Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:44 pm 

From their Facebook page. I don't know whether to be happy or shake my head.

Like your reviews?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:49 pm 

Be happy! They are one of the few bands who can still write great metal tunes.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:50 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:

Yeah, but can they pull it off. Halford's participation on the Dio tribute was not that great and Nostradamus was pretty meh. We'll have to see I guess.

Like your reviews?

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:57 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:

Eeeeeeeeh.....

On the other hand, I do feel somewhat intrigued by this. I mean, it's Priest.

Exigence

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:43 pm 

I'd rather have 100 mediocre new Priest albums than anything from the usual crap power/trad metal that gets fellated here. You can take your Noble Beast, Helstar, Manilla Road, Atlantean Kodex, Enforcer, Katana and various KIT bands and wedge them under the boot of the mighty Priest.

And I don't give a shit if KK isn't there.

adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:48 pm 

They haven't done anything that's impressed me since Painkiller so here's hoping the new album turns out to be a winner. I'm sure it'll have at least a few worthwhile songs in either case.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:56 pm 

Exigence wrote:
I'd rather have 100 mediocre new Priest albums than anything from the usual crap power/trad metal that gets fellated here. You can take your Noble Beast, Helstar, Manilla Road, Atlantean Kodex, Enforcer, Katana and various KIT bands and wedge them under the boot of the mighty Priest.

Exigence, I have come to ask myself..... Do you go out of your way to make people hate you? Because no one, and I repeat, no one cares if you hate USPM or like stuff that's generally deemed as mediocre around these parts.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:46 pm 

longevity is a shitty thing

Exigence

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:54 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Exigence, I have come to ask myself..... Do you go out of your way to make people hate you? Because no one, and I repeat, no one cares if you hate USPM or like stuff that's generally deemed as mediocre around these parts.

To answer your question, yes and no. So many threads here make my head hurt but I do not post in them. Then it all kinda explodes when I do participate in something I'm interested in (i.e. a new Priest album). And then part of me thinks maybe some kid who is new to the forum, someone like myself at age 15, will read what I typed and realize the kind of music usually praised on metal forums is truly terrible and that it's okay to just like the 'entry level' (blergh!) bands.

Yeah, like everyone's opinions, no one cares. I understand that. But you never know who is reading...

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:02 pm 

I'm a huge Priest fan from way back but the stuff they've put out since reuniting with Halford is subpar by their standards, even though I feel people are a bit too harsh about it. I wouldn't go as far as Exigence, but I do feel they are more relevant than a majority of modern/power metal acts.

There's just one thing: I don't really buy that they can do that without KK Downing. Angel of Retribution and Nostradamus were just decent. I'm doubtful they will even reach that level of quality without KK.

Exigence

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:11 pm 

I'm not fanboy blind. There's only 2 good songs off Nostradamus I come back to ever (Revelations, Prophecy). However, I do love all of AoR but I spent a lot of time with that CD in 2005. There wasn't a lot of good metal that year....and simple traditional songs like "Wheels of Fire" never get old to me. Only "Lochness" left me completely cold but that was easy to avoid since they had the good sense to put it at the end.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:26 pm 

Exigence wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

To answer your question, yes and no. So many threads here make my head hurt but I do not post in them. Then it all kinda explodes when I do participate in something I'm interested in (i.e. a new Priest album). And then part of me thinks maybe some kid who is new to the forum, someone like myself at age 15, will read what I typed and realize the kind of music usually praised on metal forums is truly terrible and that it's okay to just like the 'entry level' (blergh!) bands.

Yeah, like everyone's opinions, no one cares. I understand that. But you never know who is reading...

Priest isn't "entry level" metal (gods, how I hate that term). They're a bloody classic band. No one says that it's wrong to like them or anything like that. It's just that people understandably find their more recent output to be by far inferior to Priest's older material.

As for your other point.....

Though in all seriousness, wouldn't this be a very boring place if we were all stuck just talking about the first five or six bands everyone listens to when they start getting into metal?

Though I digress. I'm getting more than a bit off-topic, it seems.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:28 pm 

Noble Beast's self-titled album is better than anything Priest has put out since Painkiller.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:35 pm 

ObservationSlave wrote:
Noble Beast's self-titled album is better than anything Priest has put out since Painkiller.

Agreed. If the last four records didn't have the name Judas Priest on the cover no one would have given the music any time of day.

prisonerofourtime
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:40 pm 

I hope sounds a mix between 'Painkiller' and old stuff, rest albums after are good but not epic as 'Painkiller' though last Priest breath.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:02 pm 

I though Priest were retiring after the their last tour? Ahh well I guess some people just can't give up the lifestyle, either way new Priest is always welcome and hopefully it won't suck balls like Nostradamus.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:17 pm 

As far as I recall, their last statement just said they wouldn't do any more world tours, just smaller tours and albums from that point forward.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:06 pm 

What's wrong with Helstar and Manilla Road?

Anyway, I am interested in hearing this new Priest album. Saw them live in 2011 and Halford was still hitting all the high notes.

gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:11 pm 

I must be a Priest fan in reverse. Unconventional. My favourites are Defenders, Ram It Down and Nostradamus. I didn't care much for anything before Screaming....other than odd tracks here and there.

Result of this: Pumped for the new one.

What the hell is wrong with me.

I will please entry anus
Oh my god! Give me spicy pussy
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

beyondtheblack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:18 pm 

Now THIS is serious!!! I do hope they follow up with at least some concerts... :love: :bow:

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:23 pm 

I've unzipped already. This will almost certainly be the last hurrah from my favourite band.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:44 pm 

Exigence wrote:

I'll take Manilla Road over Junkulator or that other one on any day... :p

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:54 pm 

It'd be a dream if they returned to their Ram It Down sound, that'd shock everybody for the next few years.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:02 pm 

If KK wanted to retire from touring that's fine, but him not being on the album feels kind of wrong.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:34 pm 

I think KK cited friction with the management and quit music altogether... at least that was the "official" story.

mind you, as he, Rob, Glenn and Ian are all in their 60s, I'm kinda surprised the others didn't follow suit...

this album better deliver! \m/

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:08 pm 

They'll probably play it safe for this one. If it's good as Angel of Retribution, I'll be happy.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:34 pm 

Ughhh.

I really have extremely low expectation for Judas Priest. Unless the new guy can pull something fresh out of his ass, I doubt this is going to be interesting.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:04 am 

New Priest is always something to look forward to. Liked AoR. Judas Rising alone made that album an instant winner.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:24 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
They'll probably play it safe for this one. If it's good as Angel of Retribution, I'll be happy.

THIS.

AOR is a pretty good album with some awesome tunes, also the are not so good ones, but come on, we cant expect a super classic album when they are in their 60s. If they release something similar to Judas Rising I will be a happy boy.

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:41 am 

AoR didn't do anything other than have Priest being Priest. Nostrodamus wasn't my thing but if the new on is anything like AoR I'll be happy enough. Rob sounds pretty shrill these days though so I don't know, but I"m sure they can do some studio magic.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:54 am 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/rob-ha ... -finished/
Quote:
Speaking to VH1 Radio Network's Dave Basner, Halford said about what fans can expect from JUDAS PRIEST's next LP: "We felt it was very important to follow up [2008's] 'Nostradamus', the last release, and that was a concept experiment and it was a real success for us and the fans loved it, but I think our fans and ourselves as a band, we want to get back to the side of PRIEST that we haven't heard for a few years and reemphasize and remake those big, heavy metal statements again."

I'm doubtful that the new record will be anything worth more than a cursory listen, especially without KK, but I am interested to hear what they've come up with.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:31 pm 

I can't say I'm excited, but of course, a new Judas freakin' Priest album demands some attention. AoR was a more-than-decent metal album, I doubt they will be able to replicate that energy without KK, but who knows...They are a tad too old to incorporate new members to the dinamic of the band, surely the new guy won't have an important place in the composition

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

NorthernDarkness6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:20 pm 

aloof wrote:
Exigence wrote:

I'll take Manilla Road over Junkulator or that other one on any day... :p

Judas Priest is my favorite but Manilla Road is outstanding also. In this interview from 2000, Mark Shelton praises Jugulator. "Could you name your favourite three books, movies and albums? ---- For the literature that would be about everything by robert e. howard (the creator of conan the barbarian - the author), h.p. lovecraft (master of substile horror, made the cthulu-mythos popular - the author), 'macbeth' and 'hamlet' by shakesspeare and 'the hanes taliesin' (got to pass here, but i think usually taliesin is the merlin of the artus-saga - the author). oh, sorry, that already were more than three. no problem. - ok, for the movies that would be 'jason and the argonauts', 'braveheart', 'from beyond' and all audie murphy-western movies. and again it's four favourites.. no problem, just go on like that.. - new music: the soundtrack of james horner of 'braveheart', voivod with 'negatron', 'jugulator' by judas priest and 'nemesis' by grip inc." http://truemetal.org/manillaroad/heavyint.html

Also, at this link you can see Mark Shelton with a Judas Priest patch. Online the photo is not too clear but I once owned this issue so I know it's a JP patch. http://france.metal.museum.free.fr/revu ... age_72.htm

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:44 pm 

Be honest, how many bands really release anything worthwhile, much less worthy of "classic" status when they're forty years into their career*? Like, I think Priest kinda fluked out with making Painkiller so late in their career. It's a bigger and dumber album than any of their others but I have more fun listening to it than any other Priest album. Angel of Retribution was boring as hell and Nostradamus is overbloated shit. I would be happy with a "just Priest being Priest" album anywhere from 1976 to 1990, but a band just going through the motions while they're young and in their creative prime is going to yield more energetic and interesting results than the same people putting in the same amount of effort when they can legally retire from literally any job on the planet. Just like with Running Wild, I'll give it a listen as a curiosity but I'm expecting absolutely nothing.

* - Anybody who mentions Manilla Road is lying to themselves and anybody who mentions The Devil You Know is also full of it :p
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:47 pm 

I'm kind of interested, but I just don't expect this to be any good. I'm sure it'll be more "classic" Priest sounding than that overlong, bloated piece of shite that they released a while ago... but I still don't expect much from this.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:47 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Be honest, how many bands really release anything worthwhile, much less worthy of "classic" status when they're forty years into their career*?

Rush. :D

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:20 pm 

Quote:
I didn't care much for anything before Screaming....

Really? I don't know if I've ever met a metal fan who didn't like 'Sad Wings' or 'Stained Class'...

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:23 pm 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:
Quote:
I didn't care much for anything before Screaming....

Really? I don't know if I've ever met a metal fan who didn't like 'Sad Wings' or 'Stained Class'...

Oddly enough, I think they're both massively overrated sacred cows (even if Exciter is one of the best songs ever), but Sin After Sin is pretty much the untouchable classic for me.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:57 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Be honest, how many bands really release anything worthwhile, much less worthy of "classic" status when they're forty years into their career*?

Rush. :D

^^ This.

I will please entry anus
Oh my god! Give me spicy pussy
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:16 pm 

Exigence wrote:
I'd rather have 100 mediocre new Priest albums than anything from the usual crap power/trad metal that gets fellated here. You can take Sabaton and wedge them under the boot of the mighty Priest.

There ya go Exigence. Fixed it for ya!

ObservationSlave wrote:

Absolutely. I don't have high hopes for this at all.

Like your reviews?

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next