Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:59 am 

QUEENSRŸCHE will release its new album, "Condition Hüman", on October 2 via Century Media. The CD was recorded in part at at Uberbeatz Studio in Washington with producer Chris "Zeuss" Harris, who has previously worked with ROB ZOMBIE, HATEBREED, SOULFLY and SHADOWS FALL. Pre-Orders are available now at PledgeMusic.com.

"Condition Hüman" track listing:

01. Arrow Of Time
02. Guardian
03. Hellfire
04. Toxic Remedy
05. Selfish Lives
06. Eye9
07. Bulletproof
08. Hourglass
09. Just Us
10. All There Was
11. The Aftermath
12. Condition Hüman

The opening song can be heard here

https://soundcloud.com/centurymedia/que ... ow-of-time

The song sounds pretty metal at least, quite Iron Maiden-ish. It's a fast paced rocker that makes me forget the existence of 'Wot We Do' or most of the post-Empire catalogue. It has a sort of prog feel at the middle so this might rule after all. I'm liking this way more than the Tate track.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:16 pm 

I like this but I'm still cautious. The self titled had a good song or two but came up really flat. We'll see what the rest of the album sounds like.

Like your reviews?

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:43 pm 

Is that a dildo on the right?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:21 pm 

That is some ugly ass cover art. But I like the song titles. For some reason I get a very Queensryche vibe from them, which is good - hopefully this is a good album. I liked the s/t pretty well and the new song is solid. Not expecting any breakout late-era classic, but a solid 80% album will be good enough for me.

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:22 pm 

JohnTheDrummer wrote:
Is that a dildo on the right?

Hahaha, nice observation but I think it's the reflection of the girl from The Ring or something like that. I agree that this is an ugly ass cover; the idea is quite good but the badly executed photoshop manipulation ruins it in my opinion.

Yes it is.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:27 pm 

OKish song, but way too upbeat for Queensrÿche. And the whole production and arrangement sounds artificial, like there's no depth to it.

I was listening to The Warning earlier today, that's actually all the Oueensrÿche I need. AT LEAST in the top 20 metal albums.
Listen and compare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-pSpFiTnZw

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:29 pm 

Wait, wait... is that pronounced "hooman"? That doesn't sound like something a homo sapiens would say.

Zero hope about the album, by the way. I can't believe I'm about to say this but Stryper's album sounds like it will fucking shred and this one will not.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:22 pm 

I wonder if the lyrics or song topics are loosely base on Hannah Arendt's book
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Human_Condition_(book)

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:48 pm 

Yes it's ugly-arse cover art but then they've not often been impressive in that regard. I loved the last album and backed the PledgeMusic campaign for this one, so I'm excited.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

The_Minstrel51
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:53 pm 

I saw the non-GT version of Queensrÿche live recently and it was surprisingly awesome. Was actually quite impressed. Still won't pay any attention to this though.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:34 pm 

Yeah, that album art is kinda bad. But I'm sure the album will rock. The S/T did, and the first song from this one did too.

Meditari
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:18 pm 

This band has always been extremely hit or miss for me, but I do really like Operation: Mindcrime and Empire. I haven't listened much to the albums after those 2, but I remember reading some negative things. I'm not really sure where to start in picking back up this band. I guess I'll start with this album, despite that cover art. The opening song was pretty cool, the music from 1:47 to 2:48 was actually pretty awesome.

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:52 pm 

Meditari wrote:
This band has always been extremely hit or miss for me, but I do really like Operation: Mindcrime and Empire. I haven't listened much to the albums after those 2, but I remember reading some negative things. I'm not really sure where to start in picking back up this band. I guess I'll start with this album, despite that cover art. The opening song was pretty cool, the music from 1:47 to 2:48 was actually pretty awesome.

You can basically skip everything after Empire. The first album with Todd La Torre isn't all that special either, though it does have a couple of good songs.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:44 pm 

here's the new video for "Revolution Calling"... err, I mean, "Guardian": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra1TSmmUY90

lacklustre at best :( me hopes it's the album's dud...

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:40 pm 

Hey, that was nice!

Todd sometimes sounds just like Tate did a couple of decades ago.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:14 pm 

Vocals sound great, but the riffs don't really sound "Queensryche" to me... just sounds like standard melodic metal.... not bad but I'm not enthralled
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:16 pm 

It's a hell of a lot better than what Tate's been cooking up, that's for sure.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:18 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
It's a hell of a lot better than what Tate's been cooking up, that's for sure.

Actually the Tateryche song was pretty listenable as well. Will actually be interesting to see how the two albums stack up to one another.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:51 am 

Title sounds suspiciously like 'Frequency Unknown.' Track titles sound like an interesting new direction, though, a bit of an abrupt shift. This is complemented somewhat by their vocalist's attempt to sound like modern Tate all of a sudden, if it is an attempt, which I suppose makes it unlikely to be that much better than the other album.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:43 am 

New QR track

I get a SLIGHT Dream Theater/Old QR feeling from this one.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:45 pm 

Well, Todd LaTorre sounds great, the production is acceptable, and the song had some decent hooks.

But there were, like, three total riffs. Fuck's sake, the sheer laziness of the songwriting is painful - "so, uh, we've got a verse riff, and a chorus riff, and maybe we can put one more at the end of the chorus and then we're good, right?" That was maybe a third of a good song, stretched out into five minutes. Come on.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:37 pm 

The real problem is that none of the riffs are particularly good. I guess the one under the chorus is decent. Overall it's basically just background music - Todd LaTodd sounds great and it's got some hooks but overall? Eh.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:50 pm 

it's decent, but still not the mindblowing album they have promised since the tyrant was unthroned...

that cover is one brush away from getting into the atrocities thread, btw... the seattle tower? the airplane is a diss for degarmo? and is that sadako yamamura in the mirror? bleh.

putrenista
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:02 am 

I think the cover artwork is fine. It's that boring-ass font they used for both the title and their name that bothers me. At the very least they could have used the logo from the last album (see picture below), and then made the album title smaller. Also, that gap in between Condition and Human is kind of jarring as well.

Spoiler: show

But oh well, artwork aside I'm liking the new songs I've heard so far. Zero interest in checking out Tate's new stuff though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:33 am 

Pretty alright songs so far, but nothing really that good. They're all rather repetitive and the choruses are only okay. Todd does sound really good, and the production is nice and modern and sleek. But the songwriting is very bland so far. The guitarwork reminds me of like 2008 or something when a lot of power metal bands started streamlining their sounds. Extremely safe and generic stuff.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:02 am 

I have the impression the guys are trying to please the most fans as possible without taking much risks in the songwriting. The songs all have good moments and nice melodies that show potential but everything (excepting Todd) sounds a bit restrained.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:14 pm 

So it's out. My first impression is that I like this waaay better than the s/t. This has the most metal sounding songs since The Warning. There's some interesting shit going on here. I like it.

Edit: Okay it kinda ran out of steam on the second half but I still like it overall.

Like your reviews?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:22 pm 

It's not an amazing album, by any means, but it's perfectly serviceable. I do really like "Arrow of Time" and "Selfish Lives," though.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:13 pm 

I kind of got the sense that people mostly hyped the self-titled album to stick it to G**ff T*t*.

I predict a lot less public interest this time around, but maybe I'll be wrong.

Lord_Beavereater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:03 pm 

Have listened to this about 3 times.
First 2 listens were half the album at a time, and I was thinking, this is ok but not great.
3rd time I listened to the whole album in one go, and it was a lot more positive experience.
Production is good, Todd is great, and not a Tate clone. A lot of the time, he is doing his own thing vocally with only a few highs being tatesque. I did think that he doesn't have the control of his voice that his predecessor displayed, but it may come in time.
Songwriting is ok, safe and winds between their early sound and the more"radio friendly" style of later years. There is more effort compositionally than on recent albums and some subtle nuances in most songs. However they do not have the depth of songwriting from early years. Overall it is a solid album, may take a few listens to get into for most people but worth the effort. Definitely a damn sight better than anything they have released for a loooooong time, and a lot more fulfilling than Operation:Mindcrime -The Key.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:24 pm 

I've given it two listens so far and I think it's pretty decent. It's a lot slower than I expected but there are a couple great songs on here. I think I might actually like the last one better but I imagine this'll keep growing on me.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:01 pm 

Very safe, standard melodic heavy metal that reminds me of Armored Saint's recent record as far as execution is concerned. Todd sounds phenomenal but the songwriting doesn't pop much for me. "Hellfire" is awesome though, as is "Toxic Remedy." Some enjoyable moments and nothing outright sucks.

So it is 2-0 for Queensryche vs Tateryche

Last.fm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:20 am 

This is actually pretty good. The band even starts to sound more like their old selves later, though the riffs aren't as good as in the 80s. "Selfish Lives," "Eye9," "Hourglass" and the title track all sound really cool.

Reply to topic