* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:34 am 

ScandalfTheShite wrote:
Stabwound wrote:
I can't imagine that shit sells more than a few hundred copies at best. Maybe I'm wrong.

Atleast The Ways of Yore was on the charts here, so it's got to sell more than that. Agree that he should make another metal album instead of synth album, though the last one wasn't exactly a masterpiece. Fuck that Umpskiptar was boring...

The Ways of Yore while not being a masterpiece is definitely better than the previous ambient album and more memorable. I was listening to it all the time while reading; 'The Reckoning of Man' and the last three songs are good ambient tracks!

Yes it is.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:48 am 

LefterisK wrote:
The Ways of Yore while not being a masterpiece is definitely better than the previous ambient album and more memorable. I was listening to it all the time while reading; 'The Reckoning of Man' and the last three songs are good ambient tracks!

Might be. Haven't had the time nor guts to check it out. Hlidskjalf, on the other hand, was a good album. :D I guess I'll stick to that.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:28 am 

Age has not been kind to him... Then again, you can't look much more badass than a middle aged sun-spotted neo-viking. The videos on Jesus Dod and Hvis Lyset Tar Oss were really great.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:33 am 

ScandalfTheShite wrote:
LefterisK wrote:

Might be. Haven't had the time nor guts to check it out. Hlidskjalf, on the other hand, was a good album. :D I guess I'll stick to that.

I'll recommend it too. And it only takes about 45 minutes to listen through, and it is uploaded in its entirety on YouTube by Varg himself. It's still ambient, but with clean vocals and acoustic instruments.

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:49 am 

ambient burzum has always been pretty awful and i always get the impression that dudes who stan for it dont really listen to other ambient :\

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:32 am 

bug_man wrote:
ambient burzum has always been pretty awful and i always get the impression that dudes who stan for it dont really listen to other ambient :\

So... not only is the ambient pretty awful, but "dudes who stand for it" don't really listen to other ambient!!! :eek: One would think that if they took the time to enjoy awful ambient, then they would at least listen to other ambient! Right?! Especially when they leave said impression on bug_man!! That makes me so sad! People liking Burzum's ambient must mean that they don't listen to other ambient, I mean, otherwise they wouldn't leave that impression on bug_man, right? They can't be! Especially when they "stand for it", then you know that they only listen to Burzum's ambient music.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:48 am 

raumr wrote:

I'll recommend it too. And it only takes about 45 minutes to listen through, and it is uploaded in its entirety on YouTube by Varg himself. It's still ambient, but with clean vocals and acoustic instruments.

I agree that is a better album(though I also liked the previous album) and it has some interesting details which enrich they album. And the last pure ambient tracks are great, specially Emptiness which reminds me the awesome "Tomhet" song, which is one of my favourite ambient tracks.

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:21 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
specially Emptiness which reminds me the awesome "Tomhet" song

Probably because it IS "Tomhet".

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:01 am 

Catachthonian wrote:
Paganbasque wrote:
specially Emptiness which reminds me the awesome "Tomhet" song

Probably because it IS "Tomhet".

Holy shit, the simmilarities were that big that I was doubtful, but I though "hey its too late, I am too tired and is Varg doing some ambient shit, everything sounds always the same".

Fuck. :D :D :D

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:27 am 

I like "The ways of yore". SAMV was ok, but now he's got the groove back for making ambient music. "To hel and back again" is as good ambient as he's ever done, has all the classic Burzumisms: the slightly wistful, slightly mournful vibe suitable for sad bastards like myself, the layered, slowly unfolding melodies, the repetitiveness... great stuff. He'll probably quit now, like how he stopped making metal again after finally getting it right with "Umskiptar".

Pretty big fan of ambient Burzum, but unfortunately every time I've tried to listen to any other ambient I can't stand for it. :(

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:50 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
I like "The ways of yore". SAMV was ok, but now he's got the groove back for making ambient music. "To hel and back again" is as good ambient as he's ever done, has all the classic Burzumisms: the slightly wistful, slightly mournful vibe suitable for sad bastards like myself, the layered, slowly unfolding melodies, the repetitiveness... great stuff. He'll probably quit now, like how he stopped making metal again after finally getting it right with "Umskiptar".

Pretty big fan of ambient Burzum, but unfortunately every time I've tried to listen to any other ambient I can't stand for it. :(

Have you tried Vinterriket? pure ambient strongly influenced by Wintry weather and landscapes, I strongly recommend you to check the pure ambient albums(there are some where he mix bm and ambient, and the latest ones with some folk).

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:55 am 

I was kidding. I listen to lost of ambient music.

Dhranna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:55 pm 

Varg has uploaded another Burzum guitar video.. A bit more of a performance than the last ones. I use the word performance very loosely.

http://youtu.be/jykgHQZpYiw

If you've had your fill of his instructions for his Role Playing Game and the weird fetishisation of his Russian Jeep then this might be the light relief you've been waiting for.
Maybe the world will revert back to the Dark Ages in that sense. Like, 100 years from now, "Enter Sandman" will just be a folk song that anyone can play at any time and that no one in particular will own the rights to.

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:24 pm 

New guitar playthoughs up, live and unplugged!

Yes it is.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:53 pm 

I'm surprised to see Varg being so down to earth and downright social with the folks that comment on his Youtube channel. The vast majority of popular musicians wouldn't even consider posting on Youtube, let alone complimenting people on their covers and answering mundane questions.

ThrashingTheRedemer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:13 pm 

t1337Dude wrote:
I'm surprised to see Varg being so down to earth and downright social with the folks that comment on his Youtube channel. The vast majority of popular musicians wouldn't even consider posting on Youtube, let alone complimenting people on their covers and answering mundane questions.

He's probably a bit lonely and craves some form of arms-length social interaction.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:37 pm 

:ah-ha: Yeah, that must be it.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:51 pm 

is raumr varg?

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:20 pm 

No, I just get (too easily) agitated when people's posts are literally nothing but insults. Like yours. You don't actually think I'm Varg, it's just a way for you to let us know that you think I'm a fanboy that will defend Varg every chance I get. I know I shouldn't do it, but it's a weakness with me... and looking back in this thread, I do come across as a silly fanboy, I admit.

Last edited by ~Guest 285196 on Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
invitus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:30 pm 

I do think that Varg might be somewhat lonely. He may seem so sure of himself and so bold, but he also holds very esoteric views, and presumably living in a farm isn't very social. And he's had crazy of a cocktail of a life. His political videos aren't gathering that much attention, so him reliving the past with Burzum fans might be just the thing to remedy that. He more than has a right to it. I wouldn't even mind if he made an album ;P

:)

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:13 pm 

What's so strange about a musician sharing videos of himself demonstrating his music? Plenty of famous guitarists have commercialized demonstration/instructional videos of their music over the last few decades, why is interpreted as being about something else when a famous guitarist simply shares them for free?

invitus wrote:
He more than has a right to it. I wouldn't even mind if he made an album ;P

Perhaps he is simply enjoying having rights again. He's made six albums in the last five years.

Gorblethorp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:29 pm 

I've been a follower of Varg's channel ever since this thread was first posted and I personally enjoy it a lot. He seems very down-to-earth and passionate about the things that bring him joy, and his channel is one of the few positive experiences I can enjoy on the Internet nowadays where people aren't constantly arguing and trying to belittle each other because they hate themselves. Sure, I don't agree with all of his political leanings but it doesn't keep me from finding serenity in the harmonious interactions he has with his fans. Plus, seeing him actually play and give insight as to the composition of his old Burzum tunes is really cool IMO. I'm not sure if the claims of his loneliness are criticisms or mere observations, but I'm fairly certain the same thing could be said for any active user of social media/message boards/blogs. This is 2015, most of the industrialized world uses the Internet as a social outlet. Varg is in a rare position of being relatively well known and can therefore reach a substantial number of people in this manner.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4