Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
johnnythrashismyname
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:44 pm 

What are the bands to watch from 2010 onwards. As most big band now are atleast over 10, nearly 20 years old now. What do you believe will be the next big bands?

SlevinKelevra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:46 pm 

define "big"

johnnythrashismyname
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:49 pm 

Big as in let's say Gojira, Mastodon kind of big. N

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:49 pm 

In recent years I've been enjoying VORBID, EUPHORIA, V-HAJD, and VOIGHT KAMPFF. All play melodic technical thrash. Don't think any will get "big" though, and frankly I don't think anyone can get big enough to make a career from true metal any more.

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:41 pm 

Big? Eh who knows but I will keep my eyes on Rivers of Nihil. After an average 2013 debut, they came back hard in 2015 with Monarchy, which was so much of an improvement its almost unbelievable. They're a great live act too, I'll definitely keep tabs on what they do in the coming years

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:53 pm 

To get "big" you need, talent, promotion, accessibility, and consistent output. A lot of bands looked pretty good at the start of the 2000s but kind of died out, usually due to #2 or #3. The Absence was one, but failed I think due to #4. Shear seemed to have vanished, but they were great too. #2 got them, I would guess.

The Agonist is headed in the right direction. Amaranthe is huge and getting bigger. In Malice's Wake also has promise.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:24 am 

i think King Parrot who formed in 2010 partly because they are fairly different from most bands, partly because of their humour but mostly because of Phil Anselmo being a huge fan of them

i mean i dont think they will ever be massive but i think they will gain a considerable following

percepticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:43 am 

Both of these bands technically started before 2010 but didnt release any full releases until after.

Fallujah
Beyond Creation

Both of these bands are gaining a pretty big following. Who knows if they will get to the level of Gojira or Mastodon.

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:16 pm 

Not really metal I guess, but I'd say Ghost has gotten pretty big already.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:30 am 

Twilight Force and Gloryhammer

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:58 am 

Astronoid, for me, is the only sensible answer.

Deafheaven is pretty big. Oathbreaker is sort of coming up. If you take that base style and mesh it with an even brighter melodic/pop sensibility, as Astronoid does, the potential is relatively unlimited. I could easily see these guys as huge as Mastodon of Ghost with the right backing (and as much as I love Blood Music, I'm not sure if they're the ones to do it).

And if I'm wrong, no biggie. Air is still a fucking phenomenal record.
Obliteration

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:29 am 

I don't know who is going to be next mainstream crossover band other than the ones already mentioned but I can see some of these bands achieving moderate to decent success in the future:

Tech/Prog Death: Allegaeon, Black Crown Initiate, Ulcerate, The Faceless (sort out the lineup issues already!), Wretched, Archspire, Revocation, Mithras

Death: Blood Incantation, Ævangelist, Chthe'ilist, Sulphur Aeon, Bolzer (?)

MDM: Skeletonwitch, Battlecross, Exmortus, The Darkest Hour, Be'lakor, Wolfheart,

BM (not my area of 'expertise' so pardon the shortcomings): Uada, Abigail Williams, Batushka, Cult of Fire

Atmo Black (same here): Falls of Rauros, Saor, Panopticon

Post-Black (seeing a pattern here?): Alcest, Ghost Bath, Oathbreaker, The Great Old Ones, Harakiri for the Sky

Thrash: Vektor (see The Faceless), Havok, Warbringer, Lost Society

Core: Parkway Drive, Aversions Crown, AngelMaker, Within the Ruins, Shadow of Intent

Grind/PV: Nails, Wormrot, Full of Hell, Trap Them

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:31 am 

Folkemon_ wrote:
Twilight Force and Gloryhammer

What a sad future that would be. Two of the worst bands in PM - if not the worst.

It's hard to say - Bolzer and Horrendous are definitely up there. Both are unique bands and have strong songwriting that could appeal to more than just niche subgenre fans... Demon Bitch and Sumerlands are two more, with the old school style done really well.

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:57 am 

Gloryhammer has some fun parts but is essentially an intentional spoof of the genre. Twilight Force is too much: I listened to their latest record and found it fun for a while but nothing more than that. There must be better bands in the genre.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:01 am 

Lord_Lexy wrote:
Gloryhammer has some fun parts but is essentially an intentional spoof of the genre. Twilight Force is too much: I listened to their latest record and found it fun for a while but nothing more than that. There must be better bands in the genre.

That's the thing. There are loads of new PM bands I really like. But the genre doesn't really have a strong new Edguy or Kamelot figure, or anything even close to another Dragonforce right now. Gloryhammer and Twilight Force seem to have gotten a lot of attention for being over the top, goofy imitations of much older bands, which is just not the style I'd have wanted. They're just too gimmicky, with shallow writing and kinda annoying songs. It's like they took the superficial things about the genre and just wrote the most dull, hackneyed, generic music they possibly could - to me it sounds like they didn't even try.

Dragonforce was really goofy and silly too, yeah - but I think they wrote melodies and songs that never came out of your head and were much more interesting.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:46 am 

DragonForce, to me, are pretty much everything you've said about the other two bands. Uninspired, incredibly annoying songwriting that tries to be flashy, but has no merit. I'd put them along with those two bands.

There are some great newish bands around, Terminus, Sacral Rage and Aktor to name a few. Also been listening to that Starborn EP, it is really growing on me. Good UK power metal.

MyrVarg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:04 am 

Earthside

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:01 am 

Dandelo wrote:
DragonForce, to me, are pretty much everything you've said about the other two bands. Uninspired, incredibly annoying songwriting that tries to be flashy, but has no merit. I'd put them along with those two bands.

They did give rise to the kind of awful stuff I was talking about. But I think they were just much better songwriters.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:00 pm 

Maze of Sothoth didn't release anything until 2011, they've impressed the hell outta me with their latest. They're almost putting classic bands to shame.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:09 pm 

Mary's Blood are here now to save power metal. All hail Mary's Blood!

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:46 pm 

MyrVarg wrote:
Earthside

I really enjoy Earthside, but I can't see them having the same sort of success as Mastodon or Gojira. There just isn't as big of a market for more ambient/atmospheric sounding music, especially if they remain mostly instrumental. I'm not sure who would be considered the most popular instrumental metal band (Animals as Leaders?), but I don't think any have quite reached the level OP is talking about.

I also find it hard to believe any power metal bands will get that big either. Dragonforce's success is 90% due to Guitar Hero. Not that that's a bad thing, but I really don't see that happening to another band any time soon. Even the biggest power metal bands from the early 2000s were never as big as the OP is indicating.

I think one of these up and coming "New Wave of Traditional Heavy Metal" bands will have a good shot at a lot of success. The United States, Canada, and Sweden have all had some really great trad heavy metal bands the past few years and I think most are accessible enough to gain a pretty strong fanbase.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:43 am 

Skeletal Remains are definitely the best death metal band going right now, another great one is Sentient Horror who just released their debut. As for pure heavy metal, my favorite is and has always been fuckin' Portrait, man!! To me, those guys are absolute gods, I'm in awe every time I listen to them, about how good it is....fucking phenomenal!!! For thrash metal, Vektor really go without saying but another overlooked band is Evil Invaders. Their sound could basically be summed up as a fusion of three albums: Kill 'Em All, Bonded by Blood, and Powerslave.

RichardDeBenthall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:49 am 

That new Messa album blew my balls off and they seem more sincere and honed than a lot of other Doom bands out there at the minute. I wouldn't be surprised if they start making some waves in the Doom scene.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:19 pm 

Helion Prime (Power Metal) and Visigoth (Trad Heavy Metal) are both news bands I can see getting a lot bigger. Both already having a growing fan base.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:50 pm 

Black Breath, Power Trip, Horrendous, Black Anvil, Khemmis, Subrosa, Eternal Champion.

Last FM

Reply to topic