Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:26 pm 

For the last 25 years or so that I've gone to second-hand record stores browsing through metal and rock sections, it seems there was always a ton of Motörhead CDs.. like any band with a big (and then still growing) discography with more than its share of live albums, compilations and reissues, Motörhead CDs usually took a major part of the 'M' section.

Well, as of maybe 2-3 months ago.. I've noticed, Motörhead CDs are gone. This is like 3 stores I used to go to who had Motörhead before, but no longer. Yet I can still find tons of Slayer and Napalm Death CDs.

Is anyone else noticing this ? Is this a worldwide thing or just a new huge fan going around my city buying everything ?

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:34 pm 

I have not noticed this, but I suspect that Lemmy's death has created a much larger demand than normal, and prompted a lot of the more casual fans to pick up any CD's they can find. I think that it will subside as the albums are repressed and reissued.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:44 pm 

Actually this was an issue for me even before Lemmy's death. Literally the only albums you'd find were the 3 moat recent, No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith and 1916. That's was it. Occasionally you'd be lucky to find a copy of Ace of Spades or We Are Motorhead but really that's all I'd ever see everywhere.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:57 am 

I don't think we can learn much from studying three stores.

For what it's worth I've only rarely seen Motorhead CDs in Australian record stores.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:36 am 

I'm honestly seeing way more Motorhead in stock at my local stores these days. I went to an FYE on the north side of Indianapolis last week and found about five copies of 1916 for less than $10 each.

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:49 am 

The music stores around me all have historically solid Motorhead selections, it seems like they have more now. I may pick up Hammered if I see it next time I go - their most underrated work!

Steve Nebraska
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:10 am 

I was just thinking earlier today that I haven't heard anything new about Motörhead in awhile then I found out about lemmy. :(

Last edited by Steve Nebraska on Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:27 am 

Funny, a few years ago I managed to snatch those deluxe double cd reissues of most of the catalogue for killer prices at a local store.

Said store doesn't exist anymore :(

I noticed that even the selection of "normie music" tends to suck these days in the few record/media stores that are still around. Very poor selection, and with ridiculously inflated prices too.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:04 pm 

Yeah, that tends to happen after a musician's death. I remember after Bowie passed, all I could find in stores were copies of The Next Day and Blackstar (and a few reissues of Aladdin Sane and Ziggy Stardust, which I already owned beforehand). Thankfully nowadays it seems the Bowie selection has filled up again with some more reissues of his catalog.

Prince, surprisingly, not so much. I don't remember seeing any of his albums suddenly disappear from the shelves as quickly as Bowie's stuff did.

Motörhead though, I have noticed the selection has dwindled by a lot since Lemmy passed. But then again, even before he passed I had a tough time finding some albums I'm missing to complete my collection (We Are Motörhead and Bastards particularly), and these days all I find are buttloads of Aftershock and Bad Magic copies, along with a few other albums I already have (though it seems like 1916 and March ör Die are more in stock than stuff like Ace of Spades or Overkill).

putrenista
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:18 pm 

I've always thought their albums were kinda hard to find at stores. The bigger chain stores I mean, like Walmart, Best Buy, FYE, etc. In the past few years, they had copies of some of their newest albums, some random compilation or live album, and then either Ace of Spades or 1916, but that was it. Maybe ten years ago things were a little more diverse, with most of the 70s and 80s album, including No Sleep 'til Hammersmith. And they even still had some of those as the 2CD deluxe reissues, though I preferred to just stick with the cheaper single disc versions, which still had some choice bonus tracks. Maybe you'd see Overnight Sensation too, but the 90s albums besides 1916 were pretty rare in my area. Of course, it was a different story going to a smaller local music store, like Record & Tape Traders, or Vienna Music Exchange, and I'm assuming something like the Soundgarden in Baltimore too, though I haven't had a chance to go to that one yet.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:56 pm 

Lemmy's ghost has been spotted destroying Motörhead merch to prevent its misuse in crappy car commercials.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:38 am 

The only thing I've noticed is the prices going up. CEX charging £10/11 for a used copy of Kiss of Death, what the fuck?

Metal_Jaw wrote:
Occasionally you'd be lucky to find a copy of Ace of Spades or We Are Motorhead but really that's all I'd ever see everywhere.

I've never even seen a copy of Ace of Spades for sale in real life. When I was younger I figured they must have called the album something else.

Utopian Alabaster
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:28 am 

Many of the local JB Hi-Fis I've been in have a good selection of their albums, mostly the stuff from the 90s onwards. Maybe five, six different full lengths plus a live album and a couple of comps. I haven't seen much of the older stuff lately, although I'm pretty sure that it's just because they haven't gotten around to restocking them instead of the CDs going out of print or demand dying out or something.

I don't think I've ever seen a copy of We Are Motorhead, though.

putrenista
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:19 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Lemmy's ghost has been spotted destroying Motörhead merch to prevent its misuse in crappy car commercials.

Uhhhhh, I know what you mean. But I caught that new one again the other day, and it doesn't sound like the original "Ace of Spades." Sounds like a much older Lemmy, so it must be re-recording. When did they do this? Anyone?

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:21 pm 

Yeah that Kia car commercial definitely uses a newer recording of Ace of Spades. I can only guess it's the 2008 re-recording they did for Guitar Hero: Metallica/Rock Band 2.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:00 am 

If true that's not as bad...

At least the cretins who made the commercial were just bland corporate guys mining from a shitty video game and not treacherous metalheads who thought it would be acceptable to sully a classic.

Reply to topic