Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Z0MBIE
Metalhead

Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 8:00 am
Posts: 874
Location: Denmark
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:19 am 
 

Thought this would interest some of you. Apparently Taake is releasing a new album, "Stridens Hus" in December:

http://www.stereogum.com/1713359/taake- ... rins/mp3s/

New track and tracklist in the link.
_________________
caspian wrote:
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:53 am
Posts: 6716
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:40 am 
 

Typically Taake, which means it's typically good. His songs work better in the context of an album, rather than as stand-alone tracks, perhaps... but this picks up from where Noregs Vaapen left off. Hats off to Hoest!
_________________
'Heavy metal top of the class, stuff the media up your arse!' - Den Dennis.

Let's Trade in the Darkness of Hell! - updated for 2014!

Top
 Profile  
TheHundredthApostle
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:00 am
Posts: 53
Location: Namibia
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:48 am 
 

Well, I wondered when the news would drop since there's always a 3-year gap and the year is drawing to a close. Sounds great and I am verily looking forward to this one as Taake never disappoints!

Primordial...Taake...the year's rounding out OK!

Top
 Profile  
narsilianshard
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:22 pm
Posts: 738
Location: Seattle
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:48 pm 
 

At the beginning of this year I made a goal to complete my discographies for Taake, Dark Fortress and Sargeist. What an awesome surprise this year turned out to be, this is great news!
_________________
Currently working my way through the Hammers of Misfortune discography for MetalBandcamp.

Top
 Profile  
adace
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:30 pm
Posts: 246
Location: USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:35 pm 
 

Nice! Great song, can't wait for the album!

Top
 Profile  
Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:22 pm
Posts: 2734
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:26 pm 
 

Hah! I was beginning to lose hope that he'd keep up the "album every 3 years" trend this year, but then this springs up at the last minute. Quite excited; Noregs Vaapen was the project's best as far as I'm concerned so I hope he keeps that style going.

Though a song named "Stank." Heh. Heh. Ahem. I'm well aware it's dialectal Norwegian, but that's right up there with Equilibirum's "Fahrtwind."

Oh, and it's produced by the guy from Vulture Industries (another favorite of mine.) Interesting.
_________________
failsafeman wrote:
In fairness though, a giant ball of cow dung is a hell of a conversation-starter.

Top
 Profile  
Gorblethorp
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:19 pm
Posts: 246
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:10 am 
 

Hoest's vocals are sounding a little too processed for my liking, but those guitar melodies are off the dank!

Top
 Profile  
CatFlatulence
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:51 pm
Posts: 84
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:42 am 
 

This is good news. Satanic Warmaster posted the preorders for the new album as well. Sadly no vinyl yet, but with new Taake and Satanic Warmaster, it's a pretty good day.

Top
 Profile  
Paganbasque
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:28 am
Posts: 1680
Location: Basque Country
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:24 am 
 

I was checking the album cover when I have seen this info on this site:

There is a reason why Hoest prefers his name spelled with an "oe" and not an "ø". It is because he does not want to use the three letters æ,ø, and å. This is a part of the whole Taake package.

Er...what? is there any logic explanation for this? if there is one...

Top
 Profile  
Valenten
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:41 pm
Posts: 30
Location: France
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:45 am 
 

I saw the update through Patricia Thomas' page yesteday, and listened to that great track on bandcamp. Really good as usual. I just hope there will be no banjo on any song this time :D

Paganbasque wrote:
I was checking the album cover when I have seen this info on this site:

There is a reason why Hoest prefers his name spelled with an "oe" and not an "ø". It is because he does not want to use the three letters æ,ø, and å. This is a part of the whole Taake package.

Er...what? is there any logic explanation for this? if there is one...


I guess he's got an american keyboard :) ?
_________________
Askrinn - Pagan Black Metal band for fans of Arckanum and Bathory with Old Norse lyrics
- New Album is available as both Free Download and CD
http://www.askrinn.com

Top
 Profile  
Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:22 pm
Posts: 2734
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:41 am 
 

Paganbasque wrote:
I was checking the album cover when I have seen this info on this site:

There is a reason why Hoest prefers his name spelled with an "oe" and not an "ø". It is because he does not want to use the three letters æ,ø, and å. This is a part of the whole Taake package.

Er...what? is there any logic explanation for this? if there is one...


I'd hazard it's to make the band easier for people to find on search engines and for those who don't know how/are too lazy to type the special characters on their keyboards.

Also, the banjo was one of the best parts of NV!
_________________
failsafeman wrote:
In fairness though, a giant ball of cow dung is a hell of a conversation-starter.

Top
 Profile  
joppek
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:36 am
Posts: 929
Location: Suomi Finland Perkele
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:42 am 
 

i just hope there'll be more banjo goodness... or perhaps a mandolin this time 'round
_________________
All the best bands are affiliated with Satan. -Bart Simpson

Top
 Profile  
raumr
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:11 pm
Posts: 355
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:26 am 
 

This is typical Taake, which is as big as a compliment I could give.

For anyone interested...

Stridens hus = House of Strife/Battle/War

Gamle Norig = Old Norway
Orm = Worm
Det fins en prins = There Is/Exists a Prince
Stank = Stench
En sang til sand om ildebrann = A Song to Sand about Fire (not sure about this sone...)
Kongsgård består = "King's Mansion" Prevails (Kongsgård means King's Farm, were they lived when Norway had all these smaller kingdoms)
Vinger = Wings

As usual, Taake's song titles and lyrics are not exactly easy to translate, but I think I got it about right.
_________________
Av is er jeg kommet


Last edited by raumr on Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Samoroth
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:59 pm
Posts: 244
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:31 am 
 

I thought theres nothing funny about 'stank'. It has in Dutch the same meaning as in Norwegian.

Top
 Profile  
Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:22 pm
Posts: 2734
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:00 am 
 

In America, stank is basically used as a kind of trashy/slang colloquialism for someone who's dirty from a sexual or hygienic perspective (so not just the "bad smell" the word "stench" implies.) IE the kind of phrasing you'd hear in a rap song, so seeing it out of context on a black metal album is somewhat humorous.
_________________
failsafeman wrote:
In fairness though, a giant ball of cow dung is a hell of a conversation-starter.

Top
 Profile  
RapeTheDead
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:48 pm
Posts: 472
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:22 pm 
 

New track sounds like more of the same. Atmosphere achieved through slideshows of dope riffs? Yeah this is Taake. Excellent band, even better live, everything about this song so far makes me wanna buy the album and add it to all the other Taake full-lengths I own. Not only are they consistent, they're consistently good and they know that and they never change a thing. Fanboy rant over, send Hoest blank cheques so he can make more shit faster
_________________
UnderTheGuillotine wrote:
Smoke weed.

Top
 Profile  
CardsOfWar
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:33 am
Posts: 203
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:58 am 
 

New Taake is certainly great news. Ever since I heard the first riff on Nattesid Ser Porten Vid I, I've been completely sold on all of Hoest's work.
_________________
Erosion of Humanity wrote:
Peeing your pants is the coolest. You ain't cool unless you pee your pants.


last.fm here:
http://www.last.fm/user/CardsOfWar

Top
 Profile  
shouvince
Veteran

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:11 am
Posts: 2841
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:32 pm 
 

Don't have much to add here except that I'm fanboying over this like many of you. Hoest can do no wrong. I love that no matter which era it is, the albums don't disappoint in terms of stupendous riffs and atmosphere. I'm pretty hopeful that this will make my AOTY list for sure.

Top
 Profile  
JohnTheDrummer
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 2:25 pm
Posts: 303
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:36 pm 
 

Definitely soudns like Taake, which is awesome! And as stated earlier, its hard to judge them by just ONE SONG. I'm hoping Hoest adds some of his weird/different things to this album (aside from the wah wah in this song). Banjo on the last one was so rad, the BOING in Over... III, and that super new wave sounding solo in Over IV was one of the best things I've ever heard \m/
_________________
Funeral Age
http://www.funeralage.com
http://www.funeralage.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/funeralageofficial

Dalla Nebbia
http://www.facebook.com/dallanebbiamusic
http://www.dallanebbia.bandcamp.com

Top
 Profile  
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:53 am
Posts: 6716
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:55 pm 
 

Samoroth wrote:
I thought theres nothing funny about 'stank'. It has in Dutch the same meaning as in Norwegian.


It's stink-stank-stunk in English, too.
_________________
'Heavy metal top of the class, stuff the media up your arse!' - Den Dennis.

Let's Trade in the Darkness of Hell! - updated for 2014!

Top
 Profile  
PvtNinjer
Veteran

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:45 am
Posts: 2685
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:53 pm 
 

Damn, Hoest is a real riff-meister. Taake is some of the best black metal ever made, and this is looking to add nicely to that legacy.

Top
 Profile  
shouvince
Veteran

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:11 am
Posts: 2841
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:11 am 
 

Whoa, so the new album released last week. You guys already listening to this? My first thoughts on this is that Taake have retained the quality from Noregs Vaapen. Onward to more spins!

Top
 Profile  
raumr
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:11 pm
Posts: 355
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:59 pm 
 

1st listen impressions: It's good! I find it to be very different from Noregs vaapen, it does not grab you by the throat and go all-out like that album did. It's more laid back, with many songs featuring long instrumental sections with nostalgic and epic sounding riffs just repeating - which I love! The production is also different, I (as a Norwegian) have no idea what the lyrics are just by listening to it, which was not the case on any of the 3 previous albums. It's more nekro now, I guess.

It's on Spotify now, but I'll definitely get the CD!

I may do a track-by-track later, but I won't ruin it if anyone wants their senses to be fresh when they check it out. :)
_________________
Av is er jeg kommet

Top
 Profile  
SladeCraven
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 1:51 pm
Posts: 394
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:15 am 
 

I've only recently discovered Taake and I must say that I'm in love with the music. Its is everything I've been looking for in black metal and more.
_________________
Kruel wrote:
Not really. Plasma sounds like a toilet, but their music doesn't take me on a magical journey to a toilet.

Top
 Profile  
693
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:55 am
Posts: 628
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:35 am 
 

Paganbasque wrote:
I was checking the album cover when I have seen this info on this site:

There is a reason why Hoest prefers his name spelled with an "oe" and not an "ø". It is because he does not want to use the three letters æ,ø, and å. This is a part of the whole Taake package.

Er...what? is there any logic explanation for this? if there is one...


Taake is actually written in Tåke in Norway today, but it used to be Taake. Same goes for Æ and Ø. So it's probably to keep all the spellings oldschool!

Top
 Profile  
Sick6Six
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:01 pm
Posts: 954
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:18 pm 
 

I got bored after a few songs :ugh: I guess I will have to give it another shot at a full listen
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/slowgod666 add me if you wish.

Top
 Profile  
narsilianshard
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:22 pm
Posts: 738
Location: Seattle
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:21 pm 
 

Ahh I'm scared to sit down and listen to it now. I've heard multiple times that it's the most uninteresting Taake album ever.
_________________
Currently working my way through the Hammers of Misfortune discography for MetalBandcamp.

Top
 Profile  
joppek
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:36 am
Posts: 929
Location: Suomi Finland Perkele
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:48 pm 
 

as someone who's not much into black metal in general (save for some exceptions - i liked 1349's new one for instance), after a couple of spins, i think it's a great album; very unconventional in it's own way... i kind of associate it with crux lupus corona, formulas of death, sweven and ecdysis for some reason... not that it sounds alike, but it seems to have the same kind of adventurous curiosity to it
_________________
All the best bands are affiliated with Satan. -Bart Simpson

Top
 Profile  
forestcorpse
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:06 pm
Posts: 2427
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:47 pm 
 

Have there been any words on when the vinyl version will be out?

Top
 Profile  
raumr
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:11 pm
Posts: 355
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:50 pm 
 

I have heard nothing. I remember it took over a year for Noregs vaapen to get a vinyl release. I think it's because Hoest releases the vinyls himself on Svartekunst Produksjoner, but I'm not sure.
_________________
Av is er jeg kommet

Top
 Profile  
why
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:43 pm
Posts: 188
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:06 pm 
 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Though a song named "Stank." Heh. Heh. Ahem. I'm well aware it's dialectal Norwegian, but that's right up there with Equilibirum's "Fahrtwind."


The band name "Furze" means "(I) fart" in German. Always a big turnoff for me. Not sure if intentional.

Top
 Profile  
raumr
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:11 pm
Posts: 355
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:40 pm 
 

Okay, the album has had its time to sink in, and... it's not really good anymore. :ugh: You have no idea how much it pains me to say this, as Taake might be my favourite black metal band of all time, but this is just too bland to get excited about.

The songs are just riffs, which is fine (many bands, like Darkthrone and Drudkh, make piles of riffs as part of their songwriting), but the riffs themselves are not good enough to carry the whole songs by themselves. Like I said before, there are some magical moments where the riffs sound nostalgic and epic, but they are too few and the dull ones make up the bulk of each song. There are some 'thrashy' bits here and there, but they feel really out of place. The guitar solos are shitty, and the guest vocals on Orm are cringe worthy.

I will wait until I get to read the lyrics before disowning this whole album, but it won't make my top 10 list either way.
_________________
Av is er jeg kommet

Top
 Profile  
captain_che
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:20 pm
Posts: 391
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:05 am 
 

raumr wrote:
Okay, the album has had its time to sink in, and... it's not really good anymore. :ugh: You have no idea how much it pains me to say this, as Taake might be my favourite black metal band of all time, but this is just too bland to get excited about.


This is exactly what I was afraid of when I heard the single.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], halfformedfetus and 25 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group