Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:34 pm 

Here's a link with more details:
http://metalhammer.teamrock.com/news/20 ... ck-listing

It's called Massive Cauldron of Chaos

A few months ago they put out a lyrics vid for their new single. I was shocked to find out about it, because most websites have been pretty quiet about it. I wonder if people have stopped caring about them since they started the pseudo-ambient phase... Anyway, I was honestly displeased with the artwork and title tracks. It looks a little modern, in a cliche'd way, and seems metal enough, but without the darkness and atmosphere that typically accompanies 1349 albums. It kinda ruins the mechanics of the band when you start employing crisper artworks to everything, and your facebook page consists of pictures of breweries and your drummer feeding adorable kittens. I have the suspicion that they're altering their desired presentation again. That being said, the music still doesn't disappoint, and I'm deep in anticipation.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:56 pm 

New songs pretty good, but seeing how their previous album was it may be better in the context of the album. On a side note, I was a little disappointed with their live set when I saw them with Behemoth during their last US tour. I couldn't hear anything but the cymbals and a very little bit of guitar.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:55 pm 

That may honestly be my favorite 1349 track ever, although I haven't to them since Hellfire. Artwork is great as well:

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:43 pm 

Totally forgot what that song sounded like until now. First time I've listened to it since seeing them at that show which had great sound in Chicago at least.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:55 pm 

Title and artwork (sorta) suggests a return to more solid black metal, over the odd experimental stuff. Although that was okay in smaller doses as on ... Black Flame compared to Demonoir. I'll probably be happy with this album. 1349 and Stormwitch too, 2014 is shaping up to be a good year!
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:11 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Totally forgot what that song sounded like until now. First time I've listened to it since seeing them at that show which had great sound in Chicago at least.

I haven't paid any attention to these guys since the Hellfire days until I saw them in Chicago a bit ago. Honestly I thought their set was pretty awful, new song included, I doubt I'll give the new album much of a go either just not my cup of tea anymore.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:50 am 

Honestly I'm not that impressed with the song, the artwork, or the title. I thought the more experimental route they took with Demonoir was great, and it remains my favorite 1349 album by far. Still, I'll definitely listen to the whole album when I can as I can't just judge it by that one song.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:57 am 

First impression: Pretty terrible. Generic, incoherent shite. Not as bad as the new Mayhem, but there's little left of what once made 1349 one of the few modern bm bands worth listening to (and why does everything need to have speed metal riffing now?). Bleh.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:58 am 

It sounds like a modern Gorgoroth album (aka, Destroyer and beyond) and thus like a Dimmu Borgir album- what the hell happened? Where are the razor sharp riffs this band was once known for? I'm with inhumanist - why the fuck does there have to be speed metal riffs....where's the goddamn tremolo???

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:47 pm 

1349 has always been a relatively thrash/speed metal inspired band. Demonoir, Hellfire, even the first two albums are full of power chord and pedalling riffs... And this sounds nothing like Dimmu Borgir.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:53 pm 

Tremolo riffing at 2:16 and again at 3:53. Sounds thrashier ala Hellfire, I like it alot. More of a fan of Beyond the Apocalypse as that is my favourite 1349 album along with the debut and mcd. Demonoir was good though and while I'd prefer more of the BtA sound this works, I can't blame them Hellfire is probably their most popular album so i makes sense to utilize the thrashier elements like that album.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:35 pm 

Lies, Sounds exactly like Dimmu's craptastic riffing. This sounds nothing like Hellfire! At all!

The intensity and suffocating delivery of the first albums are long gone - even the weirdo experimentation they've done is gone. All we're left with is some shitty super modern polished crap. To say I'm disappointed is a vast understatement.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:43 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Lies, Sounds exactly like Dimmu's craptastic riffing. This sounds nothing like Hellfire! At all!

The intensity and suffocating delivery of the first albums are long gone - even the weirdo experimentation they've done is gone. All we're left with is some shitty super modern polished crap. To say I'm disappointed is a vast understatement.

Its one song though man, can't exactly damn the album yet.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:48 pm 

I know. I just really like the band and I'm wary. Won't damn it - but won't get psyched for it.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:51 pm 

I'm not going to argue with you that it's heavier than previous albums, because that would be pointless, but saying it sounds like this is seriously either ill informed or ill willed. I always expect more of a headbangable thrashy styled music from 1349 than a brick wall of impenetrable pace and noise (though they are certainly capable of the later too.)

Perhaps perception has something to do with it too though. When I first found the video and noticed that nobody had mentioned it despite its release a few months ago, I too anticipated something too modern or polished, but that's because I expected the worst. 1349 doesn't even compare. So I'm content.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:03 pm 

Dear lord that Liberace Tim the Enchanter outfit.. bahahaha fuck that band just went so wrong.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:19 pm 

I think Slaves is pretty great actually. The artwork however is quite dissapointing. It´s something with the font that doesn't sit right with me.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:54 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:
PhilosophicalFrog wrote:

You can. When a band pre-releases one song off a new album, isn't it meant to be representative? I mean, what goofass band would put out the album's one most outlying song to say "here's what to look firward to"? Y'all can fairly take the song's speed metal riffing as reason to expect the whole album's humbug. I sure as hell wouldn't (trekolos aren't the end of the world), but y'all can.

Nolax
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:40 pm 

I can't wait to hear the new cd to give it a try.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:51 pm 

Oddeye wrote:
I think Slaves is pretty great actually. The artwork however is quite dissapointing. It´s something with the font that doesn't sit right with me.

The title is balanced absolutely horribly. The words are so far from one another that they seem unrelated, particularly "Chaos", which is sitting lonely by itself far off to the right. On top of that, the typeface they chose is a pretty overused and generic one that's fairly ill-suited to a black metal release like this, at least in the way its currently being presented. Also, why abbreviate the title like that if only to spell it out right under it? Did they really want people referring to the album as "M'Cock"?
Hehe, foreskins.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:15 am 

severzhavnost wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:

You can. When a band pre-releases one song off a new album, isn't it meant to be representative? I mean, what goofass band would put out the album's one most outlying song to say "here's what to look firward to"? Y'all can fairly take the song's speed metal riffing as reason to expect the whole album's humbug. I sure as hell wouldn't (trekolos aren't the end of the world), but y'all can.

That doesn't always happen. Sometimes people pick their most unique, or most probably best song as a single, so that it gets attention before release. (I say best cautiously because a lot of the time singles are catchy but most of the time the rest of the album is more mature and ages better.) That or you can just outright lie like Morbid Angel did haha.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:03 am 

severzhavnost wrote:
Y'all can fairly take the song's speed metal riffing as reason to expect the whole album's humbug. I sure as hell wouldn't (trekolos aren't the end of the world), but y'all can.

It's not the reason why I don't like it. The fact that they are suddenly using different technique is just a sympton of the problem. The first black/death metal bands where all using speed metal riffing, that didn't do them any harm. The thing is that 1349 once had their own distinct style, sort of an apocalyptic percussive technical black metal (which they did well) but it seems that now they've decided to throw their originality out of the window in favor of playing vaguely 1349-flavored speed metal, and they are not doing it well.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:14 am 

Interesting guitar tones, but there's definitely going to be some ear fatigue with this album. I'm reminded of Incipit Satan, not Dimmu Borgir so much, as this is definitely more austere and riff-centered stuff. It kind of sounds like if current Darkthrone wrote a more brutal, black/thrash tune - the mood is rather ambiguous, and the classic black metal elements are quieted.

Blah. It's repetitive as hell. Did it start over at some point?

DeathspellDelta
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:26 am 

I like how clean and succinct the album cover looks. Song is awesome too.
However, did they need to put the shorthand right above the full album title? Not only is it pointless but its sounds bad. mm coc?

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:22 am 

Crick wrote:
Oddeye wrote:

The title is balanced absolutely horribly. The words are so far from one another that they seem unrelated, particularly "Chaos", which is sitting lonely by itself far off to the right. On top of that, the typeface they chose is a pretty overused and generic one that's fairly ill-suited to a black metal release like this, at least in the way its currently being presented. Also, why abbreviate the title like that if only to spell it out right under it? Did they really want people referring to the album as "M'Cock"?

Exactly. It pisses me off that it looks so fucking sloppy. Did they have some intern to do it or what? Or maybe the guy who did it was just shitfaced.

Mortaeus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:13 am 

Despite it being their worst album, I thought the artwork on Revelations was the most sinister and awesome.

This album will hopefully not disappoint. I think the production is getting a little too clean, much like the Demonoir. But that first track, Atomic Chapel, was fucking killer, shame all the other songs didn't match the intensity and awesomeness of that track. Beyond the Apocalypse kicked ass all around. A lot of thrashy riffs in 1349, I don't get the bashing against that. That's something I've always loved about them, they have a lot of thrash elements. It's more headbangin' black metal.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:12 pm 

Mortaeus wrote:
Despite it being their worst album, I thought the artwork on Revelations was the most sinister and awesome.

This album will hopefully not disappoint. I think the production is getting a little too clean, much like the Demonoir. But that first track, Atomic Chapel, was fucking killer, shame all the other songs didn't match the intensity and awesomeness of that track. Beyond the Apocalypse kicked ass all around. A lot of thrashy riffs in 1349, I don't get the bashing against that. That's something I've always loved about them, they have a lot of thrash elements. It's more headbangin' black metal.

Backing this up, 1349's thrashiness kicks ass!

Revelations their worst? Yeah I guess, "Serpentine Sibilance" and "Set the Controls" carry the rest of it. I'd be happy if m'coc had a Demonoirish sound, and songs that rival "Atomic Chapel" and "Devil of the Deserts". Can't forget that one!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:14 pm 

People see this so called thrashinesss in everything. I don't see how 1349 were ever any more "thrashy" than the average black metal. It's not like their quota of thrash/speed metal riffing was unusually high previous to this new material. Instead what I hear (apart from Norwegian 2nd wave tradition) is a ton of influence coming from 90s death metal.

Revelations is quite underrated imho. It's pretty experimental, but I think it mostly succeeds in being different in an interesting way. It combines ambient undercurrents with riffcraft reminiscent sometimes of Morbid Angel, sometimes of Monotheist-era CF/Triptykon, and it oozes dense, oppressive atmosphere. It's a fascinating beast, not at all the dud that some close-minded twats alienated fans see in it. The only real problem is that the individual songs are not accomplished enough to offer the same memorability as earlier 1349.

Gorblethorp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:38 pm 

Not a huge fan of the vocal production. Distorted vocals always feel like an attempt to hide a poor performance. Also, lol @ the deep-voiced narration in the chorus - I'd thought that trope was at least 7 years dead.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:54 pm 

I really like 1349 but I didn't dig that new song at all, maybe it was the vocals?
I'll play it again and get back you you ha ha :roll:

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:28 pm 

New song: http://www.revolvermag.com/news/1349-pr ... ldron.html

Pretty good actually!

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:03 pm 

I liked the first one much better. This one is like black metal 101.

MyopicEmpire
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:37 pm 

cant wait, i love these guys, saw them live last year on hellfest it was sick

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:58 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
I liked the first one much better. This one is black metal.

ftfy

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:07 am 

The second one sounds like the stuff that made people tout the band as the saviour of black metal in the mid 00s. Much better than the first track.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:22 am 

^ this. It's decent. Way better than the first.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:37 pm 

Here's another new song called "Exorcism": http://www.guitarworld.com/1349-premier ... -exclusive

Kinda thrashy and there's also a pretty rad bass solo around 4:25 or so. I dig it. Especially the riff just before it.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:10 pm 

I am REALLY digging all of the new songs that have been released, especially Slaves and Cauldron! I am so stoked for the new album. Hope the rest of the songs are of the same caliber!

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:20 pm 

Yup, sounds better than expected so far.

Cold Crashing Waves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:57 pm 

1349 hasn't really grabbed me since Hellfire, but I'm stoked for this. These songs are great.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next