Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:39 pm 

I'm a big fan of this Australian thrash band. There is a lot of Metallica and Testament influence, but I think Mat Maurer is one of the more endearing thrash vocalists. Sort of like a cross between Hetfield and Zetro, albeit highly irritating if you are not partial to the style.

Their first two albums are great and riffy, especially Face of Despair. Check out the riffs here:

The lineup sort of fell apart shortly after the second album, and the bassist tried to restructure the band under legal pressure from the newly-departed members who didn't support this decision. The album with the other vocalist was kind of average, but not god awful; it has a few decent songs.

The band reunited sporadically afterward and released two more albums in the 2000s. I actually really dig these as well. The band is still on point here.

Shame they broke up. One of a few great Australian thrash bands.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:46 pm 

"I am Immortal" is a great thrash song.

I've listened to them a bit but none of their other songs have grabbed me.

What would you say are their top 5 songs for people to check out?

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:24 pm 

Mayhemic Destruction and Face of Despair are both excellent albums, the latter being my favorite of the two. The Infantry Corps is one of my preferred tracks.

And yeah, Psychology of Death wasn't half bad either. I went into it expecting to hear a band that's just struggling to stay relevant, but they proved they could still kick some ass.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:55 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
What would you say are their top 5 songs for people to check out?

Off the top of my head, some of their better songs are "I Am Immortal," "Lebanon," "Women in Leather," " The Infantry Corps," "For Richer for Poorer," and of the recent two albums, "Tears of Redemption" (sequel to Lebanon), "Rise or Fall," "Before the Bough Breaks," "Psychology of Death" and "Paralysed by Fear."
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:21 pm 

I haven't listened to their first 2 yet, but I like the two newer ones, "Psychology of Fear" more so if not because of the superior riff quality and higher aggression factor.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:36 pm 

I remember in the lead up to the release of Psychology of Death where they stated they really inspired by the most recent albums from Metallica and Testament and Overkill chiefly among others. That they too wanted to create something that sounded refreshed and stood toe to toe with them as welcomed turnarounds/comebacks. It's unfortunate they couldn't continue on afterward as I think that album would have served as a fine launching point for the band's modern phase. Still, it's a fine swan song and should be considered in any discussion regarding the band's essential material.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Ktulu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:11 pm 

I've only heard Mayhemic Destruction and thought it was pretty mediocre.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:15 am 

I always thought it was neat that the title track to Mayhemic Destruction was a much more raw, dirty death/thrash thing that sounded more like ancient Sepultura than the bay area stuff they usually played. Haven't heard that album in like 5 years but still remember tons of hooks from Women in Leather and Lebanon. Never heard Face of Despair all the way through but I am Immortal is a banger for sure.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:58 am 

I remember when Judas Priest played in Australia for the Nostradamus tour, Cavalera Conspiracy were booked as supports...

For what ever reason, it didn't happen and Mortal Sin played, was a great moment!

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:01 am 

Psychology Of Death is a fucking awesome record. I discovered them early last year. They're up there with Thanatos in terms of current old thrash bands who are putting out ridiculously good material.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:25 am 

Ktulu wrote:
I've only heard Mayhemic Destruction and thought it was pretty mediocre.

I have to agree with this. These guys have never really struck me as anything special. I'm gonna relisten to Mayhemic Destruction at some point today or tomorrow, but I've never found Mortal Sin to be particularly worthwhile.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:18 pm 

Nothing even remotely challenges Mayhemic Destruction as my all-time favourite thrash album. I would explain why, but I already did in my hopefully-not-too-obnoxious fanboy review of it a while back. Thanks Diamhea, for trying to get more people talking about this lost giant of a band :D
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:45 pm 

Fantastic band apart from a few blips. Matt Maurer is one of my all time favourite thrash vocalists. The band were tipped to be the next Metallica at one stange then Every Dog Has its Day... happened. Not a bad album but pale compared to what came along before it, still love the introduction though. I thought An Absence of Faith was an excellent comeback, Tears of Redemption (Lebanon II) is one of the best tracks the band every penned and a bloody thrash classic if you ask me!

I do feel they lost their own style and identity on the last album, more agressive and less melodic, it just sounded like the majorty of post 2000's thrash bands and not like the Mortal Sin I adore. Shame really they were a smashing outfit when they wanted to be.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:22 pm 

I owned "Face of Despair" at one time and thought it was good, but not outstanding. Too much "We love Testament and all those other San Francisco Bay Area Thrash Bands" type of material- in other words, a good example of late 80's thrash, but nothing I hadn't heard before. They were one of those bands I kind of forgot about over the years, much like Hellbastard, or the San Francisco Defiance (who both had a similar approach.)

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:21 am 

STORMM wrote:
I thought An Absence of Faith was an excellent comeback, Tears of Redemption (Lebanon II) is one of the best tracks the band every penned and a bloody thrash classic if you ask me!

I do feel they lost their own style and identity on the last album, more agressive and less melodic, it just sounded like the majorty of post 2000's thrash bands and not like the Mortal Sin I adore. Shame really they were a smashing outfit when they wanted to be.

I think I might have the answer here. During some of their '90s reunions and the one that eventually finalized in the 2000s, they picked up some other veteran guitarists from the scene, the two castoffs from the thrash band Addictive (also awesome, check them out). This is why An Absence of Faith has such a different vibe compared to the last album, which had a different, younger guitarist who brought a lot of "Slayer-isms" with him and made the band sound faster and less distinctive.

Last.fm

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:06 am 

STORMM wrote:
I thought An Absence of Faith was an excellent comeback, Tears of Redemption (Lebanon II) is one of the best tracks the band every penned and a bloody thrash classic if you ask me!

Word.

Quote:

Word^2.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:13 pm 

Been enjoying this shit, Dia. Cheers, man. Never heard of the band before. Not sure how that happened. Good stuff!

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:45 pm 

They have good riffs in their first 2 albums, but they sound too soft to me, pretty much same reason i don't like Metallica.

Drednahk
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:46 pm 

I would agree they are underrated, for sure. Especially the Mayhemic Destruction album. You can hear sonic hallmarks resembling early black metal on that album, must have been an influence. Besides, it fucking pounds man.

Reply to topic