Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Necrostalker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:39 pm 

Apparently,the very Varg uploaded these videos . The rest you can read at the descripton . (sorry if my english it´s misspelled)

Part I: "Spell of Destruction" riffs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u9Do9Dn0io

Part II; "Jesu Død" riffs (and one I forgot for "Spell of Destruction")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xEtWk8eo94

Part III; "Hvis Lyset tar oss" riffs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOAhaSUFiPs

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:55 pm 

Actually interesting, he picked some of his best songs. The part where he says (writes) that he had to dust off his guitar cause he hasn't played it in 2 years is just wrong.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:08 pm 

I opened this thread hoping for some Burzum tour dates lol

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:10 pm 

As much as I hate the man, it's funny to see these quirky videos complete with apologetic text and smiley faces. Really surprised more people aren't watching/discussing his videos.

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:23 pm 

Yeah, whatever else is going on or has gone on, it's really fun to see him being open and passionate about something, and is still passionate about his old music however much it might be made out that he wants to distance himself from it or his past or whatever.

Also, they sound like some kind of really melancholic soundtrack to some kind of really deep and meaningful Wild West/Indian movie. Interesting.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:39 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Actually interesting, he picked some of his best songs. The part where he says (writes) that he had to dust off his guitar cause he hasn't played it in 2 years is just wrong.

What makes you think so?

narsilianshard wrote:
As much as I hate the man, it's funny to see these quirky videos complete with apologetic text and smiley faces.
Had the same thoughts :lol:

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:48 pm 

I like the videos where he explains RPG mechanics with his kids acting out the actions, then they whack him with wooden swords.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:07 pm 

Folkemon_ wrote:
I opened this thread hoping for some Burzum tour dates lol

"Burzum, Live in Israhell" tour dates to be announced.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:17 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
As much as I hate the man, it's funny to see these quirky videos complete with apologetic text and smiley faces. Really surprised more people aren't watching/discussing his videos.

Yeah it's actually cool to see that Varg has some sort of sense of humor and can joke around a bit. He always seems so serious.

Like your reviews?

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:50 am 

Wheres the video where he explains why hes a murderer?

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:18 am 

interesting vids. i actually had him pegged as a much worse guitarist than that, for some reason (not that those riffs were really involved or anything). love the bit how he says "they don't tell you to do THAT", as if humming a melody over a rhythm is a new concept. stickin' it to the man, even when you're not!

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:38 am 

^ "Nobody recommends you do it that way..." Looked more like he was saying it was considered a bad technique (though he does say because you don't get money from it, whatever that means :P ) but he still did it anyway, however true that still is.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:32 am 

Ah, the good old table amp.

Xytras71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:03 am 

NecropsY wrote:
Wheres the video where he explains why hes a murderer?

He had it explained in details in "Lords of Chaos" book

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:55 am 

He's not as bad as a guitar player, especially since he doesn't seem to play black metal like riffs anymore. The Jesu Dod riffs are total boss!

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:30 am 

I thought he said previously he had no more interests in guitars or metal whatsoever....
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:53 pm 

I love it. It's great just to see him play the riffs and talk/write about the songs in general. 3 great songs!

Yayattasa wrote:
I thought he said previously he had no more interests in guitars or metal whatsoever....

I don't think he said that. He said that Burzum is no longer a metal project. That does not mean he cannot make videos showing the riffs from old songs. It wouldn't mean that even if what you said was 100% true :)

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:47 pm 

Source: http://www.burzum.com/burzum/library/interviews/varg/
Quote:
I recently heard a rumour that you now have a guitar in your cell, although you don't plan to use it on upcoming albums. In the past you have stated that you will no longer record any more 'metal music'. In relation to this, you have stated that you no longer want to play guitar anymore. To me this seems a bit strange – after all, bands who share similar views to your own and who you've mentioned in the past (Vidkuns Venner for example) play guitar-based music. And, of course, 'guitar-based' need not necessarily mean 'metal' music. After all, surely an electronic synthesizer is no more Nordic than an electronic guitar. Thus is it possible that you might use a guitar in the way you did on the later tracks on Filosofem, given the chance?

The guitar is an European invention, just like the synthesizer. However, the music played on guitar is mostly nigger music – and that goes definitely for all metal music. I have nothing against guitars, as you might know a lot of classical music is played on guitar. If I would make any more guitar music it would be classical music. So, it has nothing (or better; little) to do with the instrument in itself.

Basically, he admited he did not want to play metal anymore thanks to his racist bias.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:49 pm 

Yayattasa wrote:
Source: http://www.burzum.com/burzum/library/interviews/varg/
Spoiler: show
Quote:
I recently heard a rumour that you now have a guitar in your cell, although you don't plan to use it on upcoming albums. In the past you have stated that you will no longer record any more 'metal music'. In relation to this, you have stated that you no longer want to play guitar anymore. To me this seems a bit strange – after all, bands who share similar views to your own and who you've mentioned in the past (Vidkuns Venner for example) play guitar-based music. And, of course, 'guitar-based' need not necessarily mean 'metal' music. After all, surely an electronic synthesizer is no more Nordic than an electronic guitar. Thus is it possible that you might use a guitar in the way you did on the later tracks on Filosofem, given the chance?

The guitar is an European invention, just like the synthesizer. However, the music played on guitar is mostly nigger music – and that goes definitely for all metal music. I have nothing against guitars, as you might know a lot of classical music is played on guitar. If I would make any more guitar music it would be classical music. So, it has nothing (or better; little) to do with the instrument in itself.

Basically, he admited he did not want to play metal anymore thanks to his racist bias.

Um...that was when he was in Prison. Since that time he released three metal albums.

Like your reviews?

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:38 pm 

Yayattasa wrote:

Like mjollnir said, he already released 3 full-length metal albums, so obviously he changed his mind. But like I said: even if he now 100% reject all metal and guitar-based music, that still does not make him a hypocrite for demonstrating how to play the riffs of his old songs. It does not, unfortunately, signify a return to black metal.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:38 pm 

Yayattasa wrote:

Like mjollnir said, he already released 3 full-length metal albums, so obviously he changed his mind. But like I said: even if he now 100% reject all metal and guitar-based music, that still does not make him a hypocrite for demonstrating how to play the riffs of his old songs. It does not, unfortunately, signify a return to black metal.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:06 pm 

Well that's awfully nice of him. If Varg ever decided to sacrifice his artistic integrity and become a true capitalist pig, he could make some killer ad revenue with his Youtube vids. He wouldn't even have to try - they could be bland commentary videos, they'd still soar in views and YT ratings.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:12 pm 

These videos have a few thousand views each. Hardly enough to make a significant amount of money.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:13 pm 

I predict that these videos will have the most views on his channel. It's not only Burzum, but it's riffs from his most classic albums.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:18 pm 

mjollnir wrote:
Um...that was when he was in Prison. Since that time he released three metal albums.

Doesn't change the fact he said it himself.

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:50 pm 

Yayattasa wrote:
Doesn't change the fact he said it himself.

So we're not allowed to change our minds on anything?

I say lots of things about myself that I end up contradicting, personally. He was grumpy and in jail.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:20 pm 

^ that. varg talks a lot of absolute crap but one thing i won't hold against him is his right to go loopy in prison. you'd be hard-pressed to find someone NOT mentally affected in some way by the amount of isolation he was subjected to.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:25 pm 

If he did not back away from his views, we must assume he still hold them.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:41 pm 

Yayattasa wrote:

well not quite - if you've noticed what varg's said over the years, he reinterprets what he'd said a few years earlier to make it sound like it was all part of his original vision, even though he's clearly disowning a prior view without saying it outright. not that i guess we could call that honourable, but fucked if i care.

but more to the point, are you really holding a 40-something-year-old to what he said as a teenager? fuck, i'm 30 now and i absolutely baulk at the mere mention of shit i did as a teenager. and i haven't been in the public sphere for that time. i guess what i'm saying is get a grip, guy. varg's no angel but he still deserves the same kind of fair play you'd afford yourself.

Necrostalker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:12 pm 

raumr wrote:
Yayattasa wrote:

So it means that he was not a racist at that time of the first album ?

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:30 pm 

MonumentalBlackArt wrote:
These videos have a few thousand views each. Hardly enough to make a significant amount of money.

You obviously aren't paying attention to the circumstances. 20k views and over a thousand likes accumulated in less than 48 hours on an unadvertised Youtube channel that rarely uploads videos? That's an enormous pull, bud. Many established YT'ers who exist purely to generate ad-revenue don't have nearly as much trafficking ability. If he actually any put effort towards it, those numbers would increase dramatically.

Sorry, just a tangent.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:08 pm 

Yayattasa wrote:

Can you explain to me what point you're trying to make? Are you saying that he is contradicting himself by playing old riffs on the guitar? You're mentioning facts, quoting Varg, but can you please be more explicit? I get that you're holding him accountable, but what for?

Necrostalker wrote:
So it means that he was not a racist at that time of the first album ?

o_O That's not what I said at all. Maybe he was, maybe not. I don't know, and I didn't claim to know.

Necrostalker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:19 pm 

Well this is getting confused for me . :scratch:

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:54 pm 

@Yayattasa: People are not machines and can change their minds at the drop of a hat. If someone's acting differently in regards to something they said nearly two decades ago then I tend to just assume they don't still hold those views unless they still say to the contrary. And even then I don't expect Varg of all people to be the most consistent and prefer to simply enjoy him showing us something like this whatever else he might say or claim.
To be fair to you though I think he still kind of holds those views and that's why he's transitioned to folk now. But imo it's also kinda silly to get hung up on.

@Necrostalker I think you just misread raumr's post that you initially responded to...

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:37 pm 

teh_Foxx0rz wrote:
@Yayattasa: People are not machines and can change their minds at the drop of a hat. If someone's acting differently in regards to something they said nearly two decades ago then I tend to just assume they don't still hold those views unless they still say to the contrary. And even then I don't expect Varg of all people to be the most consistent and prefer to simply enjoy him showing us something like this whatever else he might say or claim.
To be fair to you though I think he still kind of holds those views and that's why he's transitioned to folk now. But imo it's also kinda silly to get hung up on.

I didn't. I'm just stating the obvious.
Point 1: He think the guitar is the most used instrument for n* music.
Point 2: He says metal is half-alien.
Point 3: He's a bigot racist.
Yeah, if he still plays metal then he is a hypocrite.

It may sound good or whatever, I'm not talking about his skill or about any possible enthusiasm his videos caused among his fans.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:33 am 

That's very nice of him to demonstrate his riffs out of the blue! It's hard to imagine that after all this years, this is the first time I've seen a video of Varg playing an instrument.

DullMetalJacket
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:47 am 

I'm not about to get caught up in talking about this guy's view on things. Shit gets redonk quick. But this is pretty interesting to me. Varg (Kristian, lol) has always kind of seemed like this intangible human being. Upon seeing these videos though, and reading his responses to people online, he is suddenly rendered a real person in my eyes. I could actually contact him—maybe get an internship on his farm. Haha. Before, he seemed like a caricature of black metal, a character of legendary folktale.

Makes me wanna learn some Burzum songs on guitar, record a video of me playing them, send him a message, be like, "wassup nigga? check out mah mo'fuckin remix".

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:33 am 

Yayattasa wrote:
teh_Foxx0rz wrote:

I didn't. I'm just stating the obvious.
Point 1: He think the guitar is the most used instrument for n* music.
Point 2: He says metal is half-alien.
Point 3: He's a bigot racist.
Yeah, if he still plays metal then he is a hypocrite.

It may sound good or whatever, I'm not talking about his skill or about any possible enthusiasm his videos caused among his fans.

If he changed his views on the matter at hand he isn't a hypocrite though. Or if we were all to stand by everything we said in the past we're all hypocrites. I'm not saying one thing or another here though. I don't share Vargs ideology but I'm not stupid enough to think that he has to stand up for everything he has said in his past and stick to them either. People change, for good or for bad. He seems like a man who lives by what he believes and if that is the case I'm more inclined to think he simply changed his mind on this one thing. No big deal.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:01 am 

varg says all manner of shit; he's also gone on record as saying the only reason he didn't make metal albums in prison was because he wasn't allowed to have a guitar. but that's really not the point - we already covered that yes, he went back on his word. but to be taken seriously you need to present a fucking argument sensibly, too. for example, yayattasa's points #2 and #3 there have basically nothing to do with the matter at hand. hell, #3 is just plain ol' slander, regardless of how true it may be. if the internet is about trying to convince people you're right (and if it isn't, i don't know what it's for at all), you gotta pick up your game.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:31 pm 

Point 3 goes with Point 1&2. He could have said metal is half-"alien" and he enjoys/respect "alien" culture, but that was not what he meant to say.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next