Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:45 pm 

If there's a single band in death metal that I could point out as being very, very sadly overlooked, it would be Runemagick. Granted, I haven't heard their last couple of albums (which apparently had more of a jammy stoner vibe to them or something?) and there are a few duds in the band's catalog for sure, but overall Runemagick have been incredibly consistent stuff and managed a stylistic shift about on par with that of Bolt Thrower, evolving from the slightly doom-tinged old school death metal of their early career to a more melodic death/doom approach where they really found their voice.

I really do think Bolt Thrower are a good point of comparison. Really catchy, strong melodies and ear-pleasing lead guitar work, powerful growls, massive grooves and fucking RIFFS like nobody's business. Their albums tended toward the long-winded but never really wear out their welcomes, as the more contemplative doom passages are always resolved with absolutely huge crushing riffs in a really satisfying way.

Sure, lots of people know about this band, but it seems like not very many folks actually listen to them. Tiny amount of reviews here on M-A, rarely talked about on the forum, I've never seen anyone wearing a Runemagick shirt at gigs or heard anyone talking about them, and they have a really tiny number of listeners on Last.fm for such a phenomenal band. I guess it could be just a matter of timing, since they didn't really start releasing albums until the late 90's, which were pretty dreary times for death metal?

Anyway, what's everyone's favorite Runemagick stuff? I like the early stuff a lot but I'm particularly partial to Darkness Death Doom and On Funeral Wings.

If you're not familiar with what the band sounded like during that middle era, check this out:

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:51 pm 

Big fan of them. I always figured people didn't check them out more just due to the name since it doesn't scream death/doom. I need to get more of their work all I have is 4 of their albums and the split they did with Ocean Chief. I would love if they would come back from whatever they have been keeping busy with and write a new album.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:08 am 

Well, 2/3 of the most recent Runemagick lineup (along with a former Runemagick bassist) have been busy in Heavydeath, which is not exactly the same but still in the same general vein:

From their upcoming full-length:

Also, Nicklas plays drums in Necrocurse (which also features the same ex-Runemagick bassist):

Plus Nicklas has a speed metal band he's been doing stuff with recently and is in The Funeral Orchestra, so has been pretty busy.

The Runemagick Facebook also gets regular updates, presumably from Nicklas himself, so I do have hopes that the project is on actual hold and will return to being active at some point rather than just remaining in permanent limbo.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:17 am 

Wow, that was great. I've only heard the name once, but there is much to be appreciated here. The dynamics are great, I bet they're even better as a live band.

Necronipple
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:14 am 

This is my favorite from Runemagick. Such a great album.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:57 am 

I listened to Resurrection in Blood just the other day. Very good album, as is Enter the Realm of Death and Requiem of the Apocalypse. They have a monstrous guitar tone with some truly great riffs and leads. I'm not too familiar with the rest of their discography, though from what I've heard, Moon of the Chaos Eclipse and On Funeral Wings sound quite good too. But yeah, their early stuff, especially the second and third albums, are just so damn good.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:26 am 

I'm only familiar with two albums of theirs - Enter the Realm and Supreme Force. Both are exceptional albums. I do hear the transition to doom-laden death metal with Enter the Realm. Since I'm not familiar with the rest of their discography, I'm assuming they are more known for their doom/death. I must catch up on all their other albums now that you've mentioned some in this thread.

I had checked out Heavydeath earlier this year. They've definitely got some good stuff albeit a terrible band name.

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:20 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
I really do think Bolt Thrower are a good point of comparison. Really catchy, strong melodies and ear-pleasing lead guitar work, powerful growls, massive grooves and fucking RIFFS like nobody's business.

Absolutely not! If one could only be demodded for such an atrocious comparison :). I was there for Rune's first release in the 90's, and second, third and so fourth. At no point should this band be compared to Bolt Thrower. There's about two tracks each off the first two albums that are good, then it's a decade of Rune' garbage. Bolt Thrower is known for not being a band comfortable with change, Runemagick changes quite often and never once was it for the better.

I have said my peace now Ambien please take me away.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:23 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Granted, I haven't heard their last couple of albums (which apparently had more of a jammy stoner vibe to them or something?)

Mate, rectify that! Albums like Envenom, Invocation of Magick, and Dawn of the End are all phenomenal. I guess there's a slight stoner vibe to their music, but they're firmly planted in death/doom territory.

iamntbatman wrote:
Their albums tended toward the long-winded but never really wear out their welcomes, as the more contemplative doom passages are always resolved with absolutely huge crushing riffs in a really satisfying way.

Great way of putting it, mate. They do have long songs most of the time, yet none of them feel convoluted in any way. Take Envenom as a great example - five songs where eight minutes is by far the shortest, and none of the tracks feel expanded for no reason. They are also able to weave the doom sections with some ambient stuff very expertly, and that's not just on Envenom.

iamntbatman wrote:
Anyway, what's everyone's favorite Runemagick stuff? I like the early stuff a lot but I'm particularly partial to Darkness Death Doom and On Funeral Wings.

I think I have to give the slight edge to Darkness Death Doom, too. I like their earlier stuff but that album is where they really took off in sound, personally, and their later output is what I usually go back to. I still strongly recommend their albums you haven't heard. I think you'll be pleased. :)

They've also been on hold for some time now, and - while they're really good - I would actually like to see them disband now. They have created many great albums and have forged their own niche in death/doom, so I wouldn't like them to sully their (admittedly small) reputation by releasing a dud. They have a wonderful discography, so it might be time to leave it alone.

Also, if anyone knows where on Earth I can buy Moon of the Chaos Eclipse, I'd be very appreciative. I can't find that one anywhere!

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

CoF
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:38 am 

Haha, just today I've seen my Runemagick shirt reappear from out of nowhere.... great timing for this topic :-D

But I have to admit that I only care about their later doomier stuff, I simply like how their sound is stripped down to the essential.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:45 am 

I have reviewed nine Runemagick releases for this site and there about that many more from various other writers, so that's not really a tiny amount, especially when compared to other underrated bands. Funnily enough, wearing one of two owned Runemagick shirts today.

I have pretty much all of their stuff (only a physical copy of Invocation of Magick is missing) and although I love the massive sound of the later albums, Darkness Death Doom remains my favourite. Always crushing, and the riffs are absurdly good. I've been aware of Heavydeath and am looking forward to having more time to devote to them. Although the concept is clearly different to Runemagick, some of their demos do share aspects of the atmosphere and vibe.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:02 am 

Oh I new of Heavydeath... yea it's not Runemagick.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:36 am 

Love The Supreme Force of Eternity which is a fine exampled of a death metal band incorporating proper melody into their music with still retaining heaviness.

Not really too enthusiastic on the later albums I've heard by this band although I might revisit some of these at one point.

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:00 pm 

Enter the Realm of Death is one of my favorite death metal albums out there, but I do really like all of their stuff.

My dad is really into Runemagick, the one who reminded me that they were a band by playing them a lot a while back.

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:12 pm 

thesilentenigma wrote:
I was there for Rune's first release in the 90's, and second, third and so fourth.

Has this kind of "I'm old and therefore my opinion matters more!" cane-waving reasoning ever helped anyone's case outside of Florida retirement communities? I'm sure a study has been done.

jon, I know you've done a lot of Runemagick reviews, but still in the end all of yours amount to one dedicated fan covering the discography. Take away your reviews and you're left with most of their full-lengths only having a single review, while some would have zero! All I'm saying is I'd love to see more reviews for their stuff, since there are a lot of people out there who I think would get a kick out of them but simply hasn't listened to them because they don't get talked about a lot.

Eventually I'll fill in the holes I have in my Runemagick listening, but the albums are pretty long and have a lot to take in, so generally I take it slow with bands who have such huge discographies. I reckon it helps that they're on hold, heh.

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:21 pm 

I dig everything from The Supreme Force Of Eternity up to and including Moon In The Chaos Eclipse. Can't get into much after that but I'll admit to not having given the later albums much of a chance.

Enter The Realm Of Death is my pick. Mid-paced, crushingly heavy dark death metal. Love the guitar tone.

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:27 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
thesilentenigma wrote:
I was there for Rune's first release in the 90's, and second, third and so fourth.

Has this kind of "I'm old and therefore my opinion matters more!" cane-waving reasoning ever helped anyone's case outside of Florida retirement communities? I'm sure a study has been done.

Get off my lawn!

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:42 am 

Never heard of them before, Dragon of Doom is siiiick though. Gonna look more into them ;)

Axalcathu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:45 am 

Mate, they're great! One of the greatest dark death bands. This album On Funeral Wings is my favorite thing of all their discography - swampy obscure and monumental stuff! Highly recommend this band to everyone who likes such type of death metal.

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:48 am 

Runemagick, > all

DDD and OFW are mayhaps their greatest works, but I like the earlier and later stuff too. I can say they're one of my favourite death metal bands and be serious about it.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:15 am 

I was inspired by this thread and I bought "Darkness Death Doom" on iTunes (had never heard the band before - I only knew of them because Peter Palmdahl was in the band at one point and Nicklas I knew from Sacramentum). I'm only a couple tracks in, but so far I think it's really fucking awesome.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:46 am 

the debut is the only one i've ever really listened to - i should definitely rectify that some day

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:34 am 

true_death wrote:
I was inspired by this thread and I bought "Darkness Death Doom" on iTunes (had never heard the band before - I only knew of them because Peter Palmdahl was in the band at one point and Nicklas I knew from Sacramentum). I'm only a couple tracks in, but so far I think it's really fucking awesome.

One of their better ones, really. I'm glad you like it. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:02 pm 

Believe it or not, "Fullmoon sodomy" is by far my favourite Runemagick song. It's the opening track on their '92 demo - apparently they called themselves Rune Magic back then - and one of its riffs is indeed magic. Have been trying to get the original tape for ages.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:11 pm 

Supreme Force Of Eternity is classic death metal, great dark atmosphere, wonder why it's not more popular.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:44 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
true_death wrote:

One of their better ones, really. I'm glad you like it. :)

After listening to the whole album...Some of the best death/doom I've ever heard. I still think "As the Flower Withers" is the best death/doom record of all time, but this is up there with "The IVth Crusade", "The Last One On Earth", "Lost Paradise" & "Gothic" :lol:. Really cool how they can have such slow music but have enough tempo & riff changes to the point that it never feels boring.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:35 pm 

The Funeral Orchestra is a band I've listened to quite a bit, if not nearly as much as Runemagick themselves, but still a good place to go for those that want something with which to follow up Dawn of the End. Vocals and guitars by Nicklas Rudolfsson, and they have a really good split with Ocean Chief (it was originally planned to be under the name Domedag, another Rudolfsson death/doom project if I am not wrong, but ended up under the TFO name).

Uncolored
Death Metal Fundamentalist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:20 am 

you are fucking right batman. I have a couple of runemagick albums I do not listen since aeons. I like them a lot! as you said it's a pity they are terrific overlooked.

SatanHussein wrote:
my dream is to organise a funeral doom festival and sell my stockpiles of antidepressants at the merch stand

I never check forum messages, don't bother write me here. thanx

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:52 pm 

Man, this band has some fucking classic material. Especially their first two albums. The Pentagram was a horrible idea, though.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:06 pm 

Haha yeah, that "album" seems like a Melvins-esque joke rather than a serious release to me. It's easily ignored in the context of the great albums surrounding it, though!

YesIam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:07 pm 

I've never been able to get into the albums pre-Darkness Death Doom, but everything from Darkness Death Doom and onwards are magnificent. Darkness Death Doom, Envenom and my personal favourite Invocation of Magick are all 6/6 for me. Dark, mean and crushing. Been a long time since I tried anything pre-Darkness Death Doom though, so I guess I should get onto that right away.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:48 am 

YesIam wrote:
I've never been able to get into the albums pre-Darkness Death Doom, but everything from Darkness Death Doom and onwards are magnificent. Darkness Death Doom, Envenom and my personal favourite Invocation of Magick are all 6/6 for me. Dark, mean and crushing. Been a long time since I tried anything pre-Darkness Death Doom though, so I guess I should get onto that right away.

I agree that I very much prefer their later stuff, but Requiem of the Apocalypse is pretty good, so I recommend that one.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:24 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
If there's a single band in death metal that I could point out as being very, very sadly overlooked, it would be Runemagick. If you're not familiar with what the band sounded like during that middle era, check this out:

Thanks for this. I really like it. Excellent stuff and I'm going to explore this band quite a bit more.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:00 am 

I feel like I'm of the opposite feeling here. I really dig Enter the Realm of Death, but I'm somewhat put off by the stoner sound of Darkness Death Doom and On Funeral Wings.

griekis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:05 pm 

great band , I like it, I wonder what is bands status now, any update, info about it

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:43 pm 

Darkness Death Doom is really hitting a sweet spot for me. Digging these big, fat, stoner-y riffs and the weird psychedelic-flavored melodies mixed with traditional DM thugging and death-style growling. Really cool, mesmeric sort of sound...I look forward to hearing the ones after this which I've heard go even further into this sort of sound. Haven't read lyrics yet but I dig the song titles and themes too.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:18 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Darkness Death Doom is really hitting a sweet spot for me. Digging these big, fat, stoner-y riffs and the weird psychedelic-flavored melodies mixed with traditional DM thugging and death-style growling. Really cool, mesmeric sort of sound...I look forward to hearing the ones after this which I've heard go even further into this sort of sound. Haven't read lyrics yet but I dig the song titles and themes too.

Darkness Death Doom is probably their best one, but all their albums after that are certainly worth hearing. :thumbsup:

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:35 am 

Yeah, I really dig also how the songs just swing into one another with very little warning or transition - it makes the album sound bold, immediate and urgent. A lot of similar bands like to start slow and sort of build up, but Runemagick hit that sweet spot for really talented bands where they just start off with "the good part" and keep it going.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:39 am 

Emperic Empyreal man! You gotta hear the early shit too. It's so good. Requiem of the Apocalypse has the fantastic doom atmosphere, but Resurrection in Blood has the riffs. Never forget, the riff needs YOU!

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:43 am 

i've never heard the band before, always avoided them because their name is kinda embarrassing. but this song in the first post, it's kicking bum. i'll give an album or two a listen now. cheers m8

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next