Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:49 am 

I am currently listening to their most recent album, Portals to Canaan. Good stuff!

Anyone else here dig them?

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:54 am 

Nope. They're average to me, fail to stick out on a label they created themselves.

Then again most post-2006 Unique Leader'ed tech/brutal death metal is pretty average stuff. Works for 1-2 songs, then turns unmemorable and boring.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:10 am 

I'll probably always have a weak spot for them. They were one of the first brutal death bands I'd ever heard. I can't say I actively like the style anymore but if I ever have a hankering for brutal death, it's usually Deeds that I end up listening to. And yeah, Portals to Canaan slaps.

AblackanatioN
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:12 pm 

I usually end up listening to Inbreeding the Anthropophagi or Path of the Weakening when I'm in the mood for this band. I actually haven't heard all of their releases, but they seem to be pretty consistent in delivery of brutal blasty death metal.

Aaattaack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:29 pm 

LeMiserable wrote:
Nope. They're average to me, fail to stick out on a label they created themselves.

Then again most post-2006 Unique Leader'ed tech/brutal death metal is pretty average stuff. Works for 1-2 songs, then turns unmemorable and boring.

could you recommend some bands from that genre that you think are memorable? I'm honestly curious cause this just one reason why I am avoiding this genre most of the time.

Deeds Of Flesh: I only own Reduced To Ashes, which is enjoyable, but so far I haven't felt the need to buy another album.

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:50 pm 

Aaattaack wrote:
could you recommend some bands from that genre that you think are memorable? I'm honestly curious cause this just one reason why I am avoiding this genre most of the time.

Basically just look for bands that aren't signed by Unique Leader after 2006, you'll find enough gems that way.

I'll send you a pm soon.

Aaattaack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:21 pm 

LeMiserable wrote:
Aaattaack wrote:

Basically just look for bands that aren't signed by Unique Leader after 2006, you'll find enough gems that way.

I'll send you a pm soon.

thanks!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:59 pm 

I prefered their earlier material. Inbreeding and Paths are my favorite. Post Paths it all kinda becomes same-y to me. I keep buying the albums cause it's enjoyable. But it's not as interesting to me as their earlier stuff.

jugchord07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:07 am 

Gradually Melted is a classic in my book. Their early albums along with Reduced to Ashes are worthwhile too.

Review requests http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=74246

My blog http://foulfeast.blogspot.com

CatFlatulence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:29 am 

Inbreeding is the best, but Portals was one of the most over looked albums of 2013 in my opinion. It's technical and fast, but still memorable. It's hard for me to say the same for alot of bands in the same genre. I think it showed a major improvement in song writing ability. Not alot of modern death metal really interests me but Portals to Canaan is fucking awesome. I have Crown of Souls on vinyl, it's by far the weakest of theirs that I have heard, but I'd say it's still better than alot of the brutal tech band shit..

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:25 am 

CatFlatulence wrote:
Inbreeding is the best, but Portals was one of the most over looked albums of 2013 in my opinion. It's technical and fast, but still memorable. It's hard for me to say the same for alot of bands in the same genre. I think it showed a major improvement in song writing ability. Not alot of modern death metal really interests me but Portals to Canaan is fucking awesome. I have Crown of Souls on vinyl, it's by far the weakest of theirs that I have heard, but I'd say it's still better than alot of the brutal tech band shit..

You're probably not really looking for the right bands then buddy. ;)

nr655321
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:15 am 

I used to think DoF was a pretty generic band incapable of putting together anything interesting. Then I listened to Portals...

SoundsofDecay
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:34 am 

I prefer their older stuff, up to Crown of Souls. Reduced to Ashes is probably the best. There's a real flowing quality to the grooves and the riffs are awesome. I went off them after I heard the album where they went all "tech" and it was completely unappealing to me at the time. They were already fairly technical anyway.

Reply to topic