Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morsay
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:23 pm 

Hello all

I wanted to know the differences (mainly musical) between Deathgrind and Goregrind, two sub-genres of grindcore that both incorporate a lot of elements from death metal / brutal death metal

I'm not trying to start a X vs Y thread but these two sub-genres are used pretty often in the metal community

are they interchangeable or do they represent two different musical styles ?

the way I understand it, at least in theory, is that deathgrind is a mix of death metal and grindcore while goregrind is brutal grindcore with gory lyrics

the problem is that in practice they sound somewhat similar, and most if not all deathgrind/grindcore ALSO happens to have the gory lyrics...

so what is the difference between the two ?

for example, what would you consider bands like Phantom, Circle of Dead Children, Pig Destroyer, Anal C*nt, Exhumed, Repulsion, Dying Fetus, Monstrosity and Devourment ?

thanks !

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:28 pm 

I believe your theory is largely accurate, but gore gets tossed around like a tag to the point that if almost functions as its own continuum. It's worth remembering that much of the music from both styles draws from many of the same bands(Carcass) so there will be similarities.

Pig Destroyer, Repulsion, and Anal Cunt are grindcore, Dying Fetus is just death metal, Devourment is slam death, and it's been awhile since I heard the rest, so I cannot assist you there.

EyesOfGlass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:29 pm 

Well, bands like Exhumed, Dying Fetus, Monstrosity (if we're talking about the Florida-based band) are pure death metal bands. No grind there in my opinion. Exhumed played a sort of grindcore back in their demo days. Devourment is a slam band. I honestly never listened to their first album, but most of their catalogue is straight slam death metal. Dying Fetus had a big slam influence back in the day too.

For the rest, I'm not the guy that classifies every genre of metal. For me Terrorizer is as grindcore as Misery Index is, which is as grindcore as Repulsion is, which at the same time is as grindcore as Nasum or Pig Destroyer or Assück are. It's all grindcore to me, I don't care about the "gore" or the "death" or the whatever.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:06 pm 

I've always thought of death/grind as having more hardcore sounding vocals like Rotten Sound and Nasum.

Goregrind tends to have more gore based themes, including gory album covers, gory band names, and lyrics. Carcass is typically a big influence. The vocals tend to be a little more gurgly based. Early Carcass, Hemorrhage, and Impetigo are some main examples.

Reply to topic