Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:42 am 

Turner wrote:
Yep, I was talking about how In Flames started taking their cues from bands like Shadows Fall in the late 00s. Not suggesting In Flames or FF are in any way connected, haha.

I'll still listen to the new album, I always do, but unless it really grabs me I don't think it'll enter regular rotation.

Ups! my mistake! :durr:

Dont kill me but I like albums like Reroute to Remain, perhaps because I dont dislike Korn hahaha.

I think that Dino is too influenced by other modern bands and by what he does with Divine Heresy. He should change his guitar tone.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:41 am 

All good man! I wasn't so much talking about Reroute to Remain as I was Sounds of a Playground Fading - when they made a really weak attempt at playing melodeath again, but it was really thin and overly americanised. Of course, if you also like that album you'll probably disagree there too! ha.

TheLastSucker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:25 pm 

The album's finally there.

It's pretty much standard FF, nothing more nothing less. Although I enjoy the reintroduction of even more electronics than on the last two albums. The very computerized and electric sounding synths (opening song and Anodized) here remind of Obsolete and especially Digimortal which also made use of them. Other than that I wish the clean vocals were a bit higher in the mix, sometimes they just sound awfully low and muffled beneath the instruments. Some choruses also sound a bit bland and did not click immediately, but I hope they'll grow on me.

And everyone who knows FF's discography in and out will notice a lot of similarities with old songs. But that's probably nothing new, although I found it very noticeable here.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:39 am 

It's a remarkable unremarkable album. Not even bad enough to have an opinion on.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:01 am 

TheLastSucker wrote:

It's pretty much standard FF, nothing more nothing less. Although I enjoy the reintroduction of even more electronics than on the last two albums. The very computerized and electric sounding synths (opening song and Anodized) here remind of Obsolete and especially Digimortal which also made use of them. Other than that I wish the clean vocals were a bit higher in the mix, sometimes they just sound awfully low and muffled beneath the instruments. Some choruses also sound a bit bland and did not click immediately, but I hope they'll grow on me.

And everyone who knows FF's discography in and out will notice a lot of similarities with old songs. But that's probably nothing new, although I found it very noticeable here.

Very similar thoughts as well. FF has always lacked variety, but I do like the production.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:47 am 

TheLastSucker wrote:

Thanks!
P.S: Man, WTF are they thinking to release this shit for 15 years old kids?!?

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:56 am 

Listened to it a few times and I must say I love it… The album has an overall epic feel somehow, possibly due to the more electronics/synths. And it's great that (together with the bonus track) there are two ballads in the style of "Timelessness" (Obsolete) and Burton's Ascension of the Watchers project. I, too, wished the clean vocals were mixed better. However there are lots of catchy choruses (a big plus in my world) and I'm just more than happy with it :)

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:06 pm 

Seems Dielectric and ProtoMech were clear highlights as the other tracks aren't clicking, I'll give it a few spins before accurately judging as I feel it's a grower and I was looking for something akin to Digimortal, listening without preconceived album comparisons is important on Genexus because it doesn't accurately fit any past album. Regenerate is the most diverse song on the album in my opinion, sounds like something off Transgression - like Supernova (?), the song is quite upbeat too which is a good change.

Also am I the only one that notices Burton C Bell trying some surprisingly cool harsh vocal techniques throughout?

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:08 pm 

TheLastSucker wrote:

I agree here. "Genexus" reminded me almost exactly of "Corporate Cloning" from Archetype. Try as I might, I couldn't divorce the two, even though there are obvious differences, but I agree that throwbacks to earlier songs are more overt.

After hearing the album once through, I still believe Mechanize is the best of their comeback stuff, but Genexus is still better than The Industrialist. I was hoping for a more aggressive album, but got the opposite, and yet I'm not disappointed. I really like "Expiration Date," and think it's their best melodic closer since "A Therapy For Pain."

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:07 am 

I have only listened to two more songs but the initial song is incredible. The key/electronic arrangements sounds a little bit weird but we will see. I will wait until I purchase the album.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:56 am 

Giving the album its first listen, on the first track, and.... fuck yeah. If the rest of the album is up to this standard then fucking SWEET!

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:27 am 

grauer_mausling wrote:
Listened to it a few times and I must say I love it… The album has an overall epic feel somehow, possibly due to the more electronics/synths. And it's great that (together with the bonus track) there are two ballads in the style of "Timelessness" (Obsolete) and Burton's Ascension of the Watchers project. I, too, wished the clean vocals were mixed better. However there are lots of catchy choruses (a big plus in my world) and I'm just more than happy with it :)

I pretty much agree with you grauer. I am enjoying the album alot more than I thought I would. It combines everything I enjoy about their music and does remind me moreso of their older material. I must say I always had a soft spot for their ballad type material and the album closer is a great piece once again. Digipack has been ordered.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:09 am 

Turner wrote:
I love me some classic FF but I don't think I have room in my life for new music from them. This latest song is ok... it's not bad but it's just more of the same - trying desperately to reach Demanufacture-like heights (presumably for a "6 and out" swansong), but falling painfully short. Meanwhile, they're looking to younger bands that were influenced by them for inspiration, and that shit NEVER ends well (see: In Flames).

Ok allow me to pull my foot out of my mouth for a second and say that despite the drivel I wrote above, after three listens through tonight, I'm pretty sure it's their best album (imo) since Obsolete. Maybe even a bit better than that, although I don't want to be too hasty. The album is a fucking beast. And Regenerate is the FF song I've been waiting for for a loooong time.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:51 am 

The album is a beast! I literally enjoy every song on it. Excellent production and to agree with someone above, it does have an epic feel to it. I've been able to listen to it about a dozen times now and it is by far my favorite FF album. Prior to this one, Mechanize was my favorite. FF did it right this time.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:19 pm 

Heh Turner you hit the nail on the head right there. Regenerate and tracks like Anodized, Expiration Date, Enhanced Reality, Genuexus all stand out (actually all the tracks do these are just my favourites so far). It really is their best since Obsolete. I am super happy with this album and that FF was able to pull this off.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:34 pm 

I've listened to the whole thing twice now and safe to say this is a great improvement over The Industrialist. All the tracks are really good in their own right but I also really appreciate Genexus as an album. And "Human Augmentation" is a great finisher, just breathtaking.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:21 am 

Man, I love the album. But the biggest surprise comes from the second half of the album, which is usually the weakest one. But in this album the second half of the album album and the most melodic songs are a nice surpise. Church of execution is brilliant, Regenerate and Battle of Utopia are awesome as well, and even the long final song, Expiration date, is not boring and it has a nice melody. But another highlight comes with the digipack´s bonus track called Expiration date, which is an beautiful atmospheric ballad which reminds me Tilmelesness, what an ending!

The first 3 tracks are the brutal dose I always need on a FF album, I should remark that the clean choruses are excellent. Burton is the star, once again.

On the other hand, I would say that Genexus is the weakest track, which is unusual because the title tracks are usually great. Its not a bad song but it lacks something.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:54 am 

Its me or Regeneration could have been included in Trangression? surprisingly melodic song but good.

SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:00 am 

Been a FF fan for 20 years now, and sadly....I don't like this new one. "Anodized" is downright annoying, and a lot of the tunes seem almost...upbeat and "happy" for FF. "Soul Hacker" so far seems to be the only decent song on here. The Industrialist and definitely Mechanize were better....not to mention the classic albums and Archetype. Hell, I even liked Transgression...but this new one isn't doing it for me. To be fair, I've only jammed it twice so far. Going to give it a couple more tries and if nothing jumps out at me, that will be all she wrote for this one. FF's always been hot or cold, but never THIS cold.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:06 pm 

Paganbasque wrote:
Man, I love the album. But the biggest surprise comes from the second half of the album, which is usually the weakest one. But in this album the second half of the album album and the most melodic songs are a nice surpise. Church of execution is brilliant, Regenerate and Battle of Utopia are awesome as well, and even the long final song, Expiration date, is not boring and it has a nice melody. But another highlight comes with the digipack´s bonus track called Expiration date, which is an beautiful atmospheric ballad which reminds me Tilmelesness, what an ending!

The first 3 tracks are the brutal dose I always need on a FF album, I should remark that the clean choruses are excellent. Burton is the star, once again.

On the other hand, I would say that Genexus is the weakest track, which is unusual because the title tracks are usually great. Its not a bad song but it lacks something.

Quite close to what I'm thinking about the album. :beer: I, too, find the title track to be the weakest (but not bad at all!) track, the others are just superior. Even "Soul Hacker", which I find a bit bland, grew on me. But all the other songs are damn great; each album spin I have a new fave song ("Church…" at the moment) and I love the nearly upbeat/happy songs. As mentioned often I've always been a fan of the more mellow/melodic FF stuff. If Genexus (song) and Soul Hacker would be replaced with Resurrection and Descent it would be the most perfect album ;)

TheLastSucker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:24 pm 

SHUTUPANDDIE wrote:
and a lot of the tunes seem almost...upbeat and "happy" for FF.

Definitely agree with this. The album feels really imbalanced regarding the choruses. Nearly every one is way too happy and joyful sounding which is not inherently bad of course, however, as already mentioned the balance is not there. Even the usually criticized Transgression was more balanced in that regard with songs like 540,000° Fahrenheit, Contagion and Empty Vision having anything but happy choruses. Obviously the more happy and upbeat songs on that album were Supernova, I Will Follow and maybe even New Promise with its empowering lyrics. Nonetheless the balance between happy and more clinical choruses was kept, which Genexus almost entirely breaks away from.

This wouldn't irk me so much if the Burton's cleans were mixed better. They just sound obnoxiously buried beneath everything else most of the time.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:51 pm 

TheLastSucker wrote:
SHUTUPANDDIE wrote:

Definitely agree with this. The album feels really imbalanced regarding the choruses. Nearly every one is way too happy and joyful sounding which is not inherently bad of course, however, as already mentioned the balance is not there. Even the usually criticized Transgression was more balanced in that regard with songs like 540,000° Fahrenheit, Contagion and Empty Vision having anything but happy choruses. Obviously the more happy and upbeat songs on that album were Supernova, I Will Follow and maybe even New Promise with its empowering lyrics. Nonetheless the balance between happy and more clinical choruses was kept, which Genexus almost entirely breaks away from.

This wouldn't irk me so much if the Burton's cleans were mixed better. They just sound obnoxiously buried beneath everything else most of the time.

I don't know what you're listening to this album on but I've had it in my car nonstop since I got it and his vocals are perfectly mixed, they are not buried at all. I also don't find the choruses happy, incredibly infectious and catchy yes. Honestly cannot understand this critique at all.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:17 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
Its me or Regeneration could have been included in Trangression? surprisingly melodic song but good.
No I said it above. It's sounds sort of similar to Supernova in my opinion.

I think it's a varied Fear Factory album and that's when they do it best.

cultofkraken wrote:
I also don't find the choruses happy, incredibly infectious and catchy yes. Honestly cannot understand this critique at all.
Same here. I don't get the happy choruses critique and honestly it sounds like a very half arsed complaint. Also 'Soul Hacker' as the best song?! Um, I was literally one of the only people in this thread who enjoyed it but in no way would I consider it great or album defining.

SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:02 pm 

Again - to be fair, I'd only jammed it twice. Going to give it some more spins after work and see what floats and sinks. By then maybe I can clarify on my "half assed complaint," lol.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:23 pm 

TheLastSucker wrote:
SHUTUPANDDIE wrote:

SHUTUPANDDIE wrote:
Been a FF fan for 20 years now, and sadly....I don't like this new one. "Anodized" is downright annoying, and a lot of the tunes seem almost...upbeat and "happy" for FF. "Soul Hacker" so far seems to be the only decent song on here. The Industrialist and definitely Mechanize were better....not to mention the classic albums and Archetype. Hell, I even liked Transgression...but this new one isn't doing it for me. To be fair, I've only jammed it twice so far. Going to give it a couple more tries and if nothing jumps out at me, that will be all she wrote for this one. FF's always been hot or cold, but never THIS cold.

I do agree about the "too happy" comments.
Like I said, it seems like "music for teenagers".
P.S: Anyway, Fear Factory has been a joke for me LONG ago.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:20 pm 

Man, this album is great. I really enjoyed it. "Expiration Date" is a fucking massive song from top to bottom, reminds me of an Archetype jam (back when they were embracing their melodic side).

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:20 pm 

I bet you were expecting Big God/Raped Souls and were totally blown away with what is this 'non-Concrete/SOANM' album? If Fear Factory is a joke to you; jump on to this underground website called Blabbermouth and sling your 10 word juvenile remarks there for a truly like-minded enlightening discussion, maybe don't contribute to this thread because your opinion is unfair, unjustifiably negative and not constructive in any way shape or form. I don't hop on to Iron Maiden's new album thread and say they're a joke and the music is "too singy" (in relation to your ridiculous "too happy" remark), where's Paul Di'Anno and Terry Wapram?!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:43 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
I bet you were expecting Big God/Raped Souls and were totally blown away with what is this 'non-Concrete/SOANM' album? If Fear Factory is a joke to you; jump on to this underground website called Blabbermouth and sling your 10 word juvenile remarks there for a truly like-minded enlightening discussion, maybe don't contribute to this thread because your opinion is unfair, unjustifiably negative and not constructive in any way shape or form. I don't hop on to Iron Maiden's new album thread and say they're a joke and the music is "too singy" (in relation to your ridiculous "too happy" remark), where's Paul Di'Anno and Terry Wapram?!

Jesus hahaha
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:59 pm 

Wth? Yeah...ONLY POSITIVE, SUPPORTIVE REMARKS OR GTFO YOU POSERS!!!! Too funny.

Anyways, I've given this some more listening time - and while the album is not as terrible as I initially thought, it's still flat in comparison to pretty much all of their other albums. "Expiration Date," "Battle for Utopia," and "Anodized" are still....just bad. The vocal melodies for so many of these choruses still sound (and please keep this in mind - RELATIVELY) happy, upbeat, and dumbed down. Poppy, flaky, choose your adjective....it's just not for me and it doesn't carry the true spirit of FF to my ears. ED sounds like the crappier reflections of their 80's pop influence (the better of that, imo, being the U2 cover from Transgression). I was wrong about "Soul Hacker," that song rings of filler. That remix towards the end....unnecessary, but it's their thing so I can't spot them on that. I've personally had enough remixes from this band to last 5 lifetimes, but I respect an artist's need to express themselves how they feel they need to.

The up points to the album - I do enjoy "Protomech" and "ACS" (in spite of that spoken word intro....didn't we have the exact same thing on The Industrialist?). Also, on a lot of the songs (even some of the ones I dislike) there's a huge Demanufacture presence on here. I suppose one could make the argument that it's recycled riffs and vibe....but I can still enjoy it. "Enhanced Reality" is sort of the opposite of ED for me in terms of working within their more 80's pop worship spectrum. I do enjoy this tune, oddly, and will offer absolutely zero valid reason why. It just clicks with me...shit, sometimes it works like that.

All in all, the album is not the worst thing they've ever done (those remix albums were, obviously), but it's barely above that for me. I can enjoy certain aspects of this record for the occasional listen, but it definitely won't be the first thing I reach for.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:57 am 

SHUTUPANDDIE wrote:
Wth? Yeah...ONLY POSITIVE, SUPPORTIVE REMARKS OR GTFO YOU POSERS!!!!

Yeah that's totally what I meant :roll:

Going from Soul Hacker 'best song of the album' to 'rings of filler' in the span of two days!!!! Too funny.

Last edited by volutetheswarth on Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:06 am 

The album is, EVEN for Fear Factory standards, bad.

:wanker:

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:08 am 

:wanker: - Accurate description of BasqueStorm
I do enjoy that tired and pointless argument of recycled riffs/vibe because anyone who makes that must hate thrash/doom/grindcore (the list goes on) :lol:

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:45 am 

I'm really enjoying the new album. I liked the last two, but I think this is probably better. Could be the best since Obsolete.

SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:21 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
SHUTUPANDDIE wrote:
Wth? Yeah...ONLY POSITIVE, SUPPORTIVE REMARKS OR GTFO YOU POSERS!!!!

Yeah that's totally what I meant :roll:

Going from Soul Hacker 'best song of the album' to 'rings of filler' in the span of two days!!!! Too funny.

Dude, relax man. You seem to take things a wee bit seriously - it's music, not the future of the world. And yeah - within two days one can, actually, glean a better grasp of a piece of music than they had after (again) two spins.

Enjoy the album and quite gettin' all Portal-fanish on me. Cheers.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:41 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
The album is, EVEN for Fear Factory standards, bad.

:wanker:

So if you dont like tha band I can undestand why do you hate this album.

Not better than Archetype but it has been a great surprise. Surprinsigly the bonus track Enhanced reality could become my favourite track. Man, this is funny. :D

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4