* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Mike_64
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:23 am 

http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/01/16/ex ... qus_thread

Quote:
...Planned for 2012, then pushed to 2013 and still holding, The Crown’s eighth is unbearably late. So we checked in with Lindstrand for the latest on this follow-up to their trio of death n’ roll classics that started with Deathrace King (2000) and culminated with Possessed 13 (2003).

Though ten long years have passed since P13, The Crown, says Lindstand, has locked back into their tested ways: “The songs have come together in the same way since 24 years back. Marko [Tervonen, guitars] and Magnus [Osfelt, bass] have written separately before unveiling it to the rest of us.”

“Probably” to be titled Death Is Not Dead, the album will benefit from an unrushed creation process. “We’ve done this a couple of times now, and we don’t have any pressure or deadlines to follow,” says Lindstrand. “We’ve had lots of time to find those great tracks hidden in our inner self. I think the key to releasing good albums is to have time to really digest the songs and riffs that are written, to get a bit of distance from them before going ahead and releasing them. If a song is as good as it was a year ago, it’s probably good enough to end up on the album.”

That’s modest of Lindstrand; the magic of The Crown is that their songs sound better and more impressive with every passing year. The 11 or 12 new tracks we can anticipate a growing dependance on include “Headhunter,” “Iblis Bane,” “Horrid Ways,” and “Ride For Ruin.” But will we wait much longer for Death? Wasn’t it projected for release last year? Lindstrand: “Hehe, yeah, the plan was to release it in spring 2012 [in] Marko’s own words when he re-recruited me at the end of 2011. But shit got in the way, so to speak: A couple of important shows … as well as problems with the previous guitar player.”

Twice Lindstrand has stepped away from The Crown — once replaced by At The Gates’ Tomas Lindberg for 2002’s Crowned In Terror, then in 2010 by Jonas Stalhammer for Doomsday King — but their 2014 album will mark their first change to their guitarist corps. Joining Tervonen is Robin Sorqvist, whose enlistment solves a chemistry problem, hints Lindstrand: “[Sorqvist] has definitely contributed more energy and positive vibes [and] showed that he really wants to be a part of this amazing five-piece unit. He’s not only a great guitar player, but also a really good old friend; we’re on the same level on all things, which feels amazing.”

Current status of Death? Nearly complete, Linstrand reports. “There might be some more lyrics to write as well as arranging the leads, but … we’re pretty close to the end of the process. Me and Robin will probably start recording our stuff any time now.”

Totally. Fucking. Pumped. :hyper:

I've been waiting for this album for years now and once I heard Johan rejoined I became ecstatic. Johan says "probably" titled Death is Not Dead but he's referred to it as such on the band's official facebook page a number of times. I'm expecting a masterpiece considering all the time they've had to write this thing and hopefully it will be out this year... *fingers crossed*

Well, that's not uncommon at all. Many people go on 4chan in order to get off.

NARAKU666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:30 pm 

I don't know what to expect from this album. Crowned in terror and Deathrace king were to of the more badass albums i ever heard, Possessed 13 was ok but not as catchy as their previous two and Doomsday king... well, i dont wanna bitch about the "christian lyrics", but it feels weird to find a certain halo of regret for their "old satanic ways" in some the songs and the riffs werent THAT special. I hope Tervonen comes back with new ideas and killer riffs, otherwise it would be very sad to include The Crown to the list of "has been" bands.

https://www.facebook.com/KothRising

J_Ason
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:46 pm 

I just noticed the Crown of Thorns albums are listed on the MA The Crown page just because they've been reissued with the name "The Crown" smacked on them. That doesn't seem right.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:28 pm 

The Crown is a solid band, but usually, when an outfit takes so long to release a record, it doesn't end up being anything special. Well, the last Persuader was pretty damn cool, but that's more of an exception to the rule than anything.

Eh, I'll still check it out, just to satiate my curiosity.

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:56 am 

J_Ason wrote:
I just noticed the Crown of Thorns albums are listed on the MA The Crown page just because they've been reissued with the name "The Crown" smacked on them. That doesn't seem right.

No, you're right, and thanks for bringing that up. I've removed them.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Mike_64
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:26 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
The Crown is a solid band, but usually, when an outfit takes so long to release a record, it doesn't end up being anything special. Well, the last Persuader was pretty damn cool, but that's more of an exception to the rule than anything.

Eh, I'll still check out, just to satiate my curiosity.

Very true. Just the fact that Johan is back in the band is enough to make me check them out. As for the lyrics on Doomsday King, I'm a Christian so obviously I don't mind. But as far as Christian lyrics go, those were pretty good compared to your typical, preachy lyrics of most Christian metal bands. I know Magnus Olsfelt wrote like 99% of all the material from the last two albums so it could be that he's the only Christian one in the band. But that's another topic for another time (I don't want to turn this into a religious debate thread).

But The Crown has always had that sort of tongue-in-cheek satanic rock n roll feel musically and lyrically so hopefully there will be music more akin to the first three albums. :)

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:08 am 

This piece of news doesn't excite me much. I used to love the Crown back then when I was getting into metal but eventually I came to the realization that they have few very good songs but most of their material seems repetitive or uninteresting. I feel they lack a solid body of work, an album that slays from beginning to end.

They've got a great rock n roll / punk vibe going on, I'll give them that. Let's see how the new material shapes up.

Jebator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:09 am 

I couldn't care less about the christian lyrics, but the thing that bothered me most about "Doomsday King" was the lack of passion. The songs were too formulaic, too safe, the excitement in the guitar work and solos department was really lacking.

Ofcourse I'm looking forward to the new album, but the passion, unpredictability and joy in playing needs to come back, for the album to be as good as the first 5 albums.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:44 am 

About the christian thing, i googled it because i couldnt believe it and heres what i got from an interview

Quote:
Say, I noticed that some fans of the album reacted in an interesting way to its lyrics. Is Doomsday King a Christian-themed album in any way?

[laughs] What do you think?

I think it’s impossible.

[laughs] Actually, I remember when I started seeing that [kind of] of comment, I couldn’t believe my eyes. I was like, “What the fuck is this?’ [laughs] Like we became Christian [laughs]! It’s a lot of fun. We are glad so much about it. It’s silly.

I really don’t know [the reason for that reaction]. Some lyrics, of course, are written in a provocative way, you could almost say. I remember Magnus mentioning this very early that it’d be fun to sorta provoke the Satanic metal heads. Obviously it worked [laughs]. I definitely wouldn’t call the lyrics Christian; that’s fucking ridiculous [laughs].

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:46 pm 

I've really been looking forward to this album so it's great to hear that it's finally on the way.

Doomsday King was kind of a dissapointment even if some of the songs were good but all their other albums are awesome in their on way. And actually I have a very soft spot for Crowned In Thorns with Tompa. That record is just so badass.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:29 pm 

? Tompa was with them for Crowned In Terror... and the re-recorded version with Lindstrand was called Crowned Unholy. lol.

I'm not excited. Possessed 13 was noticeably less interesting than Crowned In Terror and Deathrace King, and Doomsday King was entirely passionless and generic; a comparatively awful comeback. Best days are far, far behind them.

Mike_64
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:02 pm 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... nt_count=1

https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 2207_n.jpg

I can't figure out how to post the picture but here's a "sneak peak" of the album cover. According to their facebook, the album is nearly done.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:55 pm 

Could be good, you never know. But yeah, the band hasn't been itself, let alone its good old self, for a long time, now. Their last wholly awesome album was 14 years ago. 'Crowned in Terror' was pretty good in and of itself, but it wasn't really [The] Crown [Of Thorns]. 'Possessed 13' was a pretty big letdown, and while 'Crowned Unholy' was an interesting re-recording that's fun to spin every now and then, they still haven't offered any new material anywhere near the greatness of their classic period (the first four, obviously) for a decade and a half. 'Doomsday King' wasn't horrible but it didn't have the Crown feel and seriously lacked inspiration and energy.

Maybe now they'll manage to recapture the magic, with the true voice of the band back in the fold yet again, but I'll believe it when I hear it. Until then, I'm not holding my breath.

Bullshit Sucks wrote:
follow-up to their trio of death n’ roll classics that started with Deathrace King (2000) and culminated with Possessed 13 (2003)

:???:
shouvince wrote:
I feel they lack a solid body of work, an album that slays from beginning to end.

You mean something like 'The Burning' into 'Eternal Death' into 'Hell is Here' into 'Deathrace King'? Yay, rite.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:26 pm 

shouvince wrote:
I feel they lack a solid body of work, an album that slays from beginning to end.

I'd say Crowned in Terror comes the closest to this (yes, the one with Tomas Lindberg, partly for that reason).

Folkemon_ wrote:
About the christian thing, i googled it because i couldnt believe it and heres what i got from an interview

So they thought it would be funny to write a bunch of overtly Christian lyrics :???: No more stupid than "Satanic" lyrics I suppose. Regardless, that album was dull and lacking passion anyway, as said in a previous post.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:18 am 

SculptedCold wrote:
? Tompa was with them for Crowned In Terror... and the re-recorded version with Lindstrand was called Crowned Unholy. lol.

Yes of course, haha. Sorry for the typo.

~Guest 178973
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:18 am 

I really only care for Deathrace King and Crowned Unholy - the production on the original one I feel holds it back in comparison - but those two are some of my favourite death metal albums. I'll probably get around to giving this a cursory listen when it comes out, but I won't get my hopes up. They're obviously, certainly, not a bad band by any means, but at the same time...there's something that makes Possessed 13 and especially Doomsday King feel lazy, I guess the word could be. As if they knew they hit upon a good formula and thus didn't care to make it great. But who knows, I've been positively surprised before.

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:09 pm 

HELL IS HERE ruled!!!

Mike_64
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:28 am 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=693242120741837

Video of The Crown recording a cover of Paradise Lost's "Eternal" from the album Gothic

Don't care for the music but Johan's vox sound as rough and vicious as ever.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:50 am 

Revolution 666!

Nothing's as good as their old Crown of Thorns albums/the early The Crown stuff, but I'll probably check this out anyway.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:33 am 

Mike_64 wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=693242120741837

Video of The Crown recording a cover of Paradise Lost's "Eternal" from the album Gothic

Don't care for the music but Johan's vox sound as rough and vicious as ever.

that actually sounds pretty cool. Hopefully it's a mid tracklist "interlude" on the new album, kind of in the way "Scottish Hell" was on Entombed's Uprising.

Mike_64
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:10 pm 

From The Crown's Facebook page:

Quote:
Bonus CD for the digipack version:

1. We Come In Peace
2. Unfit Earth (Napalm Death)
3. Agent Orange (Sodom)
4. Candles - Burn Again (re-recording)

The notion of Johan doing Agent Orange cover sounds like a damn good idea if you ask me!

On a side note, The mixing process is done according to their Facebook page.

Mike_64
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:09 pm 

http://www.thecrownofficial.com/

New album details!

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:03 pm 

Mike_64 wrote:
SIAP

Scandinavian Institute of Aviation Psychology? Statistical Institute for Asia and the Pacific?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:13 pm 

Systematic Infiltration of Armenian Press, obviously.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:16 pm 

Thread title edited because no one has ever said "SIAP" except for the OP and the guy who wrote the urbandictionary entry for the term, who could very well be the same person.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Mike_64
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:26 pm 

I thought it was common knowledge that it meant "sorry if already posted"

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:02 am 

Here it is MAGSBPFMOTOCTTHABP.

You can see why it is not often used.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:30 am 

Any one else hear this yet? It has some alright moments, but overall I found it really poorly produced and boring. Sure it had thrashy drums and the melodies and riffs were in the right scales and did the "right things" but it just seemed so monotonous and flat to me. The big problem was there just really wasn't enough catchy hooks, most of the tracks content to just kind of amble along. I'm not a huge fan of The Crown, but I think Deathrace King is a really fun album, but this material is way off the mark compared to that stuff.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:20 pm 

I just listened to it the first time. The "singles" are the worst songs on the album in my opinion and there are some really great tunes on it aswell (Herd of Swine and Ride To Ruin for example).

So far it's a 3/5 but I will have to give it a few more spins before I give my final verdict.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:19 pm 

I heard it. It's extremely bland and came off pretty much as a paint-by-numbers Swedish death/thrash album. Also Johan's vocals are nowhere near as ferocious as they used to be. Jonas Stalhammer's performance on Doomsday King was much better, but I didn't care for that one and not even he would have saved this album. The couple of decent songs don't make up for the rest that are beyond forgettable.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:44 pm 

I think this album could have used a little bit more groove, break up the monotony with a little bit of interesting rhythmic variation. Also, the snare drum sound is absolutely horrible. In fact, I thought the album sounded really weak overall for a band of their stature. I would have hoped for a much better production job. Still, the album isn't without it's charms, there's decent moments scattered about, but nothing to get excited about.

Infinite_dreamer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:06 am 

Damn, how did I miss this? Have to get this soon & the limited edition version!
I've been a fan of The Crown (Of Thorns) since The Burning, and yes, they probably haven't released a truly killer album for 15 years (damn that makes me feel old) since Deathrace King, but I'm always optimistic about the next album (more fool me perhaps)

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:53 pm 

I think I was a little hard on this album as it's grown on me as it's become a little more familiar. I think the biggest problem this album has is it kind of ruins it's momentum a lot of times. The main riff in Iblis Bane is a good example. Pretty cool, if a bit standard, melodic main riff, but on the last bar they do this weird galloping chug thing that just ruins the momentum of the whole thing.

EDIT: They do it again in Speed Kills. Pretty awesome and catchy main riff and then the verse comes in... What the fuck is that? I'm not against chugging per se, but it just seems so poorly implemented here.

Last edited by PvtNinjer on Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:52 am 

Digipak version has leaked, listening to "Agent Orange" now...

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:23 am 

Got the Digipak yesterday, too early to say if it's great or not, but so far the tunes Iblis Bane and Struck by Lightning are pretty solid. The Paradise Lost cover is different to say the least. I will be spinning this most of the day today. After a good digestion of the music I will have a better feel if it's any good. Unfortunately upon quick listen last night nothing really left me floored.

Reply to topic