Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:53 pm 

I'm sitting and enjoying this album tonight and thought it would be cool to discuss this classic, influential record. I've never heard much of Rotting Christ's output prior to this LP debut but I've heard plenty of their subsequent material and feel that RC really captured something singular and magical on this release. The patent Rotting Christ sound is nearly fully formed here - staccato melodic riffs intertwined with sinister, melodic leads and vicious vocals. Such a raw album, production-wise, but it almost lends to the infernal atmosphere. This is probably some of the slowest material Rotting Christ have ever recorded but it is also some of the most majestic and atmospheric, which says a lot considering the band's catalogue is filled with high quality material.

This is also one of a handful of albums that actually sounds and feels evil to me. I've felt surges of darkness when listening to this album. Drafts of cool air, shadows dislodging from still corners. The melodies squeezed out of the twin guitars here are keys unlocking gates in Hell. I still remember the cold chill I felt when I found this album at the record shop, that gloomy and disturbing artwork calling my name.

It was recently said in the October Rust appreciation thread that Type O are a band who fully developed their own unique style out of various influences and crafted it into something that would became hugely influential. I think the same can be said for Rotting Christ - nothing before or since them has sounded quote like RC, especially on this classic cult recording. The Greek sound they pioneered never sounds as good as when these guys do it.

In my opinion, this albums holds up with any first or second wave black metal albums. Even De Mysteriis doesn't compete with this for me. Favorite tracks are Fgmenth, Thy Gift, His Sleeping Majesty and Exiled Archangels - but every song slays.

Let's discuss this unholy slab of metallic majesty.

Unaerth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:35 am 

Absolutely bad-ass. This album, and much of early RC has always been quite special to me. I grew up with it.
Regardless of time or place, whenever it is on, it always grabs my attention ... fully.
It is interesting that you say it feels 'evil' to you. I have never felt that way. For me, it has always exuded intelligent defiance, triumph, arcane wisdom, and fortified inner strength. I know many might scoff, but on a purely personal level, I will fully agree that it stands taller when stacked up against other well-recognized albums like DMDS etc.
Classic RC ... tremelos, like lightning in my veins ... forever.
A very special band, and one of the top dogs of an incredible national movement.
While RC were the masters, I have a ton of respect and admiration for other 'early' Greek hordes too (Necromantia, Tatir, Varathon, Deviser, Kawir, Agatus, Zemial, and especially the terribly overlooked and underrated Zephyrous, etc).

ThrashingTheRedemer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:45 am 

Coronation of the Serpent might contain the most perfectly formed BM riffs ever crafted. Just one highlight off of an all-time classic album.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:15 am 

Top 5 black metal album for me and the best one from Hellas. Ancient Pride, Non Serviam and His Majesty at the Swamp follow closely. The last song is my eternal favorite.

SoundsofDecay
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:46 am 

This is easily the best Rotting Christ album. They just got everything right. Some of the later ones like Triarchy are really good, but missing the raw energy of Thy Mighty Contract. Exiled Archangels is one of the greatest things ever and basically sums up the entire album to me. Furiously passionate riffing with a melancholy edge, stupidly catchy without being in the slightest bit lame or pandering to concepts of "easy listening". Production suits it perfectly too. Albums like Non Serviam and Triarchy (my 2nd favourite RC album), while also really really good, are missing that raw edge that makes TMC that extra bit more powerful.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:40 am 

It's one of those rare albums that sound timeless. TMC could have been recorded and released yesterday with updated production and people would still shit. The atmosphere is so singular.

And Fgmenth, Thy Gift doesn't sound like Seek and Destroy! Way more sinister, ugly, plodding and way heavier.

Chutunaut
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:40 pm 

This is one of this albums that the bonus tracks from re-release really worth it. "Visions of the dead Lover" and "The Mystical Meeting" are my favs and, in my opinion, are the best tracks from this excellent album. I can´t conceive this album without these two tracks.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:24 pm 

Its a real good one. I wish more bands played black metal with significant 80's heavy/power metal influence. I think i am trying with my band though lol.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:54 pm 

It just sounds like all the best aspects of the first wave bands. MF melodic sensibility, intensity of Venom, black atmosphere of Hellhammer. A great witches brew of the most unholy music.

Unholier Master
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:33 pm 

Amazing album. "Transform All Suffering Into Plagues" is my favorite RC track. That solemn opening riff is magical.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:01 am 

This album was my introduction to the hellenic black metal scene and thus holds a special place in my heart. A lot of what makes my music tastes the way they are was spawned from listening to it.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:00 pm 

Yeah, it's a magical album for sure. Was one of the first albums I listened to way back in early 2009 when I started to delve the depths of black metal. Somehow it never made itself a regular listen of mine, however. And I'd say "Fgmenth, Thy Gift" is my favorite song too. Those goddamn riffs. Especially at 1:38 with the whispered vocals. Goosebump inducing shit.

Reply to topic