especially Imaginary Sonicscape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIJ56d-8yPs

Faxed Head is another one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey0mkZsuC9o

that song's pretty straightforward BM but they have more comedic songs

it depends what you're considering to be fun though. I'm thinking more along the lines of self aware humour and mixing styles.

Warty_basaloid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:26 am 

BM is and always has been fun.
Spoiler: show

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:27 pm 

This thread needs more Sportlov. For those who don't speak Swedish "sportlov" means "spring break". "Snöbollskrieg" is a word that combines Swedish and German that means "snowball fight". All their songs and also the band members aliases are Swedish puns related to snow, skiing etc. Plus they are awesome :D

arnvidr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:49 am 

How has Nattens Madrigal not been mentioned? The happiest black metal album in my collection.

Littlewolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:41 am 

I remembered this guy when somebody asked for a recommendation for 'happy' BM. Pure joy and happyness!
The irony is that (as far as I can understand Norwegian) Sorgsvart means 'black sorrow' or something like that...

https://youtu.be/9KOnHubFEp8

LordFashHeart
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:00 pm 

Always found this song to be pretty upbeat and fun, if you can consider it black metal.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:46 am 

My first obvious thought when I saw this thread was Sielunvihollinen (can't believe I can type this band name by memory now) They are quite "black n roll"-ish with guitar leads throughout most of their songs, but they have a good mix of classic black metal riffs too. Their new album just came out Friday and I think they have perfected their style with this one. I've listened to it a few times and it totally kicks ass! Some of their previous stuff might be even more "fun".

https://sielunvihollinen.bandcamp.com/album/ruhonkantaja

Axalcathu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:11 pm 

I wonder that no one mentioned Witchery in this thread. Their first three albums sounds like real demons party at the graveyard with busty horned chicks and megalitres of Jack Daniels.

And remember Demoniac - before they changed name to shitty Dragonforce thay played absolutely crazy black thrash metal

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:32 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
The other thing I've been thinking about is the fact that at its core, black metal is very similar to pop-punk. Switch to a major scale and half the time it's basically Blink-182.

Same for Thrash Metal. Switch "Kill 'em All" to a major scale and you get Green Day's "Dookie".
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

squidrick9042
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:58 pm 

NO FUN, NO MOSH, NO CORE!

Sorry, had to post the Deathlike Silence slogan since it fits this thread nicely. I think bands can have fun with black metal if they want to and it isn't a huge deal but overall I see black metal as a more serious genre than a lot of other metal sub-genres. Obviously stuff like Immortal has some satirical value to it in terms of aesthetics but musically they are more serious. Then there is the newer Darkthrone stuff which up until Arctic Thunder has been pretty fun but also only loosely black metal with more influences from classic heavy metal, thrash, punk, and other genres with more inherent fun than black metal. Same deal with some mid era Satyricon, I mean it is kinda hard to not have fun listening to Now Diabolical.

I think fun is really subjective at the end of the day and even if the musicians had fun making the music it doesn't necessarily make the music itself sound fun. For all we know some of the DSBM bands out there had a blast in the studio but at the end of the day that sub-genre is pretty much the antithesis of fun.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:03 pm 

Riffy black metal is fun black metal. Finnish stuff like Horna is a good example. I think a great recent example would be Ctulu's self titled from last year. Full of great fun and melodic riffs.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:13 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
Ctulu's self titled from last year

:nods: This was pretty fucking good, pity nobody knows about these guys.

U472439
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:59 pm 

Aura Noir is great at this, tho half the reason why is because they bring thrash to their black metal. See also Nifelheim, who not only bring thrash, but NWOBHM.

Dr_Prozac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:57 am 

I'm not sure if I've understood what you mean exactly with "fun" but, if you mean melodic BM with emotional riffs, early Siebenbürgen is a must

Also, if you want some punkish BM, some Impaled Nazarene will do

narsilianshard wrote:
The other thing I've been thinking about is the fact that at its core, black metal is very similar to pop-punk. Switch to a major scale and half the time it's basically Blink-182

Didn't know about this similarity with pop-punk but rumour has it that BM is in fact heavily distorted 60's surf rock :lol:

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:59 am 

I don't know if the project was born out of fun or by a genuine obsession for fairies, but Nuit Noire is an explosive mix of dozens of fast epic melodies, total sloppiness and .."unconventional" vocals.
He surely seems to have fun!

Also is the first black metal band to write the line
"I hate you fucking cars because you kill the animals" Wich deserves a prize alone :lol:

FuneralDeity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:38 pm 

ProfoundCarnage wrote:
Faxed Head is another one

Loves me some Faxed Head. Exhumed at Birth is one of those fucked up albums that almost defies genres. I'm glad to see someone else is aware of it.

As far as fun and black metal goes, the first thing I think of is Vondur.

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:49 am 

I realize you'll be thrown off by the deadly serious name and band interviews which are totally not retarded, but Shitfucker cranks out some fun tunes.

Another shocker, but Bestial Mockery's scholarly chainsaw obsession and classy band photos belie a knack for catchy black/thrash.

This speaks for itself.

Are we having fun yet? Let's go old-school with fucking Bulldozer!

Some others that fit the bill: Lugubrum, NME, Carpathian Forest, Diavolos.

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Also is the first black metal band to write the line
"I hate you fucking cars because you kill the animals" Wich deserves a prize alone :lol:

Odds are good they're the only black metal band to write that line.

brightfield
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:06 pm 

Lugubrum and Maniac Butcher.

stevetehgreate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:59 pm 

I am seriously upset that nobody mentioned Goatwhore.One of the few bands that give me boners with their riffs.

Mikolaj
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:44 am 

Actually I find black metal to be a quite fun metal genre overall. Perhaps not the second wave sound but the modern black /avantgarde black movement has some really fun acts. I mean, is there a more fun band than Sigh in metal? Also, Oranssi Pazuzu, Diabolical Masquerade or The Meads of Asphodel are all "fun" black metal bands.

Headless420
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:50 am 

DecemberSoul wrote:
into_the_pit wrote:
imo vlad tepes always seemed to "have fun" doing what they were doing, but then again maybe I'm just projecting my own enjoyment here.

Actually, the very instant I read Vlad Tepes, "Raven's hike" started playing in my mind, so yeah, I can agree with you to some extent.

That fucking song is so incredible.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2