Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:44 pm 

Butthurt or not, that's exactly the kind of ''humour'' I expected from people who keep bashing a band for sixteen years :-) I'm quite confident about my tastes and stand by my opinions. Anybody who says otherwise doesn't know shit about me. But hey, at least some people wrote something constructive here like Ilwhyan, Oxenkiller and true_death, thanks a lot. So long and I'm already looking forward to the band's new records and the 20+ butthurt reviews about them :-)

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:57 pm 

You're the one that's been talking shit about everyone else here. And for the record I've never bashed In Flames, so nice try on that one.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:58 pm 

People confident in their opinions don't continually post nonsense bashing everyone else for hating a band like they're the band leader's mom. People confident in their opinions just accept that not everyone likes the same things and it doesn't mean they're all butthurt loser metal fans who hate change. People confident in their opinions don't grasp for any flimsy straw they can to assume a false sense of superiority when really they're just masking how much they hate it when not everyone agrees with them.

You're about as thick skinned as Casper the Friendly Ghost.

PS Liking new In Flames and Ghost, or whoever else you praise in your reviews, doesn't make you open minded. That's like saying liking Top 40 radio hits makes you open minded.

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:01 pm 

kluseba wrote:
Butthurt or not, that's exactly the kind of ''humour'' I expected from people who keep bashing a band for sixteen years :-) I'm quite confident about my tastes and stand by my opinions. Anybody who says otherwise doesn't know shit about me. But hey, at least some people wrote something constructive here like Ilwhyan, Oxenkiller and true_death, thanks a lot. So long and I'm already looking forward to the band's new records and the 20+ butthurt reviews about them :-)

k bye. Back to Tumblr you go
Was du geschlagen
zu Gott wird es dich tragen!

-Gustav Mahler

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:16 pm 

theoctavarius wrote:
Back to Tumblr you go

:lol: I think screwelitists.tumblr.com is still unclaimed!

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:52 pm 

It must be asked...who's responsible for In Flames sucking?

If you're about to type "Anders Friden" in 100pt font....I don't think it's that simple.

All of In Flames's classic period (Jester Race thru Clayman) is credited to Strömblad / Gelotte. This is not in dispute. But Reroute to Remain was entirely written by Strömblad / Gelotte too! Soundtrack to Your Escape thru A Sense of Purpose is Friden / Strömblad / Gelotte (I don't know how the labour was divided - would it be right to assume Friden's contribution was lyrics and the other two wrote the music?) while Sounds of a Playground Fading is all Gelotte, with Friden writing lyrics. The last album is Friden / Gelotte, and since Gelotte's name is last I assume he contributed less.

So it's hard to gauge In Flames' quality based on who's writing the music, and the exact nature of Friden's contributions is somewhat in doubt. Does he write music? Or is he just a lyricist?

Either way In Flames doesn't seem like Queensryche, whose terrible period can be blamed almost entirely on one person. It's a bit of a mystery, unless all three of them simultaneously started liking alternative rock.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:49 pm 

MawBTS wrote:

Here's something Jesper said a couple years ago, which is pretty interesting:
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former ... -to-leave/

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:05 am 

true_death wrote:
MawBTS wrote:

Here's something Jesper said a couple years ago, which is pretty interesting:
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former ... -to-leave/

In any case, Jesper played in Nu In Flames for 8 years, four albums and who knows what absurd number of shows. Maybe that different direction he was talking about wasn't the modern, American sound they adopted in 2002, but more where they started going after Come Clarity?

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:23 pm 

Glenn Ljungström did write quite a bit of stuff while he was in the band too. As for the rest of the question, I guess maybe internal dynamics shifted, a bit like when Peter Lindgren progressively withdrew from songwriting in Opeth before actually leaving - it can be anything. Jesper suddenly realizing that In Flames was no longer the band it originally was struck me as weird - but then again, Jesper as a whole has been rather weird for a while now.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:11 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
In any case, Jesper played in Nu In Flames for 8 years, four albums and who knows what absurd number of shows. Maybe that different direction he was talking about wasn't the modern, American sound they adopted in 2002, but more where they started going after Come Clarity?

Most likely, but I think the fact that he did Dimension Zero for many years (while still in In Flames), and later on The Resistance and re-forming Ceremonial Oath, shows at the very least that he is still connected and interested with the death metal scene, unlike anyone else in the band. And from what I remember even the "Nu In Flames" period with him still in the band, retained a faint trace of a 'melodeath' sound (or maybe 'melogroove'? :lol:), and it wasn't until he quit that they went full-on radio/alternative metal. Granted, it's been a long time since I heard any of that and I don't really care enough to play it again to make sure...

lupin99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:32 pm 

I feel that this pic is still relevant to how i feel about the band:

*note this was a pic someone did about 10 years ago, it still makes me laugh* :)

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:49 pm 

HELLYEAH!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:16 pm 

I'm not sure which band name is dumber -- HELLYEAH or From Ashes to New. Either way, In Flames touring with bottom of the barrel bands isn't surprising. Birds of a feather flock together.
Was du geschlagen
zu Gott wird es dich tragen!

-Gustav Mahler

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:35 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:

I think that when they released Come Clarity(which I love) IF was still a pretty solid band but when Jesper left the band the ending for IF began.

MyrVarg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:18 pm 

I don't understand why people still follow In Flames and think that they'll somehow magically go back to their unique brand of melodic death metal from the 90s or make anything worth their time. Do people really believe that some day we're going to somehow get The Jester Race 2 after all these alternative rock/metal albums?

In Flames was Jesper's band but now that he's gone the chance of them going back to their old sound is basically zero since In Flames is the Bjorn and Anders show now. So why waste your time and energy focusing on something that will never happen when you can listen to say, Insomnium or countless other melodic death bands making more interesting music?

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:53 pm 

MyrVarg wrote:
I don't understand why people still follow In Flames and think that they'll somehow magically go back to their unique brand of melodic death metal from the 90s or make anything worth their time. Do people really believe that some day we're going to somehow get The Jester Race 2 after all these alternative rock/metal albums?

I feel the same way. I don't understand people holding out for these guys to do something again in their old style that they've abandoned for almost 2 decades now. It'll never happen. Even if melodic death metal somehow becomes the next big thing in popular music and In Flames jump back on that bandwagon to sell records, it'll be a pathetic attempt to sound like their old stuff and it will be forced and sound terrible. Besides, Anders can't growl the way he did on those old records anymore, and half the band members are different. They'd never be able to re-create what they did, even if they wanted to.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:29 pm 

As has been already stated in this thread, most people aren't following this because they except a back-to-the-roots album - sometimes it's just damn fun to observe something terrible and shitty get more terrible and shittier. The old "slowing down on the road to look at the car accident" axiom.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:47 pm 

Well, it's not like they haven't made attempts at returning to melodeath :lol:.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:44 pm 

lupin99 wrote:
I feel that this pic is still relevant to how i feel about the band:

*note this was a pic someone did about 10 years ago, it still makes me laugh* :)

Someone should redo that pic with Anders Friden's new "breaking into alt comedy" look.

RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:09 pm 

MyrVarg wrote:
So why waste your time and energy focusing on something that will never happen when you can listen to say, Insomnium or countless other melodic death bands making more interesting music?

Brand loyalty.

MyrVarg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:43 pm 

RNG wrote:
MyrVarg wrote:
So why waste your time and energy focusing on something that will never happen when you can listen to say, Insomnium or countless other melodic death bands making more interesting music?

Brand loyalty.

That actually made me laugh out loud.

Quote:
As has been already stated in this thread, most people aren't following this because they except a back-to-the-roots album - sometimes it's just damn fun to observe something terrible and shitty get more terrible and shittier. The old "slowing down on the road to look at the car accident" axiom.

While I don't like their newer stuff as much as the classic stuff, I don't think it's even that terrible. It's dull and mainstream pandering but it's not 'so bad it's good/humorous' like say Morbid Angel on Illud Divinus Insanus or Celtic Frost on Cold Lake or Prototype or even All That Remains sounding like Nickelback on their newest material. Newer In Flames is only boring alternative rock/metal, nothing remarkably good or bad.

RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:28 pm 

MyrVarg wrote:

A band like IF has long since become more of a brand name than anything. This goes for a lot of long-running bands who can get away with releasing mediocre, or abysmal, content and continue to see sales (see: basically all of the big 4 thrash bands). But in IF's case, the brand is all that remains of their identity - the people who made the band's name famous have long since left.

I think it's perfectly appropriate to admit that a lot of big-name bands are purely for-profit enterprises.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:06 pm 

MawBTS wrote:
Someone should redo that pic with Anders Friden's new "breaking into alt comedy" look.

He looks like the kind of guy who drinks IPAs that taste like armpit sweat and tells people on the internet how he's been "redpilled".

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:33 pm 

^Adding to that, he's the kind of broski that thinks Alexander Kieth's IPA is a craft beer, and it's his favourite.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:32 am 

RNG wrote:
MyrVarg wrote:

A band like IF has long since become more of a brand name than anything. This goes for a lot of long-running bands who can get away with releasing mediocre, or abysmal, content and continue to see sales (see: basically all of the big 4 thrash bands). But in IF's case, the brand is all that remains of their identity - the people who made the band's name famous have long since left.

I think it's perfectly appropriate to admit that a lot of big-name bands are purely for-profit enterprises.

Well. if they can live from tours and albums, I guess is better tan being 8-10 hours working at the office.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:34 am 

MyrVarg wrote:

In Flames was Jesper's band but now that he's gone the chance of them going back to their old sound is basically zero since In Flames is the Bjorn and Anders show now. So why waste your time and energy focusing on something that will never happen when you can listen to say, Insomnium or countless other melodic death bands making more interesting music?

I never expected them to go back to their old sound, just to release something good, whatever the style, approach, genre, what have you. Of course that doesn't stop me from checking out a ton of other music in the meantime :)
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:01 pm 

New song.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:10 pm 

A Sense of Purpose type stuff. I still wouldn't call it good but said album was one of their better (relatively speaking) modern efforts. That said however, Anders sounds even worse than usual.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:14 pm 

traxan wrote:
New song.

I dig the new track. It heavier and it has some interesting parts. The vocals are weird at times but sadly I have taken it for granted.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:40 pm 

That felt like such a soulless attempt at doing an old sound just to appease people that hate what they've become. It didn't fucking work at all.

Also, what the hell is up with the mix on this song? The vocals literally make everything else go quieter, the guitar is almost silent at times, and the guitar tone on the solo completely clashes with everything else. They can't even do recording a song right anymore.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:25 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Also, what the hell is up with the mix on this song? The vocals literally make everything else go quieter, the guitar is almost silent at times, and the guitar tone on the solo completely clashes with everything else. They can't even do recording a song right anymore.

That's exactly what I was thinking. The snare seems off, and the palm mutes get completely lost even without the vocals over them. Also sounds like the vocals were produced to take up the space that guitars normally occupy, and not only does that sound annoying, but I think it also lends a sort of pop sound that's completely out of place. Even fucking Babymetal sounds better.

I really enjoyed A Sense of Purpose, but these last few albums are just getting worse and worse.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:29 am 

It has a weird mix. The bass and vocals are very loud compared to everything else. Normally in metal your loudest instruments are drums and guitars. It has riffs, like a metal song, but it isn't driven by them because of the mix, so between the vocal parts and guitar solo, there's just bits of emptiness, so to speak. Radio compression probably makes it sound more like a song.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:15 pm 

Listening to the new album right now. I'm about halfway through it. It's nothing spectacular, but it's definitely a step or two above Siren Charms. My one complaint is that the solos don't have much of a buildup of fadeout to them. You'll just be listening to the song and suddenly it's solo time for a few seconds and then it's back to the normal song and both transitions are very abrupt and jarring.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:41 pm 

tahu157 wrote:
Listening to the new album right now. I'm about halfway through it. It's nothing spectacular, but it's definitely a step or two above Siren Charms. My one complaint is that the solos don't have much of a buildup of fadeout to them. You'll just be listening to the song and suddenly it's solo time for a few seconds and then it's back to the normal song and both transitions are very abrupt and jarring.

Ugh, I tried listening to Siren Charms the other day. What a fucking crap album! How did they come to this? It's just boring over-down groove riffs and lame pop choruses. There is not meat to this shit. I don't know how you guys manage to keep faith that they'll eventually stop releasing turd after turd after turd...

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:13 pm 

I actually like the above song but the vocals are just headache inducing. I don't now how he's continued with such an irritatingly wonky vocal style, he actually sounds like Bobcat Goldthwait at his most cocaine induced era.

Eradicatedseraphim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:39 pm 

This bane has been the whipping boy for metalheads since the mid 2000s. I heard a few songs from a Sense of purpose years ago and didn't care for it, I'm astonished they still have an audience after all these years. Can they still milk their Nuclear blast records for a setlist at Wacken? What new fans has this band attracted, I've never seen a fan of Hellyeah (in the US) even mention this band.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:24 am 

Eradicatedseraphim wrote:
This bane has been the whipping boy for metalheads since the mid 2000s. I heard a few songs from a Sense of purpose years ago and didn't care for it, I'm astonished they still have an audience after all these years. Can they still milk their Nuclear blast records for a setlist at Wacken? What new fans has this band attracted, I've never seen a fan of Hellyeah (in the US) even mention this band.

I seriously cannot grasp who the actual fuck is the audience for newer In Flames. The fans of the early days are gone. Groove crap is fading away slowly, moving towards the more tech-oriented genres like Djent. Metalcore is not as popular as it was in the mid 2000, and even if they are still using the typical melodic death metal song structures, their riffs are bland and uncreative. So here goes the melodic death metal fanbase.

Can someone tell me who listens to this crap?

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:25 am 

Quote:
Can someone tell me who listens to this crap?

Nobody, but that doesn't matter. Thousands of kids remember them as "my first metal band" and they can coast on that reputation pretty much forever. Hook a listener when they're young and you've got them for life.

They're like the Offspring. Irrelevant, but nostalgia means they can still draw a crowd.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:59 am 

i think the in flames fanbase is mostly the mainstream alternative nowadays. Not kids you would meet at a king diamond or a bolt thrower show. There are a lot of these mainstream alternative people in europe hence why they are still big.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:50 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
i think the in flames fanbase is mostly the mainstream alternative nowadays. Not kids you would meet at a king diamond or a bolt thrower show. There are a lot of these mainstream alternative people in europe hence why they are still big.

I've always pretty much avoided this crowd, so it might be why I'm still not getting what really makes them like the crap they like. Like these kids who listen to Seether or Soulfly, even if it's total garbage.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next