Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:40 pm 

I like the artwork, but it doesn't really fit Exodus. It's more for a tech-death or brutal death band.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:51 pm 

That title is placed so awkwardly between the corpse and the growth tube. There's so much space under the band name, but they had to shove the title at the bottom where it's busy as fuck.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:23 pm 

Not horrible, but yeah - doesn't really look like an Exodus cover.

This may be a good thing, actually...

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:14 pm 

That really does look like something you'd see on a brutal death metal album hahaha. I was really curious as to what the cover would look like.

~Guest 268919
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:56 pm 

Pretty cool cover but yeah I also agree that it doesn't look like an Exodus cover.

metaller92
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:37 am 

Cover of new Exodus album, anybody know this?

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:28 am 

Spiner202 wrote:
I like the artwork, but it doesn't really fit Exodus. It's more for a tech-death or brutal death band.

It certainly would, given Pär Olofsson has done half the tech/brutal death album covers released in the last decade. Every time I see one, I hope the album will be like The Vile Conception, and it never is.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:44 am 

metaller92 wrote:
Cover of new Exodus album, anybody know this?

Can you read?
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

metaller92
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:03 am 

Diamhea wrote:
Can you read?

Well, what you want to tell?
look at off Exodus page on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/exodusattack?fref=nf

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:04 am 

He meant the link to the article with the artwork was already posted in the topic. People were discussing it just a few posts before yours, ya dingus.

metaller92
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:09 pm 

SkullFracturingNightmare wrote:
He meant the link to the article with the artwork was already posted in the topic. People were discussing it just a few posts before yours, ya dingus.

Well, ok. This topic is relatively short, but not everyone reads all the messages in the topic right? I didn't see picture, which was attached like in my post.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:20 pm 

Personally it warmed my heart to read Zetro is back. I was a fan of them from way back but being honest lost interest to a large extent when Dukes fronted the band. Baloff and Souza fitted the band perfectly, Dukes did not, simply as. As for Zetro, if you ask me the last few years he sounds at his total best, Tenet, Hariot he just kills, a savage and vicious vocal delivery with a bit of range to boot. have high hopes for this release....

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:14 pm 

1. Intro
2. Black 13
3. Blood In Blood Out
4. Collateral Damage
5. Salt the Wound
6. Body Harvest
7. BTK
8. Wrapped In the Arms of Rage
9. My Last Nerve
10. Numb
11. Honor Killings
12. Food for the Worms

Tracklisting ^^
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:09 pm 

Cool, I actually really like some of those titles. Now here's to hoping the songs themselves won't blow. Oh, and another ''Intro''? Really? Is that some requirement on metal albums nowadays?

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:52 pm 

I'm cautiously optimistic. If Zetro can put forth a suitably vicious vocal performance and Holt can avoid all the "TALK SHIT GET HIT MUHFUCKA WE ROLL HARD" post-thrash riffs, I might actually like this. I HATED Dukes, so Zetro being back is a huge plus to begin with.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:19 pm 

My prediction is that after this album Exodus will either replace the vocal tracks on some of the Dukes album songs or just re-record a sort of greatest hits version of the Dukes years. They've done it before and Zetro has said that he'd loved it if he sang on, I believe, Shovel Headed Kill Machine.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:42 pm 

^ I'd much rather have another album in a shorter period of time than the last. They've more than fulfilled their rerecording quota as it is and it'd be a hell of a way to piss on the fans that stayed loyal.

Maybe I just don't get it, but anyone that gets hung up on a thrash band because of the vocals probably has no business investing in the genre to begin with. They could have went ahead with Steev Esquivel, whom I don't particularly care for, and I still would've remained a fan because it's not like the last three albums would have been written any differently.

Frank Booth wrote:
I'm cautiously optimistic. If Zetro can put forth a suitably vicious vocal performance and Holt can avoid all the "TALK SHIT GET HIT MUHFUCKA WE ROLL HARD" post-thrash riffs, I might actually like this. I HATED Dukes, so Zetro being back is a huge plus to begin with.

Which album is "Throwing Down" on again? "Blacklist?"

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:24 am 

ModusOperandi wrote:
Maybe I just don't get it, but anyone that gets hung up on a thrash band because of the vocals probably has no business investing in the genre to begin with. They could have went ahead with Steev Esquivel, whom I don't particularly care for, and I still would've remained a fan because it's not like the last three albums would have been written any differently.

If the vocals suck I am way more inclined to not like the album than if they are anywhere from passable to awesome. Of course an album can be amazing musically but ruined by shitty vocals. I don't think however that Dukes vocals were a huge detriment to Exodus. They were nothing amazing but nothing that I was annoyed by either.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

MetalCrest of Darkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:31 am 

Its on my want list. 30 years as a Exodus fan, true believer. My favorite thrash band of the 1980's.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:19 am 

I love all the Dukes albums except the reissue of 'Bonded by blood' which I haven't heard and don't plan to.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:15 pm 

Lagartija wrote:
I love all the Dukes albums except the reissue of 'Bonded by blood' which I haven't heard and don't plan to.

Wise decision.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:43 pm 

I couldn't stand Dukes' moronically aggressive, wannabe tough guy bullshit. Homeboy belonged in something like Machine Head or Pro-Pain, not Exodus, and I suspect that their turn in that direction was at least partially influenced by him.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:54 am 

Looking forward to this!

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:56 am 

Frank Booth wrote:
I couldn't stand Dukes' moronically aggressive, wannabe tough guy bullshit. Homeboy belonged in something like Machine Head or Pro-Pain, not Exodus, and I suspect that their turn in that direction was at least partially influenced by him.

I can't stand his 3,000 'motherfuckers' on the live DVD, he says it every two words...

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:27 pm 

Metal_Jaw wrote:
Cool, I actually really like some of those titles. Now here's to hoping the songs themselves won't blow. Oh, and another ''Intro''? Really? Is that some requirement on metal albums nowadays?

I like that, at least you can skip what is probably going to be a pointless exercise in tedium. That was my only gripe with Vader's newest album, the attachment of a lame "epic" quasi-symphonic intro to the wicked lead track. So over done and pointless at this point.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:05 pm 

Frank Booth wrote:

I'm still waiting on a logical explanation of the emboldened passage, whether by you or someone else. Once again, the last three albums would have been written as they were regardless of the vocalist because a.) They're hardly any different musically from Tempo of the Damned and are generally more uptempo than most of that album, and b.) Gary writes almost entirely all of the lyrics as well, and all three are undoubtedly their most socially, politically, and religiously critical albums than anything they've done before. Rob's solely credited with "Karma's Messenger," "Children of a Worthless God," "The Ballad of Leonard and Charles," and "Democide." Hardly "wannabe tough guy bullshit" to be found there. Hell, most of their lyrics over the years have been about inflicting violence anyway, so what's changed? Just because you don't care for his onstage demeanor, which is fine by me but not the crux of the argument, doesn't mean you can retroactively pretend those themes never existed before. What influence could he have lent to Exodus? He was their guitar tech before joining and had never been in a band before, much less as a vocalist and a frontman, and obviously didn't wield enough to keep from getting sacked in the middle of the recording process in favor for the man he replaced.

Zetro is no wordsmith himself. Most recent case in point, "Superkillafragsadisticactsaresoatrocious." You'd really welcome some nonsense like that behind Gary's and Lee's riffs? In 2014? No fucking thank you.

I'm starting to think if Holt suddenly decided to join Slayer full-time, it wouldn't matter to most as long as Zetro was still there which brings me back to the question of why bother getting into thrash in the first place if loyalty's going to be placed behind anybody but the actual songwriters?

TheDefiniteArticle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:26 pm 

Will give this a listen, but it will probably be shit like everything else since the debut. Eh, pigs fly sometimes.

Exigence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:25 pm 

Zetro is like a sarcastic weasel. His threats in TOTD's 'tough guy' songs don't come across the same neanderthal way Duke's chest beating on the later albums do. It's like Dukes' would be too stupid to actually intimidate you but Zetro would buy you a beer then go outside and slash your tires. He has an element of chaos in his lyrics and delivery that elevate Exodus past the average modern thrash band. With Dukes it was fading into that bland 4Arm, Warbringer zone. Nothing necessarily wrong just no character.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:46 pm 

ModusOperandi wrote:
a.) They're hardly any different musically from Tempo of the Damned and are generally more uptempo than most of that album, and b.) Gary writes almost entirely all of the lyrics as well, and all three are undoubtedly their most socially, politically, and religiously critical albums than anything they've done before. Rob's solely credited with "Karma's Messenger," "Children of a Worthless God," "The Ballad of Leonard and Charles," and "Democide." Hardly "wannabe tough guy bullshit" to be found there. Hell, most of their lyrics over the years have been about inflicting violence anyway, so what's changed? Just because you don't care for his onstage demeanor, which is fine by me but not the crux of the argument, doesn't mean you can retroactively pretend those themes never existed before.
Because it's easier to label it 'tough guy bullshit' and write Rob Dukes' entire era off based on that. Can't you let people not think about their reasoning. Sure, you have a point with lyrics and the content not changing but Dukes has a shaved head and he sounds different.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:03 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
ModusOperandi wrote:
a.) They're hardly any different musically from Tempo of the Damned and are generally more uptempo than most of that album, and b.) Gary writes almost entirely all of the lyrics as well, and all three are undoubtedly their most socially, politically, and religiously critical albums than anything they've done before. Rob's solely credited with "Karma's Messenger," "Children of a Worthless God," "The Ballad of Leonard and Charles," and "Democide." Hardly "wannabe tough guy bullshit" to be found there. Hell, most of their lyrics over the years have been about inflicting violence anyway, so what's changed? Just because you don't care for his onstage demeanor, which is fine by me but not the crux of the argument, doesn't mean you can retroactively pretend those themes never existed before.
Because it's easier to label it 'tough guy bullshit' and write Rob Dukes' entire era off based on that. Can't you let people not think about their reasoning. Sure, you have a point with lyrics and the content not changing but Dukes has a shaved head and he sounds different.

I noticed significantly more post-thrash starting with SHKM than I did with Tempo, and while Dukes definitely didn't have a direct hand in the songwriting, odds are good that Gary wrote the music with his vocal style in mind. Writing songs that go well with the vocals is a no-brainer - you don't want your vocalist to sound like they're in the wrong band. The fact of the matter is that Dukes' vocals were better suited for post-thrash, and, as another poster said, Zetro's vocals lend a convincing rock 'n roll meanness to the tough guy songs and sound as if you might actually have to worry about him smashing you over the head with a bottle or putting a knife through your sternum, while Dukes sounds like some flabby, out-of-shape drunk in a tattered Pantera shirt screaming impotent threats at you and inviting you to fight him. The whole vibe just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:30 am 

"Sealed With a Fist" > Even the best of the Dukes material.

Superkillafragsadisticactsaresoatrocious/10

Last.fm

Exigence

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:16 pm 

I'd love to hear Zetro sing "Shudder to Think"!

Anal Enforcer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:28 pm 

Exigence wrote:
Zetro is like a sarcastic weasel. ...Zetro would buy you a beer then go outside and slash your tires. He has an element of chaos in his lyrics and delivery that elevate Exodus past the average modern thrash band.

Ha! That's a great description and dead on.

To me the beauty of thrash metal's style of aggression is that it's all metaphorical and symbolic. The lyrics were usually perpetrated by dudes who couldn't win a fight with anybody in real life, and probably wouldn't even want to get in one. The violence is all in the music and presentation. Whereas that HC "tough guy" attitude that made it's way into metal through P. Anselmo and others was like the metal version of gangsta rap - trying to convince everyone that you're a real-life bad ass who could legitimately fuck people up. All that "lick my sack" shit and so on. To me that ruins the original aggression aesthetic of metal by inserting too much "reality" in place of fantasy. I hate that shit.

I actually didn't mind Dukes that much, though, at least not on record. And his vocals actually improved with each album - by Exhibit B he was doing a lot of different cool things with his voice. In a live setting his constant "motherfucker"s could be pretty irritating, though, I'll give you that.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:51 am 

Saw a review that said its a very fast album, heres hoping for a balls out thrashfest.

rafa_hell
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:17 pm 

Folkemon_ wrote:
Saw a review that said its a very fast album, heres hoping for a balls out thrashfest.

The youtube one ?

That guy was pretty annoying.

TheHundredthApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:20 am 

Love Zetro and glad he's the voice of Exodus once again! Especially the way he delivered on Tempo Of The Damned. The tough guy/calling out assholes shit sounds douchey when done by guys like Dukes and Anselmo but PERFECT when done by the likes of Zetro and Blitz;
Spoiler: show
DRUNKEN. WISDOM.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:13 am 

I was interested to hear Zetro back with the band so I youtubed some live clips from this year. The sound in general is awful since its cellphone recordings but Zetro sounds fine from what I can make out (awful backingtrack to Children of a Worthless God though). He looks absolutely terrible though. I dont know how he looked when he was last in Exodus but now he really looks like an overweight truck driver. Ouch!
Ad hominem

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:10 pm 

InnesI wrote:
I was interested to hear Zetro back with the band so I youtubed some live clips from this year. The sound in general is awful since its cellphone recordings but Zetro sounds fine from what I can make out (awful backingtrack to Children of a Worthless God though). He looks absolutely terrible though. I dont know how he looked when he was last in Exodus but now he really looks like an overweight truck driver. Ouch!

He looks a lot better now than he did back in 2004.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:03 am 

All of this concern about how long the last couple albums were and that this one was supposed to have shorter songs...

...and it's apparently still over an hour, anyway. :lol:

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:42 am 

Apparently the longest song on it is six minutes, so I imagine it's still not going to be like Exhibit A and B, filled to the brim with 7-8 minute songs. Hell, Tempo was 55 minutes and that one seems to get a pass in terms of length.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next