Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:13 pm 

I just saw this announced on the band's Facebook page, and it looks really cool. They're releasing their first three albums, the 'Vargnatt' demo, and a rehearsal recording of some 'Nattens Madrigal' songs on both CD and vinyl. If I had any money to spare for this set, I'd spring for the vinyl version, just for the poster and LP-sized 32-page booklet that it includes. You can read the full article about it at the following link:

http://bravewords.com/news/ulver-trolsk ... s-revealed

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:06 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
I just saw this announced on the band's Facebook page, and it looks really cool. They're releasing their first three albums, the 'Vargnatt' demo, and a rehearsal recording of some 'Nattens Madrigal' songs on both CD and vinyl. If I had any money to spare for this set, I'd spring for the vinyl version, just for the poster and LP-sized 32-page booklet that it includes. You can read the full article about it at the following link:
http://bravewords.com/news/ulver-trolsk ... s-revealed

Thanks!

http://bravewords.com/news/ulver-trolsk-sortmetall-1993-1997-box-set-details-revealed

Quote:
With the exception of Nattens Madrigal, which is still the ferocious beast it always was - but now with a slightly more compassionate re-mastering courtesy of Tom Kvålsvoll at Strype Audio, Oslo - all the material has been considerately remastered to analog tape by Jaime Gomes Arellano in Orgone Studios, London, and consulted by Ulver’s mastermind Kristoffer Rygg. The test pressings have been wholeheartedly approved by all involved and we here at Century Media think they sound amazing.

Trolsk Sortmetall 1993-1997 comes as a brazen 5CD box set with a canvas-bound slipcase and 100+ page booklet as well as a 4LP box (plus rehearsal tape). The layout has been done by Metastazis, Paris, who has previously worked with Ulver and has for this project been given access to lots of never before seen archival material.

Quote:
Contents of the CD box:

Hardcover 5CD box with 16-page booklet

CD 1: Vargnatt
CD 2: Bergtatt - Et Eeventyr i 5 Capitler
CD 3: Kveldssanger
CD 4: Nattens Madrigal - Aatte Hymne til Ulven i Manden
CD 5: Nattens Madrigal - 4 track rehearsal, summer 1995

Hardcover book with 104 pages of unpublished photos and paraphernalia, original Norwegian lyrics, presentations and their English translations, comments by the band as well as liner notes by Jon ‘Metalion’ Kristiansen (founder of Head Not Found Records and the man behind Slayer Mag), Chris Bruni (Profound Lore Records), Michael Moynihan (author of Lords of Chaos) and Mark Pilkington (Strange Attractor Press).

The 5CD box will be limited to 3,000 copies worldwide.

Contents of the LP box:

LP I: Vargnatt
LP II: Bergtatt - Et Eeventyr i 5 Capitler
LP III: Kveldssanger
LP IV: Nattens Madrigal - Aatte Hymne til Ulven i Manden
MC: 4 track rehearsal, summer 1995
Poster (size 60 x 30 cm)
32-page booklet in LP size (carrying same content as the CD box booklets)

The LP box is limited to 2,000 copies worldwide and the pressings will be broken down as follows:

· 1500 copies on black vinyl
· 400 copies on silver vinyl
· 100 copies on clear vinyl (including a limited art print only available in this version - more information on this shortly)

The clear vinyl version will be exclusively offered by CM Distro EU and US. Only one copy per customer will be sold. The pre-sales start on November 20th.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:34 am 

Will be getting this! I got Bergtatt and Kveldssanger on CDs, but that box set looks neat, and I want Vargnatt and Nattens Madrigal! Also, Transilvanian Hunger with commentary by Fenriz is on the way late this year (November).

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:44 am 

I feel compelled to inform that "trolsk" doesn't translate to "trollish". It's a word used to describe the mood of a scenic nature view, often at dawn, often by a lake. The meaning would be something like magical/mystical/enchanted, like so:

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:56 am 

^ Good picture to illustrate the meaning, and I think "enchanted" is a very good word for it, but I don't think "trollish" is completely off the mark, though. The picture they used for the cover actually has a troll on it, "Skogtroll" ("Forest Troll") by Theodor Kittelsen, and Bergtatt certainly has a trollish element, especially with the dark creatures that capture the young lady. EDIT: So, I agree and appreciate your explanation that "trolsk" is about the mood and scenery, but I just wanted to add that trolls has their place in that magical/enchanted world! :) Very national romantic in Norway.

On a side note, "troldsk" would be more in line with their archaic Dano-Norwegian lyrics than "trolsk".

Last edited by ~Guest 285196 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:13 am 

raumr wrote:
but I don't think "trollish" is completely off the mark, though.

Indeed it isn't. There could very well be a troll or two hiding in the foreground in my picture.

There's a dichotomy in the word "trolsk" that suits Ulver very well. On the one hand the peacefulness and serenity of "trolsk", and the loud and brutish nature of a troll on the other hand.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:12 pm 

Great news, also on the choice of Metastazis for the layout, always brilliant work from what I've seen and bought so far involving them.

raumr wrote:
Will be getting this! I got Bergtatt and Kveldssanger on CDs, but that box set looks neat, and I want Vargnatt and Nattens Madrigal! Also, Transilvanian Hunger with commentary by Fenriz is on the way late this year (November).

Also good news, have been waiting for that since I started collecting the reissues/ commentary discs.

And thank you raumr and Opus for elucidating the word "trolsk", I was also under the misapprehension it referred less ambiguously to "trollish" things but being able to appreciate the nuances of the meaning in relation to Ulver's music is nice.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:59 pm 

I understand the word 'trolsk', but I'm a bit confused about 'sortmetall'. Is this supposed to mean 'bewitching place of metal'?

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:16 pm 

sort = black, so the word 'sortmetall' means 'black metal' in Norwegian. For a similar word, see Taake's use of 'svartmetall', which means the same thing. One is free to use either 'sort' or 'svart' in Norwegian, and they both mean 'black'. In English, the word 'swarthy' has the same root as 'svart', but I don't think 'sort' has any related words in other languages besides Danish and Swedish.

Trolsk sortmetall = Trollish/Magical/Enchanted Black Metal

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:18 pm 

Ok, I thought it might mean 'black' too. I already knew about the relationship between 'swart', 'swarthy', and 'svart'; it's not a great leap to see that 'sort' also has the same root. 'W' and 'v' are rather weak letters, so they could easily be collapsed into a simple 'o' sound. Thanks for your explanation, man. It was bothering me that I couldn't quite figure out the translation. :)

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:04 am 

raumr wrote:
^ Good picture to illustrate the meaning, and I think "enchanted" is a very good word for it, but I don't think "trollish" is completely off the mark, though. The picture they used for the cover actually has a troll on it, "Skogtroll" ("Forest Troll") by Theodor Kittelsen, and Bergtatt certainly has a trollish element, especially with the dark creatures that capture the young lady. EDIT: So, I agree and appreciate your explanation that "trolsk" is about the mood and scenery, but I just wanted to add that trolls has their place in that magical/enchanted world! :) Very national romantic in Norway.

On a side note, "troldsk" would be more in line with their archaic Dano-Norwegian lyrics than "trolsk".

Very interesting explanation Raumr, its good to know more about Scandinavic culture/languages. :thumbsup:

I want this box too, but what about the price?

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:54 pm 

666 USD, or 5 euros. :p In all seriousness, they haven't mentioned the price yet, to my knowledge.

Intraum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:43 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
666 USD, or 5 euros. :p In all seriousness, they haven't mentioned the price yet, to my knowledge.

The US CM store has the cd version listed at $37.50. I was going to buy that but it's listed as temporarily unavailable. I couldn't find anything about the vinyl version. I'm not sure if CM is handling that.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:01 am 

Intraum wrote:
Thiestru wrote:

The US CM store has the cd version listed at $37.50. I was going to buy that but it's listed as temporarily unavailable. I couldn't find anything about the vinyl version. I'm not sure if CM is handling that.

I would be more than happy if this is the price, plus the shipping cost of course. Being a boxy this price could be high so we have to wait.

Earthshine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:36 pm 

Man I'm going to be all over this. I'm a little nervous about how it will cost to get the vinyl version shipped here to Australia though.

Shipping will probably cost more than the box itself :(

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:38 pm 

Oh hell yeah I'm buying this if it's only $37.50. I was afraid it would be at least double that. The pre-sale starts November 20th, so that explains the "temporarily unavailable" thing. Fear not!

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:08 am 

Earthshine wrote:
Man I'm going to be all over this. I'm a little nervous about how it will cost to get the vinyl version shipped here to Australia though.

Shipping will probably cost more than the box itself :(

Probably yes, I dont expect less than 10 euros for the cd edition and I live in Europe. So for other places it could be much worse...

Back Stabbath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:52 am 

Wow, excellent.

I've always found the word "trollish" kinda strange BTW. In Old English it's þurse (modern: troll) which means wizard or spirit. It is widely now considered that trolls were in a real sense simply social outcasts, and the film Beowulf and Grendel is a good demonstration of this. I follow Æfenglóm (twilight), more or less Þursatrú / "Germanic Satanism" / Dark Germanic Heathenism. I love how Ulver embodied this in the Trilogy, so I wonder how it will reflect in this release.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:00 am 

Need.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:46 pm 

Back Stabbath wrote:
I've always found the word "trollish" kinda strange BTW. In Old English it's þurse (modern: troll) which means wizard or spirit. It is widely now considered that trolls were in a real sense simply social outcasts, and the film Beowulf and Grendel is a good demonstration of this. I follow Æfenglóm (twilight), more or less Þursatrú / "Germanic Satanism" / Dark Germanic Heathenism. I love how Ulver embodied this in the Trilogy, so I wonder how it will reflect in this release.

Interesting. Your word, þurse (it's þyrs in my book on etymology, but my book is from 1903) has a common root with the Old Norse word þurs/þuss/þors which is itself a root for the modern Norwegian word tusse. Tusse is a similar creature to trolls. "Tusser og troll" is an expression in Norwegian, and we usually mean dark creatures. Some are small and live underground, some are giants, it depends on the fairy tale. :)

So, the modern English word troll probably didn't come from þurse, but from French troulle, and the French probably got it from Scaninavia through German. I'm not trying to prove anything by claiming a word descend from Old Norse instead of Anglo-Saxon (Old English), and þyrs and þurs existed in both places.

ANYWAY... I also found that the reconstructed proto-Germanic root for þurse is *þurisaR, which is also the name for the 3rd rune in the elder fuþark.

EDIT: here's the Wikipedia page, were one can read the rune poems associated with *þurisaR, and they actually translate þurs to giant. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thurisaz

Back Stabbath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:57 pm 

Well it's also þyrs (and "giant") in OE as well, which would be þorn, 2nd in the uþorc runic system - third third rune in fuþark. I should mention we're not a neo-pagan reconstructionism, we're more related to Gnosticism.

I haven't really followed Ulver's career post-BM other than listening to a few songs from the "William Blake" stuff. Could anyone here tell me if they ever returned to Germanic themes or did it all completely expand into existential exploration?

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:54 pm 

I have not followed them closely either, but they did a compilation appearance with this song:
It's in the Kveldssanger style, but the lyrics are impressively shitty.

Valenten
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:24 pm 

This sounds very nice, thank you very much for sharing this news !

The boxset picture is quite beautiful, I'm eager to see how it will look on the final box. Hopefully shipping will not be too expensive.

Note to self : although I've been reading this forum for quite a while, I've only recently started posting on it and I feel very delighted to see so many people showing interest for real CDs.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:15 am 

I will buy this thing as well.

Does anyone know whether the LPs come with a download code? It would be quite convenient this way.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

mark of the devil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:12 pm 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
I will buy this thing as well.

Does anyone know whether the LPs come with a download code? It would be quite convenient this way.

Its called youtube bro

thrashyourskull
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:38 pm 

I'm loving this. Loving the Kittelsen adaptation art as well.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:42 am 

Well, it seems that the box will cost around 62€(+shipping I guess).

http://www.recordshopx.com/artist/ulver ... 1993_1997/

Too much. :(

Valenten
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:03 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
Well, it seems that the box will cost around 62€(+shipping I guess).

http://www.recordshopx.com/artist/ulver ... 1993_1997/

Too much. :(

Wow indeed, it's quite expensive, especially considering the fact that it's not really new music. Maybe there will be a better price somewhere ? Let's pray for this.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:08 am 

Well, the official price at Century media´s website is the following one:

http://www.cmdistro.de/Item/Ulver_-_Tro ... _set-/2119

50€+shipping cost. If you live in Germany just 3,9€ but for me it costs 10€. Not cheap at all, perhaps next year if there is not the typical fanboy histeria and its sold out in a few weeks time. :ugh:

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:59 am 

its a very nice looking box and art, just a shame the music inside isn't very good :/

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:43 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
Well, the official price at Century media´s website is the following one:
http://www.cmdistro.de/Item/Ulver_-_Tro ... _set-/2119
50€+shipping cost. If you live in Germany just 3,9€ but for me it costs 10€. Not cheap at all, perhaps next year if there is not the typical fanboy histeria and its sold out in a few weeks time. :ugh:

But consider it's a 5 remastered CD + unreleased 4-track rehearsal + 104 page booklet pack:

Quote:
The black metal years of ULVER now completely remasterd and compiled on a vast 5CD box set and limited vinyl box set. It includes the first three studio albums (“Bergtatt”, “Kveldssanger” and “Nattens Madrigal”), the legendary „Vargnatt“ demo plus a previously unreleased 4-track rehearsal from the „Nattens Madrigal“ era. The latter is included on a separate cassette in the vinyl box set.
The box set includes a 104-page booklet (32 page booklet with the same content accompanies the vinyl box set) filled to the brim with unpublished photos, comments by the band, liner notes by Jon ‘Metalion’ Kristiansen (Head Not Found Records and the man behind Slayer Mag), Michael Moynihan (author of “Lords Of Chaos”), Mark Pilkington (Strange Attractor Press) as well as the original Norwegian lyrics and their English translations

I don't think it's so expensive considering this. Anyway, I won't buy it.

bug_man wrote:
its a very nice looking box and art, just a shame the music inside isn't very good :/

Good try, troll.

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:46 am 

im not trolling, I dont think ulver are very good. they were latecomers to the norwegian scene and i don't think they've done anything that another band hasn't done much better. but it is a very nice looking box.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:50 am 

bug_man wrote:
im not trolling, I dont think ulver are very good. they were latecomers to the norwegian scene and i don't think they've done anything that another band hasn't done much better. but it is a very nice looking box.

Really?!? The trilogie is amazing and, considering the 3 different styles, it's more amazing it was done by the same band, don't you think?

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:27 am 

bug_man wrote:

What they did there was pretty different from the rest of the Norwegian scene and at least the first 2 albums were massively influential, spawning a whole subgenre within black metal. The fact that bands like Agalloch and October Falls shamelessly ripped them off doesn't change the fact they were pioneers and always kept changing and evolving.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:32 am 

The high price does put the breaks on me bying it, and it makes sense considering all the things included. It's sad, because this appears to be the definite item to represent their early years. And considering it's a limited release, things look grim!

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:50 am 

raumr wrote:
The high price does put the breaks on me bying it, and it makes sense considering all the things included. It's sad, because this appears to be the definite item to represent their early years. And considering it's a limited release, things look grim!

Hope that it lasts until january and then I will think if I should buy it or not but it looks great.

Having just purchased Fen´s woodenbox edition and taking into account that Christmas are quite near I should spend more money on music, fuck. :roll:

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:52 am 

I'm personally wondering what the "remastering" entails for the sound. Hopefully not just compressed and brickwalled, but there's always the chance (but Ulver do seem like they'd care about that kind of thing).

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:30 pm 

Paganbasque wrote:
Hope that it lasts until january and then I will think if I should buy it or not but it looks great.
Having just purchased Fen´s woodenbox edition and taking into account that Christmas are quite near I should spend more money on music, fuck. :roll:

EVEN I am thinking about buying it... LOL!

teh_Foxx0rz wrote:
I'm personally wondering what the "remastering" entails for the sound. Hopefully not just compressed and brickwalled, but there's always the chance (but Ulver do seem like they'd care about that kind of thing).

Did someone listen to the 2009 remastered version of (1993) Ulver - Vargnatt? It's sweet! So, I expect a nice job with the other albums.

ThanatosUK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:18 pm 

teh_Foxx0rz wrote:

I have the LP box and though I haven't listened to Kveldsannger yet, Vargnatt, Bergtatt and Nattens Madrigal all sound great. No brick walling at all.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:04 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Paganbasque wrote:

EVEN I am thinking about buying it... LOL!

If you feel generous you can buy one for me too, you know, dont you feel the Christmas spirit in you? :D :D

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next