Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:39 am 

I don't know if there is more than one band named Dawn (I'll just assume there is), but I'm referring to the Swedish melodic black metal band. For those of you who like this band, which album do you prefer? I've listened to 'Nær sólen gar niþer for evogher' a couple more times than I have 'Slaughtersun', but to be honest, I find 'Slaughtersun' to be the harder-hitting, superior album. Really, really strong stuff, both records.

Your thoughts?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:57 am 

I own Slaughtersun. I think it's quite nice, I don't really play it all that often since it's more on the melodic side than I normally listen to but when I do it's always pretty killer and hits the spot right. hell I might even just pull it out today since you made meantion of it. I don't have Naer but maybe I'll seek out a copy of that as well

cvac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:42 am 

I've got the first album and think it's quite good, but not the masterpiece some make it out to be.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:17 pm 

Yes.

I have everything they've done except the 2 demo tapes from 92 and 93. Can't really pick a favourite.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:11 pm 

imho slaughtersun or far away from the sun are the best melodic black metal albums of all time.

Lissart
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:02 pm 

Great band, can't find both the debut and Slaughtersun anywhere. That's a pity.

SlevinKelevra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:06 pm 

Lissart wrote:

they aren't very much on discogs, and the CM reissues are easy to find.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:09 pm 

Yup, Slaughtersun is essentially the pinnacle of its niche.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:26 pm 

It's okay, definitely has more style than its comparable albums such as the Sacramentum debut or the Unanimated sophomore. The melodicism still gets overbearing frequently, though.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:40 pm 

I was just starting to get into melodic black metal when I sat for a five hour tattoo session and the artist put Slaughtersun on repeat. Hearing it in that setting for the first time was absolutely fucking mindblowing and I consider them masters of the sound. As a whole the album is a bit long, but contains some of my favorite riffs and melodies in history. They've had rumblings about a new album for five years now, so it'll be interesting to see what happens, or how Century Media fucks it up.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:24 pm 

Let's not forget the Sorgh pa svarte vingar fløgh EP.. that's the one I've been spinning the most lately, it's a nice balance of the more brutal style of Slaughtersun but without the songs all being 10 minutes long.

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:15 pm 

i just got into them this year, picked up slaughtersun and it's great. took me 5 or 6 listens to take it all in

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:36 pm 

Dawn is active? I used to listen to them a lot when their albums were still fairly new, probably haven't listened to them since the early 2000s though. I'll have to get them back onto my player for a change.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:49 pm 

More like "Active". There was a lot of noise when they started messing around again, got signed to CM, and put out those re-issues. I swear they said a new one would be ready by 2015, so who knows. Now they seem to just be selling shit on Facebook.

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:13 pm 

Awesome band. Many thanks to Century Media for reissuing their discography thus saving me having to apply for a bank loan in order to get the originals. Still not sure how i overlooked them back in day.
I have doubts as to them ever completing/releasing a new album though.

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:57 pm 

droneriot wrote:
It's okay, definitely has more style than its comparable albums such as the Sacramentum debut or the Unanimated sophomore.

what do you mean with this i would say that both albums are and definitely were when they released quite unique. Do you think those 2 albums are too melodic or something?

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:16 pm 

Lissart wrote:

just got a newsletter from no colours today, who have both available for 11 EUR each. just as an example.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:04 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
droneriot wrote:
It's okay, definitely has more style than its comparable albums such as the Sacramentum debut or the Unanimated sophomore.

what do you mean with this i would say that both albums are and definitely were when they released quite unique. Do you think those 2 albums are too melodic or something?

It's the kind of melodies, always felt that Slaughtersun had a little more of a romantic "heavy metal fantasy film soundtrack" feel to their melodies and a little less of an "Adrian Smith and Dave Murray lead duelling on stage" feel.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

CircleovZaphyan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:32 am 

Wonder how much my lot was worth before the reissues. I own the black LPs now too.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:18 am 

This is from youtube comments

Quote:

Dawn Official6 months ago
Thanks alot everybody who support us and listen to our music!!!

A couple of days ago i finished tracking and editing all the guitars for the new album. 8 years of total guitar obsession. Next up is the drums and bass.

Support us at the official DAWN site and listen to DAWN on the new Spotify platform.

Fredrik/DAWN

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:20 am 

A collection of that kind is worth quite a bit even with the reissues coming out. Never knew the Slaughtersun promo had a completely different artwork, cool!

They were one of those bands that were quite highly recarded by those who knew them but never seemed to reach further than their close audience. Very enjoyable material, definitely worth a reissue. I picked up the demo cd as everything else I already had on the Slaughtersun double disc edition.

bronxeel wrote:
This is from youtube comments

Quote:

Dawn Official6 months ago
Thanks alot everybody who support us and listen to our music!!!

A couple of days ago i finished tracking and editing all the guitars for the new album. 8 years of total guitar obsession. Next up is the drums and bass.

Support us at the official DAWN site and listen to DAWN on the new Spotify platform.

Fredrik/DAWN

Thanks for sharing! Looks like all is not lost yet...
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:43 pm 

Geez and I thought I was a hoarder for owning two copies of Slaughtersun :lol:

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:57 pm 

Here's hoping for a new album soon(ish) then. I recall an interview form a year or two ago where Frederik said the new material would have more blasts as well as more acoustic guitars and keys and the songs weren't quite as lengthy. Sounds interesting.

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

cvac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:06 pm 

shwartzheim wrote:
Awesome band. Many thanks to Century Media for reissuing their discography thus saving me having to apply for a bank loan in order to get the originals. Still not sure how i overlooked them back in day.
I have doubts as to them ever completing/releasing a new album though.

On one hand I'm glad CM did the reissues. On the other hand they compressed the shit out of them so eventually I'll still need to hunt down an old Necropolis CD of the debut album. Not the worst mastering job I've heard but far from ideal.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:20 pm 

cvac wrote:

On one hand I'm glad CM did the reissues. On the other hand they compressed the shit out of them so eventually I'll still need to hunt down an old Necropolis CD of the debut album. Not the worst mastering job I've heard but far from ideal.

There's hardly any difference on Slaughtersun (actually the 2-disc version seems to have the highest DR of the three versions) and still quite a bit of headroom on the EP according to the DR database. Looks like they definitely smashed the fuck out of the Naer Solen.. though.

They were remastered by Dan Swanö too, you'd think he would know better. He did a fine job of remastering Far Away From The Sun though.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:09 pm 

Has there ever been an explanation given for the overuse of compression/brickwalling by the actual people that do it or request it, i.e.: bands, labels, and engineers? Most of the commentary I've heard or seen has been from either us the consumers or the engineers who are known for not brickwalling (e.g.: Steves Hoffman and Albini).

It will never make sense to me that you can take these technological applications and use them in an all or nothing fashion. Surely there is a middle ground between "original thin and weak 1982 production" and "unlistenable torrent of noise."

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:14 pm 

I have to pitch in to clarify something. Dawn's debut album was never actually mastered, much like Katatonia's Brave Murder Day, hence why the CM reissue is so much louder and crispier since they actually mastered the album for that release. I still prefer my 2CD Necropolis copy though, but then again I also have the original Avantgarde BMD edition.

New Dawn would be excellent, though it's one of those cases where I'll always wait for it to happen before getting excited about it. At least I can spin some Mare Cognitum in the meantime to scratch the itch.

cvac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:31 pm 

DeathfareDevil wrote:
Has there ever been an explanation given for the overuse of compression/brickwalling by the actual people that do it or request it, i.e.: bands, labels, and engineers? Most of the commentary I've heard or seen has been from either us the consumers or the engineers who are known for not brickwalling (e.g.: Steves Hoffman and Albini).

It will never make sense to me that you can take these technological applications and use them in an all or nothing fashion. Surely there is a middle ground between "original thin and weak 1982 production" and "unlistenable torrent of noise."

Mastering is client-driven work and like all client driven work the client is always right. I don't know what happened in this case but it could've been done better. A lot better. Many times bands or labels feel pressure to be competitive with whatever is going on currently. So if all the hot new bands on Relapse or some other big label are doing DR5 mastering or worse, then they will too.

It's also easy to be fooled by "louder is better". Back in the late 90s when the Slayer catalog was remastered, I bought those and thought they were great. Over time I grew to hate them and knew I had made the wrong decision by getting rid of my old copies. I later re-bought those old copies and they sound much better to me now.

cvac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:33 pm 

androdion wrote:
I have to pitch in to clarify something. Dawn's debut album was never actually mastered,

I did not know that, having never heard the original. I just know that the CM remaster is a typical loudness war job and not good. It's a shame they couldn't have had a more even handed, dynamic mastering for the reissue. It would've brought out the instruments more rather than squashing everything to shit.

cvac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:36 pm 

shwartzheim wrote:
Here's hoping for a new album soon(ish) then. I recall an interview form a year or two ago where Frederik said the new material would have more blasts as well as more acoustic guitars and keys and the songs weren't quite as lengthy. Sounds interesting.

I'd be interested in new material.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:38 pm 

cvac wrote:
I did not know that, having never heard the original. I just know that the CM remaster is a typical loudness war job and not good. It's a shame they couldn't have had a more even handed, dynamic mastering for the reissue. It would've brought out the instruments more rather than squashing everything to shit.

The original sounds quite thin and powerless, especially the drums. Shame there's no decent mastering job, unlike Brave Murder Day which isn't completely smashed on the 2006 mastered reissue.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:02 pm 

chaossphere wrote:
cvac wrote:

The original sounds quite thin and powerless, especially the drums. Shame there's no decent mastering job, unlike Brave Murder Day which isn't completely smashed on the 2006 mastered reissue.

Yeah it's really thin sounding indeed, but it's kind of warm still. I've heard its remaster a few times and it kind of loses that warmth even though it sounds more in line with Slaughtersun.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:17 am 

Never knew that; explains why the debut sounds so damn quiet on my 2-cd version.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:52 am 

Long time fan of Dawn here, although it took me several years to be able to appreciate Slaughtersun as much as it deserves; the Abyss production and similarity to then-booming Marduk (as I perceived it back then) prevented me from enjoying it. Naer solen..., on the other hand, clicked with me instantly (small wonder considering such greatness as "Svarte skiner solen").
The reason I'm posting here is to announce that the new Grafvitnir album "Obeisance to a witch moon" is released in a few days from now; an album that resembles Dawn's sophomore a lot while having the most caustic vocalist I've heard in a long time, really good stuff. Listen to them on youtube, their level of melodicism is indeed up there with Dawn - a fame not too many bands can rightfully claim.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:33 pm 

I don't have any problem with the remaster (or 1st master, in this case) of Nær sólen gar niþer for evogher from 2014. In fact, I think it's a massive improvement. I was just thankful they finally got it properly mastered since the original always sounded pretty thin and had no bottom end.

I just compared both versions on Youtube and I don't notice the 2014 master being overly loud in comparison to the original. I don't even notice any difference in the loudness of either recording. The 2014 master just sounds fuller and the bass is much more pronounced.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:34 pm 

Nah, I own the Necropolis 2CD version and when the remastered version came out I downloaded a 320k rip to hear how it sounded like. Fuller yes, and like I said above more in line with how Slaughtersun sounds, but also way louder which is understandable.

Insurrection463
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:00 pm 

First heard Slaughtersun back around 2000/2001 when I was discovering all these foreign metal bands. Very very good band.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:18 pm 

DecemberSoul wrote:
The reason I'm posting here is to announce that the new Grafvitnir album "Obeisance to a witch moon" is released in a few days from now; an album that resembles Dawn's sophomore a lot while having the most caustic vocalist I've heard in a long time, really good stuff. Listen to them on youtube, their level of melodicism is indeed up there with Dawn - a fame not too many bands can rightfully claim.

If that's your thing then you may want to dig up the first two Cirith Gorgor albums if you don't know them... that's another band that's up with there with Dawn and Naglfar for balancing epic melody with extreme rhythmic violence and acid-spewing vocals.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:35 pm 

I may need to look into that Cirith Gorgor as well. I enjoy a good deal of swededeath and melodic black metal, so Dawn sits quite nicely with me. The debut is solid, but Slaughtersun is somewhat better in my eyes. It'll be interesting to hear what they can crank out after all these years and what they'll add to their sound.

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:54 pm 

I've got all the CM reissues. My favorite is probably their debut LP. Slaughtersun is good, but a bit too long and repetitive in my opinion. The demo compilation is a gem as well; Dawn was an excellent death metal band!

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next