Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:50 pm 

And since all I seem to do is threads about new albums coming out, here's another one. One man black metal band with a knack for atmosphere and apocalyptic melodies now inbound for his third album. For those unaware of his past work check out his Bandcamp page where all of his releases can be streamed in full. I highly recommend An Extraconscious Lucidity, wonderfull album.

http://marecognitum.bandcamp.com/

Oh, and here's the 7 minute teaser for the new album, which features this amazing cover art:

https://soundcloud.com/i-voidhanger-rec ... bum-teaser

Fuck me, this last quarter of the year seems to be brim with new quality black metal coming out! :hyper:

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:21 pm 

First of all I need to point out that the last visible part of that second link says "bum-teaser."

Now that that's out of the way: I quite enjoyed Mare Cognitum's contribution to the Sol split with Spectral Lore not too long ago, so I'm hoping this will be even better. The artwork's a little weird, could do without all the little arrows, but I'll try and bring myself to overlook that :P

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:41 am 

This is great news. I love the Mare Cognitum side of that Sol split, still need to listen to more from the band, but I will probably get this asap. I like the cover art, arrow spirits and all. Not to knock solo projects, but Mare Cognitum doesn't even sound like one - such a big and well developed sound from someone with a great understanding of how different instruments contribute to black metal.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:39 am 

Yeah this sounds great so far. Very nicely produced, mixed, and composed. Proof that USBM doesn't have to suck!

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:29 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
First of all I need to point out that the last visible part of that second link says "bum-teaser."

Ha ha ha, didn't even realize that!

I enjoyed the last album very much, even bought the hand-made CD-R from Jacob and all of that. I haven't listened to the split because I'm not a big fan of the format, neither of Spectral Lore. In fact, I have some difficulty in understanding how people lump the two bands as "similar". Even the debut sounded good though, it's just a shame that it was never released on CD. Maybe that will change in the future, now with a proper label behind the man.

Jacob has done an incredible work in the past, and taking it from this teaser I'm really hoping that this will be even better!

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:55 pm 

I too have had my eye on this release, looking forward to it. Like you androdion I really enjoy the last album and bought the hand made cdr. As for Spectral Lore did you not enjoy the new album mate? I thought it was wonderful, especially disc 2, it was awesome.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:57 pm 

androdion wrote:
I haven't listened to the split because I'm not a big fan of the format, neither of Spectral Lore. In fact, I have some difficulty in understanding how people lump the two bands as "similar".

I can understand that, splits are by far my least favorite format - Sol is something I've listened to a lot though. Spectral Lore's part of the split actually starts with a godly main motif also found on Mare Cognitum's portion, and there is more continuity on the release than many bands manage to pull together on regular albums.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:47 pm 

I'd say Spectral Lore and Mare Cognitum are indeed rather similar, from what I've heard of either project. Same sprawling, flowing, grandiose style, similar production aesthetics...It makes a lot of sense they were paired on the split (which, as far as splits go, was extremely well done). Still haven't heard Spectral Lore's newest but really looking forward to it. Just usually don't have the time/headspace to take in huge, complex albums of the sort he writes these days.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:49 pm 

looking forward to this, i think mare cognitum is a bit more spacey sounding, but this should be good. dig the label as well.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:19 am 

I won't deny that the bands share similarities in terms of atmosphere, because they do. But I've heard Sentinel several times and I really can't seem to hear much similarity when it comes down to the riff work. Mare Cognitum just seems to be much more riff-driven, with a bit a Swedish influence almost (I swear that some of the guitar parts remind me of Dawn) in terms of the chord progressions. Spectral Lore however always sounded to me like a band that works its way around textures and long progressions, relying on less riffs/notes to achieve a larger motif.

STORMM wrote:
As for Spectral Lore did you not enjoy the new album mate? I thought it was wonderful, especially disc 2, it was awesome.

I listened to it a bit but it didn't seem to convince me after all the chances I gave to Sentinel. I'm going to take a spin on it on Bandcamp again, maybe I missed something.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:45 am 

Haha like you I could not get into Sentinel either! I preferred the more ambient based II album. The new release has quite a mixture of genres so it does take time to digest but as I said I find myself popping disc 2 on the most, 3 awesome tracks, the last track being a beautiful piece to say the least.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:04 am 

I'm listening to III right now (will take a while before it ends, yeah) and he still has those yells reminiscent of Dis Pater. While they fit the music I'm not very fond of that specific vocal approach. Even in Midnight Odyssey they were already a bit of a deal breaker to me. I'll keep listening though.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:02 pm 

You were right, the second disc is clearly better than the first. By far and away I must add. If the entire album was to follow the style present on those two songs, "The Spiral Fountain" and "A Rider Through the Lands of an Infinite Dreamscape", this might have been a big thing for me. As it is though, I really like two songs out of it. It's strange though, how the second disc has a very different feeling and mood when compared against the first one.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:30 pm 

Wonderful as expected. Pre-orders are up and you can also check out the full album -

https://i-voidhangerrecords.bandcamp.co ... s-monolith

This has been a good year for those bands that like to travel beyond the stars. Next up will be Alrakis...

Last edited by STORMM on Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:43 pm 

Limited to 400 copies? Strange number. :scratch:

Time to start listening then, gladly enough I'm in the mood for this kind of music today. Thanks for the link mate! ;)

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:45 pm 

Better than 16 copies haha, that's the definition of "ultra limited".
https://www.facebook.com/i.voidhanger.r ... 9463182240

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:51 pm 

God, I really hate those "we only made like 16" kind of releases. I know there's "kvltness" and all, but I really can't see the point in releasing so little copies.

Being limited to 400 copies kind of buries the wishful thinking I had that I Voidhanger would reissue the band's first couple of albums, since the debut was never released on CD and the sophomore was limited to 150 CD-R copies. I'd really love a deluxe double digipak with the first two albums in silver discs. That would be drool worthy.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:06 pm 

androdion wrote:

Being limited to 400 copies kind of buries the wishful thinking I had that I Voidhanger would reissue the band's first couple of albums, since the debut was never released on CD and the sophomore was limited to 150 CD-R copies. I'd really love a deluxe double digipak with the first two albums in silver discs. That would be drool worthy.

I like your thinking androdion, that would make for one nice purchase. 400 is a strange number indeed. I think I am going to make it 399 very soon :)

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:20 pm 

Why oh why is shipping $12. Fuck it - ordered anyway.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:28 pm 

MonumentalBlackArt wrote:
Why oh why is shipping $12. Fuck it - ordered anyway.

Yes it is steep alright. Ah well sometimes you just have to bite the bullet...

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:33 pm 

Dig the artwork. Not a fan of the band after sampling. Just not my taste.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:14 pm 

Argh... shipping is steep indeed. It's 6,5€ for one copy and 9€ for two. Damn! Album sounds good, though it does seem more complex than its predecessor. It will require a few spins to fully blossom.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:02 pm 

My copy arrived today, hurray for being me! It's been a good week and between Phobos Monolith, Venter Pa Stormene and Earthborn Evolution I surely have enough to kill some time. :)

Just wanted to let the word out, Luciano confirmed to me that there are plans to reissue Mare Cognitum's first couple of albums. :hyper:

Reply to topic