Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:17 am 

A new album 'Aria Of Vernal Tombs' is something I did not expect to see from these guys, to be honest I thought they would dissappear into obscurity, but it is happening and due for release on the 20th of May through 20 Buck Spin. For those unfamilar with the band I recommend you take a listen to their debut, a unique brand and style of extreme medieval metal. The tracks capture the feel and atmopshere of medieval castles and the likes quite impressively in their own unique style. The debut at the time was well received and I hope this album continues where the predecessor left off.

http://www.20buckspinshop.com/blogs/new ... nnoucement

Debut -

https://bindrunerecordings.bandcamp.com ... ume-of-eos

Last edited by STORMM on Fri May 15, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the_bard_of_osyrhia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:19 pm 

This is exciting news, indeed! There's been nothing quite like their first album released since. Black metal bands with the medieval harp as a main and integral instrument are few and far between I suppose.

http://www.last.fm/user/Argaalofthemyst

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:20 pm 

Woo hoo! That's great unexpected news.
I'm a huge fan of the debut, so hopefully they won't disappoint.
My favorite track is the instrumental Cabin Lights

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:13 pm 

Listening to the debut now. Good stuff!

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:17 am 

Great news. I own the debut myself. Great seamless mix of black and......other genres of metal. There is some melodic death metal in there, some doom influences, some folk. Really if there is any band that deserves the tag "dark metal" it's this band. I'm looking forward to it.

ghroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:24 pm 

I've had the good fortune of hearing this record (albeit in demo form). It completely expands and improves on Suspended..., which was already one of my favorite albums ever. The addition of the harp completely makes the album.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:59 am 

Their album was one of the best surprises of 2011. I always loved how much energy they could get into their riffs and songwriting with a really masterful and fresh take on the medieval style.
All of the acoustic songs feel right at home as well. Hope they pushed the sound of the Suspended into some new territory, can't wait!

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:07 pm 

Thanks for recommending this, STORMM. I'd forgotten to check back over this band after sort of skimming past the debut years ago. Sounds really good, and so wildly different from Celestiial. Must've taken the harp talents showcased on Desolate North and expanded upon them for the new Obsequiae album. Interesting, must investigate further.

Headless420
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:01 pm 

One of my favorites from 2011. This band is too good!

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:10 pm 

Two new tracks from the upcoming album are streaming here:
http://www.nocleansinging.com/2015/03/1 ... mnal-pyre/

The first song is an instrumental intro (not unlike the instrumentals on 'Suspended..'). The second song sounds like a great return, this should be a fantastic album.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:47 pm 

I'm checking out the debut now, and this is excellent stuff. Reminds me a bit of StarGazer, actually. I'll definitely be looking forward to the new release.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:52 am 

Neat. I'm currently listening to the debut at the moment and this rules. I'm getting Forefather vibes (minus the clean vocals) from them. I'll surely check out the new album too.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 5:18 pm 

20 Buck Spin have released the album today. Listening to it at present and so far really digging it. The band certainly have not strayed to far from their roots over all these years. Production and sound wise is a notable improvment over the debut and now the inclusion of a harp only helps strengthen their medieval sound to the max. These guys conjour that medieval atmosphere like other, without the use of keyboards so to speak, all created with wonderful guitar melodies, quite an achievement in my opinion. If you enjoyed the debut this will most certainly be a release you want to purchase. I can see it making a few end of year lists....

Reply to topic