Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Yayattasa
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:49 am
Posts: 659
Location: Brazil
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:14 pm 
 

Tron_79 wrote:
i know this probably isn't exactly what the OP had in mind, but whenever i think of Rap and metal i think of the Judgement Night soundtrack. IN particular the track of Onyx/biohazard. Not really metal per say, but i used to think it was pretty badass..especially since Onyx's vocals kinda have a harsh sound to them and fit well with guitars

also, Necro and Ill Bill (who are fairly well known rappers)started their musical careers as a thrash band...Injustice

Necro's current albums feature some big names too...Mike Smith, Steve Digiorgio, etc....

Cool tracks, though the second one could have worked a bit more on the guitar sound.
_________________
inhumanist wrote:
Arkhane wrote:
Damn, I thought this thread was headed for closure. Good save, whoever saved it but I'm too lazy to scroll up right now.

oh my god people disagreed on something for several pages stop the presses

Top
 Profile  
Oblarg
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:59 pm
Posts: 2383
Location: The second sea
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:13 pm 
 

Antiquus, who for the most part play traditionally-styled American prog/power metal, had a lot of rap on the opening track for their latest album, which threw me for a loop when I first heard it. I hated it at first, though it's grown on me to the point where I don't mind it so much now, and the rest of the song is really awesome.

Youtube: show
_________________
iamntbatman wrote:
manowar are literally five times the band that fates warning are: each member is as good as fates warning alone, then joey's bass solos are like an entire extra fates warning

Top
 Profile  
teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 9:38 am
Posts: 444
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:05 pm 
 

^ I have to say that that song has a really really awesome power metal chorus. The rapping seems tastefully done too; to sort of signpost the political themes it looks like that album is dealing with from the lyrics of that song, and if that's the album cover. And the lyrics certainly all sound well thought out too.

Top
 Profile  
Oblarg
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:59 pm
Posts: 2383
Location: The second sea
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:19 pm 
 

teh_Foxx0rz wrote:
^ I have to say that that song has a really really awesome power metal chorus. The rapping seems tastefully done too; to sort of signpost the political themes it looks like that album is dealing with from the lyrics of that song, and if that's the album cover. And the lyrics certainly all sound well thought out too.


Antiquus does have really good lyrics - that album in particular is about presidential assassins (attempted or otherwise), with each song after the first one sung from the point of view of a different assassin, from Booth up through Hinckley. It's a damn good album, I've been meaning to review it but haven't gotten around to it.
_________________
iamntbatman wrote:
manowar are literally five times the band that fates warning are: each member is as good as fates warning alone, then joey's bass solos are like an entire extra fates warning

Top
 Profile  
teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 9:38 am
Posts: 444
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:24 pm 
 

Oblarg wrote:
Antiquus does have really good lyrics - that album in particular is about presidential assassins (attempted or otherwise), with each song after the first one sung from the point of view of a different assassin, from Booth up through Hinckley. It's a damn good album, I've been meaning to review it but haven't gotten around to it.

That's actually a really imaginative theme to base an album around. Loads to explore there. And if that chorus (and much of the guitar parts) is representative of their usual stuff then I think they're gonna have another fan!

Top
 Profile  
iriki
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:02 pm
Posts: 976
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:33 pm 
 

Pain of Salvation deserves being mentioned here. I think this is a good rapping, flows really well with the experimentation, and doesn't sound goofy.

Youtube: show

Top
 Profile  
Oblarg
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:59 pm
Posts: 2383
Location: The second sea
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:00 pm 
 

teh_Foxx0rz wrote:
^ I have to say that that song has a really really awesome power metal chorus. The rapping seems tastefully done too; to sort of signpost the political themes it looks like that album is dealing with from the lyrics of that song, and if that's the album cover. And the lyrics certainly all sound well thought out too.


Be sure to check out their other two albums, too. Their sophomore work, Eleutheria, is a really phenomenal slab of 80's-styled prog/power a la classic Fates Warning, and has some really amazing acoustic work to boot. Their first album is really weird but also great in its own way, very subtle and layered.
_________________
iamntbatman wrote:
manowar are literally five times the band that fates warning are: each member is as good as fates warning alone, then joey's bass solos are like an entire extra fates warning

Top
 Profile  
schizoid
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:35 am
Posts: 714
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:45 am 
 

Most of everything linked in this thread is awful, but I still reckon rap vocals is something that could be incorporated into metal, more in the way that has been mentioned in regards to occasional Dying Fetus and Deicide delivery. That Necro track just sounds cheesy to me, and I don't like how everything else apart from the vocal is waaaay down in the mix. I wish I could think of something good to link to, but I'm still waiting to hear it.

Top
 Profile  
goncalobcunha
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:28 am
Posts: 164
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:06 pm 
 

KinskiTemper wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDjeFRdmRak&t=1m10s

Great Manes song, though this rap section feels way out of place.


Don't forget this one, from the same album:
Youtube: show

Absolutely love this song.
_________________
Check my CD store HERE.

Top
 Profile  
EyesOfGlass
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:59 pm
Posts: 100
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:31 pm 
 

Youtube: show

I don't know if anybody else already mentioned it, but this is the first one to always come to mind. Mike's trip on this song is priceless.

EDIT: I don't know what's your opinion on Biohazard, but instantly after I posted the ST song I remebered this one. The rapped verses and the drum grooves are terrific.

Youtube: show

Top
 Profile  
Corpsey the Clown
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:38 pm
Posts: 228
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:56 pm 
 

The closest thing to rap that I can enjoy in metal is Corpsegrinder's vocal style. That's about it. It's not so much the style that bothers me, but the totally uninteresting subject matter it's been ruined by in the modern rap scene. :)

Top
 Profile  
ThrasherAxeman
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:56 pm
Posts: 40
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:41 pm 
 

https://soundcloud.com/wrath-of-the-tyr ... -adversary I did a little bit of rapish vocals on one of the songs by my band

Top
 Profile  
EyesOfGlass
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:59 pm
Posts: 100
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:43 pm 
 

Corpsey the Clown wrote:
The closest thing to rap that I can enjoy in metal is Corpsegrinder's vocal style. That's about it. It's not so much the style that bothers me, but the totally uninteresting subject matter it's been ruined by in the modern rap scene. :)

By that you mean the way he sings in songs like, say, Make Them Suffer?

Top
 Profile  
regomar
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:53 am
Posts: 1
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:57 am 
 

1:58. This is what I thought of as soon as I started reading this thread. It's sooo bad.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/KGHXy9Fa45k[/youtube]

Top
 Profile  
EyesOfGlass
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:59 pm
Posts: 100
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:37 am 
 

Yeah, there were some bad things and moments on "Train of Thought", that being one of them, but overall it was a good album for me. Well, that coming from an immense DT fan, but anyway, I enjoy it and has a lot to like.

Top
 Profile  
Senton
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:28 am
Posts: 33
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:00 pm 
 

Youtube: show


Oh Paul.

Top
 Profile  
guitar_metal_777
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:27 pm
Posts: 232
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:04 am 
 

I know this isn't kosher, and just downright cheesey to me, but this is the first thing I thought of. Metalcore with rap. Honestly though, other than the Suicidal Tendencies track posted before, this is much better than some 80's sounding band with rap vocals people have been posting.

I'm going to run away in shame now.

Youtube: show
_________________
The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
Semper fi, apple pie.

Noktorn wrote:
I'd imagine that my parents are very tired with me saying "OH MY GOD LISTEN TO THIS RIFF HERE IT'S AMAZING why are you walking away from me. "

Top
 Profile  
Twisted_Psychology
Veteran

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 8:22 pm
Posts: 3049
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:49 pm 
 

Senton wrote:
Youtube: show


Oh Paul.


Oh wow, that Anthrax/Beastie Boys baiting is somehow much sadder than I thought it would be. His song Dog Dead has some vocal lines that approach rap but it is executed in a more competent fashion. Still a pretty dumb track though.

Youtube: show
_________________
Spirit Division (Blues Metal): http://spiritdivision.bandcamp.com
My blog: http://psychicshorts.blogspot.com

Top
 Profile  
Lagartija
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:27 am
Posts: 497
Location: Spain
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:46 am 
 

Obituary's 'Bullitary' on 'Back from the dead'. Now just what the fucking hell they were thinking is beyond me. A product of its time, methinks...

Top
 Profile  
NorthernDarkness6
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:35 pm
Posts: 116
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:07 pm 
 

I don't like rap period. Faith No More for example-I like "Out of Nowhere" but not "Epic." Blondie "Rapture"-I like the singing but not the rap part. Portishead-I like Beth Gibbons' singing but a lot of the songs have street beat samples that I don't like. I like Anthrax' first 2 albums but not their famous rap crossovers.

Top
 Profile  
nekrokvlt
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:50 pm
Posts: 15
Location: Ireland
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:58 am 
 

Ice-T rapping on Six Feet Under - One Bullet Left. I don't know why I enjoy it so much maybe because it fits the whole vibe of the song but I actually enjoy that one.

Top
 Profile  
chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 11:49 pm
Posts: 3113
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:42 pm 
 

Youtube: show


...How about when rap metals?
_________________
Blood, guts, guns, cuts, knives, lives, wives, nuns, sluts.

Top
 Profile  
cetacean
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:31 pm
Posts: 71
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:50 pm 
 

Youtube: show
_________________
arkam wrote:
Why do you have come here. I didn't know where go, I was cold, You have heated me, I was hungry, you have eated me, I was afraid, now i doesn't have some. This is my kingdom, now it is also your. I am your debtor, ask that than you want. “I wan't your life, I desire your soul”.

Top
 Profile  
ze_mau
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:17 pm
Posts: 24
Location: Brazil
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:53 am 
 

Rap and Metal CANNOT be mixed. Its not acceptable to Metal to mix with this "yo yo" subculture. I listen to the 2 Anthrax rap songs , but I can´t say I really like it ...

Top
 Profile  
cetacean
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:31 pm
Posts: 71
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:56 pm 
 

Ok what about Reggae Metal?
Youtube: show
_________________
arkam wrote:
Why do you have come here. I didn't know where go, I was cold, You have heated me, I was hungry, you have eated me, I was afraid, now i doesn't have some. This is my kingdom, now it is also your. I am your debtor, ask that than you want. “I wan't your life, I desire your soul”.

Top
 Profile  
NoKnownName
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:39 pm
Posts: 197
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:07 pm 
 

ze_mau wrote:
Its not acceptable to Metal to mix with this "yo yo" subculture.

Ah, ignorance. It must truly be a virtue.
_________________
Doomsday wrote:
Doom is the blues of metal, you either feel it or you don't.

Top
 Profile  
schizoid
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:35 am
Posts: 714
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:19 am 
 

A bit of a thread rez, but I just thought of this...

Youtube: show

it's probably actually the most interesting thing Six Feet Under ever came out with.

If anyone can think of any other similar examples I'd like to hear them.

Top
 Profile  
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:15 pm
Posts: 10319
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:35 pm 
 

They're not on the archives, but they might have a death metal influence so I may as well mention that I recently listened to Candiria for the first time in many many years, mostly because of their brilliant drummer. They have not only rap sections in songs, but a few pure hip-hop tunes, though the band still plays their instruments. It's somewhat interesting music even if there really aren't many "riffs" to speak of, and the hip-hop parts are surprisingly tolerable, if a little goofy sounding at times (you can tell I'm really not a fan of this genre....)
_________________
Hush! and hark
To the sorrowful cry
Of the wind in the dark.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Top
 Profile  
dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:50 am
Posts: 6565
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:24 pm 
 

Dang, someone posted this already

waiguoren wrote:
No one's mentioned Disharmonic Orchestra yet? Really out of place on the album if you ask me.

Youtube: show


Well at least I get to post this travesty!
Sacred Reich - 31 Flavours :(

Youtube: show
_________________
Sale/swaps: viewtopic.php?p=2040422
Wanted: viewtopic.php?p=2343125
Feedback: viewtopic.php?p=2470301

Top
 Profile  
Turner
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2002 2:04 am
Posts: 1309
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:17 am 
 

it's more hardcore than rap, but the latest body count album fucking smokes. i haven't put the thing down since it came out.

Top
 Profile  
Wizard1987
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:43 am
Posts: 30
Location: Italy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:45 am 
 

"Bullituary" from Obituary album "Back from the dead" is good but generally I don't like rap into metal. Furhtermore ex Vanadium singer Pino Scotto now has an all star project with some artists from different music genres. He made a song with Italian rapper Caparezza, quite nice song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTbcos3MqrY

Top
 Profile  
teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 9:38 am
Posts: 444
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:02 am 
 

Oh yeah, how about some more power metal? They say they don't play rap and hip hop, but...
Youtube: show

Top
 Profile  
chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 11:49 pm
Posts: 3113
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:24 am 
 

Turner wrote:
it's more hardcore than rap, but the latest body count album fucking smokes. i haven't put the thing down since it came out.


Body Count never really had any rap elements, Ice just shouts everything. They were always just a hardcore/thrash/hard rock type of thing that just happened to have an angry black guy who can't sing for a vocalist.
_________________
Blood, guts, guns, cuts, knives, lives, wives, nuns, sluts.

Top
 Profile  
Idolsofchagrin
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:02 am
Posts: 85
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:15 pm 
 

Lots of bands used to do this effectively but the all time best IMO was 24-7 Spyz who mix metal, funk, rap, soul and rn'b:

http://youtu.be/XzsHgSZNHYs?list=RDXzsHgSZNHYs

(This album here is half metal and half r'nb with rap throughout): http://youtu.be/5ftoK9942I4

They were kind of like a more metal version of Red Hot Chilli Peppers and IMO M.A. should probably include them.

They had more rap and heavier guitar than bands like Living Colour, Fishbone and Kings X who I also loved.

Also Infectious Grooves:

http://youtu.be/V8593OQWGo4

http://youtu.be/50_ooR1qB-c

Suicidal Tendencies:

http://youtu.be/tctQ8Cku4b8

http://youtu.be/CyRWK_vqZLQ

Biohazard:

http://youtu.be/zL632M1-C3E?list=RDzL632M1-C3E

http://youtu.be/Ay78PpiS9fA


Honestly, when I was a teenager in the 90s these are the bands that got me into metal and I was all about "Funk Metal" which IMO in terms of examples like 24-7 Spyz, Infectious Grooves, Kings X, Fishbone, Living Colour, some Faith No More etc was a GREAT fucking genre that really just totally died out.

It seems to me like the bands that failed so horribly at the "rap/metal" combo were just trying too hard and were generally bands that tried it on one album where they usually had been entirely different stylistically.

These bands that did it well always had more of a "street" vibe to them and didn't seem "fake" when they did it.

Of course there is also Rage Against the Machine but they were more hardcore than metal but much better IMO then all the Nu-Metal shit that came after them.

Top
 Profile  
putrenista
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:17 am
Posts: 167
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:19 am 
 

Idolsofchagrin wrote:
Honestly, when I was a teenager in the 90s these are the bands that got me into metal and I was all about "Funk Metal" which IMO in terms of examples like 24-7 Spyz, Infectious Grooves, Kings X, Fishbone, Living Colour, some Faith No More etc was a GREAT fucking genre that really just totally died out.

It seems to me like the bands that failed so horribly at the "rap/metal" combo were just trying too hard and were generally bands that tried it on one album where they usually had been entirely different stylistically.

These bands that did it well always had more of a "street" vibe to them and didn't seem "fake" when they did it.

Of course there is also Rage Against the Machine but they were more hardcore than metal but much better IMO then all the Nu-Metal shit that came after them.


I don't know why you included King's X in with those bands. They never played "funk metal" or had any association with rap rock. Great band nonetheless, though I hope you didn't just mention them because they have a black singer.

Top
 Profile  
Burnt Reynolds
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:55 pm
Posts: 3
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:10 pm 
 

This weird combo of depressive black metal and trip hop came out a couple years ago, it's even on the archives.

Youtube: show

Top
 Profile  
Idolsofchagrin
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:02 am
Posts: 85
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:54 am 
 

putrenista wrote:
Idolsofchagrin wrote:
Honestly, when I was a teenager in the 90s these are the bands that got me into metal and I was all about "Funk Metal" which IMO in terms of examples like 24-7 Spyz, Infectious Grooves, Kings X, Fishbone, Living Colour, some Faith No More etc was a GREAT fucking genre that really just totally died out.

It seems to me like the bands that failed so horribly at the "rap/metal" combo were just trying too hard and were generally bands that tried it on one album where they usually had been entirely different stylistically.

These bands that did it well always had more of a "street" vibe to them and didn't seem "fake" when they did it.

Of course there is also Rage Against the Machine but they were more hardcore than metal but much better IMO then all the Nu-Metal shit that came after them.


I don't know why you included King's X in with those bands. They never played "funk metal" or had any association with rap rock. Great band nonetheless, though I hope you didn't just mention them because they have a black singer.


No, they had nothing to do with rap rock but I did hear a bit of funk metal sound with them. I mean I haven't listened to them as much as the others I only really know their album Dog Man but to me that album seems to have kind of a groovy funk metallish sound to it and also the singer's vocal style sounds somewhat similar to the singer of Living Colour to me.

Maybe if I heard other albums I'd feel otherwise and I know I had a friend who said their albums were all very different from eachtoher but knowing only that one album I see them as having some similarities to that style in a way.

Overall I am mostly familar with the other bands I mentioned.

Top
 Profile  
metalistkrieg
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:02 pm
Posts: 211
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:34 pm 
 

The funky rap verses threw me for a loop when I first heard this song years ago. I mean no one expected this kind of thing from this legendary German thrash band. I actually like this song. It works well imo.

Youtube: show

Top
 Profile  
nestee8
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:05 pm
Posts: 86
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:01 pm 
 

I like Bring the Noise by Anthrax and Public Enemy.

Anyone here listen to Stuck Mojo?

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group