Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Hastein45
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:56 pm 

A band similar to them is releasing a new album around the same time. Iceland`s Beneath are releasing their second full-length on April 29th. It is titled The Barren Throne and a song has been released from it:

http://youtu.be/TIeK8TaJPNE

I feel as if it is a bit more riffy than Hour of Penance`s "Resurgence of the Empire", but the songwriting isn`t as good. Two releases to get excited about?

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:21 pm 

Why is Hour of Penance in the topic title, but not the actual band this is about? Trying to get more views?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:12 pm 

That was actually pretty good, and dare I say better than anything HOP released post-Paradogma. I'm really enjoying the dynamic interplay in the songwriting. I may have to check this band after all! :nods:

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:32 pm 

I think you should either make this a 'Beneath' discussion thread (and change the topic title!) or just go this thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=101852

Hastein45
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:59 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
Why is Hour of Penance in the topic title, but not the actual band this is about? Trying to get more views?

Yes because people are not that aware of them but their sound is quite alike Hour of Penance`s. Seeing as Hour of Penance`s new stuff isn`t being highly touted here, I figure they could be introduced to a possibly better or similar alternative. I`d prefer people to discuss the music as opposed to being worried about the title though.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:21 am 

imo Hour of Penance and Beneath sound almost nothing alike. HoP are hyper fast, brutal, shredding, relentless, whereas Beneath have a lot of breathing room in their songs; lots of longer compositions, melodies, twisting riff sections....
It's like saying Suffocation sound just like Origin or something.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:23 am 

Vocalist is similar to Paoli. Music is fairly standard Unique Leader roster stuff. Decent. I might pick it up.

"Even as sand dissolves to dust" though? Really? I suppose I've heard sillier lyrics.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Reply to topic