Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:15 pm
Posts: 10119
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:39 am 
 

PvtNinjer wrote:
I agree with Abominatrix in regards to the harsh vocals, which is a shame because they used to be pretty good. Ivar still has a pretty good bellow, but Grutle's harsh vocals have gotten pretty weak. Fortunately for me, they aren't so bad that they detract from the music. I disagree about the cleans, though. I absolutely love Enslaved's use of clean vocals.



Grutle's howl was so crazed on the early Enslaved stuff; i"m not surprised at all that he can't perform like that anymore. However he seems to have been forced to replace it with a kind of dry, hacky sound that's not very pleasant and occasionally a bit comical.
_________________
Hush! and hark
To the sorrowful cry
Of the wind in the dark.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Top
 Profile  
Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:22 pm
Posts: 2295
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:46 am 
 

Abominatrix wrote:
PvtNinjer wrote:
I agree with Abominatrix in regards to the harsh vocals, which is a shame because they used to be pretty good. Ivar still has a pretty good bellow, but Grutle's harsh vocals have gotten pretty weak. Fortunately for me, they aren't so bad that they detract from the music. I disagree about the cleans, though. I absolutely love Enslaved's use of clean vocals.



Grutle's howl was so crazed on the early Enslaved stuff; i"m not surprised at all that he can't perform like that anymore. However he seems to have been forced to replace it with a kind of dry, hacky sound that's not very pleasant and occasionally a bit comical.


His growls definitely sounded a bit weaker on Riitiir, and I think that may be since they were mixed more in the front and less reverbed/processed/quiet (at least it sounded that way to me) than they were on Axioma, Vertebrae, etc.
_________________
GuntherTheUndying wrote:
You'd be making more sense if in a "Potential Pet" thread you compared the pros and cons of a gecko to that of a four-day-old piece of beef tenderloin.

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6332
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:59 am 
 

Kjellson's vocals been deteriorating for a long time, and they went to the gutter after Ruun, in my opinion, though they improved somewhat with the latest album. He performs vocals quite well live, though. I have no idea why the recordings portray this dry, powerless throat-clearing noise, because the man can scream.
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
shwartzheim
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:49 am
Posts: 281
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:32 pm 
 

I wouldn’t say his voice is deteriorating. It sounds to me more like he’s adapting to there more laid back approach, in a similar way to how Vorph sounds nowadays in comparison to earlier Samael.
I mean the last few albums would sound a little odd if he was still employing the same viciousness of the early material. Sounds fine to me live too.
_________________
Trade List
viewtopic.php?t=91226

Subterranean
http://www.reverbnation.com/subterraneanaust
http://www.soundcloud.com/subterraneanaust

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6332
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:33 am 
 

That's true, his older, more drawn out and aggressive style would be out of place on the new albums. However, I feel that his voice has lost power and expressiveness from Isa and Ruun as well, even though those albums have less intense moments aplenty.
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
PvtNinjer
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:45 am
Posts: 2478
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:21 am 
 

Abominatrix wrote:
PvtNinjer wrote:
I agree with Abominatrix in regards to the harsh vocals, which is a shame because they used to be pretty good. Ivar still has a pretty good bellow, but Grutle's harsh vocals have gotten pretty weak. Fortunately for me, they aren't so bad that they detract from the music. I disagree about the cleans, though. I absolutely love Enslaved's use of clean vocals.



Grutle's howl was so crazed on the early Enslaved stuff; i"m not surprised at all that he can't perform like that anymore. However he seems to have been forced to replace it with a kind of dry, hacky sound that's not very pleasant and occasionally a bit comical.


Absolutely! I find I can't really focus on the vocals much, but I love newer Enslaved for their lush sound and dreamy melodicism. Like Ilwhyan said, though, he still does a great job live. Actually they kill live, in general. I've seen em on the last two tours, of course I will not miss the inevitable third. I could use a new Enslaved shirt anyway! I better stop before the inner fan boy comes out, haha.

I think they should do more of the deeper growls (I think Ivar does them, well he seems to do them live at least), and let Grutle just run wild on bass.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aaronmb666, Alsandair, colin040, Temple Of Blood, TheDarkHarvest, Vanguard_Prod, WarriorFenix and 32 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group