Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:33 am 

Expedience wrote:

It's silly by Opeth standards. Just listen to the first 30 seconds, it sounds like circus music.

After about 8 listens, this is weaker than Heritage for me.

At first listen I thought it was weaker than Heritage and felt like a 2 out of 5. But it kinda sounded better after a couple of listens. I guess my review sums it up. It's just stale, nothing more, nothing less. Has been done before and better as I've stated in my review. It's not an Opeth album. It's just an average progressive rock album. For instance, if want better modern prog rock I would rather listen to this:

Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Expedience
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:42 am 

doomster999 wrote:
I guess my review sums it up. It's just stale, nothing more, nothing less. Has been done before and better as I've stated in my review.

Couldn't agree more with that review, 'stale' was what first came to my mind too. I'd give it 3, maybe 3.5. It's competent. I still think Heritage is better though.

Twisted_Psychology
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:46 pm 

Expedience wrote:
I've also been revisiting their albums since BWP and to my surprise I'd have to say that Watershed (which I had previously ranked among their weakest) is the strongest and Ghost Reveries the weakest, the others somewhere in between. Damnation by itself was never a favorite but when you consider it's a double-album, that raises it up immeasurably.

I gave Watershed a recent listen and had a fairly similar experience with it. It always felt more like a filler transitional effort in the grand scheme of things but songs like Coil, Porcelain Heart, and Heir Apparent really help it stand on its own merits. Of course, my opinions differ as I have a soft spot for Ghost Reveries and there's never been an Opeth album better than Damnation in my eyes.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7