Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
FatTheGates
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:55 am 

Taorluath wrote:
Not on MA but the original release of Nine Inch Nails "Broken" ep had the 2 cover songs on a separate 3 inch cd from the main CD. Not sure if any later versions were like this but it was pretty cool at the time.

I liked that one, and no, the bonus 3" only came in the first pressing. I also have a European Digipak of Napalm Death's "Utopia Banished" which has extra tracks on a bonus 3" CD as well.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:57 am 

How the hell do you even play a shaped 3" cd?
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

PerfectB
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:02 pm 

chaossphere wrote:
PerfectB wrote:
There's a King Diamond release called Collector's Item, which appears to no longer be listed on the archives. It's a compilation of 5 songs, but it's on a somewhat 3" CD that's shaped like King Diamond's head. If you look at the back of it, the data is in the 3" CD format but it bounces around in your CD player due to the uneven shape. Maybe I'll dig it out and try to put up a pic.

Shaped CDs are a different story altogether.. Nuclear Blast did a bunch of them in the 90s/00s. I've got the Dimmu Borgir live one, it plays fine but does make a bit of a racket in the player.

Good info, the King Diamond one is the only one I've ever personally seen. Always wondered if it was a normal thing.

Lord_Jotun wrote:

In a portable CD player, just click it onto the center spindle and keep a good handle on the player. I don't think I'd put one in any type of slot loading player

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:57 pm 

Lord_Jotun wrote:

They can't play in slot-loading players like in a car or the newer Playstations and Xboxes. As for tray-loading players, basically you do this:

Stronthor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:56 pm 

I've got a couple of them... Off the top of my head a live album by Artisian, an Afflictis Lentae/Blooddawn split and another live album by Yaotzin. All of them released on the now defunct Svartgalgh label. They were a small dutch label releasing mainly black metal, although they did some noise and drone/ambient stuff as well, mostly in very limited quantities. When the label folded their remaining inventory was passed on to the Zwaertgevegt label/distro, but since we're talking somewhere around 7 years ago, I'm guessing this stuff's pretty hard to find now... Worth tracking down though, there were some pretty solid releases in there.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:32 pm 

I've seen shaped CD's with a balance ring of sorts...

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:47 pm 

There have been full-length CDs released on shape-discs too. Nuclear Blast did a few sawblade-edged ones and there was a brain-shaped edition of Carcass - Swansong.

arnvidr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:52 pm 

Lord_Jotun wrote:

Like the big Dimmu Borgir shape pictured above, with the top being the same as a regular cd, the smaller ones tends to have some parts being at the outer dimensions of a regular 3", and many tray players have a 3" inner ring you can match it to, so the player's internal "spindle" can find the center. Haven't ever had any problems, personally.

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:38 pm 

Few 3" CDs here. Never had problems to play any of them. Including the great Paraxism 3" from Finland, Professor Grind and Voice Of Destruction from South-Africa.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2