Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ragman666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:07 am 

I love King Diamond as much as anyone and have been following him since the age of 12. I am now 39. He has promised to release his dvd years ago and all he has released is his Metal Blade, Massacre recordings over and over. Now he is re-releasing them and Abigail on 180gm coloured vinyl. Are you like me and sick and tired of King Diamond not releasing worthwhile material.

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:01 am 

No.

FloristOfVampyrism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:48 am 

He probably doesn't even know what a DVD is

super_ruben09
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:54 am 

Between Mercyful Fate and his solo career, King Diamond has put out more classics than most musicians could ever dream of. It's been more than 30 years since the first Mercyful Fate releases AND he underwent triple-bypass surgery just a few years ago, seeing the DVD would be cool but I don't really expect any more mindblowing releases from him. Give Me Your Soul wasn't bad, but if that's the calibre of material he's putting out now, I'd rather just have him tour.

Gor Lord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:09 am 

King Diamond has been near the very top of my all-time favorite artists for over twenty five years now. So much of his music has inspired me all through the years... and will continue to do so for as long as I can hear. While I agree that a DVD would be cool, I also feel that the man has done so much for us fans already... he really doesn't owe us a thing.

http://4-john-alexander.artistwebsites.com/

Buy my art. Hang it on your wall.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:46 am 

Agree with the last post. The man is an entertainer both live and on records. I never forget how big thing it was hearing Don't Break the Oath or Abigail for the first time. The Mercyful Fate dvd that has been talked for many years would be cool. And of course a new album, be it KD or MF. The Puppet Master was the best thing he's done since The Eye.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:38 am 

Gor Lord wrote:
King Diamond has been near the very top of my all-time favorite artists for over twenty five years now. So much of his music has inspired me all through the years... and will continue to do so for as long as I can hear. While I agree that a DVD would be cool, I also feel that the man has done so much for us fans already... he really doesn't owe us a thing.

I definitely agree with this post!!! King has been through a lot over the last few years, right now we should just be glad that he's still out there touring and even able to sing like that anymore, let alone as well as he does!! I believe that a live DVD is in the works, as King Diamond's set was not made available for streaming during the Bloodstock festival and it was admitted that the cancelled King Diamond show in Japan was intended to be used for a live DVD. Who knows really...I'm more excited about a new record. They seem to be taking their time with it, which is always a good sign!!

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:09 am 

With everything that has gone on with King in the past 5 or 6 years we need to take what we can get, when we can get it. I'm sure he will get that DVD released one day. Right now he is doing what he needs to do...tour and play festivals. This shit's not free. Making DVDs is probably not that cheap. Who knows how much his medical bills are since he just had triple bypass surgery two years ago!

*The bold was for the OP who must be out of the loop...who would post something like that knowing what King has been through in that past couple years?

Like your reviews?

Ritual_Suicide
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:33 am 

KD having triple bypass surgery is news to me. Didn't he also have surgery on his back a few years ago?

Exigence

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:35 am 

I don't care about the DVD. I want a new album. His new record contract is 2 years old now and still NOTHING from the KD camp. I thought he'd explode with creativity after his near death experience on the operating table. I still have my fingers crossed that the best is yet to come from Mr. King.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:54 am 

Ritual_Suicide wrote:
KD having triple bypass surgery is news to me. Didn't he also have surgery on his back a few years ago?

It was his back issue that eventually lead to them finding out that King had several heart attacks, albeit small ones, they were many and he had major blockage in his arteries. Had the triple bypass, quit smoking, did physical rehab and is brand new.

Exigence wrote:
I don't care about the DVD. I want a new album. His new record contract is 2 years old now and still NOTHING from the KD camp. I thought he'd explode with creativity after his near death experience on the operating table. I still have my fingers crossed that the best is yet to come from Mr. King.

That will take time. The way I see it, he's been touring the Euro-festivals for two years now to get a financial foothold in order to produce albums again....he needs to make as much cash and quickly. Like I said, shit ain't cheep even if it is the stripped down version of a recording process. He had nothing coming in the whole time he was sick. Give him some time and I think he'll grace us with some King Diamond and some Mercyful Fate. :D

Like your reviews?

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:06 pm 

I'm just glad he's alive and recuperating. He'll give us a new album when they're good and ready.

Gor Lord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:43 pm 

Either he will, or he won't. I HOPE he is able to bring us new music... as much as I hope he still has that fire to be inspired given all that he has been through. Like I said before though, he owes us NOTHING. Hail to the King!!

Ericfg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:26 pm 

ragman666 wrote:
Are you like me and sick and tired of King Diamond not releasing worthwhile material.

Yes, and I understand and completely agree with your frustration. I've made similar comments before and got slammed for them as well but yeah, that's how I feel, too. A once great band now just coasting along.

Flugeldufel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:24 pm 

I had tickets to see King Diamond and Kreator several years ago, but it was cancelled due to his back issues. Then he had surgery and I figured that would be it. But I've been really impressed by his recovery and it's just made me respect the man even more seeing how good he still is when making better life choices. I'd like some KD/MF DVDs as much as the next guy, but I'm just happy he's alive and kicking ass again. Like someone here said, he doesn't owe us anything.

NewVogueChild
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:22 pm 

Hasn't he said in a few recent interviews he hopes to at least have a non-concept based EP out around October this year.

To be honest I'd rather King re-released stuff than just release new stuff to please the fans, too many older bands do that and it shows with how shitty their output is.

~Guest 98561
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:00 pm 

ragman666 wrote:
I love King Diamond as much as anyone and have been following him since the age of 12. I am now 39. He has promised to release his dvd years ago and all he has released is his Metal Blade, Massacre recordings over and over. Now he is re-releasing them and Abigail on 180gm coloured vinyl. Are you like me and sick and tired of King Diamond not releasing worthwhile material.

Not so much. I don't really get that excited for anything new anymore (not just KD). I can see how someone that's a real hardcore fan would feel that way though, and there's nothing wrong with that. I spin his records a couple times a week and I'd sell my soul to see him live (his eponymous band or Mercyful Fate I don't care) but that's about it.

Flugeldufel wrote:
I had tickets to see King Diamond and Kreator several years ago, but it was cancelled due to his back issues. Then he had surgery and I figured that would be it. But I've been really impressed by his recovery and it's just made me respect the man even more seeing how good he still is when making better life choices. I'd like some KD/MF DVDs as much as the next guy, but I'm just happy he's alive and kicking ass again. Like someone here said, he doesn't owe us anything.

God damn I remember that. It was like 2007 / 8, I was crushed when it didn't work out man. But hey, you've gotta take care of your health. I had back surgery recently and that shit is no joke.

lupin99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:15 am 

While I respect and enjoy King Diamond years in Mercyful Fate, I am probably one of the few people who just doesn't like his solo stuff as much, to me his voice is a little more grating to my ear then in his years in Mercyful Fate.

DennisDemoniarch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:57 am 

Some albums have had more of a cheese factor perhaps compared to say Don't Break the Oath which felt seriously more attuned to the Occult and the Deviltry suggested by said album.

Over all though, you either like the King's voice or you don't I guess. I've bought every album from both bands and although some I like more than others I would over all say it has been a great listening experience.

Gor Lord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:25 am 

Quote:
Over all though, you either like the King's voice or you don't I guess. I've bought every album from both bands and although some I like more than others I would over all say it has been a great listening experience.

I completely agree man. The very first time I heard King Diamond (( back in early '88 )), I thought to myself...'this is one of the greatest guitarists I have ever heard, but that singer has to GO'. The second time I listened to KD, I had the lyric sheet in my hands and a set of headphones on. Once I listened to Abbigail while reading the lyrics, I 'got it'. I completely understood what King Diamond was all about. His music to me was like a heavy metal opera. His crazy vocal style finally made sense and I loved it. From that moment on, I was hooked.

Over the years, every time that I have recommended King Diamond to anybody who has never listened to him, I have cautioned them to read the lyric sheet while listening for the first time... otherwise his vocal style will make no sense whatsoever. I have turned many people into King Diamond fans over the years!

Hail the KING!

(( by the way... I STILL think Andy LaRocque is one of the greatest guitar players I have ever heard ))

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:17 pm 

^ No arguments there. His phrasing and note choice are killer and his rhythm chops are something to be admired too.

sparklewhooves1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:42 pm 

What is it with people like you thinking that you have the initiative to assume that a musician owes you something? The King has released masterpiece after masterpiece, as far as I'm concerned, he owes us absolutely nothing.

Ian “Lemmy” Kilmister of Motorhead - 2006

ragman666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:34 am 

All the people saying king diamond owes me something is totally missing the point i love king he is a musical genuis, this is what i mean,
l.[/quote]
Yes, and I understand and completely agree with your frustration. I've made similar comments before and got slammed for them as well but yeah, that's how I feel, too. A once great band now just coasting along.[/quote]

charles_ryder
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:21 am 

I like King's music but not his vocal, too much high for me. So I prefer Mercyful Faith - all their early albums are eternal classics.

ViF
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:31 am 

mercyful fate* and the vocals are identical twins.
you are already gods, without earthly desires. but one thing you want to know is that your own crash-dive is not in vain. regrettably, we will not be able to tell you the results. but i shall watch your efforts to the end and report your deeds to the throne

~Guest 336777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:34 am 

As a huge fan of King Diamond/Mercyful Fate, I'd much rather he not write new material and do the Bolt Thrower thing.
I don't wanna see him shit on his own legacy.

charles_ryder
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:02 am 

ViF wrote:

As for me, Mercyful Faith sounds much better:)
Yes, you sure, but it's sometimes harder to me listen to his shrieks.

Aralyon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:20 pm 

I've been a massive KD/MF fan since I first heard Oath years back. I was fortunate enough to see him live in 2003 on the Puppet Master tour. Subsequent shows and tours ended up being cancelled in my area due to either illness or his unfortunate back problems that sidelined him, then he started having the complications with his heart. I agree with previous posters who say that he owes us nothing: that is true. The string of classic albums between both of his bands is nearly unparalleled.

That being said, of late (2003 onward), there was always the promise of comprehensive DVD releases for both bands, and it kept getting pushed back, etc. While there may be complications with restoring the material, record companies/whatever, I do honestly find it hard to believe that these have not seen the light of day yet. Worthless bands pump out material, DVDs, like you would not believe, yet we see nothing from the KD. In regards to being asked about new Fate, it's always the same runaround, ("We've got one album left on our deal"...). Promises of new albums, tours, and it goes on and on. I honestly don't care what he decides to do but I wish he was a little more upfront about whatever was going to happen. Maybe he likes to keep everything shrouded in mystery, and that's fine but I honestly now take everything he says with a grain of salt. I'm also skeptical of the quality of the "upcoming" album and the likely addition of his wife as a "member of the band;" that likely spells doom if Give Me Your Soul was any indication of things to come.

ViF
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:45 pm 

charles_ryder wrote:
ViF wrote:

As for me, Mercyful Faith sounds much better:)
Yes, you sure, but it's sometimes harder to me listen to his shrieks.

i had to search on M-A to see if a " Mercyful Faith" was listed, it wasn't. who the hell are they?
you are already gods, without earthly desires. but one thing you want to know is that your own crash-dive is not in vain. regrettably, we will not be able to tell you the results. but i shall watch your efforts to the end and report your deeds to the throne

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:46 pm 

Maybe you should search for Merciful Faith instead of Mercyful Faith.

ViF
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:50 pm 

nope, still no result. it will remain a mystery til charles_ryder comes back.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:54 pm 

Aralyon wrote:
I've been a massive KD/MF fan since I first heard Oath years back. I was fortunate enough to see him live in 2003 on the Puppet Master tour. Subsequent shows and tours ended up being cancelled in my area due to either illness or his unfortunate back problems that sidelined him, then he started having the complications with his heart. I agree with previous posters who say that he owes us nothing: that is true. The string of classic albums between both of his bands is nearly unparalleled.

That being said, of late (2003 onward), there was always the promise of comprehensive DVD releases for both bands, and it kept getting pushed back, etc. While there may be complications with restoring the material, record companies/whatever, I do honestly find it hard to believe that these have not seen the light of day yet. Worthless bands pump out material, DVDs, like you would not believe, yet we see nothing from the KD. In regards to being asked about new Fate, it's always the same runaround, ("We've got one album left on our deal"...). Promises of new albums, tours, and it goes on and on. I honestly don't care what he decides to do but I wish he was a little more upfront about whatever was going to happen. Maybe he likes to keep everything shrouded in mystery, and that's fine but I honestly now take everything he says with a grain of salt. I'm also skeptical of the quality of the "upcoming" album and the likely addition of his wife as a "member of the band;" that likely spells doom if Give Me Your Soul was any indication of things to come.

Like I said previously (since it seems that you didn't see the above comments) King Diamond had multiple small heart attacks in 2010. He had to undergo triple bypass surgery then months of therapy. He lives in the USA so the hospital bills are probably astronomical. To do a comprehensive DVD collection is not cheap. He lives in the USA but has been touring Europe non stop since he got better. Why do you think that is? Maybe to pay his bills so he can be able to make the DVDs and put new albums out, etc. Cut the guy a break, ok? Some of you act like he owes you this shit! Don't give a fuck that his illness was life threatening or anything. We almost lose the King but you're bitching about him not living up to something he said before he had triple bypass surgery!! What kind of fan are you? If you were the "massive fan" you would not have said any of that shit!

Like your reviews?

Aralyon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:21 pm 

I know of the heart bypass situation but if I'm not mistaken, the dvd collections were slated to be released prior to him having heart surgery, i.e.: they were completed and had a loose timeframe of release (I think Spring ~2007/8 for the KD one and the subsequent December for the MF), then they were delayed for whatever reason. I don't really care if a dvd collection sees the light of day, if he does an album, or a tour. The man obviously has been through a lot. I'd personally like more transparency regarding upcoming activities, but that's just me.

As I said previously, and will so again for those of us who may have missed it: he owes us/fans absolutely nothing.

Reply to topic