Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
vomitoxic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:33 am 

Home of the Wind is the first documentary about Moonsorrow, currently in pre-production.

Directed by: Leo (Jörmungandr Media, The Breathless Sleep) & Abel 'Grilo' do Demo (Unofficial Moonsorrow Biography)

Give them your support:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/homeofthewind
Twitter: https://twitter.com/HomeoftheWind
Instagram: https://instagram.com/homeofthewind/

"Meet The Filmmakers!
HOME OF THE WIND is the title of the first documentary about Moonsorrow, currently in pre-production. Later this year, our team will fly to Helsinki to interview the band members and other related people. The goal is to have the history of the band told by themselves and show all the places relevant in Moonsorrow's 20 years of history. We're working closely with the band, and we're aiming high.
Now you may wonder, who are 'we'?
***Leo Aragón***
Born and raised in Argentina, Leo Aragón has also lived in Valencia, Spain, where he studied Audiovisual Communication and founded the webzine THE BREATHLESS SLEEP in 2011, proving a big dedication to the metal scene. He later moved to London, UK, where he currently lives and works. He's endorsed by the London venue Underworld, where he usually shoots and interviews the bands that play there. A total geek of photography, sound and video, Leo's interests include skateboarding, meditation and neglecting the minimum healthy sleep for editing videos and designing all kinds of stuff.
***Abel "Grilo" do Demo***
Hailing from Galicia, Spain, Grilo is just a guy whose understanding of music radically changed in December 2006, when he first heard an album called “Hävitetty” by a band he had never heard of. He later wrote an unofficial Moonsorrow biography, which received the attention of a few other die-hard fans around the world and led to a closer contact with the band members. Since then, he travelled half of Europe to see Moonsorrow concerts, interviewed the band several times and currently administers the Epic Heathen Forum (http://moonsorrow.freeforums.org/). Grilo has a degree in Translation and Interpreting and his interests include languages, history and deciding what Moonsorrow-related project to start next.
It all started in February 2015, when Grilo travelled to England to see Moonsorrow live in York. On his way there, he spent a few hours in London, where he met Leo, an old friend and webzine colleague, for the first time in person. They went for a few drinks in Camden, and it was in one of those pubs where Leo brought up his big idea. He knew about the biography Grilo had written and wanted to turn it into a film. When Grilo's mind recovered from being blown and was able to talk again, he agreed.
During the following weeks, they/we discussed the details a little further, until we eventually contacted the band, who responded with growing enthusiasm. The following steps were contacting labels, artists and other people to work with us. The snowball had started to grow unstoppably. And it just seems to keep growing.
We have a website in the works, we will also have Facebook and other social network profiles and we will unveil details gradually. For the time being, you can follow this space and join the discussion in the forum: http://moonsorrow.freeforums.org/
STAY TUNED
!"

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:46 am 

This has the potential to either be a really cool insight, or a painfully spanish, dorky affair. I'm hoping the former.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:51 am 

I'm hoping for a painfully Spanish, dorky affair.

BlackHussar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:25 am 

Well... Okay. Wish it was new album, but still something is happening finally. I love this band, last two albums were really really good. Will check it out anyways.

pressingtoplead13 wrote:
Songs like "Meathook Sodomy" and "Addicted To Vaginal Skin" are some of my favorite songs all time to karoake [...]

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:05 am 

Henri mentioned on facebook that the band will be going to the studio for a new album this fall.

As for the documentary - I absolutely love Moonsorrow and they've made some of my all-time favorite albums, but I just don't feel like they've done anything that would engender themselves to a documentary. Their ultra-long songs are certainly a bit idiosyncratic, but there's nothing surrounding them that would lend itself to a detailed outside analysis, like black metal and all its documentaries (and even then, the necessity of some of those is pretty questionable).

That's not a bad thing, mind - It means they're more focused on putting out quality music than fucking around in any kind of scene or outside-music actions.

the_bard_of_osyrhia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:29 am 

I expect this will be centred around the recording of their albums, their studio and such. I always enjoy those kind of documentaries for bands I enjoy so I think this could be pretty good.

I'd definitely rather they do that than try to examine the importance of Moonsorrow to the 'scene' as, as you've mentioned Smoking_Gnu, Moonsorrow are a music-centred band and not one that spends much time dabbling in image-building and such.

http://www.last.fm/user/Argaalofthemyst

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:48 am 

This documentary should be cool. One of the best and most gifted bands around. Verisäkeet is my favorite. Only heard Kivenkantaja few times though, and it's almost as good.

vomitoxic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:52 am 

BlackHussar wrote:
Well... Okay. Wish it was new album, but still something is happening finally. I love this band, last two albums were really really good. Will check it out anyways.

As Smoking_Gnu said: They are going to the studio later on this year and Moonsorrow as a band is focusing on making a new record.
This documentary is made by two fellows who are going to do interviews with the band and go through the history of Moonsorrow while visiting various places which have left their marks on Moonsorrow.

the_bard_of_osyrhia wrote:
I expect this will be centred around the recording of their albums, their studio and such. I always enjoy those kind of documentaries for bands I enjoy so I think this could be pretty good.

I'd definitely rather they do that than try to examine the importance of Moonsorrow to the 'scene' as, as you've mentioned Smoking_Gnu, Moonsorrow are a music-centred band and not one that spends much time dabbling in image-building and such.

As I have undestood. This documentary will cover these both areas. Probably will have some footage from the studio while making the new album even.

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Henri mentioned on facebook that the band will be going to the studio for a new album this fall.

As for the documentary - I absolutely love Moonsorrow and they've made some of my all-time favorite albums, but I just don't feel like they've done anything that would engender themselves to a documentary. Their ultra-long songs are certainly a bit idiosyncratic, but there's nothing surrounding them that would lend itself to a detailed outside analysis, like black metal and all its documentaries (and even then, the necessity of some of those is pretty questionable).

That's not a bad thing, mind - It means they're more focused on putting out quality music than fucking around in any kind of scene or outside-music actions.

I've shared many hours in vans with Ville and lately with rest of the band also and even though they are really down-to-earth guys, I really think that of Finnish band they deserve this documentary.
Ironic in it's way but in Finland they aren't that big band. Goes also for other folk/pagan/etc bands like Korpiklaani and Finntroll.
In my eyes they have done something on their career as they have grown on every album bigger and bigger.
I believe that there are many folk/pagan/blackish/viking-metal bands that declare Moonsorrow as one of their biggest influences.

And as you said. They are more focused on putting out quality music that fucking around haha!

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:48 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:

As for the documentary - I absolutely love Moonsorrow and they've made some of my all-time favorite albums, but I just don't feel like they've done anything that would engender themselves to a documentary.

Look at Turisas... they had one of the best documentaries (IN MY OPINION) and pretty much just made it out of playing festivals and running around naked :p

TheTrueSeker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:10 pm 

This should be pretty cool. I've always felt like there's a lot going on behind the scenes when it comes to this band. Henri Sorvali in particular seems like an interesting character.

I feel like Moonsorrow is turning into Summoning, where they have big gaps between albums, but each album that gets released is mind-blowing. I'm still hurting for some new material though.
vomitoxic wrote:
I believe that there are many folk/pagan/blackish/viking-metal bands that declare Moonsorrow as one of their biggest influences.

My ears tell me that this is not the case. I have a hard time stomaching any folk metal that isn't Sorvali-related apart from Nokturnal Mortum, Temnozor, Isengard, or Enslaved. In fact, most folk metal is so bad that it discouraged me from listening to Moonsorrow until a few years ago. Nowadays, they're one of my favorite bands.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:36 am 

TheTrueSeker wrote:
This should be pretty cool. I've always felt like there's a lot going on behind the scenes when it comes to this band. Henri Sorvali in particular seems like an interesting character.

I feel like Moonsorrow is turning into Summoning, where they have big gaps between albums, but each album that gets released is mind-blowing. I'm still hurting for some new material though.
vomitoxic wrote:

My ears tell me that this is not the case. I have a hard time stomaching any folk metal that isn't Sorvali-related apart from Nokturnal Mortum, Temnozor, Isengard, or Enslaved. In fact, most folk metal is so bad that it discouraged me from listening to Moonsorrow until a few years ago. Nowadays, they're one of my favorite bands.

Add Finsterforst to this list, because I think that their albums are cleary influenced by Moonsorrow. And the American band Duskmourn has also a good influence of these Finnish dudes.

I think that the last album wasnt that good so I hope they will offer us something better this time.

And about the documentary, I have one of the guys on my facebook, I dont know him very much but he seems to be very focused on this documentary so I expect a good job.

Reply to topic