Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:41 pm 

http://www.roadburn.com/2015/11/g-i-s-m ... urn-event/

We’re still pinching ourselves to make sure it’s true, and we still haven’t woken up, so it must be: G.I.S.M. are coming to Roadburn! The absolutely legendary Japanese band embody the true meaning of cult – one of the first acts to bridge the gap between hardcore punk and metal, and in the process redefined danger and unpredictability with violent stage antics and the insane aggression of their music.

Over a decade after ceasing activities, G.I.S.M. reappear for their first concert ever outside their native Japan… and it will be on Friday, April 15, at the 013 venue, as part of Lee Dorrian‘s Rituals For The Blind Dead, Part 1. We’ll just keep pinching ourselves until our arms turn purple.

Lee Dorrian gives us the lowdown on how this booking came about: “Over the years I’ve been fortunate enough to have been involved in some pretty amazing activities. This achievement is fairly high up there, in terms of things that have excited me the most. When I got asked to curate Roadburn 2016, I obviously drew up a list of favourite bands and started a process of elimination. I tried Rudimentary Peni but, alas, it was not to be. Then I thought about G.I.S.M….. I thought it was an extremely long shot for many reasons. Mainly because I knew that they had never performed outside of Japan but also, they hadn’t even performed a show in Japan for over a decade.

“Back in ’93 whilst in Tokyo with Cathedral, G.I.S.M. vocalist Sakevi came to the show and invited me and some others back to his apartment the next day, where we all hung out, got stoned and watched human dissection videos (!) amongst other things. It’s a night I will never forget. It’s hard to under-estimate the influence that G.I.S.M. has had on extreme music, particularly hardcore punk over the years. I would say that alongside Discharge, they are probably the most influential in the raw and dirty world of metallic-edged, proper, noisy, hardcore.

“Anyway, via mutual friends, I managed to track Sakevi down again and put forward a serious offer for G.I.S.M. to come over and perform at Rituals For The Blind Dead. After a couple of mails backwards and forwards, he agreed to come and play. I still can’t quite believe that this is actually happening but the flights are booked and they are getting ready to come and boot you so brutally fucking hard in the ass!!!”

Sakevi added “It’s my pleasure to be involved and to be part of such a cool festival. It’s our first time ever playing outside of Japan, and it will be our first show at all since February 2002! We’ll be playing a so-called “classic set” – and I’m already looking forward to having a lot of fun at Roadburn.”

Roadburn Festival takes place between 14 – 17 April 2016 at the 013 venue, in Tilburg, The Netherlands. Tickets are on sale!

HOLY SHIT.

sixhundredand66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:56 pm 

I've never ever considered going to Europe for a show, but GISM has me legitimately contemplating.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:43 pm 

Okay, I think I'm going to Roadburn.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

TadakatsuH0nda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:07 pm 

Whoa... Talk about a "nobody saw that coming" moment.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Japanese Metal Forum

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:17 pm 

the lineup of next years roadburn is shaping up to be incredible even when looking past GISM.

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:22 am 

Exciting addition. My luck is that for me it is just 15 minutes by train to reach the venue.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:04 pm 

They're also supposed to be playing one (one only!) show in North America and it happens to be in my city. Weird as hell. But I'll take it!
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Nanoscourge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:17 pm 

^^ If you're talking about the Toronto show that was "announced", it was a prank by the band Zexx.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:09 pm 

Nanoscourge wrote:
^^ If you're talking about the Toronto show that was "announced", it was a prank by the band Zexx.

Well, i did think it sounded too good to be true. What are you basing these on? And who are these Xess jokers?
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

TadakatsuH0nda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:24 pm 

I heard about the prank too, a friend linked me to this poster they made which was fake. https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=56E2C7C4
------------------------------------------------------------------
Japanese Metal Forum

Nanoscourge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:29 pm 

The source for that flier is a Facebook post that the band made; it has since been deleted but in the comments section the band admitted to making it up. They aren't worthy of opening for a band like G.I.S.M. anyways! This reunion feels weird without Randy Uchida to be honest but it would still be cool to see them, hopefully they do end up doing some sort of NA show in the future.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:07 am 

I bet everyone will be expecting a violent performance and then Sakevi just sits on a chair in a suit smoking a cigarette like William Shatner for his Rocketman cover.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

AllPurposeCulturalCatgirlPutin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:56 am 

droneriot wrote:
I bet everyone will be expecting a violent performance and then Sakevi just sits on a chair in a suit smoking a cigarette like William Shatner for his Rocketman cover.

"Endress... BRO-ckades... fo dah... POOSAYfootah..."

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:22 pm 

it will either be fucked or just some old dudes with smiles on their faces feeling appreciated.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:29 pm 

Great news, definitely an awesome band. Somehow I doubt the performance will reach the legendary violence of the old shows. Wish I had the money to go to Roadburn.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:32 pm 

Does anyone know how many 4-day passes are still available? Should I think of an early Christmas present or do I still have enough time to snag one later on?!

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:49 am 

sales are going faster than last year but the venue got renovated and is larger now. 4 day passes didnt sell out till February last year iirc.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:49 pm 

Thanks mate.

Reply to topic