Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:35 am 

http://metalnexus.net/review-ghost-bath ... ck-stream/

So Ghost Bath are back with a new album. The last one seemed to divide those who heard it. Some said it was just a copy of Deafheavens Sunbather (and those who already hated that record obviously disliked Ghost Bath also) while other thought it had more depth than just being copy cats. I am one who thought it was excellent and that the musicianship and thought process behind the tracks were on a different level compared to Deafheaven (even though they obviously travel through the same territory).

So far there is one new song released, linked in the article above, and it does show promise but with a glaring error. What did they think when they included the melodic part that first starts at 01:30? Not only is it a blatant copying of their own (excellent) track Golden Number (01:47) from Moonlover it is also a really crappy melody. Not only do they copy themselves, they do so with a vastly inferior melody line. I don't get it. Was there no quality control? The rest of the track is fine to me but rarely have I heard a song where the overall impression has been dragged down so much from one little riff or melody line.

I'm not sure if I look forward to hearing the rest or not... :-/
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

frostjunkie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:46 am 

This band was better when they were from China.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:23 am 

I'm more concerned with this album being 71 minutes long. One of the edges Moonlover has over Sunbather is that it's noticeably shorter (one of the things Deafheaven would correct themselves with their followup). I don't think I want to listen to over an hour of this.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:57 am 

Moonlover was seriously excellent. Pretty interested to see how this turns out. But yeah 71 minutes is too long for pretty much any album. In don't know why bands do this.

edit: oh shit they are on Nuclear Blast now? I was a little concerned when I saw that, but the production actually sounds really awesome.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:10 pm 

I enjoyed Moonlover quite a bit. I really dig the album art for this one.

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:51 pm 

I like this band a lot. Looking forward to this!

0th
Suicidal Angel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:39 pm 

Media hype. And I won't expect this overrated band, there are more depressive/post-black metal bands way better than Ghost Bath.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:22 am 

PvtNinjer wrote:
Moonlover was seriously excellent. Pretty interested to see how this turns out. But yeah 71 minutes is too long for pretty much any album. In don't know why bands do this.

edit: oh shit they are on Nuclear Blast now? I was a little concerned when I saw that, but the production actually sounds really awesome.

+1. 71 minutes is too much for this stuff(and well, for almost every style).

The new song´s production is perfect, artwork is good as the track is but it has some sections which I don´t enjoy too much. Lets hope that the álbum is better.

I don´t see the comparison with Deafheven.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:59 am 

I have to say the new song had some parts that were a bit cheesy. I know that they had similar parts on Moonlover, but it felt a bit forced to me on this one, like they said "oh we gotta put a pop punk sounding part here".

despotband
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:38 am 

Today I discovered that Ghost Bath isn't a joke band, that they're signed to Nuclear Blast and that there's a bunch of you who actually like them. Whoa.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:13 am 

Life is full of surprises!

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:47 am 

That Thrones single is a jarring clusterfuck of pop punk melodies & blastbeats with distant goat screams on top. An interesting combination to say the least. :ugh:

Last edited by IamDBR on Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:41 pm 

Massively overrated and exceedingly dull.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:15 pm 

Wow, this "Thrones" song is absolutely fucking atrocious. Basically everything I hate about this style of metal in one - overproduced, over-layered, too polished for extreme music, lots of goofy sound effects. Fuck, it's bad.

WeirdoYYY
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:29 pm 

Very few albums warrant 71 minutes. The digital age has given a lot of compromise to musicians who wanna needlessly wank off longer than what most people can sit around and take. I like that vinyl and other physical formats had a bit of a limitation so it forced you to reconsider or else your crap has to be a double or triple LP.

Flood the tunnels to flush out the rats

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:05 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Wow, this "Thrones" song is absolutely fucking atrocious. Basically everything I hate about this style of metal in one - overproduced, over-layered, too polished for extreme music, lots of goofy sound effects. Fuck, it's bad.

Are you a fan of their previous release or do you dislike this style in general?
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

~Guest 343918
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:34 am 

It's pretty hard to take seriously a band that once pretended to be Chinese and admits they have no lyrics while also claiming that the songs "deal with Jewish angelology" or some shit.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:05 am 

InnesI wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Are you a fan of their previous release or do you dislike this style in general?

I liked Deafheaven, which this was compared to, and never heard anything else by these guys before.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:05 pm 

New track:

I love the second part of this song. So simple - so effective. Got my hopes up quite a bit :-D And I've been listening to the Thrones track as well and I like everything in it except the part I described in the initial post. So far, so good....
Ad hominem

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:26 pm 

There's a lot of hate for this band. Seriously, the whole China thing was a joke people need to get over it! It was misquoted in an interview that they are from North Dakota so jokingly they said might as well be from china. Moonlover was one of my favs from last year and hopefully Starmourner will be just as good. These guys sound nothing like deafheaven.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:39 pm 

I just don't get the point of this. Listening to "Thrones" now and there is no atmosphere at all. No emotion nor imagery is evoked. It's just kinda there. Call me crazy but I think atmospheric black metal should, you know, have atmosphere.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:57 am 

conquer__all wrote:
There's a lot of hate for this band. Seriously, the whole China thing was a joke people need to get over it! It was misquoted in an interview that they are from North Dakota so jokingly they said might as well be from china. Moonlover was one of my favs from last year and hopefully Starmourner will be just as good. These guys sound nothing like deafheaven.

Wrong, wrong, and... wrong.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:19 am 

So the Chinese album, songs and band member names on their early releases are a result of said quote taken out of context as well? :lol:

At any rate, I sampled a few studio and live snippets a while ago and found them laughably terrible, so as far as I'm concerned there was not much for such a retarded publicity stunt to ruin from the get go. If people dig 'em, good news for them. There are worse things in life.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:05 pm 

this band is doo doo haha

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:58 pm 

I'm surprise the Chinese gimmick is such a big thing for some (it must be because it is constantly brought up when this band is discussed). I kind of wish they had stuck with that idea and built something larger based on that. But in the end I like them because of the music of course. I think I heard them before I heard of the gimmick actually. But they do seem like a band where there is not much in between. You either like them or you don't. The only thing I wish they would change is the vocals. I'm not a huge fan of the DSBM vocal style.
Ad hominem

CircleovZaphyan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:49 am 

https://youtu.be/HOF7tk-WcrM

Peyp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:57 am 

So...how was it?

As far as I can tell, there's not a YouTube rip or Spotify version up, and nobody on this site has reviewed it yet...I think that's fair enough justification for me to ask.
Due to the unfortunate reality of our guitarist fucking my girlfriend of almost 7 years WITCHROT will be taking an extended hiatus. I however will continue the band in another space and time... Thanks for the support, stay heavy. Also our drummer died...

RIP DIAMHEA

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:04 am 

CircleovZaphyan wrote:

It amazes me how much time some people spend just to speak sh*t about bands they don´t like.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:52 pm 

InnesI wrote:
I'm surprise the Chinese gimmick is such a big thing for some (it must be because it is constantly brought up when this band is discussed). I kind of wish they had stuck with that idea and built something larger based on that. But in the end I like them because of the music of course. I think I heard them before I heard of the gimmick actually. But they do seem like a band where there is not much in between. You either like them or you don't. The only thing I wish they would change is the vocals. I'm not a huge fan of the DSBM vocal style.

Well, it's a "big thing" because is exemplifies the farce that black metal has, in many ways, become. It's ironically not about the music when it boils down to a lot of this, but tangential posturing to fit a particular kvlt-standard that seems to sell the band to the mindless as much as the music itself. It becomes something it shouldn't be about, and it's oftentimes based on pure fabrication.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:51 am 

Diamhea wrote:
Well, it's a "big thing" because is exemplifies the farce that black metal has, in many ways, become. It's ironically not about the music when it boils down to a lot of this, but tangential posturing to fit a particular kvlt-standard that seems to sell the band to the mindless as much as the music itself. It becomes something it shouldn't be about, and it's oftentimes based on pure fabrication.

For people with their head on their shoulders I think black metal was always a farce though - that some took seriously. Obviously it might have been hard to see it that way if one was about the same age as the musicians around the time of the second wave (go back and read some Euronomyous interviews for example). I think black metal today, not just referring to fringe bands like Ghost Bath, is way more mature and a lot less farcical than ever really.
Ad hominem

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:26 am 

I never heard Moonlover, only their debut Funeral and judging by this "Ambrosial" track, this band has improved at least a little bit. The debut was basically solid but way too overlong considering how little variety (the metal parts of) the album had. The folk "chinese" interludes were just godawful too. The actual BM riffing seems to have improved by now, and the vocalist is thankfully expanding beyond the DSBM shrieks to more growling. I don't have a problem with the DSBM vocals, but they're not appropriate for this band to use exclusively, considering how downright happy their music sounds half the time. Ghost Bath is really good at those plaintive guitar melodies/noodles, almost gives their music a cathartic skramz/emo vibe.

I'll definitely check this out, but the fact that it's 70 minutes makes me cautious. It'll probably be a little better than Funeral, but not by as much as I'd hope, considering the time that has passed.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:41 am 

Peyp wrote:
So...how was it?

As far as I can tell, there's not a YouTube rip or Spotify version up, and nobody on this site has reviewed it yet...I think that's fair enough justification for me to ask.

Well... It's not out till April 21st according to the video, so... :lol:

I enjoyed Ambrosial way more than Thrones. The song evolves in a very satisfying way, especially leading into that droning section. Contrary to most others, I actually like the usage of DSBM shrieks by these guys, which is funny because I am generally not a fan of that style at all. They aren't really in your face, they just blend into the music. And yeah Exodus, I agree there's definitely an emo vibe with the music. I know that will definitely rub some people the wrong way, but I happen to really enjoy it when it works.

Peyp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:26 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
Peyp wrote:
So...how was it?

Well... It's not out till April 21st according to the video, so... :lol:

...Oh crap, I wrote "March 21" in my calendar... it also doesn't help that they promoted the album in March and haven't done any more as of late...

It's pretty easy to impress me when it comes to metal (for pete's sake, I took a small liking to Sonata Arctica's latest album!), so I think I'll end up impressed with most of their songs. What does concern me, like what TheExodusAttack said, was the runtime. I thought that Moonlover had a perfect runtime at 42 minutes, and on the other side of the spectrum, I can barely remember what Funeral was like, and that was an hour long. Hopefully the music is creative and juicy enough to keep me going through the album, but we'll see when it's released.
Due to the unfortunate reality of our guitarist fucking my girlfriend of almost 7 years WITCHROT will be taking an extended hiatus. I however will continue the band in another space and time... Thanks for the support, stay heavy. Also our drummer died...

RIP DIAMHEA

Peyp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:49 pm 

Okay, so NOW it's out. Ffs, gotta learn to check the date properly.

I haven't heard a lot (been listening on Spotify on occasion and w/o premium), but it's not all that bad... some of the songs are pretty good and atmospherical, and on a few songs Mikula actually does real black metal screams instead of whatever the heck he normally does (not that this album is black metal). I think they've improved, but not enough for a Ghost Bath hater to finally like it.

RIP DIAMHEA

stevetehgreate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:00 pm 

well i listened to it and i have to say the first immpresions are not very positive.I mean,ok the production is fantastic but that's about it.Also the melodies on this album are really strange they sound waaaaaaaay to happy for a black metal album(ok,post-black metal in this case) espacially the song "Cherubim" like seriouslly this song sounds more like a pop rock song than post black metal.Oh yeah the vocals ruin some of good moments of this album and don't really fit with the mood of a lot of the songs.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:15 am 

stevetehgreate wrote:
well i listened to it and i have to say the first immpresions are not very positive.I mean,ok the production is fantastic but that's about it.Also the melodies on this album are really strange they sound waaaaaaaay to happy for a black metal album(ok,post-black metal in this case) espacially the song "Cherubim" like seriouslly this song sounds more like a pop rock song than post black metal.Oh yeah the vocals ruin some of good moments of this album and don't really fit with the mood of a lot of the songs.

Same here. :scratch:

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:36 am 

Diamhea wrote:
InnesI wrote:

If you think Ghost Bath and their China gambit was an attempt to tap into the kvlt market, boy are you barking up the wrong tree. :lol:

~Guest 343918
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:43 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
If you think Ghost Bath and their China gambit was an attempt to tap into the kvlt market, boy are you barking up the wrong tree. :lol:

What was their attempt then? It's interesting to see what kind of mental leaps their fans are willing to take in order to justify the band's blatant and failed attempt at gimmicky hipster credibility. I also bet a lot of fans wish they could still say they are "listening to Chinese black metal" because "it's soooo obscure".

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:13 am 

I dislike them for an entirely different reason. They basically got popular because of Bandcamp, then blamed Bandcamp for the whole China thing (in an interview they said it was Bandcamp's fault for making them enter a location) and then they signed with a label that isn't on Bandcamp and then deleted Moonlover off of the site, despite it being one of the best-selling metal albums of all time on the platform. The whole thing is basically a big "fuck you" to the fans that supported them and the platform that helped them get recognized.

Reply to topic