* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:54 am 

http://www.terrorizer.com/news/shape-of ... ny-fields/

The pre-order is also available. :D

Last edited by Paganbasque on Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlackHussar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:08 pm 

Insane! That was a cinematic experience. I've been waiting for this album for long time, and finnaly it arrives. 11 years since Illusion's Play. I'm speechless. Beauty beyond words. Preorder for sure.

pressingtoplead13 wrote:
Songs like "Meathook Sodomy" and "Addicted To Vaginal Skin" are some of my favorite songs all time to karoake [...]

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:48 pm 

If someone had told me back in 2004 that it would be 11 years until these guys put out a follow-up album I never would have believed it. Still, better late than never!

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:01 pm 

Has there been any statements on their hiatus? I'm curious why it's taken them 11 years to release a new full-length. Their songwriting process has been as slow as their music.

BlackHussar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:38 am 

Jarno wrote:
But yes, we had quite long period basically doing nothing...but we were present even we weren’t. There were a lot of personal issues, health problems, a lot of problems finding proper rehearsal places and I guess most of all time just went way too fast ahead. But I think it’s good that it went fast, since if we would have started to record our new album earlier, it wouldn’t have been as magnificent as it’s now with the proper line-up we have. I must admit that I’ve been waiting for this album quite long to be finished.

And by the way; Henri did pretty good job on vocals. I'm curious about how his clean vocals will look when harmonizing with Natalie.

Tracklist have been revealed:
Spoiler: show
Reaching The Innermost
Monotony Fields
Descending Inner Night
The Distant Dream Of Life
Withdrawn
In Longing
The Blank Journey
Written In My Scars

Perhaps they changed the title?

pressingtoplead13 wrote:
Songs like "Meathook Sodomy" and "Addicted To Vaginal Skin" are some of my favorite songs all time to karoake [...]

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:27 am 

BlackHussar wrote:
Insane! That was a cinematic experience. I've been waiting for this album for long time, and finnaly it arrives. 11 years since Illusion's Play. I'm speechless. Beauty beyond words. Preorder for sure.

+1!! I listened to it no less than five times. Awesome track!! SOF is my favourite funeral doom metal band and I so happy to see that they continue to be an unique band. :hyper:

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:33 pm 

That song was cool. I'm not big into funeral doom but when it's this death metal influenced I can get behind it. I haven't listened to Shape of Despair in years and I guess I assumed they'd split up because of their hiatus. Does anyone know when exactly and why Pasi Koskinen left? He doesn't seem very active nowadays in general. Their new singer sounds good, though.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:20 pm 

It sounds pretty impressive, but I liked Written in my Scars even better. That was absolutely fantastic stuff for early morning teary-eyed drunken stupor.

KinskiTemper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:09 am 

Loved it. Well worth the wait, if you ask me...sounds like it's going to measure up to their other ones.

BlackHussar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:06 am 

@Razakel
Quote:
Shape of despair have parted ways with the vocalist Pasi Koskinen.Main reason
is Pasi's contribution to his own band Ajattara which takes most of his time.

We wish him the best for his future works and thank for the work we've done altogether.

(taken from their facebook page)

pressingtoplead13 wrote:

PureNegativism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:51 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
It sounds pretty impressive, but I liked Written in my Scars even better.

Yes. I can't deny this new track, but I can't help but miss the prevalence of lead guitar melodies that carried the '...Scars' EP, and made for some of the most engaging listening I've experienced with them. Given that the title track from the EP is the closer of the album maybe we can expect more in that style, either way I'm eager to hear more.

Meditari
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:39 am 

This came out of nowhere for me! I'm listening to the song right now, and it's alright so far. On one hand it's really awesome to hear something new from the band, on the other hand the song isn't particularly blowing me away at the moment. It isn't bad, though. That melody at around 3:40 is pretty cool.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:19 am 

Quite late to this party but "Monotony Fields" sounds amazing. Super thrilled that Shape of despair have (finally!) come up with some new material that'll hopefully be on a similar level to Angels of Distress - one of my favourite funeral doom albums ever. Keen to hear the rest of it.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

BlackHussar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:32 pm 

Shape of Despair wrote:
We have played this song under its working title 'Unresolved' only in the Ukraine and Russia so far. To complement the existing live recordings, we are now presenting the album version 'Descending Inner Night'. This was the second track that emerged for the new album and combines both the old and new elements of Shape of Despair.

As I expected. Here's the track. Sounds marvelous. Love the harmonies of Henri and Natalie. This album will be great!

pressingtoplead13 wrote:

BlackHussar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:34 am 

Shape of Despair wrote:
Here you are, 3rd song from our coming album Monotony fields. Originally this song was intended to serve as an intro to 'Monotony Fields'. Even though the start quite resembles something that our mates from RAPTURE could have put out, we felt it necessary to end this in a proper SHAPE OF DESPAIR way and slowed the pace down, while injecting a dose of hopelessness. To bring out a slightly different side of 'Monotony Fields', we present to you the shortest and possibly catchiest track of our new album.

Listen to the track here.

The description is really accurate. What do you guys think?

Also no one responded to the song posted above. :(

pressingtoplead13 wrote:

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:31 am 

I have listened to all three tracks they've presented and all of them have been of the utmost quality. Good to hear that after 11 years they are still at the top of their game. I thought the addition of cleans would be a deficit, but I was wrong. Great tracks and I'm itching to hear the other five when I get the album. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:49 pm 

This sounds REALLY FUCKING awesome.

About damn time Shape of Despair puts out a new album. Illusion's Play is one of the albums that got me hooked on funeral doom.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:13 am 

The full album can be listened here:

http://www.metalstorm.net/events/news_c ... s_id=26712

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:31 am 

Wow what a great album. Well worth the wait!

The only thing I wish is that they also re-recorded "The Bliss of Sudden Loss" from the Written in My Scars EP. Perhaps they did and it just didn't fit the album?

Bryagh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:22 pm 

I heard one of the tracks yesterday and it blew my mind! Can't wait to hear the whole thing. Amazing talent here!

Meditari
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:56 am 

I have to admit that I did not have high expectations for this album, but holy shit it's great!

I don't know why, but I'm always extra-excited when we get a great funeral doom release nowadays.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:56 am 

Got the album today and just listened to the whole thing. Very impressive stuff from this band. Easily surpasses Illusion's Play and the addition of cleans and synths bring a funereal dirge to the whole thing. It will need another listen or two to sink in but it's a keeper.

One thing I will probably dislike in time is that, despite the track lengths, some of the parts could've used a little more repetition (ending to "The Blank Journey," for example) to really drill in the gloom, but hopefully it won't be too detrimental.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:36 am 

Monotony Fields. Makes one stop and think for a moment, doesn't it?

Didn't like it one bit I have to say. Apart from some ethereal leads, this is purely ambient metal, in the sense that the atmosphere invoked is an overwhelmingly dominant strategy. Obviously.
I'd probably like it more if they spiced it up with some DM passages and varied tempos and rhythms.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:50 am 

Red_Death wrote:
Monotony Fields. Makes one stop and think for a moment, doesn't it?

Didn't like it one bit I have to say. Apart from some ethereal leads, this is purely ambient metal, in the sense that the atmosphere invoked is an overwhelmingly dominant strategy. Obviously.
I'd probably like it more if they spiced it up with some DM passages and varied tempos and rhythms.

Man, you are complaining about the two main characteristics of Shape of Despair and Funeral doom in general. SOF has been an absolutely atmospheric band even since their debut. And Funeral doom is repetitive as fuck.

But sometimes I feel the same with other bands who probably could be better adding a little bit of variety to their compositions. But I am happy with what Shape usually does and what I have listened to so far. (only three songs)

Lets see if I can dig the clean vocals.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:42 pm 

Paganbasque wrote:
Man, you are complaining about the two main characteristics of Shape of Despair and Funeral doom in general. SOF has been an absolutely atmospheric band even since their debut. And Funeral doom is repetitive as fuck.
Yes, you're absolutely right, and I should have made it clear that most of the time I've got a problem with almost any funeral doom (one curious exception is Faal, though I never tried to understand how come I enjoy their The Clouds Are Burning much more than any other funeral doom record). It's mood music, in the sense that even the slightest "mood factor" being off can ruin the experience for me.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:36 pm 

Paganbasque wrote:
Lets see if I can dig the clean vocals.

They are surprisingly great! I was apprehensive initially, but it was unfounded. Great use of cleans, and done sparingly enough to not out-welcome their stay.

I miss the violins from their earlier stuff, but Monotony Fields is an excellent return from these guys.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:29 am 

Red_Death wrote:
Paganbasque wrote:
Yes, you're absolutely right, and I should have made it clear that most of the time I've got a problem with almost any funeral doom (one curious exception is Faal, though I never tried to understand how come I enjoy their The Clouds Are Burning much more than any other funeral doom record). It's mood music, in the sense that even the slightest "mood factor" being off can ruin the experience for me.

Absolutely, its 100% "mood" music. I only listen to funeral doom from time to time and only a few bands(Shape of despair, Ahab, Remembrance, Colosseum and a few more).

I have never listened to Faal, do they have keys? because I need some keys to enjoy funeral doom.

Samoroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:51 am 

Yes Faal has keys, but they guitar is much, much more dominant than in Shape of Despair's case. Also the music has some black metal outbursts with a post-rocky atmospheric tinge. Just listen to it.

BlackHussar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:26 am 

Still waiting for my copy... I think I'll listen to it after examination session. What are your highlights?

pressingtoplead13 wrote:

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:43 am 

After a few listens to Monotony Fields, I am liking it more and more. "Descending Inner Night" is my favourite track, but the others are not far behind, and I really like the use of the female vocals and the occasional cleans throughout. Might be early to say, but this could be top 3 of 2015.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:50 am 

MikeyC wrote:
"Descending Inner Night" is my favourite track

That song is amazing and stands head and shoulders above the rest. Good comeback overall but I don't think I will play it a lot aside from Descending Inner Night.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:05 am 

Doomsday wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
"Descending Inner Night" is my favourite track

That song is amazing and stands head and shoulders above the rest. Good comeback overall but I don't think I will play it a lot aside from Descending Inner Night.

It definitely is a hell of a song, I agree, but the whole album oozes quality. Glad that they came back and this album will get many spins. The 74 minutes flies by.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

c210344
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:21 am 

MikeyC wrote:
After a few listens to Monotony Fields, I am liking it more and more. "Descending Inner Night" is my favourite track, but the others are not far behind, and I really like the use of the female vocals and the occasional cleans throughout. Might be early to say, but this could be top 3 of 2015.

Definitely in my top 3 (currently this, Arcturus & Gruesome but Amorphis will hopefully bump out Gruesome).

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:09 am 

After a couple of listens I can only say this is an awesome return. Its encouraging to see that some bands can make a glorious return after such a long time.

Monotony Fields is clearly my favourite track but the rest are great too. I need time to choose my other top songs.

Reply to topic