Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:25 pm 

I did this on my Facebook page several months ago and got a lot of good discussion off of it. Now, for whatever reason it's on my mind again and I figured it might be fun to give this a shot here. I'm trusting you doofuses to actually follow my lead and not just list shit and then fuck off to your empanadas or whatever you're doing. So, let's posit this:

Iron Maiden is going on tour! And amazingly, they're stopping in your home town! As if your day couldn't get any better, the band approaches you specifically and says "Oi mate, we're getting right sick of playing the same twenty songs on every bloody show for the past thirty years. You seem like a bright young chap, so we're gonna trust you with a favor. Here's a list of the twenty most popular songs we end up playing whenever we tour. We want you to choose FIVE songs for us to play, the rest of them are getting dropped. Also, let us know what else we should play, what're some of your favorite songs that get neglected in the grand scheme of things? We'd be right chuffed we would."

Running Free
Phantom of the Opera
Iron Maiden
Wratchchild
Number of the Beast
Run to the Hills
Hallowed be thy Name
Revelations
Flight of Icarus
The Trooper
Aces High
2 Minutes to Midnight
Powerslave
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Wasted Years
Moonchild
Can I Play with Madness?
The Evil that Men Do
The Clairvoyant
Fear of the Dark

In this specific situation, I think the ones I'd choose to keep would be Iron Maiden, Hallowed be thy Name, Aces High, 2 Minutes to Midnight, and The Clairvoyant. Now, I realize those are some cliche choices, but I'd be lying if I said Hallowed be thy Name wasn't one of my all time favorite songs. Not Maiden songs, not metal songs, just flat out one of my favorite songs of all time. Everything about it is perfect. I love that buildup and release, the lyrics, the performance, it's just an all around phenomenal track and I wouldn't trade it for anything. The two from Powerslave are also two of their most aggressive and energetic from that lauded 80s run, and being the fan of fast and energetic music that I am, it's a no brainer to keep those two around. The band's namesake is pretty much the sole representative of that punk edge the Di'Anno albums possessed that still gets wheeled out at every show, and I'd love to keep it around for the chorus alone. The last spot was really hard for me to choose, because it's hard to argue against the riff/melody bonanza of The Trooper or the crowd interaction with Fear of the Dark (it almost physically hurt me to leave this one off, but it's structurally very similar to Hallowed so for the sake of variety I chose to sacrifice it), but at the end of the day, one of the songs I find myself going back to the most frequently has always been The Clairvoyant. Like most of Seventh Son, it nails these ethereal melodies over the top of the dirty galloping riffing and it just ties into this immaculate package of pristine songwriting. That chorus is another one of their master works that they pumped out with alarming regularity at the time, and it pretty much perfectly encapsulates what made that album (and its predecessor) so marvelous.

As for other ones I'd add: I'd tell them for the love of god play more stuff from Somewhere in Time. It's a shame that an album as loaded with classic tunes like that one is so neglected whenever it comes time to tour again. Caught Somewhere in Time, Alexander the Great, Sea of Madness, and one of my all time favorite songs from the band, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner. I also think that Fear of the Dark isn't the only fluke classic song from that record, as Be Quick or Be Dead is the natural successor to Aces High and it's a damn shame that it's been all but completely forgotten by not just the band, but most fans as well. Moving back to their early stuff, I think the fact that I've seen the band four times, and they've only played Prowler ONCE (and it was during the show when they specifically only played stuff from the first four albums to boot) is a goddamn travesty. The opening of that song has got to be one of the most liberating things ever penned. I don't even know why, but "liberating" is the only word that makes sense to me. It's like my entire life suddenly makes sense once the lead guitar starts a few seconds in, I love it more than my kids. There are so many others I consider among my favorites that I'd kill to see live instead of Run to the Hills for the squillionth time. Frickin' 22 Acacia Avenue, Flash of the Blade, even fucking Tailgunner. I know it's common to just kinda forget about everything post-1992, and I'm no exception (I think Blaze was a terrible replacement (though I knew that they were going for) and the reunion stuff has largely unimpressed me, but I do think they have two flukes in Futureal and Paschendale.

So how would the rest of you play this scenario? Most importantly why would you play it that way? Maiden is one of the biggest and most important bands in metal, and pretty much all of us have been impacted by them in some way, so I feel like a huge percentage of this forum would have some stock in the idea.

I cannot stress this enough, if you just list shit and stink up the thread with nothingness then the more important guys with red names will happily swing by, shut this down, and I will punch you in the reproductive organs so hard that your children will look like Udo Dirkschneider
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:12 pm 

I am too big of a fan of the album Powerslave to not at least include "Powerslave" and "Aces High". I love "2 Minutes to Midnight" as well, but I wouldn't include it in a 5 song set simply because they have put out too many good songs.

"Powerslave" is my all-time favorite Maiden song. I love the doominess of the pre-chorus riff. The song as a whole is heavy as fuck and great to sing along to and its one of my few go to songs when I want to get pumped. There is nothing that I don't love about this song. The bass riff during the interlude in the middle into the solo and then back into the bass riff with slamming guitars is fantastic. And the vocals are great. Instead of the more high pitched belting, Bruce is gritty and heavy. All together, it makes for one of their heaviest songs and my personal favorite.

"Aces High" is another must for me. The riff right after the intro is one of the most head-bangable riffs in existence. "Aces High" is really towards the other side of the spectrum compared to "Powerslave". Its focus is more on speed and catchiness. "Powerslave" is a little more of a journey, whereas "Aces High" gets you to your destination as soon as possible. I think "Aces High" is really representative of the power metal aspects of Maiden as opposed to the straight up heavy side.

I think my third song would have to be "Iron Maiden". I have never seen Maiden live, but I own a live DVD and have seen their performances on TV quite a few times. Even though the majority of the time I listen to this song, it is with Di'anno on vocals, Bruce really delivers live. Its another one of those songs that I can't help but sing along to. Its really representative of their first two albums with speed metal and punk elements and is great for bringing energy to the crowd.

As a fourth pick I have to go with "Hallowed Be Thy Name." It really encompasses everything that Iron Maiden does. Its just a perfectly put together song. It is never rushed, but certainly never bores. It would probably be easier to just say that there is nothing wrong with this song, and there is no way that I wouldn't include it in my dream set list.

Picking a final song is so difficult, but in the end I have to pick "The Evil That Men Do." It is definitely my favorite from Seventh Son. The control of Bruce's voice in the chorus gives me chills to this day. Its not a fast song, and its not filled with catchy riffs, but its got a lot of soul.

I know my list is similar to BastardHead's, but this is definitely my dream setlist of 5 Maiden songs. Interesting you mention Somewhere in Time, because I would have included "Sea of Madness" in a heartbeat if it was available. I guess the other that isn't on the list that I would add is "Flash of the Blade." I love playing along with the drums on that one.

And if I were to order it, it would be like so:

Aces High
Iron Maiden
Powerslave
The Evil That Men Do
Hallowed Be Thy Name

Last edited by ObservationSlave on Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheDarkHarvest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:27 pm 

Flight of Icarus
The Trooper
Evil that men do
Can I play with madness?
Moonchild

*Goes gets empanadas*

I don't know what order I would rank them, but it's those five. I'm just going by favorites. My favorite album by them is Seventh Son. EVERY song is catchy, but intelligent and damn good. That's why those last three make it.

Can I play with Madness? and it's chorus give me fangirlish giggles everytime because it's fucking brilliant.

Moonchild includes a good use of synth and another god tier chorus, but the best part is the amount of energy that come in with after the synth leaves. Perfect for a live song.

Evil that men do is another chorus with an amazing song around it. I just want to move to the galloping go on.

The trooper includes my favorite riff by them...the intro. A strong vocal performance mixed with their trademark galloping/triplet stuff just gets me excited.

Flight of icarus is once again a catchy as hell song. Not the best instrumentally, but probably one of my favorite songs due to the lyrics/vocals and again chorus.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:49 pm 

Aces High
Number of the Beast
Run to the Hills
Hallowed Be Thy Name

Kind of a stock list, but those five I feel are the quintessential Maiden tunes, and I structured them in a way that would provide a natural ebb-and-flow to the set. Aces High is the fast, impactful opener, Number of the Beast is a bit slower but still very energetic while also ramping up the "epic" factor a bit, Rime is the first big epic, a short break would take place (no more than a few minutes) before they bust into Run to the Hills, and Hallowed Be Thy Name should be the closer for every Iron Maiden show ever until the end of time. All are VERY catchy, all are very sing-alongable, and all are instantly memorable.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:07 am 

Not entirely important, but I just wanna reiterate that these are only the five CLASSIC songs they always play. It would still be a full set, so what other, less appreciated songs would y'all choose for the other songs? Doesn't gotta be a full thing, just some others you'd like that they wouldn't play otherwise.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:49 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Not entirely important, but I just wanna reiterate that these are only the five CLASSIC songs they always play. It would still be a full set, so what other, less appreciated songs would y'all choose for the other songs? Doesn't gotta be a full thing, just some others you'd like that they wouldn't play otherwise.

My list is pretty much identical to yours BastardHead, so no point in really talking about that. Those are the quintessential Maiden tunes. As for less appreciated songs, I would absolutely have to pick "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner." That song is up there as one of my favorite Maiden tunes of all time. It's catchy, it's riffy, the leads and solos are great as always, and Bruce delivers so powerfully that it never fails to move me. I can never sit still during this song, it always motivates me to get up and DO IT! "Only The Good Die Young" would be another must hear for me, although I'm not sure if this song gets played often or not because I have never seen Iron Maiden live yet, unfortunately. :grumble: Only The Good Die Young is another song like Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner that really hits home for me emotionally, two of my best friends died in a car accident caused by a drunk driver around the time when I first heard Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, so this song really stuck like glue and felt totally relevant at the time. One of the people who died was only 16. :aww:

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:40 am 

Ok, I can't sleep so I'll play... I don't care about anything else, I want them to play "Alexander the Great"! They can play the whole Virtual XI album and "The Way the Wind Blows" twice afterwards for all I care! I've seen them twice and enjoyed both times and enjoyed the recent material setlist they played before the release of TFF and their Seventh Son throwback was excellent!

the five songs I'll keep from the list, I'm tired of hearing the huge classics so, good opportunity to drop them!
Moonchild
The Clairvoyant
Phantom of the Opera
Powerslave
The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

One of my desires is to see them play a bunch of epic stuff! I know I'll get some flack for the inclusion of modern stuff but fuck you all! I guess this is a very bloated setlist but I wouldn't mind! I'm excluding the title track of Seventh Son since they played the last time I've seen them. No songs from The Number of the Beast since I'm tired of it and almost nothing from Piece of Mind except the legendary Dune inspired epic closer. I picked "The Fallen Angel" (one of their best modern fast tracks) and "The Nomad" from Brave New World since they're both awesome and they mix well together, I picked both "Wasting Love" and "Strange World" to calm things down between some of the longer songs. Even though The Final Frontier is overlong, there's still some gems on it, "The Talisman" is one of them. I'll end things with a fucking glorious historic trio of songs, you can't get more epic than that! That's about 2 hours and 10 minutes of stuff but I know the boys can do it!

Oh and Eddie will appear 3 times, as Genghis Khan back from the dead himself during the intro, a knight during Montsegur and as Alexander the Great! Now excuse me, I made a playlist that I'll go spin...

Genghis Khan (intro)
Phantom of the Opera
For the Greater Good of God
The Fallen Angel
The Nomad
Strange World
To Tame A Land
Moonchild
The Clairvoyant

Montsegur
Dance of Death
----------------
INTERMISSION: Perhaps Lauren Harris can be on stage, but no singing please.
----------------
Caught Somewhere in Time
The Talisman
Wasting Love
Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
ENCORE
Powerslave
Alexander the Great

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:49 am 

BastardHead wrote:
"Oi mate, we're getting right sick of playing the same twenty songs on every bloody show for the past thirty years. You seem like a bright young chap, so we're gonna trust you with a favor. Here's a list of the twenty most popular songs we end up playing whenever we tour. We want you to choose FIVE songs for us to play, the rest of them are getting dropped. Also, let us know what else we should play, what're some of your favorite songs that get neglected in the grand scheme of things? We'd be right chuffed we would."

Why do Iron Maiden talk like retarded chimney sweeps?

marcomai
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:00 am 

Inamongst all the staples, I'd love to hear 'The Duellists' and 'The Prophecy'.

There's no way BD could pull off The Duellists now but I'll still put it in as it's a forum thread we're talking about here.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:05 am 

Acrobat wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
"Oi mate, we're getting right sick of playing the same twenty songs on every bloody show for the past thirty years. You seem like a bright young chap, so we're gonna trust you with a favor. Here's a list of the twenty most popular songs we end up playing whenever we tour. We want you to choose FIVE songs for us to play, the rest of them are getting dropped. Also, let us know what else we should play, what're some of your favorite songs that get neglected in the grand scheme of things? We'd be right chuffed we would."

Why do Iron Maiden talk like retarded chimney sweeps?

This is how all Brits talk, no? Y'all're lucky I couldn't find a way to work in a spotted dick reference.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:12 am 

BastardHead wrote:
This is how all Brits talk, no? Y'all're lucky I couldn't find a way to work in a spotted dick reference.
Of course. I saw it in the Simpsons.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:47 am 

My "dream set list" of Iron Maiden would be this one:

1. Churchill's Speech / Aces High
2. The Evil That Men Do
3. The Trooper
4. The Prisoner
5. Sign Of The Cross
6. Murders In The Rue Morgue
7. Remember Tomorrow
8. Still Life
9. Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
10. Wasted Years
11. No Prayer For The Dying
12. No More Lies
13. Afraid To Shoot Strangers
14. Prodigal Son
15. Dance Of Death
16. Fear Of The Dark
17. Iron Maiden

Encores:

18. Alexander The Great
19. The Wicker Man
20. Hallowed Be Thy Name

Even twenty Songs wouldn't be enough tp Play all amazing Iron Maiden tracks as I would like to add others like "Dream Of Mirrors", "These Colours Don't Run" and "El Dorado" but it's quite complete...

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:52 am 

The bastards didn't play 'Hallowed be thy name' at their recent gig in Barcelona, I'll never forgive them for that. The rest I don't mind, anything except fucking 'Can I play with madness' and 'Wasted years', I HATE those songs...

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:00 pm 

You all fail for not putting "Judas Be My Guide" into a set. If I had my way, that'd be played at every Iron Maiden show from now on until the end of time.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:58 pm 

From the "chose 5 from these 20" - all of them are personal fave songs and I don't get tired listening to them

Running Free
Revelations
Wasted Years
The Clairvoyant

(Though Maiden is one of my all time faves and my first metal band ever, I can probably live happily
not hearing Hallowed Be Thy Name, FotD and The Trooper EVER again - seriously, they've been played more
than to death and nearly physically annoy me. Which is a shame somehow as Hallowed and Trooper ARE
great songs - if you didn't had to listen to them on every occassion were "Metal" is included (club, parties,...)

My personal add. choices would be then:

Burning Ambition
Prodigal Son
Killers
Sea of Madness
Still Life
The Prisoner
Caught Somewhere in Time
Where Eagles dare
Stranger in a strange Land (let alone for the stunning, epic solo part)

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:13 pm 

Phantom of the Opera
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Powerslave
The Clairvoyant
Fear of the Dark

Some extras to throw in:
The Pilgrim
Journeyman
New Frontier
The Mercenary
The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
Prowler
Killers

Last edited by Metantoine on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Read the first post, give some thoughts.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:35 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Genghis Khan (intro)
Phantom of the Opera
For the Greater Good of God
The Fallen Angel
The Nomad
Strange World
To Tame A Land
Moonchild
The Clairvoyant

Montsegur
Dance of Death
----------------
INTERMISSION: Perhaps Lauren Harris can be on stage, but no singing please.
----------------
Caught Somewhere in Time
The Talisman
Wasting Love
Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
ENCORE
Powerslave
Alexander the Great

I'm in love with this setlist :bow:

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:53 pm 

Revelations - Just for Bruce's vocal performance and lyrical structure. A great live song with a lot of parts for Bruce to interact with the crowd and fire them up. Plus its just an amazing fucking song.

Phantom of the Opera - The speed ups the energy level, but its got changes and flows like any long song. Got to have some real classics like this in the set if you are going to drop the rest of the real classics.

Wasted Years - I can never tire of that solo and the uplifting riff and structure of the song is something that live audiences respond well to.

Powerslave - Great headbanging riff that the crowd can lock onto. Plus Bruce can bust out that mask.

Hallowed Be Thy Name - The sheer majesty of this song and the powerful into as Bruce explodes and the band follows. I'd end with this one personally. I think the way the song closes makes it fit a closing song quite well.

Last edited by Ancient_Mariner on Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:11 pm 

Sorry Metantoine, I'm at work and didn't read OP's post all the way till the end.

In regards to my earlier list:

The Thin Line Between Love and Hate is my favorite Iron Maiden song ever and as far as I know they never play it live so I'd love it hear it. Journeyman is another long epic that would be great. For the rest that aren't of the 20, I pretty much some of their faster songs which are some more songs that they don't like playing live.

I_Crash_and_Burn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:39 pm 

Must be breathless, so I can list a set of only 20 songs... they're human, after all!
In order of line up, no encores, no pauses, no nothing. A breathless gig to die for:

1) Ides of March (Intro)
2) Moonchild
3) Quest for fire
4) Flash of the Blade
5) The Prisoner
6) The Wicker Man
7) No More Lies
8) Wasted Years
9) The loneliness of a long distance runner
10) Childhood's end
11) Afraid to shoot strangers
12) Phantom of the Opera
13) Murders in the Rue Morgue
14) Where Eagles Dare
15) Sign of the Cross
16) Aces High
17) Back in the Village
18) Seventh son of a Seventh Son
19) Alexander the Great
20) Only the good die young

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:58 pm 

Never been a big fan of the "Seventh Son" album, and I listen to it only on rare occasions. So, my setlist wouldn't include any of those tracks, although I could live with "Can I play with Madness." Same with "Revelations," "Phantom of the Opera," "Quest for Fire," and "Ancient Mariner" -those songs are a bit convoluted and don't work as well in a live setting, although those are all fine album tracks. Well "Phantom" usually appears in their set, people love that finger-tapped lead solo I guess, and I wouldn't really complain about hearing that one either.

"Where Eagles Dare..." YES! One of their best songs ever. Why don't they ever play this live ???

"Aces High" and "The Duellist"- best tracks on that album. (in my opinion)

"Long Distance Runner" and "Wasted years"= best tracks on THAT album in my opinion.

Ya gotta have "Number of the Beast" and "Run to the Hills" in there. Even if you save 'em for the encore. Wouldn't be a proper Iron Maiden concert without em.
Beyond that, throw in a mixture of newer stuff; I'm not as familiar with some of the recent albums, so I'll leave that to the rest of you guys.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:03 pm 

Out of these permanent fixtures, to choose 5 I'd go:

Wrathchild - great opening riff to get people moving
Number of the Beast - I loved this when they played the intro after leaving the stage, to signal an encore was coming!
Wasted Years
Can I Play with Madness? - these two for the sake of sing-along ease for a concert audience.
Fear of the Dark - just feels like a closer.

To round out a whole setlist, well, I was pretty happy with the all-albums* variety on their 2010 tour.
But let's add:

"To Tame A Land" - one of their longer, repetitive songs that manages to stay interesting!
"Murders in the Rue Morgue" - like Wrathchild, it's one of the DiAnno songs that bests suits Bruce's voice.
"Bring Your Daughter..." - the most energetic song off that album imo
"Afraid to Shoot Strangers" - a sort of cigarette-lighter waving soft interlude, why not?
plop "Transylvania" in here, to reboot the speed and energy of the crowd, in advance of...

*special guest appearance by Blaze Bayley! Playing "Man on the Edge" - yeah I know falling down is the dumbest chorus, but the verses are cool. And then "Futureal", that many of us agree is the best of Blaze's work.

Been keeping it positive so far, so let's get into the morbid side with "Out of the Silent Planet" changing up the mood. "Rainmaker" to keep that mood going, while transitioning to more of a pounder in "Montsegur". Then hmmm AMOLAD is my favourite album, but much of it diesn't translate great to a live atmosphere. "Benjamin Breeg" probably bridges that gap, between serious brooding stuff to catchy singable crowdpleasing. That and "The Pligrim", though the tone of it kind of fits better with "To Tame a Land". Some re-ordering required! For the most recent album, how boot putting in "Coming Home" at the end of the first set, before the encore? It's got a hint of finality sort of. I'll lazyass out before 20 songs, by saying I'll leave a spot open for future work!

That leaves my order as:

"Wrathchild"
"Rue Morgue"
"Tame a Land"
"The Pilgrim"
"Wasted Years"
"Play with Madness"
"Bring Your Daughter"
"Shoot Strangers"
"Transylvania"
"Man on the Edge"
"Futureal"
"Silent Planet"
"Rainmaker"
"Montsegur"
"Benjamin Breeg"
(enter song from upcoming album?)
"Coming Home"
---- end of main set ----

"Number of the Beast"
"Where Eagles Dare" - forgot to mention this earlier! You need a three song encore, and this is one of theur most intense blasts before the trademark finisher.
"Fear of the Dark"
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:12 pm 

Nice that we agree on Montsegur! "Coming Home" is a good choice for TFF but I disagree with your AMOLAD choices!

The hell with Fear of the Dark as a closer, you guys are too conservative with your choices!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:18 pm 

There's being conservative, and then there's overcorrecting massively by trying to convince me that Brighter than a Thousand Suns is anything other than wretched :p

Hey man, not my fault that they've consistently bored the piss out of me since Bruce came back!

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:07 pm 

Songs to keep:

Run To The Hills
The Evil That Men Do
Aces High
Phantom of The Opera
Wasted Years

I would actually list Flight of Icarus under the group of songs that never get played. That song has been MIA since what....1985?

Other songs

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son shouldn't quite leave the set yet. The fact that Infinite Dreams wasn't played on this tour was criminal.

Stranger In A Strange Land and Alexander The Great should show up. Flash of the Blade should too, especially since they have three guitar players to handle the overdubs on the studio album. That's been the biggest wasted opportunity since they got back IMO.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:55 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Nice that we agree on Montsegur! "Coming Home" is a good choice for TFF but I disagree with your AMOLAD choices!

The hell with Fear of the Dark as a closer, you guys are too conservative with your choices!

"1000 Suns" is a fantastic song, I agree, but is it concert-able? I'm not so sure. I would like another from AMOLAD, but I's put in "Out of the Shadows" before that one.
And you closed your list with that draggy-ass "Ancient Mariner"? Man, that's a sit-down-and-listen-closely type of song. In comparison, "1000 Suns" is live material!
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:14 pm 

Subrick wrote:
You all fail for not putting "Judas Be My Guide" into a set. If I had my way, that'd be played at every Iron Maiden show from now on until the end of time.

That song was never very good. It's not bad for the 90s era, but compared to their best material it's average.

If I had to pick five of the classics...

Flight of Icarus
Powerslave
Moonchild
Wasted Years

Wanted a selection of different albums, and some variety - Flight of Icarus has one of metal's great choruses, Powerslave is one of their more dense and complex tunes, Moonchild has awesome propulsive power metal riffing and another killer chorus, Wasted Years is a stadium anthem with great synth work and Rime is a gargantuan epic.

Other songs I'd love to see...

Where Eagles Dare
Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
Heaven Can Wait
Alexander the Great
Die With Your Boots On
Children of the Damned
The Prisoner
The Nomad
The Longest Day
Isle of Avalon
The Talisman
Coming Home
The Journeyman

Don't know how well these would all fit together but I'd love to see them played anyway. Some of those old NotB tracks are really great - The Prisoner in particular; what an awesome goddamn song. I always loved the spacey miniature epics on SIT so those got thrown in. Where Eagles Dare is just mint. Killer track.

Newer stuff - I know some people don't like it so much, and there are probably a few too many listed in this post to be feasible for a live setting. But I'd like to hear em anyway. At least a few of em! Journeyman is such an odd song for them too, but effective. BH is wrong about 1000 Suns too! Huge, weighty epic is what that song is. It's got the magnitude of a thousand suns.

Xytras71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:45 pm 

My dream set would be:
The ides of march
Aces high
Two minutes to midnight
Phantom of the opera
Gangland
Powerslave
Still life
To tame a land
Running free
Remember tomorrow
Clairvoyant
The evil that man do
Bring your daughter...to the slaughter
Wrathchild
Murders in the rue morgue
Loneliness of a long distance runner
Trooper
Killers
The prisoner
Hallowed be thy name

Last edited by Metantoine on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Add some explanation, that's not hard.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:21 am 

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
Alexander The Great
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner

in heavy and loop rotation :bow:

I think in these tracks is the summa of Maiden's verbo. So majestic, so epic, so emotional so evil and comes from my favourite Maiden albums (and surely not only my favourite).

These tracks were also played live very rarely, above Alexander, and I think Dickinson & Co. make happy most of their fans for a tracklist like this ahah

P.S. the album Seventh Son and his title track remains my higher listen in about 26 years of metal.

"You make it easy."

Von Jugel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:36 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I did this on my Facebook page several months ago and got a lot of good discussion off of it. Now, for whatever reason it's on my mind again and I figured it might be fun to give this a shot here. I'm trusting you doofuses to actually follow my lead and not just list shit and then fuck off to your empanadas or whatever you're doing. So, let's posit this:

Iron Maiden is going on tour! And amazingly, they're stopping in your home town! As if your day couldn't get any better, the band approaches you specifically and says "Oi mate, we're getting right sick of playing the same twenty songs on every bloody show for the past thirty years. You seem like a bright young chap, so we're gonna trust you with a favor. Here's a list of the twenty most popular songs we end up playing whenever we tour. We want you to choose FIVE songs for us to play, the rest of them are getting dropped. Also, let us know what else we should play, what're some of your favorite songs that get neglected in the grand scheme of things? We'd be right chuffed we would."

Running Free
Phantom of the Opera
Iron Maiden
Wratchchild
Number of the Beast
Run to the Hills
Hallowed be thy Name
Revelations
Flight of Icarus
The Trooper
Aces High
2 Minutes to Midnight
Powerslave
Wasted Years
Moonchild
Can I Play with Madness?
The Evil that Men Do
The Clairvoyant
Fear of the Dark

In this specific situation, I think the ones I'd choose to keep would be Iron Maiden, Hallowed be thy Name, Aces High, 2 Minutes to Midnight, and The Clairvoyant. Now, I realize those are some cliche choices, but I'd be lying if I said Hallowed be thy Name wasn't one of my all time favorite songs. Not Maiden songs, not metal songs, just flat out one of my favorite songs of all time. Everything about it is perfect. I love that buildup and release, the lyrics, the performance, it's just an all around phenomenal track and I wouldn't trade it for anything. The two from Powerslave are also two of their most aggressive and energetic from that lauded 80s run, and being the fan of fast and energetic music that I am, it's a no brainer to keep those two around. The band's namesake is pretty much the sole representative of that punk edge the Di'Anno albums possessed that still gets wheeled out at every show, and I'd love to keep it around for the chorus alone. The last spot was really hard for me to choose, because it's hard to argue against the riff/melody bonanza of The Trooper or the crowd interaction with Fear of the Dark (it almost physically hurt me to leave this one off, but it's structurally very similar to Hallowed so for the sake of variety I chose to sacrifice it), but at the end of the day, one of the songs I find myself going back to the most frequently has always been The Clairvoyant. Like most of Seventh Son, it nails these ethereal melodies over the top of the dirty galloping riffing and it just ties into this immaculate package of pristine songwriting. That chorus is another one of their master works that they pumped out with alarming regularity at the time, and it pretty much perfectly encapsulates what made that album (and its predecessor) so marvelous.

As for other ones I'd add: I'd tell them for the love of god play more stuff from Somewhere in Time. It's a shame that an album as loaded with classic tunes like that one is so neglected whenever it comes time to tour again. Caught Somewhere in Time, Alexander the Great, Sea of Madness, and one of my all time favorite songs from the band, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner. I also think that Fear of the Dark isn't the only fluke classic song from that record, as Be Quick or Be Dead is the natural successor to Aces High and it's a damn shame that it's been all but completely forgotten by not just the band, but most fans as well. Moving back to their early stuff, I think the fact that I've seen the band four times, and they've only played Prowler ONCE (and it was during the show when they specifically only played stuff from the first four albums to boot) is a goddamn travesty. The opening of that song has got to be one of the most liberating things ever penned. I don't even know why, but "liberating" is the only word that makes sense to me. It's like my entire life suddenly makes sense once the lead guitar starts a few seconds in, I love it more than my kids. There are so many others I consider among my favorites that I'd kill to see live instead of Run to the Hills for the squillionth time. Frickin' 22 Acacia Avenue, Flash of the Blade, even fucking Tailgunner. I know it's common to just kinda forget about everything post-1992, and I'm no exception (I think Blaze was a terrible replacement (though I knew that they were going for) and the reunion stuff has largely unimpressed me, but I do think they have two flukes in Futureal and Paschendale.

So how would the rest of you play this scenario? Most importantly why would you play it that way? Maiden is one of the biggest and most important bands in metal, and pretty much all of us have been impacted by them in some way, so I feel like a huge percentage of this forum would have some stock in the idea.

I cannot stress this enough, if you just list shit and stink up the thread with nothingness then the more important guys with red names will happily swing by, shut this down, and I will punch you in the reproductive organs so hard that your children will look like Udo Dirkschneider

Were you at the Aragon show in '99? I swear that they made the setlist just for me. Played everything except 22 Acacia.

marcomai
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:40 pm 

I'd actually like to see Running Free omitted. So juveneile, and not in a charming way. I can understand why it might be special to Steve Harris for a number of reasons, but it just sounds so cheesy and clumsy.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:32 pm 

Agreed (About "Running Free" I mean.) I believe that was one of the very first songs Iron Maiden ever wrote. Even by the time their debut album was released, it was already sounding dated, a step behind the rest of the songs on that album. It's not really a terrible song or anything, I almost enjoy it, but if the band was gonna include tracks from the 1980 debut album, there are many I'd rather hear than that one, for instance, "Sanctuary," "Prowler," "Iron Maiden" or even "Remember Tomorrow." I don't even mind "Phantom of the Opera" although that song isn't one of the best choices for live tracks in my opinion.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:44 pm 

Having "Remember Tomorrow" and "Prowler" on the same album (and right next to each other no less) is why Maiden became a great band, and why the debut album was special. They were way ahead of most of their peers. It was a raw, emotional and varied album - just a great classic.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:53 am 

Number of the Beast
Hallowed Be Thy Name
2 Minutes To Midnight
Moonchild

Rime is rarely played these days though, isn't it? It'd be great to listen to it live. And man, I still haven't really forgiven Maiden for not playing Hallowed Be Thy Name here in Lisbon last year. Not even that big on that song but how can there be a maiden concert without it?

As for the other 3, they're just personal favorites of mine. Don't really care for the lieks of Aces High, Run For The Hills and especially Fear of the Dark.

And well, this was easier than I thought.

Hemispheres
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:05 am 

1. Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
2. Genghis Khan
3. Hallowed Be Thy Name
4. Deja Vu
5. Only The Good Die Young
6. Wasted Years
7. Transylvania
8. Number of the Beast
9. The Wicker Man
11. Iron Maiden
12. Children of the Damned
13. Die With Your Boots On
14. Caught Somewhere In Time
15. Age of Innocence
16. Where Eagles Dare
17. Infinite Dreams
18. The Evil That Men Do
19. The Clairvoyant
20. Blood Brothers
21. The Trooper

it all adds up to 20...just deleted number 10 which was Phantom of the Opera.
Reading his books is just exhausting. Detailed descriptions can be great, but in Lord of the Rings when Tolkien takes up an entire page to tell you exactly how a tree looks... just get on with it Tolkien, you sociopath.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:27 pm 

In no particular order. Or any order.

The Wicker Man
New Frontier - highly underrated song off Dance of Death
Fear of the Dark - definitely a crowd pleaser, but also
Judas Be My Guide - It's got the right energy for a live track, and lots of sustained notes for Bruce to wail
Phantom of the Opera - Phenomenal live last time I saw them. They need to add this to their regular playlist
Murders in the Rue Morgue or Purgatory from Killers
A good half of The Number of the Beast - Title track, Run to the Hills, Children of the Damned, Hallowed Be Thy Name. Good closing number, that one.
The Trooper
Aces High
Powerslave
Moonchild
The Evil That Men Do

And finally... +1 million to Somewhere in Time. I would kill or die to see Stranger in a Strange Land again, or Alexander the Great at all. Caught Somewhere in Time definitely. Stop playing just Wasted Years!

Actually, not finally. It would be fun to hear some b-sides. Cross-Eyed Mary or I've Got the Fire.

I_Crash_and_Burn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:52 pm 

marcomai wrote:
I'd actually like to see Running Free omitted. So juveneile, and not in a charming way. I can understand why it might be special to Steve Harris for a number of reasons, but it just sounds so cheesy and clumsy.

Well, it's a good song. But damn, we heard it so much times it's become overworn. The same for Iron Maiden, 666, hallowed... ok, we all know and love these songs but please, you have some 200 to play, deliver us something different. THis is why my preferred gig doesn't enclose some of all-time classics. (let alone the fact that I simply consider those songs superior in their discography, of course :-) )

Up the Irons now and forever.

SuperBicycleTony
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:46 am 

For the five classic tracks:

Hallowed Be Thy Name
Aces High
Powerslave
Iron Maiden
Phantom of the Opera

Pretty standard from the looks of things so far.

As for the rest of the gig, in no specific order (mainly because I tried to put them in order but just couldn't get it to feel right)

Futureal
Infinite Dreams
Sign of the Cross
Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
The Clansman
Prowler
Remember Tomorrow
Where Eagles Dare
Prodigal Son
Total Eclipse
Deja Vu
Caught Somewhere In Time
Doctor Doctor
Sun and Steel

A lot of long songs in there. No need to get Blaze in to do his tracks, Bruce can pull them off live just as well if not better.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:29 am 

Wow...this is hard, but I think I would go something along these lines.

I'll keep the following.

2 Minutes to Midnight
Number of the Beast
The Evil that Men Do
The Trooper
Fear of the Dark

Then...I guess its just what I like that weren't on the list...no real deep logic or anything involved.

Moonchild
Caught Somewhere In Time
The Trooper
Fear of the Dark
Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)/Transylvania
The Mercenary
Where Eagles Dare
Remember Tomorrow
Murders In The Rue Morgue
Children Of The Damned
Different World
Seventh son of A Seventh son.
Only the good die young

Encores
2 Minutes to Midnight
Number of the Beast
The Evil that Men Do

Hatman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:36 pm 

I'd want them to open with Aces High, that song is a great pumper-upper, especially with the intro before the Live After Death version. I'd end with either Hallowed be thy Name or Fear of the Dark, Hallowed being very emotional and Fear being especially creepy. The other classics would be Flight of Icarus and Powerslave.
I really like their debut, so I'd want them to play Prowler, Sanctuary, and Charlotte the Harlot. Additionally, Where Eagles Dare is a favorite, one of the most epic songs I've ever heard.

MorbidBlood wrote:
It's just too brutal for the normal listeners.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next