Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:19 am 

Thought this would interest some of you. Apparently Taake is releasing a new album, "Stridens Hus" in December:

http://www.stereogum.com/1713359/taake- ... rins/mp3s/

New track and tracklist in the link.
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:40 am 

Typically Taake, which means it's typically good. His songs work better in the context of an album, rather than as stand-alone tracks, perhaps... but this picks up from where Noregs Vaapen left off. Hats off to Hoest!

Let's Trade in the Darkness of Hell! - updated for 2014!

TheHundredthApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:48 am 

Well, I wondered when the news would drop since there's always a 3-year gap and the year is drawing to a close. Sounds great and I am verily looking forward to this one as Taake never disappoints!

Primordial...Taake...the year's rounding out OK!

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:48 pm 

At the beginning of this year I made a goal to complete my discographies for Taake, Dark Fortress and Sargeist. What an awesome surprise this year turned out to be, this is great news!

adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:35 pm 

Nice! Great song, can't wait for the album!

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:26 pm 

Hah! I was beginning to lose hope that he'd keep up the "album every 3 years" trend this year, but then this springs up at the last minute. Quite excited; Noregs Vaapen was the project's best as far as I'm concerned so I hope he keeps that style going.

Though a song named "Stank." Heh. Heh. Ahem. I'm well aware it's dialectal Norwegian, but that's right up there with Equilibirum's "Fahrtwind."

Oh, and it's produced by the guy from Vulture Industries (another favorite of mine.) Interesting.

Gorblethorp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:10 am 

Hoest's vocals are sounding a little too processed for my liking, but those guitar melodies are off the dank!

CatFlatulence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:42 am 

This is good news. Satanic Warmaster posted the preorders for the new album as well. Sadly no vinyl yet, but with new Taake and Satanic Warmaster, it's a pretty good day.

Paganbasque
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:24 am 

I was checking the album cover when I have seen this info on this site:

There is a reason why Hoest prefers his name spelled with an "oe" and not an "ø". It is because he does not want to use the three letters æ,ø, and å. This is a part of the whole Taake package.

Er...what? is there any logic explanation for this? if there is one...

Valenten
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:45 am 

I saw the update through Patricia Thomas' page yesteday, and listened to that great track on bandcamp. Really good as usual. I just hope there will be no banjo on any song this time :D

Paganbasque wrote:

There is a reason why Hoest prefers his name spelled with an "oe" and not an "ø". It is because he does not want to use the three letters æ,ø, and å. This is a part of the whole Taake package.

I guess he's got an american keyboard :) ?

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:41 am 

Paganbasque wrote:

I'd hazard it's to make the band easier for people to find on search engines and for those who don't know how/are too lazy to type the special characters on their keyboards.

Also, the banjo was one of the best parts of NV!

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:42 am 

i just hope there'll be more banjo goodness... or perhaps a mandolin this time 'round

raumr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:26 am 

This is typical Taake, which is as big as a compliment I could give.

For anyone interested...

Stridens hus = House of Strife/Battle/War

Gamle Norig = Old Norway
Orm = Worm
Det fins en prins = There Is/Exists a Prince
Stank = Stench
En sang til sand om ildebrann = A Song to Sand about Fire (not sure about this sone...)
Kongsgård består = "King's Mansion" Prevails (Kongsgård means King's Farm, were they lived when Norway had all these smaller kingdoms)
Vinger = Wings

As usual, Taake's song titles and lyrics are not exactly easy to translate, but I think I got it about right.

Last edited by raumr on Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samoroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:31 am 

I thought theres nothing funny about 'stank'. It has in Dutch the same meaning as in Norwegian.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:00 am 

In America, stank is basically used as a kind of trashy/slang colloquialism for someone who's dirty from a sexual or hygienic perspective (so not just the "bad smell" the word "stench" implies.) IE the kind of phrasing you'd hear in a rap song, so seeing it out of context on a black metal album is somewhat humorous.

RapeTheDead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:22 pm 

New track sounds like more of the same. Atmosphere achieved through slideshows of dope riffs? Yeah this is Taake. Excellent band, even better live, everything about this song so far makes me wanna buy the album and add it to all the other Taake full-lengths I own. Not only are they consistent, they're consistently good and they know that and they never change a thing. Fanboy rant over, send Hoest blank cheques so he can make more shit faster

CardsOfWar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:58 am 

New Taake is certainly great news. Ever since I heard the first riff on Nattesid Ser Porten Vid I, I've been completely sold on all of Hoest's work.

last.fm here:
http://www.last.fm/user/CardsOfWar

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:32 pm 

Don't have much to add here except that I'm fanboying over this like many of you. Hoest can do no wrong. I love that no matter which era it is, the albums don't disappoint in terms of stupendous riffs and atmosphere. I'm pretty hopeful that this will make my AOTY list for sure.

JohnTheDrummer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:36 pm 

Definitely soudns like Taake, which is awesome! And as stated earlier, its hard to judge them by just ONE SONG. I'm hoping Hoest adds some of his weird/different things to this album (aside from the wah wah in this song). Banjo on the last one was so rad, the BOING in Over... III, and that super new wave sounding solo in Over IV was one of the best things I've ever heard \m/
http://www.facebook.com/funeralageofficial

Dalla Nebbia
http://www.facebook.com/dallanebbiamusic
http://www.dallanebbia.bandcamp.com

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:55 pm 

Samoroth wrote:
I thought theres nothing funny about 'stank'. It has in Dutch the same meaning as in Norwegian.

It's stink-stank-stunk in English, too.

Let's Trade in the Darkness of Hell! - updated for 2014!

PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:53 pm 

Damn, Hoest is a real riff-meister. Taake is some of the best black metal ever made, and this is looking to add nicely to that legacy.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:11 am 

Whoa, so the new album released last week. You guys already listening to this? My first thoughts on this is that Taake have retained the quality from Noregs Vaapen. Onward to more spins!

raumr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:59 pm 

1st listen impressions: It's good! I find it to be very different from Noregs vaapen, it does not grab you by the throat and go all-out like that album did. It's more laid back, with many songs featuring long instrumental sections with nostalgic and epic sounding riffs just repeating - which I love! The production is also different, I (as a Norwegian) have no idea what the lyrics are just by listening to it, which was not the case on any of the 3 previous albums. It's more nekro now, I guess.

It's on Spotify now, but I'll definitely get the CD!

I may do a track-by-track later, but I won't ruin it if anyone wants their senses to be fresh when they check it out. :)

SladeCraven
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:15 am 

I've only recently discovered Taake and I must say that I'm in love with the music. Its is everything I've been looking for in black metal and more.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:35 am 

Paganbasque wrote:

Taake is actually written in Tåke in Norway today, but it used to be Taake. Same goes for Æ and Ø. So it's probably to keep all the spellings oldschool!

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:18 pm 

I got bored after a few songs :ugh: I guess I will have to give it another shot at a full listen

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:21 pm 

Ahh I'm scared to sit down and listen to it now. I've heard multiple times that it's the most uninteresting Taake album ever.

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:48 pm 

as someone who's not much into black metal in general (save for some exceptions - i liked 1349's new one for instance), after a couple of spins, i think it's a great album; very unconventional in it's own way... i kind of associate it with crux lupus corona, formulas of death, sweven and ecdysis for some reason... not that it sounds alike, but it seems to have the same kind of adventurous curiosity to it

forestcorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:47 pm 

Have there been any words on when the vinyl version will be out?

raumr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:50 pm 

I have heard nothing. I remember it took over a year for Noregs vaapen to get a vinyl release. I think it's because Hoest releases the vinyls himself on Svartekunst Produksjoner, but I'm not sure.

why
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:06 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Though a song named "Stank." Heh. Heh. Ahem. I'm well aware it's dialectal Norwegian, but that's right up there with Equilibirum's "Fahrtwind."

The band name "Furze" means "(I) fart" in German. Always a big turnoff for me. Not sure if intentional.

raumr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:40 pm 

Okay, the album has had its time to sink in, and... it's not really good anymore. :ugh: You have no idea how much it pains me to say this, as Taake might be my favourite black metal band of all time, but this is just too bland to get excited about.

The songs are just riffs, which is fine (many bands, like Darkthrone and Drudkh, make piles of riffs as part of their songwriting), but the riffs themselves are not good enough to carry the whole songs by themselves. Like I said before, there are some magical moments where the riffs sound nostalgic and epic, but they are too few and the dull ones make up the bulk of each song. There are some 'thrashy' bits here and there, but they feel really out of place. The guitar solos are shitty, and the guest vocals on Orm are cringe worthy.

I will wait until I get to read the lyrics before disowning this whole album, but it won't make my top 10 list either way.

captain_che
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:05 am 

raumr wrote:
Okay, the album has had its time to sink in, and... it's not really good anymore. :ugh: You have no idea how much it pains me to say this, as Taake might be my favourite black metal band of all time, but this is just too bland to get excited about.

This is exactly what I was afraid of when I heard the single.

Reply to topic