Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
syx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:30 am 

Bolzer have a new album coming out called 'Hero';

" Recordings for 'HERO' have been completed!
This was an intensive, life-changing experience with heartfelt thanks going out to our dear friends/audio wonderboyz Michael Zech & Victor Santura for their patience, inspiration and hospitality. Tight, tight, tight!!!
ACHTUNG sensitive scene-police, this one will get your sirens wailing...

Vae Victis

//BLZR"

Taken from their facebook page.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:37 am 

syx wrote:
Tight, tight, tight!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLHLsbD9emc

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:30 am 

Well... finally! :lol:
That took quite a bit of time and i can't wait to hear the results, i love bands that have such an easy recognizable sound so early in their career :)

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:18 am 

Last edited by Nyaricus on Fri May 27, 2016 3:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:38 am 

Maybe I should finally get around to checking out the second EP then.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:40 am 

The last bit of that announcement seems rather uh...shit-stirring. Are they talking about the PC Police? 'Hero' is a concept album about Adolph's rise to power.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:55 am 

Band is a wee bit of a one hit wonder with wolfshook, but its all pretty good and I'm excited nonetheless.

Warlord Wossman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:05 am 

This year is getting better and better for me. Tons of good releases!

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:20 am 

Yesss. I was very underwhelmed by Soma but Aura is still a masterpiece and they are one of the most entrancing live bands right now. Seeing them in a week, hopefully they'll play a taste of the new stuff.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:12 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
The last bit of that announcement seems rather uh...shit-stirring. Are they talking about the PC Police? 'Hero' is a concept album about Adolph's rise to power.

Kinda obvious really. I've never known someone with as much of an intense Swastika obsession as Okoi, that's for sure :lol:

I really should hunt down a copy of Aura before this comes out... that one's been on the must-find for a while but then again I'm lazy.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:04 am 

chaossphere wrote:
Jonpo wrote:

Kinda obvious really. I've never known someone with as much of an intense Swastika obsession as Okoi, that's for sure :lol:

I was chowing down at a picnic table at MDF a couple of years ago as he was having a chat with someone in the parking lot. I recognized him from the Bolzer show the night before and started ogling his tattoos, as you do, and realized he has quite the collection of swastikas. At any rate, I'm eager to hear how these new songs will hold up on a full-length album. I have to go back and listen to Soma, because I can't remember a thing about it, just that it wasn't as good as Aura.

Dead1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:37 am 

I really struggle to get the appeal of this band. I found both EPs to have some ok bits but were pretty boring for the most part.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:22 am 

Mysticaloldbard wrote:

I was chowing down at a picnic table at MDF a couple of years ago as he was having a chat with someone in the parking lot. I recognized him from the Bolzer show the night before and started ogling his tattoos, as you do, and realized he has quite the collection of swastikas. At any rate, I'm eager to hear how these new songs will hold up on a full-length album. I have to go back and listen to Soma, because I can't remember a thing about it, just that it wasn't as good as Aura.

First time I met him (back when he was still living in NZ) he was wearing a shirt with a relief map of Europe that said "Adolf Hitler - European Tour 1939-1945" :lol:

CircleovZaphyan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:39 am 

The scene police gets Disma kicked off Oakland Death Fest, but Bolzer is just dandy. Wonder how many bay area PC wimps were shocked at Okoi's arms.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:56 am 

CircleovZaphyan wrote:
The scene police gets Disma kicked off Oakland Death Fest, but Bolzer is just dandy. Wonder how many bay area PC wimps were shocked at Okoi's arms.

Nah, Daryl (guitarist) left the band before the California Deathfest and he was basically the only one keeping in contact with the dudes in charge. They legit did get kicked out of Netherlands Deathfest for Pillard's side project though.

When I went to CDF I heard a few people were talking about his tattoos, in fact the only person I remember actually speaking out against Nazis was this guy no older than 16. Pretty much everyone that went on Friday were only there for Friday and didn't go to the other 2 days.

Consider me fucking HYPED for this.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:37 pm 

The difference is that while Okoi is interested in the spiritual/pagan meanings behind those symbols, he has been very vocal about his distaste for NS-style ideologies and politics. Read the lyrics for "Wolfshook" again.

Pumped, though, for sure. One of the rare cases of a hyped band deserving the hype, and sadly too many people wrote them off as either one-hit wonders (not true at all IMO even if "Wolfshook" is the most readily accessible/memorable) or "nothing special" which is just baffling to me considering the band has one of the most readily identifiable riffing styles of any new band I've come across recently.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:54 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
The difference is that while Okoi is interested in the spiritual/pagan meanings behind those symbols, he has been very vocal about his distaste for NS-style ideologies and politics. .

Correct. He's a very smart dude, not some boneheaded Nazi thug. Still, I suspect he enjoys baiting the PC police as much as anyone.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:59 pm 

nothing is better than preemptive whining about the PC police.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:52 pm 

It would be preemptive if they'd done it before the release of the first EP. At this stage it seems like Bolzer have fallen into the same category as Destroyer 666 and Gospel of the Horns - bands that have somehow flown right under the PC police's radar.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:31 pm 

chaossphere wrote:
It would be preemptive if they'd done it before the release of the first EP. At this stage it seems like Bolzer have fallen into the same category as Destroyer 666 and Gospel of the Horns - bands that have somehow flown right under the PC police's radar.

Nah, Gospel used to cop it a bit. I remember sometime around 2003 the ANTIFA goon squad pasted flyers up around Melbourne denouncing them.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

RepeatOffender
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:18 am 

Looking forward to this.

Great live show too, for anyone considering seeing them.

Whatever79
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:00 pm 

So are they gonna release an album cover with Hitler singing karaoke to "I Need a Hero"???

Also isn't Okoi the son of Paul Ubana Jones? Who is half-african. If he was a Nazi he would be the worst fuckin example of an Aryan ubermensch hahaha

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:33 pm 

Whatever79 wrote:

Also isn't Okoi the son of Paul Ubana Jones? Who is half-african. If he was a Nazi he would be the worst fuckin example of an Aryan ubermensch hahaha

Shit, I had no idea about that. I actually thought you were joking so I looked it up and yeah, apparently so.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:24 am 

Just saw them last night and they played two tracks. Both ~8 minutes with their classic riffing style and martial drums, definitely closer to Aura than Soma. So excited for the album.

Warlord Wossman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:34 am 

New song is out:

https://soundcloud.com/bolzer/i-am-iii

I will have to listen a few times before I can say anything.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:44 pm 

Very disappointing honestly. It sounds like Bolzer, but a much tamer and lamer version of the band.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:55 pm 

Blozza have started using Sabaton album titles.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:57 pm 

This song is really good. Iconoclastic and bold and original sounding stuff just like their other material. I dig the shamanic, vocal-only chanting intro and the Neurosis-style pounding guitars. I like that they're using clean vocals too - very different, affecting sound when contrasted with the harsher, noisier DM parts.

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:58 pm 

Warlord Wossman wrote:
New song is out:

https://soundcloud.com/bolzer/i-am-iii

I will have to listen a few times before I can say anything.

Meh. The Mastodon-esque clean vocals were really off-putting, and the music itself was pretty drab and directionless. Never understood the appeal of this band, besides WOW RIFFS.
Was du geschlagen
zu Gott wird es dich tragen!

-Gustav Mahler

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:01 pm 

Do people listen to metal for reasons other than riffs? :scratch: (before someone goes on about the other merits of metal, I'm like 40% joking)

Directionless is a good description for this track.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:10 pm 

I like it, though I'm disappointed that the clean production removes that massive "space-foggy" sound that made Aura sound so great.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:04 pm 

Could be a grower, and also could work better in context. At least they're trying something new instead of trying to recreate one of their two good songs.

Warlord Wossman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:31 pm 

I can't really tell yet but I hope there are songs with more power on it as well.

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:41 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
I like it, though I'm disappointed that the clean production removes that massive "space-foggy" sound that made Aura sound so great.

The fact it only has half the dynamic range doesn't help, either. Shame that another band is opting for the brickwalled route.
Was du geschlagen
zu Gott wird es dich tragen!

-Gustav Mahler

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:42 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:

my thoughts exactly - judging by this one track, i'm sure i'll like the album, but i wish the clean parts had that huge echoy feel to them like on aura... i guess they'd need to be more like bellows and less like trad singing as well tho'

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:28 am 

I listened to the new song twice and I'm 100% sure this will be a grower. I love the mid-paced feel of it, and the 10 minutes didn't feel drawn out to me. Some people have described the song as directionless, and I can see that, but I liked it for what it is. Further listens will probably allow it to stick a little bit more, but my interest in this band has certainly increased again. Looking forward to hearing some more. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:39 pm 

I like the song well enough. But it is pretty amusing that this band that was once hyped as the biggest and hottest thing in death metal now just sounds like a meandering Mastodon clone :lol: some jokes just write themselves! But the music ain't bad, probably sounds best live when it captures the whole "ritualistic/orthodox shindiggery" gimmick. It all makes sense that my friend whose favorite band is Neurosis also happened to worship this band.

I'll be interested in hearing the whole thing. But clearly Deathcult is where the death metal fury is being kept. Beasts of Faith has some great riffage and arrangements.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Dunwitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:18 am 

This sounds almost nothing like Mastodon. Sure the vocals are somewhat similar but with a very different feel to them. Here they sound almost like ancient chants of something like that.

Here's a quote from the Guy that runs Invictus:

Quote:
Invictus
"This song is the most 'controversial' on the album, IMO, given some of the riffs and rhythms in it, which is why I am guessing they chose to publish it first. One thing is for sure, it has elicited a reaction across the board so, promo wise, job done." forum

From metalireland.

I'm a huge fan of this guys and I'm definitely not disappointed. If you saw this guys live in the last 6 months this new direction isn't a surprise. I like it, not really looking for them to repeat Wolfshook for the rest of their career.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:25 pm 

Heard the album today, it's indeed a new direction with some Mastodon similarities but it's pretty good. 9 songs/46 minutes but 3 of them are 0:40 to 1:00 min interludes. The production is super great, it's clean and epic.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Warlord Wossman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:00 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Heard the album today, it's indeed a new direction with some Mastodon similarities but it's pretty good. 9 songs/46 minutes but 3 of them are 0:40 to 1:00 min interludes. The production is super great, it's clean and epic.

Are there some faster more aggressive songs than "I am III" on there? Would be good to know.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next