Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
the_raytownian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:24 pm 

http://jutegyte.bandcamp.com/

It sounds really good so far. More of the microtonal craziness, with even more emphasis on melody and the textural droning that popped up in places before...

It sounds very cool... much slower and more methodical compared to previous albums, but I am only a little ways through. Has anyone else checked it out yet? What are your thoughts (assuming they're something other than "Jute Gyte sucks, buuuuh" or "Hipsters shouldn't play BM, buuuuh")?

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:33 pm 

I've heard only the first four tracks so far. Like you said, it feels much more melodic, slower, and also much denser. Listening now, the snare drum is kind of overbearing, especially when trying to listen to everything going on, but it's not a major problem.

What is deeply interesting to me is how the project has used such a wide variety of techniques yet still always feels like Jute Gyte. What do you mean about it being more methodical? After listening to "Your Blood and Soil are Piss and Shit" I'm finding it the most interesting song so far with how little side riffs spill out of the mix. That kind of stuff adds a lot of character and each album usually has several moments like that where something especially weird happens. Even with how drastic they sound they are always well woven into the music and never feel like random nonsense for attention grabbing sake.

I'll have to give it a couple listens, but I am wonder whether people see this as a continuation of Vast Chains and Discontinuities or as treading new ground. Maybe I am starting to get what you mean by methodical - this one does feel more even, if that makes sense.

EDIT: Whoa, those vocals on The Grey King! Very cool, almost more of a hardcore approach and I'm really into it - absolutely massive vocal sound and great placement towards the end of the album.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:16 pm 

Heard only the first couple songs, but so far so good. It seems somehow different, but I can't quite put my finger on what it is exactly, this stuff is almost too thick (almost). This guy is amazing, the quality and quantity of his releases is humbling, for lack of a better word.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

the_raytownian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:36 am 

When I said it seemed more "methodical", I was referring to how unusually tuneful it seems. For all the wavering tonality, there are some very melodious moments that aren't really typical of Jute Gyte's usual abstract riffing style... This seems like perhaps an attempt at reigning in the microtonal experimentation to something a little more "digestible". The music is still a bit of a mindfuck, but it's a mindfuck you can tap your feet to!

It's pretty rare that I enjoy hyper-technical salad music, but Jute Gyte has always been an exception. The fact that Mr. Kalmbach's actually managed to be strangely melodic with it here only makes it that much more powerful.

Speaking of The Grey King, I think it is the real stand-out track... Maybe the most "different" track on the album, as even the vocals are a change from Kalmbach's usual style. "Hardcore" was precisely the word that came to mind.

PS: In hindsight, "methodical" was a really poor word choice. All his music could be described this way, but I think, to the average guy on the street, JG's music probably seems incredibly chaotic and disorganized, especially on previous albums.

Reply to topic