Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
basher666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:34 am 

Hi fellas,

Looking for information about the NWOBHM band Crucifixion, I thought of searching through the pages the Kerrang magazines issued during the early 1980s. I spent a lot of time browsing for a zip archive of old Kerrang issues, but I couldnt lay my hand on it.

Does anyone know if they are copyright free and, if so, if it's possible to find them on internet? And is there a way to read them digitally (by paying if needed), without having to buy them on Ebay? What if even Kerrang didnt even keep a digital archive of their issues?

Im convinced they carry a big historical interest, and it would be great if they are copyright free, to be able to access those back issues anytime!

Plus if you know any magazine from the 1980s that might be easier to find, I'm all ears!

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:44 am 

Metal Forces was popular back then, and better than Kerrrang!. Some older articles have been posted on their site, some interviews are good, for example the one where Lombardo left Slayer:

http://www.metalforcesmagazine.com/

basher666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:49 am 

Thanks for the link, I just bookmarked it! Some interesting interviews indeed, currently reading the one made with Quorthon in 1987... piece of history!

Unfortunately, the fact they decide what article they will publish or not will condemn us not to ever read the interviews of small obscure forgotten bands, which are the ones I'm the most interested in because those magazines from the 80s will be pretty much the only source of informations about them.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:51 am 

befriend some old farts next time you go to a show, they probably have a garage full of old mags... I know some that do :)

Crucufixion (you mean the "green eyes" band, right?) are a really obscure band, though, so I don't think you'd find much anyway. maybe in Sounds. I don't think Kerrang would have published more than a review on them...

edit: try this guy: http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/J ... ker/228615 but be nice! :)

basher666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:05 am 

Yes, the Green Eyes band! What gave me the idea to dig into Kerrang archives is those lines :

Quote:
Regardless, Neat Records were not ready to give the band the option of a full length album yet. Sales weren't high enough and bad press, most notably "Kerrang" magazine, put a halt on the immediate future for Crucifixion.

Source : http://maximummetal.com/columns/tales/129.asp

Yeah it's not a bad idea to turn to the elder ones, have a few acquaintances in my mind I will ask asap.

Regarding John Tucker (who I didnt know before, thanks for the tip), do you suggest me to turn to him to access old zines issues, or to get information about Crucifixion precisely? I just read he wrote a story about Neat Records (where Crucifixion's Green Eyes has been released), so maybe if I end up writing that article about Crucifixion, I might turn to him... but very politely, I swear!

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:23 am 

basher666 wrote:
Quote:
bad press, most notably "Kerrang" magazine

that sounds like a review to me, not unusual for kerrang ...which is why they don't have their archives online. your jaw would drop if you saw what kind of cult and classic albums they had trashed. and still do.

basher666 wrote:
Regarding John Tucker (who I didnt know before, thanks for the tip), do you suggest me to turn to him to access old zines issues, or to get information about Crucifixion precisely?

nooooooooo, just send him an email about Crucifixion, if he has any press clippings or info he could share... don't ask for his entire archive! you wouldn't even get a reply from me if you did that! :D

oh, and "if you end up writing that article", post it here pls :)

basher666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:30 am 

I sure will! Thanks for everything, it's much helpful! :)

thrasher1971
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:09 pm 

Try this page : https://sendbackmystamps.org/

basher666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:40 pm 

thrasher1971 wrote:

Precious!!! Thanks for sharing!

Reply to topic