Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Intraum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:27 am 

Just got around to listening to this today and I think it's pretty damn good. It's of the same quality of it's predecessor with nice injection of strong guitar and vocal melodies. Nicely produced as well. There is only like one song that I don't really care for (Ashes), but for the most part I'm really digging this. I like that it seems to be a more positive sounding album musically then a lot of other bands in the genre sometimes. It's not all doom and gloom all the time I suppose.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:57 am 

Jonpo wrote:
That's cool man, I'm glad you've found some really boring doom you enjoy! But to say that doom as a rule should be monotonous and tectonically slow is just wrong.

Well, two of my most favourite bands are Black Sabbath and Alice in Chains. So, yea, I've the slightest idea of interesting music and Pallbearer certainly falls under that radar. And people who are complaining about Pallbearer being soft kindly elaborate what's so soft about them or this album? Because they incorporate droning clean passages and soothing melodies over and over? Well, that's a trait of their sound and a lot of people seem to appreciate it. They are not making music to please a specified group. And to the morons who are complaining about their metalness, there are about 9 lumbering atonal riffs present in the 5 songs (excluding 'Ashes'). And I suppose doom metal riffs don't sound like this:

Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:25 am 

"They are not making music to please a specified group." Wow, what a bunch of unique snowflakes they are - this is supposed to change our minds how?

And no, the riffs don't sound like Demolition Hammer - no shit. Posting something diametrically opposite to the band we're discussing doesn't make us all look stupid like you wanted it to. In fact pretty much all your points are awful arguments and you need to just quit now.

doomster999

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:35 am 

Empyreal wrote:
"They are not making music to please a specified group." Wow, what a bunch of unique snowflakes they are - this is supposed to change our minds how?

Who told you to change your minds. You don't like them. Don't listen to them. As simple as that. And who am I to argue? Let's smoke a joint instead.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:57 pm 

sounds like a post-rock band trying to play Rev. Biz/Warning style to me

asmfc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:16 pm 

I don't see the big fuss about the album. Its droning, doesn't have a lot of riffs, but has nice melodies both guitar and vocal. It is probably boring to some people and some really enjoy it. I personally enjoy it, its not the best album in the world for sure, but there is to much frustration about it from both sides. Its just an album you will all forget in a while, hell i'll probably forget about it and play it again after 2-3-6 months. Also I don't see how this album is hipsterish, but I guess I am a hipster in denial who knows. And by the way for the guy posting demolition hammer, you do know it is possible to like both demolition hammer and this album and I am such a person so...

doomster999

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:21 am 

asmfc wrote:
And by the way for the guy posting demolition hammer, you do know it is possible to like both demolition hammer and this album and I am such a person so...

I've no idea what you're talking about! I love both Pallbearer and Demolition Hammer. So, what were you saying again? :scratch:

Last.fm

asmfc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:44 am 

I misunderstood you, my bad

doomster999

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:05 am 

I wonder when my review is going to be approved!? Because it's strange as my Opeth review which I did about 11-12 hrs ago got approved pretty quick. I guess it's partially offending to the previous reviewers or I guess what else. Maybe because Opeth fanboyism is allowed within this realm and Pallbearer fanboyism is almost forbidden! :-P Nevertheless, those who are interested can check it out here.

Last.fm

PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:07 pm 

Chaosmonger wrote:
sounds like a post-rock band trying to play Rev. Biz/Warning style to me

That's actually a good description. I don't think they sound much like Reverand Bizarre at all (Rev is much more connected to the classic doom sound... just stretched waaaay out) but they definitely fit the bill for Warning's style of cascading textures. Not nearly as crushing or packing of emotional weight, in my opinion, but definitely stylistically similar. Maybe Pallbearer would sound better with a deeper drum sound.

I'm surprised a lot of people taking issue with the song Ashes. It's definitely not a heavy doom metal song, but surprisingly it's one of the more well written ones on the album. A really heartwrenching melody and atmosphere. :p Maybe that's a sign that they should focus on lighter, more concise songwriting? I'm still a fan of the album as a whole, but I think they would have done better to open with The Ghost I Used to Be 'cause that song is genuinely bitchin' and as it stands right now the opening salvo of Worlds Apart, Foundations and Watcher in The Dark is a bit underwhelming. Worlds Apart is definitely the strongest of the three in my opinion, but there isn't anything really compelling about it.

The biggest issue I have with it is if you have heard this style before, even if it's just Sorrow & Extinction, you've kind of heard it all before. These guys need to work on writing some more distinctive riffs and melodies, because there's a certain sense of retread ground here. There's definitely some brilliant moments but they are buried amid mostly "duh" songwriting. A lot of it sounds like they just sat down and just went with the first ideas that came with them.

Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:28 pm 

doomster999 wrote:
And people who are complaining about Pallbearer being soft kindly elaborate what's so soft about them or this album?

soft: adj., lacking in impact or import (both); relatively deficient in hardness, as metal or wood.

For a musical object to move with a relatively high amount of energy (measured in this case in volume level and effects saturation, a la Foundations of Burden), but to land with little impact means that the substance of the object is lacking in density (i.e., softer). For a musical object to move with a relatively low amount of energy (using the same measures, a la The Monad of Creation), but to land with larger impact means that the object was more dense (i.e., harder).

Quite in contrast to your over-simplified and passive-aggressive straw man, I find Pallbearer's effectiveness to have a strong negative correlation with their level of musical intensity. Their calmer, lighter, and cleaner passages are their most evocative. Their "forceful" passages sound like self-conscious and nerfed aping of the bands that inspired them. While unable to make absolute statements about quality and taste, I strongly suspect that only inexperience could allow them the undeserved title of "masters."

doomster999

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:17 am 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
doomster999 wrote:
And people who are complaining about Pallbearer being soft kindly elaborate what's so soft about them or this album?

While unable to make absolute statements about quality and taste, I strongly suspect that only inexperience could allow them the undeserved title of "masters."

You can check out my taste here: http://www.last.fm/user/mistymaze57

Although I'm highly inconsistent as I still like my ancient Walkman :-P so the scrobbles are limited.

Secondly, I don't think I'm a rookie to doom metal as I am listening to Saint Vitus, Pentagram and Pagan Altar since my high-school days right after my classic rock and blues (Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Sabbath, Deep Purple, Iron Butterfly, Cream, Foghat, Savoy Brown, Blind Faith etc.) phase. It's a matter of taste. And as a matter of fact a large number of metal and non-metal (and I've got nothing against hipsters and such as they are not offending me in anyway) fans alike seem to appreciate the band. Of couse they are not at all as heavy as Burning Witch and Cough but they have doom riffs going on. Saying that "Their "forceful" passages sound like self-conscious and nerfed aping of the bands that inspired them." is like we're living in 70's or a musical renaissance phase. Every single band nowadays seem to emulate their influences. Some bands like Orchid seems to do that persistently. That's why in the last quarter of my review I've criticized your notion of "identity crisis". Check it out here as it's still not approved here on MA.

Last.fm

Last edited by doomster999 on Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
doomster999

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:41 am 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
For a musical object to move with a relatively high amount of energy (measured in this case in volume level and effects saturation, a la Foundations of Burden), but to land with little impact means that the substance of the object is lacking in density (i.e., softer). For a musical object to move with a relatively low amount of energy (using the same measures, a la The Monad of Creation), but to land with larger impact means that the object was more dense (i.e., harder).

I kind of missed that previously. Good analogy but are you implying that Mournful Congregation and Pallbearer are similar bands? Sure, their base is within the same style or even Brett Campbell could be seen sporting MC's shirt but Pallbearer are not at all predominantly extreme/funeral doom whereas Mournful Congregation deliberately are.

Last.fm

doomster999

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:35 am 

Best review so far: http://www.doommantia.com/2014/08/pallb ... urden.html

alongwith my review of course. :-P It seems not only semi-mainstream 'hipster' oriented webzines like Pitchfork or About but also a lot of dedicated underground blogs are hopping into Pallbearer bandwagon as well. Nice! :-D

Last.fm

Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:59 pm 

doomster999 wrote:
are you implying that Mournful Congregation and Pallbearer are similar bands? Sure, their base is within the same style or even Brett Campbell could be seen sporting MC's shirt

Nope, just defining my terms (Brett's try-y t-shirt name drop aside).

PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:20 pm 

I've been listening to this guy on the way home for the past week and I have to say it's been growing on me. I still maintain that the first half of the album is still pretty weak and the songwriting could be trimmed down a bit, but there's a lot to love in the way of rhythms, riffs and vocal melodies on Worlds Apart, Foundations and Watcher in The Dark.

And the album seems to be pretty well received among metal publications, although I tend to see M-A's user base as having a particularly unique taste, varied as it may be. :p That's not a bad thing, it's what I love about this place!

doomster999

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:19 am 

PvtNinjer wrote:
I've been listening to this guy on the way home for the past week and I have to say it's been growing on me. I still maintain that the first half of the album is still pretty weak and the songwriting could be trimmed down a bit, but there's a lot to love in the way of rhythms, riffs and vocal melodies on Worlds Apart, Foundations and Watcher in The Dark.

I agree that a minute or two could've been reduced from "Worlds Apart", "Watcher in the Dark" and "Vanished" but it's still a pretty strong record and far from boring. If you're looking for something boring then go listen to Dread Sovereign's All Hell's Martyrs.

Last.fm

putrenista
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:49 am 

Listening to "Cthulhu Opiate Haze" right now. Not boring.

doomster999

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:56 am 

putrenista wrote:

Listen to Pray to the Devil in Man demo first, then listen to All Hell's Martyrs and then tell me it's not boring.

Last.fm

Metantoine
The XVI, dominar to over 258714 subjects

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:58 am 

Eh, Dread Sovereign is perhaps boring but at least they have some fucking awesome vocals compared to Ballpearer.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Halberd (doom/death)

PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:31 pm 

I like the vocals. :(

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:53 pm 

solid album, but man after multiple listens it's not all that memorable to me.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:09 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Eh, Dread Sovereign is perhaps boring but at least they have some fucking awesome vocals compared to Ballpearer.

Meh, even Nemtheanga's vocals can't save Dread Sovereign from the same shitty tedium Ballpearer's second album suffers from. Both their full-lengths suck!

doomster999

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:31 am 

PvtNinjer wrote:
I like the vocals. :(

Same here. To each his own man. Just let the whiners wet their panties from now on.

Last.fm

putrenista
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:49 am 

doomster999 wrote:
putrenista wrote:

Listen to Pray to the Devil in Man demo first, then listen to All Hell's Martyrs and then tell me it's not boring.

I'll be honest, I haven't listened to the entire full length yet. I've heard the demo and thought that it was incredible though. I was just really feeling that song when I posted that. As for Pallbearer, I did check out the new album. Not bad. I can definitely see that one growing on me, but I still feel people are over overreacting in how they can't accept the band for creating the music they want to make regardless of how the media/critics are going to interpret it. I found that review on Doommantia to be rather insightful and it kinda put things in a new perspective for me. I'll have to go and check out their first album too. If I recall right I think I remember seeing that album listed in Rolling Stone's top 5 metal albums of 2012 list from their year-end issue a couple years ago. I don't have the magazine but I believe Converge, and possibly Clutch were on there too. Can anyone help me out with that?

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:08 am 

ColeMiner wrote:
Pallbearer seems to be the most hated band here. The album might not be amazing but I don't find it offending or anything so that I'd hate it.

I don't think they are the most hated band here by a long shot. It's just that this new album has been getting a ton of hype, especially from certain non-metal quarters of the internet, and it's natural that there's bound to be some push back against that.

I finally picked up the new album. I enjoyed the first one. This one is good, too, but I don't quite understand the level of praise it's getting. It's solid but not mind blowing.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3