* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:18 am 

From the band's Facebook:
Quote:
Unfortunately, we have to announce that Dominic ‘’Forest’’ Lapointe is no longer part of Beyond Creation for personal reasons. We would like to thank him for his great work and dedication to the band for the past four years. We had a lot of fun sharing the stage with him and recording two solid records! Dominic stays our friend and we keep a good relationship with him. We wish him the best of luck for all his bands and future projects.
-Simon, Kevin, Philippe

Bit of a bummer. If you ask me, he was a massive drawcard for the band. His playing was pretty phenomenal on the records and live he kicked arse, too. Whoever they get in has got big shoes to fill.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:42 am 

Good riddance! Twang bew bew bew bweeeew bweeeen bwaauauauu.

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:49 am 

MonumentalBlackArt wrote:
Twang bew bew bew bweeeew bweeeen bwaauauauu.

:lol: Obvious technical wankery is obvious!

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:51 am 

Good riddance! Twang bew bew bew bweeeew bweeeen bwaauauauu.

Eh, I dunno - I've never really been one for a lot of the wankier bass players, but Dominic seemed to know how to be technical and flashy without losing the groove, I thought it really suited the music.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:57 am 

If by "solid" they mean "solid turds falling out of death metal's asshole", then yes, those albums were indeed solid.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom/Black Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:59 am 

Bummer, he was my favorite member of the band. I really hope they find a suitable replacement.

hots_towel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:43 am 

he definitely was the flare of the band, but I'm not sure how this will affect their writing. i don't have the CD in front of me, but does anyone know how much of the creative process he contributed to the band?

regardless, he raised a high bar for whoever comes into his place. bet of luck to him

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:14 am 

Wow, this was unexpected! I mean, with a new album released last year and a deal with a label that usually gives their bands a lot of promotion and tour offers... The band had everything to give that extra jump and become a "big thing", but now without Forest I don't think they will manage to do it. Sure the rest of the band is technically great as well, but I can't be the only one who thinks that Forest was a big part for the band sounding so appealing!

I'm curious to see if this means we're finally getting that long promised third Augury album though. That at least would make things a bit better.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:51 am 

Forest joined a band with Hannes Grossmann on drums just recently. He said on Fb he's pretty busy so that's might be the reason.

He was easily the best thing of the band. They will have quite the challenge replacing him.

Terminus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:57 am 

There goes my only reason for giving a shit about the band.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:56 pm 

^
Pretty much. The groovy bass wankery was the only reason for me to occasionally listen to Beyond Creation. Actually sort of glad Forest left the band. At least now there's the possibility of him playing in a good band again.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:23 pm 

First thing when I clicked on here was damn I hope that isn't the bassist. lol

And here it was. oh well. I got the first album and I enjoyed it. haven't picked up the 2nd one. But yea out of everything his playing was the biggest draw for me to even pick up that first one.

Subrick... ehh there is slews to be said about taste with you.

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:05 pm 

Dude was a good bassist and he fit the band well. I wonder if Beyond Creation will still be able to stay distinct and unique amongst the already-very-diverse Quebecois death metal scene given this new lineup change. Will they try and get an equally wanky bassist, or will they try and be more guitar-heavy going forward?

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:19 pm 

Lapointe is a technically astounding bassist, but damn if Beyond Creation isn't a boring band. They're the Dream Theater of death metal, which is to say that they write meandering, go-nowhere wank showcases. Good thing that Augury is still around, as they're far more interesting than Beyond Creation could ever dream of being.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:17 pm 

I've never listened to Augury before, so I must ask: Is the bass tone in that band as fucking annoying and warbly as his tone in Beyond Creation was?

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom/Black Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:29 pm 

Subrick wrote:
I've never listened to Augury before, so I must ask: Is the bass tone in that band as fucking annoying and warbly as his tone in Beyond Creation was?

It's different, but I don't think that'll make any difference considering your opinion on Beyond Creation. Augury is less flashy in terms of playing and more into the prog side of the equation, but they're not worlds apart in terms of sound. Beyond Creation is basically Augury, Obscura and Necrophagist in a blender, so if you dislike them so much I don't think you'll like the individual parts all that much.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:31 pm 

People saying he was the biggest appeal to the band are only half right. He was the ONLY draw the band had. Without him, they're just Random Tech Death Band no. Kajillion, but WITH him they were the band with the irritating whale noises. Basically this just means Beyond Creation can finally die quietly in obscurity where they belong.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:38 pm 

Love it or hate, but the point is that Forest's bass playing was a make-or-break aspect in the band's sonority. Without him... yeah, I don't know what will become of them.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:54 am 

Beyond Creation is sorta like Augury if Augury omitted most of what makes them interesting in favor of just playing a bunch of tired Necrophagist riffs while Lapointe noodles all over the place with his annoying fretless tone. His playing in Augury is far less noodly and feels more like he's truly got the song in mind rather than just self-gratification, and the fact that he uses a fretted means that the music isn't filled up with fart noises like Beyond Creation's is.

Wombface
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:11 am 

Yeah not sure where all this exageration comes from. Their 2 releases are pretty solid. Lapointe wanks a little bit but not to the detriment of the music.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:25 am 

It is indeed detrimental to the music when the fucking bass is louder than the guitars.

Wombface
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:38 am 

How so? I think it's very audible, but not louder than the guitars.

Rykov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:38 am 

Yeah, I'm really not seeing any complaint about the bass being louder than the guitars, at least on the debut album. That being said, although I enjoyed his performance on The Aura and didn't think it was too garish (certainly not to the degree some find it to be), I didn't really enjoy Earthborn Evolution and am not fond of the direction they seem to be going in with that album, so this isn't too disappointing to me.

mastamonkeynutz wrote:
Also if you want to make a joke please do so but please put lol after so I can know that Fred Durst isn't really dead.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:04 am 

Well, perhaps now we'll get a new Augury album.

At any rate, I mildly enjoyed the first BC album for what it was. Sad to see Forest leave, as his bass playing was more or less what I was interested in with BC.

SoundsofDecay
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:25 am 

The guy is an insane bassist and super loud fretless noodling over techdeath is fucking awesome. They should get Jeroen Thesseling on board.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:52 am 

Shitty tech death, instrument wanking, weak and aimless songwriting, lack of feeling, sterile production, crappy death metal vocals.

Every time one of those bands die, it's a clear win for metal.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:03 pm 

SoundsofDecay wrote:
The guy is an insane bassist and super loud fretless noodling over techdeath is fucking awesome. They should get Jeroen Thesseling on board.

Thesseling would be greatly preferable because he's not an obnoxious noodler.

Ina_Dingir_Xul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:56 pm 

Got into Beyond Creation after hearing Obscura, mainly because I found the fretless bass pretty unique back then. I really enjoyed The Aura and just bought Earthborn Evolution. Unfortunate that he's leaving, just hope that the band can keep going strong without him, and that Dominic can put those skills to work elsewhere.

Never really did get into Augury, though.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:17 pm 

It is indeed detrimental to the music when the fucking bass is louder than the guitars.

It's the frequency and bass tone, not an unbalanced mix.

The guy also recorded with Atheretic which was fucking awesome. Thesseling is too busy playing flamenco right now with the Salahz trio. Hopefully Nufutic will see the light of day.

Forest should just push the Augury guys to release another album.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:53 pm 

Or he could talk to Rob Milley about joining Neuraxis and helping resurrect them.

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:14 pm 

Hugo Doyon-Karout has joined BC on bass now. This is a quote from their Facebook page:
"It is a great pleasure to announce that Hugo Doyon-Karout is now part of Beyond Creation as our new bass player!
Being a very talented, forward thinking musician and a 6 string fretless bass player as well, he proved himself to be right what we needed to complete our formation. As most of you may not know, Kevin and Hugo have been playing together with our brothers in Brought By Pain for the past 3 years, allowing us to develop a close friendship and musical synergy along the way. It is the start of an exciting and inspiring experience for us and we'd like to thank every fan for their supportive attitude towards our evolving musical journey."

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:19 pm 

Oh so they just got somebody with the exact same style. Smart I guess since that bass was the only reason anybody cared about them, but disappointing because now they might not disappear like I was hoping.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:21 pm 

well it would make sense they would find a similar styled bassist since they are full aware of how much people appreciate and listen to them for that exact reason.

Reply to topic