Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:39 am 

PvtNinjer wrote:
I agree with Abominatrix in regards to the harsh vocals, which is a shame because they used to be pretty good. Ivar still has a pretty good bellow, but Grutle's harsh vocals have gotten pretty weak. Fortunately for me, they aren't so bad that they detract from the music. I disagree about the cleans, though. I absolutely love Enslaved's use of clean vocals.

Grutle's howl was so crazed on the early Enslaved stuff; i"m not surprised at all that he can't perform like that anymore. However he seems to have been forced to replace it with a kind of dry, hacky sound that's not very pleasant and occasionally a bit comical.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:46 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
PvtNinjer wrote:
I agree with Abominatrix in regards to the harsh vocals, which is a shame because they used to be pretty good. Ivar still has a pretty good bellow, but Grutle's harsh vocals have gotten pretty weak. Fortunately for me, they aren't so bad that they detract from the music. I disagree about the cleans, though. I absolutely love Enslaved's use of clean vocals.

Grutle's howl was so crazed on the early Enslaved stuff; i"m not surprised at all that he can't perform like that anymore. However he seems to have been forced to replace it with a kind of dry, hacky sound that's not very pleasant and occasionally a bit comical.

His growls definitely sounded a bit weaker on Riitiir, and I think that may be since they were mixed more in the front and less reverbed/processed/quiet (at least it sounded that way to me) than they were on Axioma, Vertebrae, etc.

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:59 am 

Kjellson's vocals been deteriorating for a long time, and they went to the gutter after Ruun, in my opinion, though they improved somewhat with the latest album. He performs vocals quite well live, though. I have no idea why the recordings portray this dry, powerless throat-clearing noise, because the man can scream.

shwartzheim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:32 pm 

I wouldn’t say his voice is deteriorating. It sounds to me more like he’s adapting to there more laid back approach, in a similar way to how Vorph sounds nowadays in comparison to earlier Samael.
I mean the last few albums would sound a little odd if he was still employing the same viciousness of the early material. Sounds fine to me live too.

Subterranean
http://www.reverbnation.com/subterraneanaust
http://www.soundcloud.com/subterraneanaust

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:33 am 

That's true, his older, more drawn out and aggressive style would be out of place on the new albums. However, I feel that his voice has lost power and expressiveness from Isa and Ruun as well, even though those albums have less intense moments aplenty.

PvtNinjer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:21 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
PvtNinjer wrote:

Absolutely! I find I can't really focus on the vocals much, but I love newer Enslaved for their lush sound and dreamy melodicism. Like Ilwhyan said, though, he still does a great job live. Actually they kill live, in general. I've seen em on the last two tours, of course I will not miss the inevitable third. I could use a new Enslaved shirt anyway! I better stop before the inner fan boy comes out, haha.

I think they should do more of the deeper growls (I think Ivar does them, well he seems to do them live at least), and let Grutle just run wild on bass.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2