Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:00 pm 

Guys what do think about the YouTube channel BangerTV?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeUMZ4 ... hXHJg9rshQ

A channel dedicated to discussing heavy metal in all its forms & shades. They dissect different genres (read: split hairs) like trve metal nerds. They also do stuff like top albums, in-depth interviews with musicians, tackling issues like sexism, racism etc. & discussing 'metal culture' in general. Brought to you by Sam Dunn & friends. Yeah, that tall dude who made a dozen documentaries relating metal. They have reached 50K subs within a span of a few months so I can definitely see some potential here.

What are your thoughts on the dude & the channel? What are some of things that they can improve upon? Do you guys agree with their revamped metal family tree? What do you think about their production/set/presentation? How tall is that fucker? Please discuss. Thanks!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS: They streamed a Power Metal Essentials debate episode earlier today so all you cheese eaters, :lol: need to check that out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-huwiFnduM

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:08 pm 

Meh, just seems like a combination of overanalysis and preaching to the choir, much like everything else Dunn's done (hehe.) I'm not opposed to analysis and discussion, but everything by this guy just smacks of self-gratification.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:11 pm 

Complete garbage

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:14 pm 

It's a great idea, but he's simply not an expert . I subscribe to the channel and watch occasionally when I'm bored, but every time it's pretty clear he just doesn't know his stuff. Just yesterday I tuned into his Power Metal live stream and he was talking about Dream Theatre and Queensryche being classic power metal bands. Then his commenters kept bringing up Angra and it was clear he had never heard of them. It's a cool idea, but I have no idea how he has made himself out to be an expert when he's really not that well-versed in metal in general.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:38 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
It's a great idea, but he's simply not an expert . I subscribe to the channel and watch occasionally when I'm bored, but every time it's pretty clear he just doesn't know his stuff. Just yesterday I tuned into his Power Metal live stream and he was talking about Dream Theatre and Queensryche being classic power metal bands. Then his commenters kept bringing up Angra and it was clear he had never heard of them. It's a cool idea, but I have no idea how he has made himself out to be an expert when he's really not that well-versed in metal in general.

The guests they get are pretty legit for the most part. Sam on the other hand does seem clueless at certain instances.

Folkemon_ wrote:
Complete garbage

T_T...but...but all-metal channel :lol:

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:47 pm 

I've liked a lot of the stuff he's done and Banger is no exception. The interviews are really interesting and more in-depth and well-produced than most others in Youtube, and I think the Lock Horns segment is a really great idea. I also really love his Overkill Reviews segment, because he actually shows/plays music clips, which I've never heard another reviewer do. His rating scale is stupid though, he started rating on a scale of 2 (????) and I think now does a scale of 4 or 6. I don't know why people don't just use a scale of 10 or 100...

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:17 pm 

If anybody is interested in metal reviews check out these channels as well:

coverkillernation (CKN): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMjNiN ... D3B9m8VkkA
Dude is a lifer & can dig everything from pop punk to death metal. I feel he is more of a prog/melodic metal guy but I've seen him enjoy tons of extreme metal. He does weekly recommendations on (mostly) metal albums with a prog rock album thrown in for variety. He talks about other stuff too so it's not always metal, metal, metal. Good stuff!

runnerjma: https://www.youtube.com/user/runnerjma
Doesn't get a lot views but he reviews some solid shit, mostly underground black metal or (brutal) death metal although there is sometimes, the odd heavy metal record thrown in. He's turned me onto some awesome shit. Dude is definitely a lifer & comes across as a professional & genuine guy.

wyattxhim: https://www.youtube.com/user/wyattxhim
A younger guy whose channel has grown considerably within a few years. Although mostly into atmospheric black metal, he is a sucker for experimental/avantgarde stuff be it metal or otherwise. Nice guy but sometimes it feels like he is almost afraid to put out a strong opinion. Quite the collector too.

hots_towel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:51 pm 

I'm interested to see if they follow up with razorfist in that offer for a live debate. otherwise I don't care for it

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:57 pm 

hots_towel wrote:
I'm interested to see if they follow up with razorfist in that offer for a live debate. otherwise I don't care for it

That would be a fucking massacre though. Razor hasn't replied to their 'challenge'...yet.

hots_towel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:03 pm 

he responded on twitter saying that he wasn't interested in flying to Canada, but was willing to do it over skype. I agree though, even off the cuff razor can be pretty brutal

Mistereyedee
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:19 pm 

Nasty Metal Productions is the only review channel that I actively follow. Tends to review more obscure stuff.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:27 pm 

hots_towel wrote:

Wait, what? I was hoping at first this refers to something done in jest, but it sounds serious and stupid.

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:55 pm 

IamDBR wrote:

Dude is a lifer & can dig everything from pop punk to death metal. I feel he is more of a prog/melodic metal guy but I've seen him enjoy tons of extreme metal. He does weekly recommendations on (mostly) metal albums with a prog rock album thrown in for variety. He talks about other stuff too so it's not always metal, metal, metal. Good stuff!

runnerjma: https://www.youtube.com/user/runnerjma
Doesn't get a lot views but he reviews some solid shit, mostly underground black metal or (brutal) death metal although there is sometimes, the odd heavy metal record thrown in. He's turned me onto some awesome shit. Dude is definitely a lifer & comes across as a professional & genuine guy.

wyattxhim: https://www.youtube.com/user/wyattxhim
A younger guy whose channel has grown considerably within a few years. Although mostly into atmospheric black metal, he is a sucker for experimental/avantgarde stuff be it metal or otherwise. Nice guy but sometimes it feels like he is almost afraid to put out a strong opinion. Quite the collector too.

Wyatt has a cool collection, but his delivery is quite poor. I recommend Kanyon Bickel for black metal stuff. I think he's really into DSBM.

Edit: Didn't he do some power metal origins documentary a few years ago? I believe he interviewed Sam Totman, HammerFall, and Tuomas Holopainen.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:08 pm 

Mistereyedee wrote:
Nasty Metal Productions is the only review channel that I actively follow. Tends to review more obscure stuff.

Youtube is so weird. I don't understand the format of having someone talk at you about music without even clips of what the album sounds like.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:13 pm 

TrueDynamite wrote:
Wyatt has a cool collection, but his delivery is quite poor. I recommend Kanyon Bickel for black metal stuff. I think he's really into DSBM.

Edit: Didn't he do some power metal origins documentary a few years ago? I believe he interviewed Sam Totman, HammerFall, and Tuomas Holopainen.

I don't know but Kanyon just seems like he's done with life even more so than CountBlagorath. I have to speed up the videos because those guys are just so nonchalant with everything that it gets boring.

Regarding Sam Dunn, yeah I think so. It's been a while since I saw those docs so I don't exactly remember.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:19 pm 

Sam Dunn seems like an earnest guy, but his knowledge of the topics he covers is always incomplete and he fills in the holes with bullshit. Sloppy historian.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:19 pm 

While we're on metal youtubers, I discovered a guy called "Killbot & Gorgor Attack" who I really love. Also, the infamous Blackmetal Werewolf. Wyattxhim is cool but I don't know many of the bands he talks about, as I'm more of a straight death metal guy.

And razorfist comes across as a pseudo-intellectual cunt to me, just another alt-right, anti-feminist loser who is jumping on the bandwagon for Youtube fame. As if that's not a completely overdone and boring subject...you might as well watch Paul Joseph Watson or...god forbid...Steven Crowder :lol:. He doesn't seem to know very much about metal, anyway.

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:24 pm 

I haven't watched Blagorath/Bickel in a while, so I don't know what they're doing now. There's another one (Charlie Pettifer?) that's pretty cool. He doesn't have the collection the others have and he rambles A LOT, but he seems to really enjoy the music he shows.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:36 pm 

true_death wrote:
While we're on metal youtubers, I discovered a guy called "Killbot & Gorgor Attack" who I really love. Also, the infamous Blackmetal Werewolf. Wyattxhim is cool but I don't know many of the bands he talks about, as I'm more of a straight death metal guy.

And razorfist comes across as a pseudo-intellectual cunt to me, just another alt-right, anti-feminist loser who is jumping on the bandwagon for Youtube fame. As if that's not a completely overdone and boring subject...you might as well watch Paul Joseph Watson or...god forbid...Steven Crowder :lol:. He doesn't seem to know very much about metal, anyway.

Killbot & Gorgor Attack is fucking hilarious & refreshingly original. More people should know about him.
Razorfist is a cunt alright but an interesting one at that. You have to admit some of his lines are brutal as fuck. Also he hates death metal so...that kinda' kills it for me.

TrueDynamite wrote:
I haven't watched Blagorath/Bickel in a while, so I don't know what they're doing now. There's another one (Charlie Pettifer?) that's pretty cool. He doesn't have the collection the others have and he rambles A LOT, but he seems to really enjoy the music he shows.

His thick accent...sorry but I can't. Great guy but come on man.

Last edited by IamDBR on Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:38 pm 

hots_towel wrote:
he responded on twitter saying that he wasn't interested in flying to Canada, but was willing to do it over skype. I agree though, even off the cuff razor can be pretty brutal

That's only his "internet persona." I heard him in a convo with Sargon of Akkad and he sounded like a complete faggot. Maybe that's where the overcompensation comes from.

Still, those feminists he was referring to were pretty dumb and I'd love to see him tear them apart on Skype.

As for Sam, he's best when he's behind the camera as opposed to talking in front of it. I give him props for forcing Vh1 to put on Kai Hansen.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

Crypticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:44 pm 

I actually like Sam Dunn and actually own the DVD collection of the Metal Evolution series. I find it a good way to introduce people outside of the subculture into the subculture so that they can explore more.

I think the thing is that for seasoned metal heads he isn't really showing you stuff you have never heard of. There's not too many bands that are talked about that I or other fans that have explored around for a while aren't going to be familiar with.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:48 pm 

Crypticide wrote:
I think the thing is that for seasoned metal heads he isn't really showing you stuff you have never heard of. There's not too many bands that are talked about that I or other fans that have explored around for a while aren't going to be familiar with.

I don't mind that. Like I said, Kai Hansen on vh1. What I do mind is him taking 3 minutes out of his special to felch about Led Zeppelin or Manowar not wanting to talk to him (probably because you forgot to clear the Fighting The World artwork for Headbanger's Journey, asshat).

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:51 pm 

Does anyone know of good channels that interview band members? A lot of the channels I find feature interviewers asking moronic questions in broken English (Their English abilities aren't really a problem, but it just adds fuel to the fire).

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:04 pm 

IamDBR wrote:

I used to really like this guy, but I feel like over the years, he has both branched away from metal a lot, and bought so far into his own hype that he comments on every popular topic. He's moved too far away from the music to me.

Mistereyedee wrote:

I've watched a few of this guy's videos before, and while he definitely needs to work on his craft a bit, he has an incredible level of knowledge. The stuff he reviews is often so obscure that it's ridiculous.

true_death wrote:

Razorfist is sometimes really far off base, but he's really articulate and just has a way with words. I love watching his videos, even when I disagree with him a lot. He's also fairly knowledgable and does his homework (his Yngwie series might be his best).

As for Sam Dunn, he's good as an introduction for metal, and you have to appreciate his enthusiasm, but as a lot of people have said, he just doesn't have the knowledge. The Lock Horns on power metal was so frustrating because he was talking about Euro power and Jason Decay was talking about USPM, and it's like neither of them knew of the other's existence or was willing to talk about it. It's not that hard to take a step back and acknowledge both subgenres and have a better discussion about that stuff.

I want to try and get on that show since I live in the same city as him and feel like I'm semi-legit, but I don't know if that would happen :lol:

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:09 pm 

TrueDynamite wrote:
Does anyone know of good channels that interview band members? A lot of the channels I find feature interviewers asking moronic questions in broken English (Their English abilities aren't really a problem, but it just adds fuel to the fire).

Loudwire kinda' does that but Graham (the host) is a 'weird' interviewer. He has improved a lot but still kind of lukewarm.

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:17 pm 

IamDBR wrote:
TrueDynamite wrote:

Loudwire kinda' does that but Graham (the host) is a 'weird' interviewer. He has improved a lot but still kind of lukewarm.

I can't stand that guy. I've been watching this Finnish guy that wears a flat bill hat lately, but I can't remember the name of the channel. He talks over his guests sometimes, but he's not completely awful. His interview with Frost is incredibly awkward though.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:45 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
IamDBR wrote:

I used to really like this guy, but I feel like over the years, he has both branched away from metal a lot, and bought so far into his own hype that he comments on every popular topic. He's moved too far away from the music to me.
Does CKN even actually review because the stuff I've seen he just goes on a long tangent talking about the band's influence, impact, history, progression but next to nothing about the tracks contained. Really enjoys hearing himself talk with that intellectual-wrestler persona, fairly lame overall.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:57 pm 

Sam Dunn just seems like a kiss ass with most of his interviews and his questions are always boringly vague, the lock horns videos while good in theory barely scratch the surface of genres and mostly appear as a muddled mess with guests that sometimes know what they're on about and others that are way off.

Dunn is such an on-the-fence personality it gets tedious to watch his awkward metal assumptions and backpeddling. Yeah sure he got metal more packaged into to the mainstream and provided a 101 source of info about popular bands but his wiki definition style content comes off mostly awkward, misguided and arrogant.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:22 pm 

BangerTV sounds like the name of a porn site.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:40 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
I want to try and get on that show since I live in the same city as him and feel like I'm semi-legit, but I don't know if that would happen :lol:

As a fellow former metalsetlists OG, I would love to see that.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:38 pm 

TrueDynamite wrote:
I haven't watched Blagorath in a while, so I don't know what they're doing now.

I used to like Blagorath, but really his channel is about 70percent devoted to deathcore these days, though he still pretends to be a "black metal guy". He has a lot of stupid opinions too...he's a black metal elitist that thinks deathcore "destroys" all death metal on both brutality and songwriting ( :lol: ), and that old school death metal is "boring". Oh, and he hates all thrash metal - old or new, hates all heavy metal - old or new, says Death were "generic" ( :nono: ), Venom & Judas Priest were "pure garbage", and best of all, says "St. Anger" is the only good Metallica album ( :durr: )........plus, he's a huge trend-hopper & bandwagoner, I've noticed.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:57 pm 

true_death wrote:
TrueDynamite wrote:
I haven't watched Blagorath in a while, so I don't know what they're doing now.

I used to like Blagorath, but really his channel is about 70percent devoted to deathcore these days, though he still pretends to be a "black metal guy". He has a lot of stupid opinions too...he's a black metal elitist that thinks deathcore "destroys" all death metal on both brutality and songwriting ( :lol: ), and that old school death metal is "boring". Oh, and he hates all thrash metal - old or new, hates all heavy metal - old or new, says Death were "generic" ( :nono: ), Venom & Judas Priest were "pure garbage", and best of all, says "St. Anger" is the only good Metallica album ( :durr: )........plus, he's a huge trend-hopper & bandwagoner, I've noticed.

Sounds like a troll that needs to be flagged off Youtube like Milo Yippopotamus.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:00 am 

Oh wow Blagorath did that, huh? Alwayd preferred Infidelamsterdam anyway.

RichardDeBenthall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:10 am 

I like some of his stuff a lot. The Metal Evolution DVD was pretty crucial in expanding my knowledge of metal beyond my dad's music taste (NWOBHM, Sabbath and Zeppelin) and kind of reignited my passion for the music scene when I was a disillusioned teenager.

The Metal Evolution series is pretty cool too, boasts some good interviews and is a fantastic way of getting people into metal music.

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:16 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Sam Dunn just seems like a kiss ass with most of his interviews and his questions are always boringly vague, the lock horns videos while good in theory barely scratch the surface of genres and mostly appear as a muddled mess with guests that sometimes know what they're on about and others that are way off.

Dunn is such an on-the-fence personality it gets tedious to watch his awkward metal assumptions and backpeddling. Yeah sure he got metal more packaged into to the mainstream and provided a 101 source of info about popular bands but his wiki definition style content comes off mostly awkward, misguided and arrogant.

So he's like most people on metal forums then?

putrenista
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:54 am 

On The Metal Evolution series.

^ Yeah, I just watched a couple episodes of that last night and they were way more informative than what I expected. Specifically the Glam and Thrash, and Grunge episodes. Seen the Early Metal and NWOBHM episodes too, and they were mostly what I already know.

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:16 pm 

He's alright, I watch his youtube occasionally and enjoyed some of his movies. But he does have some stupid ideas, watch the Doom Metal episode, though a lot of that was his stupid guests.

Reply to topic