Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
potug
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:39 pm 

Yap, he died for black metal, but sincerely, he is a good singer, but not a singer to be eternal remembered for his voice, so WHY is he almost a god?
-----edit-----
It's my opinion about his voice, so PLEASE, don't come saying ''he is better than any singer ever born''

Last edited by potug on Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:40 pm 

Not too many people give him god status. That is a thing mostly perpetuated by the books or mainstream magazines written about them. But, yeah he's a martyr, and that's always a shoe-in for people to start overplaying the significance of an individual.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:46 pm 

I thought he died because he was mentally unstable and Euronymous was a giant douche who fucked with his mind and drove him to suicide. As far as his vocals go, he's above average and unique, but not by no means the best black metal vocalist ever. Attila did a better job on DMDS than Dead could have ever done.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

celt14
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:53 pm 

Thashierthanthou wrote:
I thought he died because he was mentally unstable and Euronymous was a giant douche who fucked with his mind and drove him to suicide. As far as his vocals go, he's above average and unique, but not by no means the best black metal vocalist ever. Attila did a better job on DMDS than Dead could have ever done.

You stole the words from RIGHT out of my mouth man!!!!! What I liked about Attila's vocal style on DMDS was that it was UNIQUE, especially when everybody else was doing the same style as Dead. So it stood out, and it was ghastly and evil as fuck!!!!

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:58 pm 

Dead used a style not to many people used back then. I really have no idea whether he was the first, but it was certainly not that common compared to today. I think you'll find a lot of black metal bands with vocals that sound similar to Dead, and are inspired by Dead. So to some who hear these type of vocals constantly it may diminish how fucking eerie and demonic it was at the time.

However I disagree with people who say Mayhem died with Dead though. Attila even better and more unique (still unique to this day).

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:32 pm 

His vocals were unique for that time, 88, 89. Quorthon was really the only one doing those kinds of vocals then, but Dead kinda took it one step further. I personally don't think Dead would have made De Mysteriis... as good as it is now. Attila's performance is one of the best vocal performances on a black metal album ever. Dead will forever be remembered as a gifted vocalist, but unfortunately the events surrounding his death will always overshadow anything he did in his life.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

jameswolfe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:47 pm 

Are you fucking serious? Is this a metal site or American Idol?

Yeah Dead isnt the greatest singer in the most technical sense, but that is irrelevant. If technical ability was all that mattered we wouldnt be listening to metal in the first place. Geuss what? Ozzy is a fucking shitty singer, but he was a great front man and is a LEGEND.

Dead was great because as mentioned before there really was not anything like him around at the time. In those days death metal had become a joke and Mayhem (including Dead) put the Death back in the metal. They made it interesting again by bringing that edge that it was lacking. Maybe some of you whipper snappers werent around to witness this happening.

Besides that, Dead was a killer showman. The dude went as far as burying his clothes in dirt for weeks before performances so that he smelled of dirt and death when performing on stage. And dont forget mutilating himself on stage many times. The guys lyrics were all about not beloning to this earth and wanting to return to the realm of the Dead and I cannot think of a single singer in all of metal who walked the walked of his lyrics more than Dead. Read the lyrics to Buried By Time and Dust or Life Eternal and know that he meant it.

Its entirely possible that without Dead (and his subsequent suicide) that black metal as we know it may have never taken off. How can you deny his status as legendary? Pure ignorance.

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:20 pm 

jameswolfe wrote:
Dead was great because as mentioned before there really was not anything like him around at the time. In those days death metal had become a joke and Mayhem (including Dead) put the Death back in the metal. They made it interesting again by bringing that edge that it was lacking. Maybe some of you whipper snappers werent around to witness this happening.

You know what? I would wager that the vast majority of people who listen to black metal weren't around to witness this, and I would also say that you yourself weren't. Unless you lived in Norway at that time and hung out with those guys, of which I can pretty confidently say that you weren't. Either way, thats not the point. Originality is actually meaningless at the end of the day.

jameswolfe wrote:
Besides that, Dead was a killer showman. The dude went as far as burying his clothes in dirt for weeks before performances so that he smelled of dirt and death when performing on stage. And dont forget mutilating himself on stage many times. The guys lyrics were all about not beloning to this earth and wanting to return to the realm of the Dead and I cannot think of a single singer in all of metal who walked the walked of his lyrics more than Dead. Read the lyrics to Buried By Time and Dust or Life Eternal and know that he meant it.

I really don't think that this means anything as well. Its more of a description of a really confused and unhappy person. But, the extraneous qualities of a vocalist mean little if the vocals aren't good. I'm not saying that, and I don't think anyone else has, but its not akin to law that Dead must be revered. I don't mind his vocals, but I don't think they are exceptional. Even if he is the first to sing in that way changes little. I could say that I'm the first person to sing with staples through my tounge, and my singing would still suck ;)

Quote:
Its entirely possible that without Dead (and his subsequent suicide) that black metal as we know it may have never taken off. How can you deny his status as legendary? Pure ignorance.

I just don't believe that at all. Do you honestly think that Dead is responsible for black metal? Really?? I cannot recall ever hearing a BM band menton Dead specifically as a vocal influence. He is not so much a legend as notorious.

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:36 pm 

jameswolfe wrote:
It's entirely possible that without Dead (and his subsequent suicide) that black metal as we know it may have never taken off. How can you deny his status as legendary? Pure ignorance.

I don't know if Dead's stage persona and vocal performance really boosted Black Metal to popularity. It was already gaining a lot of popularity at the time and probably would have continued to gain popularity without Dead and his death due to the emergence of seminal bands like Immortal, Emperor, Dimmu Borgir and the continuation of Darkthrone's transformation into Black Metal, and the release of Mayhem's De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas.

If Dead did anything influential or beneficial to the Black Metal scene it was his suicide, along with Varg's murder of Euronymous. Dead's suicide and Euronymous' murder (along with the church burnings and other murders) made Black Metal really controversial and brought it lots of attention for a time, which probably attracted more listeners. At least, Dead's influence on the genre in terms of his voice or presence was overshadowed by his death.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:01 pm 

He's well liked enough, but has never been visible or prolific enough to be thought of as a god even in our exclusive little circle. That first guy is right, the idea of him being a towering figure in the scene is the result of sensationalistic coverage of those halcyon days.

TheTrueSeker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:43 am 

Dead is well-known mostly for really establishing the second wave black metal visual aesthetic. You know, the dead ravens, the corpsepaint (which had done before, yes, but Dead really embodied the concept, if that makes any sense), the total-seriousness, severed pig heads, etc. Also, his suicide was a major polarizing event at the time, even if it seems a bit contrived today (according to some people). Also, he was a quite good vocalist, particularly on the Morbid demo and the Mayhem studio tracks from around that time. Basically, more of an aesthetic innovator than a musical one, but no less important than people like Varg or Euronymous when it came to establishing early '90s black metal as a phenomenon.
p0wnn00b wrote:
It was already gaining a lot of popularity at the time and probably would have continued to gain popularity without Dead and his death due to the emergence of seminal bands like Immortal, Emperor, Dimmu Borgir and the continuation of Darkthrone's transformation into Black Metal, and the release of Mayhem's De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas.

Here's the thing: Dead's aesthetic innovations seriously influenced all of those bands (particularly Emperor), and if he hadn't put forward that image/concept, it's likely that the work of those bands would have turned out quite differently. Immortal and Emperor used to be death metal bands before changing their names after being influenced by the original black metal Norwegians such as Varg, Euronymous and Dead.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:54 am 

I think it's just one of those cases where a musician is held in high regard for the wrong reasons, I.E, his controversial suicide. If Dead simply left Mayhem, and went on his own path, I'm sure he'd hardly be as revered as he is today.

Hawksword192
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:19 am 

Personally, I think Dead's vocals were amazing. He howled in a sort of morbid fury with lyrics that reflected in a pure sense his fascination with death. The biggest tragedy of his suicide was he did not perform Dom Mysteriis' vocals (unlike Atilla's fans, I feel he was unique in a purely terrible aspect). His death might have helped Black Metal's mystique but he would have been regarded as a legend anyways.

SadisticIntent
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:41 am 

ok. time to kill some myths, he killed himself due to depression.actually
there were plans to reunite with morbid and do a gig in stockholm.but it
never happend. that near death experience wasnt a iceskating accident.,
he got beat up at school so bad he had to go the hospital with serious
injuries.
you know what..get the book "Blood eld död" - blood fire death in english
about the swedish death/black metal scene. theres a whole chapter about
pelle ohlin, his brother anders talks for the first time about pelles death.
lets just say the family wasnt pleased about the "dawn of the black hearts" cover.
read the book and stop spreading all this shit thats not true. if you live in sweden
you could read the chapter in sweden rock magazine issue 82 and 83.

the end

plagueofangels
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:12 am 

Why is Varg idolized? He's not a good guitar player, so WHY do people think he is some kind of god? There's no reason for it.

Vrede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:28 am 

Because of the phenomenon which I tend to call the 'Cobain Effect'.

Speak for yourself.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:06 am 

plagueofangels wrote:
Why is Varg idolized? He's not a good guitar player, so WHY do people think he is some kind of god? There's no reason for it.

Well, for one, he is the single-handed creator of the Burzum albums (well, Euronymous did do a guitar solo on "War", but besides that it was all him) and those said albums, a lot of people think are among the greatest offerings in the entirety of the black metal genre, so it isn't hard to figure out why he is as revered.

swayze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:18 am 

Because he's dead, pun intended.

Human666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:20 am 

I don't see him as a legend.
He was just a vocalist in a black metal band that commited suicide due to his mental issues.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:59 am 

I partially agree with Humand 666, I dont consider him to be a legend, but he was a talented vocalist with a good stage presence. He was one of the first who did what he did, but just because he had some mental problems and died the way he did doesn't make him a legend. A great musician? yes.

Tezcat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:53 am 

SadisticIntent wrote:
ok. time to kill some myths, he killed himself due to depression.actually
there were plans to reunite with morbid and do a gig in stockholm.but it
never happend. that near death experience wasnt a iceskating accident.,
he got beat up at school so bad he had to go the hospital with serious
injuries.
you know what..get the book "Blood eld död" - blood fire death in english
about the swedish death/black metal scene. theres a whole chapter about
pelle ohlin, his brother anders talks for the first time about pelles death.
lets just say the family wasnt pleased about the "dawn of the black hearts" cover.
read the book and stop spreading all this shit thats not true. if you live in sweden
you could read the chapter in sweden rock magazine issue 82 and 83.

the end

You know, this is really interesting. Searched for the book in english, no luck yet. Çany chance that you, or somebody else, knows a good translation of the book?

EDIT: Nevermind. I just found the Slayer's XX softbound version, which (correct me if I'm wrong) I think is the same and it's just $10, I'll order it!

SatanSmells
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:33 pm 

Dead is kind of like the Sid Vicious of black metal.

Father_Ov_Terror
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:40 pm 

Thashierthanthou wrote:

Attila's vocals were horse shit in DMDS. Totally ruined what could have been a fantastic album. In Ordo Ad Chao they were genuinely creepy, but in DMDS they sounded like a bored old man mumbling and moaning to himself.

CrustAsFuckExistence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:45 pm 

SatanSmells wrote:
Dead is kind of like the Sid Vicious of black metal.

Agreed...except that Dead did actually make some good music.

Atmospheric Black Metal (solo)

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:01 pm 

TheTrueSeker wrote:
Here's the thing: Dead's aesthetic innovations seriously influenced all of those bands (particularly Emperor), and if he hadn't put forward that image/concept, it's likely that the work of those bands would have turned out quite differently. Immortal and Emperor used to be death metal bands before changing their names after being influenced by the original black metal Norwegians such as Varg, Euronymous and Dead.

Still, Dead's influence was not his vocal performance as much as his aesthetics. I don't deny that those other bands would have been different in even the slightest ways. I can't speak as much about early Immortal, but I know The Wrath of the Tyrant was pretty crusty and rough and grim and low-fi Death Metal -- borderline Black Metal. Early Emperor and Thou Shalt Suffer strike me as more of a Blackened Death Metal, but that's splitting hairs. I do think Immortal and Emperor (maybe Dissection too?) might not have made that leap from a low-fi Death Metal if not for the Mayhem guys and whatever other factors there were that caused the change.

Warthur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:29 pm 

It's hard to deny that Dead was an influential guy. But then again most guys in the Norwegian black metal scene influenced each other back then, and I think you'd be hard-pressed to argue that he was more influential than, say, Varg or Euronymous or Emperor or Enslaved or anyone else who was a big wheel on the black metal scene in those days.

Ultimately, we're talking about a guy where the most widely-seen image of him is the one on the cover of Dawn of the Blackhearts, or possibly Live in Leipzig, and was part of the scene only briefly. Was he important? Sure. Was he more important than folk who were part of the scene before him and kept making new cutting-edge shit decades after he died? Hell no.

Krav
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:19 pm 

Tezcat wrote:
You know, this is really interesting. Searched for the book in english, no luck yet. Çany chance that you, or somebody else, knows a good translation of the book?

EDIT: Nevermind. I just found the Slayer's XX softbound version, which (correct me if I'm wrong) I think is the same and it's just $10, I'll order it!

Where did you find it?

jameswolfe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:12 pm 

TheTrueSeker wrote:
Dead is well-known mostly for really establishing the second wave black metal visual aesthetic. You know, the dead ravens, the corpsepaint (which had done before, yes, but Dead really embodied the concept, if that makes any sense), the total-seriousness, severed pig heads, etc. Also, his suicide was a major polarizing event at the time, even if it seems a bit contrived today (according to some people). Also, he was a quite good vocalist, particularly on the Morbid demo and the Mayhem studio tracks from around that time. Basically, more of an aesthetic innovator than a musical one, but no less important than people like Varg or Euronymous when it came to establishing early '90s black metal as a phenomenon.
p0wnn00b wrote:
It was already gaining a lot of popularity at the time and probably would have continued to gain popularity without Dead and his death due to the emergence of seminal bands like Immortal, Emperor, Dimmu Borgir and the continuation of Darkthrone's transformation into Black Metal, and the release of Mayhem's De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas.

Thank you.

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:17 pm 

I really think that Darkthrone are the most prominent band for scultping modern black metal, as well as influencing other norweigan bands to change to black.

Tezcat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:43 pm 

Krav wrote:
Tezcat wrote:

Where did you find it?

It's on the Nuclear War Now Productions website. Hardbound cover has been long out of print, but the softbound cover is still available and, according to the site, always on print!

Here's the link:
http://www.nwnprod.com/catalog/product_ ... ts_id=8530

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:11 pm 

I cannot disagree more with people who think Attila is better. I hate Attila on DMDS, and Dead's vocals are some of my favorite black metal vocals out there.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:10 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
I cannot disagree more with people who think Attila is better. I hate Attila on DMDS, and Dead's vocals are some of my favorite black metal vocals out there.

I don't think Attila is bad enough to ruin DMDS, but Dead's vocals do sound so much better and would fit that album a lot more than Attila. Attila sounds too much like a weird old man moaning on DMDS.

Father_Ov_Terror
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:23 pm 

Dudemanguy wrote:
AcidWorm wrote:

I don't think Attila is bad enough to ruin DMDS, but Dead's vocals do sound so much better and would fit that album a lot more than Attila. Attila sounds too much like a weird old man moaning on DMDS.

Finally some sane people.

adf1277
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:24 pm 

Vrede wrote:
Because of the phenomenon which I tend to call the 'Cobain Effect'.

+1

I can't see how he became a legend. An innovator? I can't see that either.
I know I'm not bringing anything new to the table but I think the only reason his name trasesnded is purelly because the dude killed himself. "A martyr to the cause", or something like that.

Eh_Timeghoul
Be gentle, I was... Born This Way

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:19 pm 

Dead's a legend because he's.......dead? not trying to be punny....hur-hur-hur

but really, that's....pretty much it....he didn't kill himself for any cause other than he was fucked in the head, and people just naturally just find interest in the dead

psyote
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:55 am 

Dead helped to develop the vocal style that is the definitive black metal vocals and his stage presence really gave additional kick to a Mayhem show. As far as the reason for Dead being a legendary figure (if ever he really is) in black metal is that his death was quickly followed by murders and church arson in the early 90s and the media coverage on the Norwegian black metal scene became intensive.

Well he became a sort of legend or martyr because Dead is dead.

Enrique Iglesias + blast beats.

Tormentor6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:59 am 

Dead was the primary model for ‘Norse’ Black Metal vocals right after Quorthon.

Even Darkthrone’s A Blaze in the Northern Sky (from ‘92) was obviously influenced heavily by Live in Leipzig (recorded in November 1990)…

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:52 am 

Dead was revered because he killed himself and then the band did weird things with his body. He's a big part of the early Mayhem shenanigans and Mayhem was a big part of early black metal. His name was cemented into black metal by being involved with the band and because he was such an extreme and interesting character whose death was notable for various reasons. Although to say that he didn't contribute anything to black metal besides the cover for Dawn of the Black Hearts is silly. From what I understand, he had a big impact on the aesthetics of black metal and his lyrics gave Mayhem a darker, more serious edge that renders Deathcrush to be distinct from DMDS thematically, while Euro's riffs helped build upon this new atmosphere musically.

I'll also say that I'd love to hear a version of DMDS with Dead on vocals. There are some live tracks and a couple studio versions of songs with Dead on vocals, but I would love to hear the entire album him. I love what Atilla did on De Mysteriis, with his approach giving the album a larger, grander sound but Dead's vocals were just so violent. The album would have had such a different feel. Oh well, can't have both versions.

- Tim Minchin

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:08 am 

Dead had a cool fucking voice.
He killed himself because he was a seriously disturbed individual with a really intense fascination with death, suffering depression based partially on being in a foreign country where he didn't speak the language and had no friends.

According to Euronymous, mind, he killed himself as a protest against American Death Metal! *hisses and dons his black robes before lighting a bonfire of DM albums*

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:53 am 

I like his vocals, they were unique and he was part of this legendary band in the early years of Bm. Also he wrote the lyrics for DMDS and his tormented personality was fascinating, and obviously because he commited suicide.

Some good reason to remember him. Dont you think so???

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next