Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:11 am 

This is a first rate fucking band if I've ever seen one. It's Maiden-esque trad metal, but they really take the base of Maiden's sound - the twin axe harmonies - and do something totally new and different with it, crafting these really long-winded, epic, jam-packed tunes that are so sorrowful and epic and melancholic. It's a very different type of heavy metal and I think it's cool that they took the building blocks of Maiden's style and just did something totally fresh with it - a path I hope more retro acts take in the future.

I've heard this compared to Dissection and melodeath stuff, but I think it's its own thing and doesn't just fall into that category.

Plus, how good is that guitar tone? Just outstanding.

Check 'em out here.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:58 am 

i don't like the tone. too muffled.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:05 am 

Not too big on the vocals, although they don't ruin it for me. The guitar is fantastic on this album.

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:18 am 

Is it even possible to put so much emotion into dual guitar passages? Especially the intro of The Hour of Dying, goddamn. A lot of different influences at work here, a lot of thought was put into the composition. ^Vocals could be better though, I agree.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:39 am 

The vocals are not the best part, but I like them well enough - a uniquely frail, thin timbre. I'm sure they'll get better as they keep going.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:26 pm 

This album was pretty disappointing for me. The first two tracks are, indeed, top-shelf and iconoclastic heavy metal, but after that, it's a whole bunch of nothin'. Oh well.

HighwayCorsair
Knows a guy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:56 pm 

I like them a good amount but it has its flaws. Vocalist is kind of weak, and that sort of melody is a bit much for me at times. Album is also realllly fucking long and kind of drags.
Owner Nameless Grave Records.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:27 am 

I don't really mind the "weak" vocals. They remind me a lot of stuff such as Angel Witch, except this guy has a much better ear for catchy vocal lines, so his lack of outright power isn't nearly as much of a drawback, and the songwriting and melodies are fucking top notch. Shit's longwinded, yes, but I don't feel like they artificially stretch their songs; they let every development and riff breathe enough for it to stick with you, but not to the point that they're run into the ground.

What I'm saying is, this is fucking good.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:59 am 

Yeah, I was expecting to find it drawn out when I saw the song lengths at first, but they manage to keep things interesting and they write melodies that are captivating and original. They manage to make the longer style work for them and honestly it goes down pretty easy, barely feels like an hour at all.

I'd actually agree in a way that the first two are the best songs, but the others don't seem weak to me at all. Very consistent overall.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:35 am 

I've only listened to it once so far but I thought it sounded pretty terrific. More than likely gonna see if I can get a copy in the near future.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:54 am 

So, I just listened to "They That Walk the Night" and my god. That guitar tone is super evocative and I really like how warm the production sounds. The music is also ridiculously good, and I rather like the vocals. Gonna have to give this one a proper listen.

Sestren
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:52 pm 

Just started to listen to it yesterday and am hooked. Best album this year thus far for me.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:29 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I've heard this compared to Dissection and melodeath stuff, but I think it's its own thing and doesn't just fall into that category.

Plus, how good is that guitar tone? Just outstanding.

The guitars are absolutely beautiful !

Someone somewhere is doing a good trade in old-school pedals & so on - pretty sure you can't achieve that kind of noise with a macbook & a teenager. Will order the vinyl version - the sound they're going for will sound perfect on good old black wax !

Where (out of interest) / why did you see the comparison to melodeth stuff ? This is bordering on progressive to me, with not a hint of angry-scandi anywhere in it.

Also - the vocals fit in perfectly - This guy seems to know what he's doing, and whoever produced the record mixes it in such a way that everything works really well together. I'm always afraid that a band with decent guitar work will be all about the music, & have hired some Ripper Owens-wannabe as an afterthought, and the whole thing comes off like a bad school project (or latter day Iced Earth record, take your pick).

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:38 am 

I just heard the melodeath comparison in a few reviews and posts around - Dissection comparisons and the like. I think it's more than that.

And yeah the vocals have grown on me. I was wondering how this would sound with a Dickinson-like singer over it, but it would probably just be way too overpowering - as is, the focus is on the guitars alone and that makes it a singular, focused listen. Not everything has to jump out and grab for your attention 100% of the time.

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:47 am 

The part that swung me was the bridge in 'Frozen Goddess' at around the first minute. The polyphony is classical in a liturgical sense, sounding medieval. You can also compare 'The Hour of Dying's tremolo passage at 1:24 to that of Dissection's 'Son of the Mourning' at 0:52.

But by and large, I agree with you guys. Black metal was, at most, a small influence within a much grander scheme. Part of what makes Far From Light so special - at least to me - is their adventurous metal buffet approach, taking a little bit of everything and weaving it all together in a profound way. Just overall a really impressive album.

Reply to topic