Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
twistedknife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:24 pm 

I am finding new CDs from eBay.ca end up being $20 each (shipping included) in Canadian dollars.

Amazon.ca has some for cheaper, but a much smaller selection. Discogs, with shipping and everything, usually ends up being $20 per CD as well.

I should mention used CDs on eBay, with shipping, end up around $20 as well. I am able to get $20 per new CD because this one seller gives free shipping.

How much do you spend per CD? For the Canadians, is $20 a CD considered extreme? I can't seem to find any better deals.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:54 pm 

$15-20 CND for CDs is perfectly normal (I consider $15 to be cheap). Imports will cost you more, of course (and this is highly dependent on the exchange rate). If you do a lot if importing, you also have to factor in shipping (which keeps increasing) and possibly customs fees. Not a cheap habit. And as a Canadian, I find CD ordering to be especially bad these days.

Ordering via bulk economizes quite a bit (esp. on shipping or if there's a sale), but that can lead to buying stuff I normally wouldn't get. This used to be a major problem with me, but thankfully I've curtailed it.

I've done all my ordering from Japan the last few years, and that isn't exactly cheap. I'm not too concerned about price or deals anymore - how much I actually enjoy the album is all that matters to me. I'd rather drop $50 on one CD I'll play 25 times as opposed to 5 CDs that cost $10 (or less) each which will only get played once and turn into dust magnets. I think that 95+% of all bargain bin raids I ended up getting rid of in the end.

Paganitzu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:03 pm 

Depends where you get them from in Canada. Cheapest I know of is Profound Lore's webshop, their stuff is generally a little over 10 dollars shipping included. Besides their releases they have some distro for Dark Descent and a few other labels usually, but in limited quantities.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:04 pm 

Depends on what you're buying. I spent $110 USD on one cd including shipping.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:13 pm 

At the record stores around here, most metal CDs run an average of $11 to $14, which is really annoying because the price of CDs for practically every other genre of music runs an average of $7 to $11. Like fuck that, if it's just a plain jewel case CD and the album is just the regular album without any bonus tracks, it shouldn't cost more than $10. If it were a special edition/came in a digipak/had bonus material I could understand, but it's really frustrating. Not to mention, they got some nerve charging so much when their selection is quite rubbish.

I used to spend ridiculous amounts of time scouring those store's metal sections for stuff, but lately I only give them a quick glance. Most of the metal albums I want nowadays are stuff that's more easily acquired online than in person, and at least it gives me a chance to browse and purchase albums from other genres of music I want (and since those CDs are much cheaper, I can buy more in bulk where as with metal CDs I can only hope to walk out with 3 or 4 at most if they're not all brand new).

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:27 pm 

It varies greatly, but if I were to make a guess about the averages, it would look something like this:

CD's 8 €
Tapes 4,5 €
Vinyls 14 €

Excluding possible postages

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:36 pm 

regularly between $10-25

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:37 pm 

Speed Ritual Records has cheap CDs, I paid $8 USD for a full-length CD ($4 for the CD, $4 for shipping to Canada).

All 20 of my band's CDs are $6.66 USD with free shipping almost anywhere.

Last edited by CloggedUrethra on Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:57 pm 

Generally I'm paying $12-$17 for a new CD. A lot of CDs by major labels or the big independents seem to be around $16 or $17 when they hit the shelves, and I have no problem paying that if I'm going to be spinning the CD regularly. I'll spend upwards of that for hard to find CDs, although I can't think of an instance where I've spent more than $30 for one CD.

CDs from bands not associated with the bigger labels will cost me $7-$10 from small online mail orders or labels.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:13 pm 

Australia is expensive for CD's in stores. At the metal shop I go to in Sydney, I have to be prepared to pay at least $25 for a new CD, even $30 or slightly more if they're evil about it.

It's cheaper to buy CD's online, even when factoring in conversion (which sucks now) and shipping rates to the ass-end of the world.

I have spent lots of money for rare albums - usually $50+. Most I ever spent was $100 for an original press of Rottrevore's Iniquitous.

EDIT:
SkullFracturingNightmare wrote:
At the record stores around here, most metal CDs run an average of $11 to $14, which is really annoying because the price of CDs for practically every other genre of music runs an average of $7 to $11. Like fuck that, if it's just a plain jewel case CD and the album is just the regular album without any bonus tracks, it shouldn't cost more than $10. If it were a special edition/came in a digipak/had bonus material I could understand, but it's really frustrating. Not to mention, they got some nerve charging so much when their selection is quite rubbish.

$11 for a CD is too much? Mate, I could only dream. :lol:

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Ozenrol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:52 pm 

Anywhere between $8.00 to $14.00 is average here. New releases generally run up to $17 depending on what it entails (box sets, DCDs, etc).

I don't really have the problem of not being able to find what I want in a brick and mortar store, since there's about four or five places that keep a stocked metal section in my area. Besides, most of the time I go into a store I'm not really looking for anything specific, just happening upon something that looks interesting or something I heard about about.

Imports are really an interesting conundrum in the digital age, though, especially with analogue media making such a huge comeback. There's a lot of stuff from Poland and China that I want to get my hands on but I don't feel to keen to drop $40 on a single LP or CD so much these days. In fact, it's been so annoying I've thought about starting a distro and trading/buying wholesale just to make it easier for other Americans who feel the same way as I do. I'm too lazy though, and I wouldn't necessarily know where to start when it comes to dealing with international entities and setting up a system where it's cost effective.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:55 pm 

if you do that Oz that would be awesome. You just need some more people probably locally to keep you motivated. same reason why I can only handle my own shit itself.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:11 pm 

twistedknife wrote:
How much do you spend per CD? For the Canadians, is $20 a CD considered extreme? I can't seem to find any better deals.

I don't think it is considered extreme, but consdiering that your money is also worth more, when our money isn't as low as it is now, I can estimate that 15 USD represents something like 16,5 or 17 Canadian Dollars or so. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

But personaly, anything over 18 Canadian Dollars makes me grind my teeth. When it gets around $20 or $22 then I usually just don't buy it. $15, like others stated, is reasonable, but I also wait for sales when it comes to older, more popular albums, like Genesis, Sabbath or Pink Floyd.

Buying used records in good record stores is also a good option. They don't buy just any crap that might be scratched or badly damaged, and you end up being able to buy records for $5. Which is a very reasonable price for a used album in good condition.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:23 pm 

15 US is about 21 CND, at the moment. The exchange rate is abysmal lately. I hope we don't hit early 00's levels...

XE Currency Converter is a vital tool for anyone doing any importing.

You know, when I see CDs priced less than 15 CND, my gut reaction is to assume there's something wrong with it (eg, a scummy Icarus pressing, promo/cutout, etc).

twistedknife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:41 pm 

Perdition666 wrote:
You know, when I see CDs priced less than 15 CND, my gut reaction is to assume there's something wrong with it (eg, a scummy Icarus pressing, promo/cutout, etc).

I have one Icarus pressing for Heartwork (Carcass). I ordered it a few years ago on Amazon, not realizing it was shipping from Argentina. No wonder it was so cheap (minus shipping!).

Do you think this CD is worth replacing? I'm not sure how bad Icarus pressings are and I can't compare it with anything.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:56 pm 

Probably not, unless there are audio defects or terrible packaging. Also, I'd only do it if you could find a copy for a reasonable price and you had no high priority wants. May be a good reason to get one of those full dynamic range reissues.

titan_v
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:00 pm 

twistedknife wrote:
Perdition666 wrote:

I have one Icarus pressing for Heartwork (Carcass). I ordered it a few years ago on Amazon, not realizing it was shipping from Argentina. No wonder it was so cheap (minus shipping!).

Do you think this CD is worth replacing? I'm not sure how bad Icarus pressings are and I can't compare it with anything.

Solely up to you to replace it. Cheaper isn't always better. The best way to avoid those mistakes again is to use discogs to see if Icarus released it or not. The bigger labels (Metal Blade, Century Media, Earache, Napalm, and Nuclear Blast) are generally the ones with an Icarus, Scarecrow, and Del Imagino Discos release.

On topic, I generally don't spend over $17 new/current, $35 first press/rare.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:11 pm 

If I'm buying from HMV, I usually look for the "2 for $20" or "3 for $15" stickers just so I can buy more CDs and save a little money, but you can't really get 3 quality CDs for 15 bucks (they're usually the shitty, popular albums). Unfortunately, the HMV stores close to my house and university have a very mediocre selection, so my only option for a diverse selection is the superstore in Toronto. I will spend $12.99, or however much a new CD costs, but I wouldn't pay that much for a CD that came out over a year ago.

I usually buy less popular CDs from Amazon, because they tend to be around $7-$15 depending on the seller, brand new and sealed. BUT, shipping and taxes will always be a pain in the ass. I sometimes buy from Amazon themselves as they offer free shipping, but they overcharge for a lot of albums that are readily available.

So, I guess it is normal to pay $15-$20 or more on CDs, even though I think they can be overpriced at times.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:39 pm 

Too much (curse you Japan).

Well, buying CDs from United States sellers is usually pretty cheap for me esp. since USPS has cheap shipping. Buying from Europe automatically adds like any extra $5 on the price because of the darn euro. Shipping options usually suck too. The biggest thing that hits me with western CDs is shipping since there's usually not one store that has everything I want, so there's no reasonable way to buy in bulk. Separate shipping on separate CDs adds up pretty fast. Amazon does have pretty good selection though.

I try not to drop too much on one CD (over $40 or so), but if it's from a band I love; it'll happen from time to time.

Niklas Sanger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:04 pm 

I usually spend around $8 to $15, it all varies, I don't live near any actual record stores but I'll find good stuff at Barnes and Noble and Best Buy from time to time. (I just got a Dissection cd today from Barnes and Noble) sometimes I get cd's online and its a little cheaper.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:40 pm 

I'm rather spoiled in the US, I'll only spend 14.99 if it's something that I have confirmed is good and I expect it to rise in price. Otherwise, $11.99 or so is my limit. CDs discounted to $7.99 on Amazon and Best Buy have caused me to buy albums that I wouldn't have otherwise, like the most recent Job for a Cowboy and Red Dragon Cartel. Oftentimes, if a CD is consistently expensive, I'll just download it for much less on iTunes or Amazon Prime. Or just use Spotify.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:29 pm 

CDs here generally cost between $7 to $15 for old major label back catalogue stuff, around $20 to $25 for locally manufactured newer ones and anything up to $35 for imports from stores. I buy a lot of used stuff and will often mailorder new releases because it's cheaper even when shipping is factored into the equation.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:10 am 

I can usually fine brand new CDs on ebay or amazon for less than $15 including shipping, but it really depends on the album. I very rarely pay more than $20.

deathgrindder
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:40 am 

Here in Brazil we spend like R$30~50 for a CD, even more if it's imported. US$ dollar is costing around R$3,9 because of the crisis around here, so...yeah, it's being hard. When it comes to second hand CD's we can usually get the most common ones for R$20,00 if you negotiate. There are always the auction groups on Facebook with a lot of expensive (yet very underground brutal stuff) records. Most expensive one I've seen on a store lately was a Death - Sound of Perseverance Deluxe Edition, costing around R$73,00 (around US$18). Minimum wage here is around R$800, so you can imagine how hard it is.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:06 am 

On average, about £5-6 (often I can get CDs for under a fiver with delivery). Sometimes as little as £3 with delivery. Honestly, amazon marketplace is great for s/h bargains, I've always found it to be much cheaper than discogs. It's quite rare that I spend over £10 on a CD (every couple of months, maybe).

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:11 am 

Depends, but it hurts to spend more than 15 euros on a CD, including shipping. Vinyl I'm willing to pay more for, of course.

Metallumz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:04 pm 

I work at HMV in a mainly chav/indie town in the UK so rarely do we get any Metal/Rock CD sales, and it gives me the opportunity to go bargain hunting through the 'unsold' stocks we have before being discontinued for new stock. With the discount cards and vouchers I can easily pick up a new CD for around £5 (rrp £12) as it's still goes towards the sale totals. Picked up Behemoth, Children of Bodom, Iron Maiden, and Slayer during the past month. I consider it as a bonus for having to put up with the crap music that's played through the store during my day-shifts.

ironmaidens_666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:40 am 

Here in Australia Cds usually cost any where from $20-30 at Jb Hi-Fi, But sometimes a bit more then $30 and sometimes a bit less than $20.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:05 am 

Straya's dollar has fucked the international smaller albums, 10USD + $8 shipping is now like $30 again, too much, I miss parity.

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:07 am 

I'm in the Southwest US. I usually spend $9-15 for a used cd on ebay and around the same for used cds from local second hand shops. I'll get lucky on a $6 cd or something on ebay if I stumble across an auction for something I want at the right time but that's the minority. Auctions seem to be rarer these days and replaced by set prices. Discogs prices tend to be higher but that's a second resort for me. I don't use Amazon.

I might go up to $30 for something a little more rare but that's not too often. I hardly ever buy brand new cds or ones that just came out any more but they are often in the $20+ range in places like Best Buy which is a lot to me.

Last edited by hmi on Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:11 am 

twistedknife wrote:
Perdition666 wrote:

Watch ebay for this cd. I've watched (non-Icarus) auctions of it go for $3-4 plus shipping including a deluxe special edition whatever copy I sold recently. If it's bugging you, just replace it because it's likely to be pretty cheap when someone puts it up for a true auction.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:17 am 

Put it this way, I once spent $150 on an Esoteric demo tape, that'd be $211 now. God damn.

~Guest 277521
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:20 am 

In Norway, a normal price for a CD is about 30$CAD if not more so it does get pretty expensive but eh, totally worth it.

Importing here can be a pain as you can pretty quickly get toll which makes your albums cost even more than if you had bought them in Norway.

BrianL
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:57 am 

From amazon, usually $8.99-16.99. Most are usually around $13.99.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:08 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Straya's dollar has fucked the international smaller albums, 10USD + $8 shipping is now like $30 again, too much, I miss parity.

I miss parity, too, however I remember buying albums when our dollar was worth $0.50, and that was tough. At $0.70 it's still a pain, but not as bad as those times. I'm still finding that even with conversion it still remains cheaper to buy online than in store.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:09 pm 

I try to get CDs for under £10, unless they're limited or just rare in which case I might go over £10, but usually not too far over, unless it's a rare occasion when I feel like splashing out on something consistently more. Usually though I interpret albums up for too much more than £10 as just ones which don't come up much on Amazon rather than rare per se, and people just trying to push prices. That or they're Japanese.

It's also usually much cheaper to get stuff online rather than in shop here too, especially on Amazon with its fixed £1.26 shipping fee. A £9.99 album might be up for between £5 and £7, and I managed to get the limited edition of Powerwolf's Blessed & Possessed (with the covers disc) for just over £10 instead of something over £15 on the shelves :P And similarly with Maiden's Book of Souls fancy book edition.
Sometimes I don't always mind paying shelf-prices though, especially if it's a new album from a band I'm eager for.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:35 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:

I miss parity, too, however I remember buying albums when our dollar was worth $0.50, and that was tough. At $0.70 it's still a pain, but not as bad as those times. I'm still finding that even with conversion it still remains cheaper to buy online than in store.

I'm finding it's postage that's killing it for me as I usually buy vinyl. I've gone back to buying instore as the postal cost plus the long wait is killing it for me.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:59 am 

It's rare that I spend more than ten bucks on a CD these days - I get 90% of my stuff used for around $5-9 typically. I'll shell out what I have to do for an awaited new release though. And I have bought a couple outrageous rarities but only a few.

Axalcathu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:07 pm 

Unfortunately because of very difficult situation with local currency in Kazakhstan I didn't order any CD for last year from Europe or USA - this became soooooo expensive. Last January one dollar costs 180 Kazakh tenge, but now it costs 370 - you can feel the difference:))))

Sang Dalang Abu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:13 pm 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
Depends on what you're buying. I spent $110 USD on one cd including shipping.

$110 for one cd, really? :eek:

I've ended with $45. Expensive price I ever bought

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next