Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:32 am 

It was the new Goretrade, God I'm a drooling moron sometimes. Gorelust faith restored.

Edit: This Electrocution album is a joke right? I guess I can get behind people being happy they didn't just ape Inside Unreal again, but damn, there's NOTHING here that could be identified as Electrocution as what they once were, not one of their old traits survived, this is just a 2001-2006 death metal album. I can't even call it a half assed retro-DM cash in, it's a half assed attempt to be what was popular a decade ago.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:21 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
It was the new Goretrade, God I'm a drooling moron sometimes. Gorelust faith restored.

Edit: This Electrocution album is a joke right? I guess I can get behind people being happy they didn't just ape Inside Unreal again, but damn, there's NOTHING here that could be identified as Electrocution as what they once were, not one of their old traits survived, this is just a 2001-2006 death metal album. I can't even call it a half assed retro-DM cash in, it's a half assed attempt to be what was popular a decade ago.

Given all the Gore* bands that exist I don't account you as fully responsible for that mistake. :lol:

Yeah, that album is really lame. You know something isn't worth it when you're listening to it for the first time and it feels like you've heard it a hundred times before.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:11 am 

Coffin Dust's debut full length is a total ripper! Gnarly thrashing death metal with lots of tempo changes and spooky leads throughout. Dudes do a really good job of bringing in a lot of different influences and blending them pretty seamlessly. ffo: Exhumed, Impaled, Razorback Record's heyday, etc.

You can stream the whole shebang on their bandcamp and score the physical output from Unholy Anarchy Records
http://coffindust.bandcamp.com/album/th ... my-kingdom

Spoiler: show
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:22 pm 

Abysmal Torment - Cultivate The Apostate

Brace your ears for an onslaught of epic skull-crushingly terrorizing riff-raging technical brutal chaotic mayhem. WOW. :guns: :np: :headbang:

Most definitely an album-of-the-year candidate for me.

This is laden with some extremely talented technicality and speed. The tempos and BPM are off the charts, yet they reign it in enough to make catchy, memorable songs. The variety of guitar chord-work and tricks keeps things incredibly interesting. Might be another one of those that best served in smaller doses (see: Soreption - Engineering The Void) due to the brain-scrambling ability the album inflicts you with repeatedly. :D

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:28 pm 

That actually does seem pretty cool based off the first song, not sure how I'll take a full hour of it, but they've got plenty of riffs and varied ideas in there, all the ideas are well explored in the genre, but a bit like Katalepsy last year having all of them in one package is pretty cool.

Baroque1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:06 am 

New Mekong Delta has some high points

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTwARqrcn_w

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:33 am 

Howls of Ebb's Vigils of the 3rd Eye is a very interesting record. I'm pretty sure it'll at least end up in my top 20 albums of the year. I've listened to it only a couple of times and I think it's really worth it if you're looking for something different, a mish-mash of genres, strong vocals and some haunting melodies.

Check it out here - http://i-voidhangerrecords.bandcamp.com ... he-3rd-eye

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:14 am 

I listened to that Howls of Ebb not so long ago, they're kinda like Autopsy, but on crack , hehe :nods:

RainbowPrius19
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:48 pm 

Old Graves - Like Staining Boughs is probably my favorite album so far, but Xanthochroid supposedly has a new album in the works so that might top it. Deep Mountains' Lake of Solace is pretty good also. Thanks for posting that Coffin Dust link, I didn't realize they came out with a new album this year.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:06 pm 

RainbowPrius19 wrote:
Deep Mountains' Lake of Solace is pretty good also.

This was a huge disappoint me for me. I love their debut and this new one just sounds like amateur Agalloch worship. Way too many instrumental tracks and what's up with that song that's just full of movie quotes?

TheAntagonist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:06 pm 

RainbowPrius19 wrote:
Old Graves - Like Staining Boughs is probably my favorite album so far, but Xanthochroid supposedly has a new album in the works so that might top it. Deep Mountains' Lake of Solace is pretty good also. Thanks for posting that Coffin Dust link, I didn't realize they came out with a new album this year.

Digging that Old Graves album. Seems like a nice mash up of all that is good about Agalloch and Woods of Desolation.

Windir - Resurrection of the Wild

DeathMasqueRed
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:10 pm 

Other than Triptykon and Sargeist, the albums that have stood out to me this year have all been from Chicago bands. Murmur's self-titled album and Indian's "From All Purity" have already been mentioned in this thread. The third band is Lord Mantis. Their new album "Death Mask" is a fucking monster. What is it with Chicago producing such crushing and unsettling metal lately?

I had high hopes for the new Coffinworm that came out last month, but it's only garnered one listen from me so far. It just failed to grab me in the way their debut did.

Hastein45
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:08 pm 

I think Aenaon's Extance is a damn good record. One of the best black metal records I have heard this year. Enthroned latest is pretty good too. Near Death Condition released a badass death metal record and Behemoth's latest is quite good as well. It is more atmospheric than their last release.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:17 pm 

Teeeeeeechnically released on christmas last year Modorra's "Solar Anus" LP is some top notch Repulsion worship
http://plagueisland.bandcamp.com/album/ ... ar-anus-12
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:35 pm 

The new Pestifer album (OK, so I'm whoring this band again) is very interesting, which is the same to say that there's so much going on that even after three full spins I can't seem to grasp it completely. Much more intricate and complicated songwriting than on the debut, and much of the straightforward thrashy passages are gone, giving it a nod more towards Obscura's (the band) terrain. It's much proggier than the debut as well. Still can't say if I prefer this one or the debut more, but it's definitely not an easy album to listen to.

Full stream here: http://www.deezer.com/album/7749446 (free register and voilá)

x0r444
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:41 pm 

this is a big post, but there's already been some big releases that i've heard so far and much of it i haven't seen listed so hopefully you'll find at least 1 album you can't stop listening to:

Abaddon Incarnate - Pessimist
ther's some reeeeally good stuff happening with grind this year. but it's fantastic grind whatever year it is. they have a Napalm Death sort of sound. highly recommended.

Akrotheism - Behold The Son Of Plagues
this might be the best black metal album i've heard so far. 2nd wave aesthetics with KILLER riffs but plenty of individual personality. compare it to Mayhem's De Mysteriis roughly but this is certainly not any worship of another band i don't think. vocals are rather unique... i could see Atilla, but, once again, unique and has it's own identity. for me this is another album that's going to be tough for other black metal bands when stuff this awesome is already out... and i know that mayhem is bringing out a new album but this Akrotheism is gonna stand toe to toe, i honestly believe.

Asilo - Comunión
the genre tags for this band are sludge doom drone, which is true, but there's a lot of crust, a bit of that ritual occult sound that has been popular lately, and black metal, especially in the vocals, but unlike so many bands "with black metal vocals," this is legit. this is an album that shouldn't be missed, it's just an absolutely great album taken as a whole but the individual songs will get stuck in your head. you're gonna get into it.

Bast - Spectres
this is my go to album of the year so far; when i'm not sure what i feel like listening to, i thrown on this album. it's sludge doom, and sludge is so trendy now, but that's not to say that i'm against sludge... just a WHOLE LOT out there. this is the one you should grab. it's just great metal as well as a top-tier album. don't miss out on this. seriously.

Dephosphorus - Ravenous Solemnity
one of the albums i anticipated most. i love this sound. i haven't run across too many bands with this sound but there /are/ a few. Death/Black Metal/Grindcore, but it's really heavy, dissonant (another trend right now) with a lot of the guitars. lots of actual grindcore to be found but there's also strong hardcore punk presence. there's some sludgy doom in there... this band just uses anything and everything to create and deliver EXACTLY what they intend to and it's incredibly executed. and the vocals are unmistakable and intense. just an absolute must have and by far one of the releases. check out their previous album while you're at it from their bandcamp page.

Destrange - Are You Kidding Me? No.
thrash/death. there's doom in here, there modern melodic singing sometimes, death vocals, interesting timing, some of that lousiana style like Down, prog-rock philosophy exists in here, and kicking-ass catchy fun character to the approach. that can't really explain what you will actually find on this album progressive, but REAL progressive metal and not all of this cookie-cutter djent stuff. tons of styles represented and executed excellently, sometimes used together and sometimes as switching from one to the other. tons of character, amazing musicianship, lots and lots to like no matter what you're into. extremely diverse.

Erebus Enthroned - Temple Under Hell
see the description for Akrotheism's album above, but this has its own personality entirely. if you want the best black metal albums from this year, include this.

Hiidenhauta - Noitia On Minun Sukuni
now here's an interesting one! more of this GOOD black metal that's coming out this year. just solid black foundation, awesome riffs, great mix, but this one gets extra note for including symphonics/atmosphere, some melody, and female singing at times with a folksy element sometimes. just lots of stuff to like and a totally refreshing experience. i come back to this one quite a bit.

Human Cull - Stillborn Nation
dirty, raw, grind, once again. they have the napalm death approach but there's the distinct hardcore in there. unapologetic, kinda crusty with heavy a heavy low-end. death vocals most of the time. it's an onslaught.

Lux Occulta - Kołysanki
they go all out this time, and they go waaaay out. this is real avant-garde. it's worth the trip. a little more approachable and sensical if you're familiar with the band. still gonna be wtf.

Medecophobic - Escalation
finally some Slam! BUT! this is no ordinary slam. it is also actually honest-to-god death metal. maybe a little classic morbid angel-type death metal, maybe a little suffocation, maybe a little incantation, maybe some obituary. maybe some guitar like prog-Death. fantastic mix!!! a little fuzzy guitar and it's pretty complex playing, some great drumming, awesome guttural vocals and they're quite menacing. it all fits together so well. i'm sure it's brutal death metal by definition but i'm not a big fan of actual brutal death metal generally speaking beyond suffocation and stuff like that so i don't say brutal death metal too much. this is a real gem; there's not, well, i don't think i've EVER heard anything quite like this. the only bad part is that this is a 3 song ep 8\

Myocardial Infarction - Revitalization Of The Perniciousness
now this album is serious slam. i'll be surprised if any slam comes out that tops this or even comes close. they're from Japan and this is NOT stupid slam; this is the good shit. these guys are great musicians who know good songwriting and they can throw in some hard slams and even some mega slams. it's THAT good.

Plebeian Grandstand - Lowgazers
avant-garde black metal. think deathspell omega as far as guitar style and some other aspects, but there's no copy here actually. i get a sort of Portal-type weird death metal feel from it though. it's really ominous and creepy as well as violent. at times like Dephosphorous. very complex and highly memorable. easy to play over and over again and still new things from it. the feeling that you get is really powerful and sticks with you. highly recomended.

Pyrrhon - The Mother Of Virtues
REAL technical death metal. some doomy atmospheric parts this album is very complex, that sort of tech death. there no struggle actually enjoying this because it's first and foremost crushing, the vocals are usually oppressive, bass is very good in the mix and it sounds pretty chunky and crusty and the bass is just as just as complex as the rest of it. interesting, engaging, and has a feeling that you just escape from.

Terra Tenebrosa - V.I.T.R.I.O.L. - Purging the Tunnels
if you're familiar with this band, you probably already have this and dont need to have me say anything about how good it is. now it's just an EP but it's one very long song and then a shorter one. it's a complete work if you don't know this Terra Tenebrosa, do it. there's no band like them and i say this in the most awesome way. avant-garde... i'm a sucker for it but really this is to everyone: Vitriol is an awesome experience and it's a good place to start from if you haven't heard them yet. will not disappoint even if it's not your thing.

Thantifaxath - Sacred White Noise
right now my pick for #1 metal album of the year. it's really fucking good. creative, engaging, enjoyable, powerful, it just pulls you around throws all kinds of things at you. metal archives has them labeled as black metal and it's correct, but sooooo much more. it's amazing black metal just on it's own, but there's just elements that push it higher and higher. vocals are vicious. it sounds like you're spiraling into somewhere not very accommodating, sometimes falling, sometimes rising, sometimes both. atmosphere and feeling just oooooze and explode outward. guitars are so interesting while being catchy black metal riffs, but the kicker here comes is that the guitars just constantly dance around everything. in fact the whole of the music is like that. and there's synth pads behind most of the music and they are sooo appropriate. Thantifaxath is doing something very different here and it's just their debut full release. everything about Thantifaxath and this album Sacred White Noise is just mindblowing. MANDATORY. only bad thing is that some hipsters found about this... don't let them ruin it for you. fuck them. they hear sunbather and then they're the authority on all of metal. suck shit asshole hipsters.

Triptykon - Melana Chasmata... doesn't disappoint. not at all.
The Kindred - Life In Lucidity... it's a rock album but it's really good. worth checking out for sure. it's the only one i've kept this year.
Impetuous Ritual - Unholy Congregation Of Hypocritical Ambivalence.... ooooooh it's goooood. it's waaay more than good. those guys from Portal are unbelievable.
Indian - From All Purity... ridiculously crushing. just crushing. i can't listen to it too much because it's that crushing.

i had to rush those last few. but there's my contribution to the discussion of worthwhile album of 2014. hope i help some people to find something they are blown away by.

x0r444
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:53 pm 

oh and i forgot about The Great Old Ones -Takeli-Li
it's a great one that shouldn't good go by without checking it out.
i'm pretty sure other people have spoken about this album but i figure it can't hurt to reiterate.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:57 pm 

Thanks for this list. I was able to find most of these on Bandcamp so I'll be checking them out over the next couple days. My one comment for now is I don't agree with you at all on Thantifaxath. I think their debut EP is much, much better than this new one. They eradicated pretty much everything that makes their songs memorable and went for DsO worship instead. Huge disappointment.

Hastein45
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:19 pm 

Beneath's (Iceland) newest album is available to stream in its entirety at Metalhammer.com. It is neck and neck with Near Death Condition's latest for best death metal album of 2014, in my opinion.

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/2014- ... um-in-full

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:22 pm 

x0r444, I always appreciate people putting time into making detailed lists, esp. spanning multiple genres like you did (above). It makes me either find new music or re-visit albums I may have quickly listened and passed by again for months. Myocardial Infarction and Medecophobic are two examples, for me. Anyway, thank you.

Another one memorable and worth bringing up here is this one:

Artificial Brain - Labyrinth Constellation
Technical brutal death with a lot of Ulcerate-like elements. Reminds me of Vengeful's great work, too. Very heavy, brutal stuff that expands the usual guitar chord-work into a more progressive state, yet retains the key brutal forms that for me are most necessary. Cool artwork, too (spoiler).

Spoiler: show

x0r444
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:22 pm 

Narsilianshard - i didn't know that Thantifaxath had an EP. kinda just happened find this band/album randomly so i will check out the EP and let you know what i think. if these works are so different, i'm excited to hear that difference. so thanks for the info about that ep!

Misfit74 - i actually have that artificial brain album but i haven't given it enough attention. i'll go back and listen to it again a couple times. ive seen it recommended a fairly good amount of sources. i'll have to get on that. thanks!

i also have to say that i don't listen to power metal, new thrash metal, technical death metal, non-slam brutal death metal, and a few other styles, so if someone could pick up the torch that would be cool. i'd like to hear some of the best 2014 albums from that neck of the woods.
glad some people have already enjoyed my list. my descriptions aren't that good by my standards but i realized i was on a time limit a little bit into it. "this album is awesome. it's just so awesome" is not the way i like to talk about things. but once again, glad it was enough for some people to get some use out the list.

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:01 pm 

anyone else heard the new Schammasch album, Contradiction? what did you think? its obviously a long listen and hard to take in all in one sitting, but certainly some really good stuff in there

Unaerth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:37 pm 

I've been waiting for the new Schammasch with anticipation. I personally felt that the debut was interesting, worthwhile, and promising. It has a very 'authentic' edge to it. The couple tracks I have heard from Contradiction just don't seem to have that extra dimension I found so enjoyable on the debut. They sound good, but not as profound as I was hoping. This was going to be an immediate purchase for me, but now I think I need to hear a bit more of it before I spend the cash. Due to my lean wallet, $17+ after shipping etc is just getting a bit steep for something I am not sure about yet.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:30 pm 

I've been really digging Melting Sun by Lantlos, even though it's "metalness" could be argued, it's a really enjoyable album, even if the best song is probably the first one, making it almost impossible to reach that same high.

Another slightly less metallic album I've been digging is Demon by Gazpacho, just a really well put together album. While it's not really heavy or have much for actual riffs, the songs themselves are beautifully written and the atmosphere is probably one that many metalheads can dig.

I'm going to put in a mention for Triptykon's newest as well as the new Sargeist (although, that one might be a bit more "alright" than downright amazing).

Of course, my favourite album this year, so far, is Horizons by Anubis Gate. Didn't quite live up to my expectations at first, but upon further listens has really unraveled itself to show how bursting with great ideas it is. In fact, I just realized that my least favourite song has one of the coolest moments on the CD: the layered vocal effect about half way through Revolution Come Undone.

Slough Feg's Digital Resistance was fun, although I probably didn't give it enough time to really sink in. Much like their previous album, I probably won't realise it's genius until a year or two from now. :p

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:19 am 

domains' debut album sinister ceremonies is some very nice osdm

and just in case everyone wasn't already aware, the new dead congregation is out and it's monstrous (tho' i prefer the more atmosphere oriented debut)

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:59 am 

2014 has been a slow year for me... not a lot has grabbed my attention. It's been particularly bad in the metal realm.

So far, my top 5 includes a re-issue as the best album of the year.

1. Demilich- 20th Adversary of Emptiness
2. Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra- Fuck Off Get Free We Pour Light on Everything
3. GridLink- Longhena
4. Dead Congregation- Promulgation of the Fall
5. Have A Nice Life- The Unnatural World

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:07 am 

adding mandatory albums...

Autopsy
Dead Congregation
Aborted
Sinister

"You make it easy."

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:37 am 

Took me a while to get through it all, but nice post x0r444, if you're still here. Always good to see a lengthy post with details given, got me to hear a lot of stuff I hadn't heard of and made me aware of a new Abaddon Incarnate album (sadly its dull, but still). With that said I only liked Akrotheism, Medecophobic, and Plebeian Grandstand on any great level, the first of which being the only one which will have a shot at my EOY list, but good post regardless.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:15 am 

My favorites thus far:

Coffinworm - 'IV.I.VIII'
Primal Fear - 'Delivering the Black'
Nausea - 'Condemned to the System'
Lord Mantis - 'Death Mask'

I also have the new Impetuous Ritual on the way, and many more still to buy.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:48 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
I've been really digging Melting Sun by Lantlos, even though it's "metalness" could be argued, it's a really enjoyable album, even if the best song is probably the first one, making it almost impossible to reach that same high.

What's the debate? Sounds like straight up post-rock / shoegaze. I was liking it but it feels a little boring. Songs with lots of nice sounds but the album is largely background music.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:21 pm 

The more I listen to the new Misery Index, the more it seems like all the really good stuff is packed into the second half of the album. First half's got all the strange vaguely new, but still familiar sounding Misery Index tracks and the second half is just grinding, angry, pissed off libertarians. Sentinels, the weakener, Colony Collapse, Cross to Bear and Heretics are pretty top-notch riffing in my book

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:25 pm 

Falcon released a killer album! pure argentinean heavy metal in the old fashion
I loved the production and the tight musicianship, Mensajero de Medianoche kicks asses!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS5YJwO04Yw

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

fallot
I'm not sexist, I have binders full of women friends!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:50 pm 

Very pleasantly surprised by the new Sammath, Godless Arrogance. I wasn't a big fan of their last two albums, in fact I haven't really enjoyed anything they released since Strid but this album is insane. It is perhaps one of the best examples of death metal merged with black metal that I have ever heard full stop. Extremely badass death metal riffs but always in a black metal context. It is an extremely intense album and almost never lets up which put me off at first but that only lasted for a few minutes, it's sort of inevitable considering the style they are going for. Right now Godless Arrogance is a peerless album and I would be very surprised if anything manages to better it in 2014.

TDD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:18 pm 

fallot wrote:
Very pleasantly surprised by the new Sammath, Godless Arrogance. I wasn't a big fan of their last two albums, in fact I haven't really enjoyed anything they released since Strid but this album is insane. It is perhaps one of the best examples of death metal merged with black metal that I have ever heard full stop. Extremely badass death metal riffs but always in a black metal context. It is an extremely intense album and almost never lets up which put me off at first but that only lasted for a few minutes, it's sort of inevitable considering the style they are going for. Right now Godless Arrogance is a peerless album and I would be very surprised if anything manages to better it in 2014.

I agree. Also, most of everything released by I, Voidhanger is far and beyond anything the metal community could come close to. With releases by Woebegone Obscured, Wakedead Gathering, Blizaro, Howls Of Ebb and the exquisite, timeless album by Lorn, have all been stupendous efforts.

I'd like also to second wholeheartedly Domains' Sinister Ceremonies which is an enormous piece of death metal art, far beyond that hot-topic bullshit called 'Death' by Teitanblood that pales in comparison to the masterpiece of their Spanish peers.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:05 am 

I've been listening to a lot of this new record on Youtube as the album is only on iTunes so far while CDs are pressed, but it sounds like an utterly fulfilling sequel to Seven Are They. Maybe a little bit more of an early Deicide feel in parts but still just ripping, rabid and lightning fast death metal. Drums are off the chain.

And I have heard the upcoming debut full-length from Exordium Mors... monstrous. Everything their demos/ EPs/ gigs promised and more. Huge, barbaric black/ thrash record with superior songwriting to match its impressive presentation and concept.

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Exordium_Mors/The_Apotheosis_of_Death/411074

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:38 pm 

Holy shit that Domains is amazing. Cannot believe it came out back on January 5th and this is the first I'm hearing of it. Just ordered a copy from Ajna.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:44 pm 

Its alright, I feel the concept and idea of their music is better than their execution though.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:24 pm 

Thou -Heathen

Probably my pick for record of the year right now, although I haven't really been keeping as close tabs on new albums this year, though to be fair a lot of the stuff I was looking forward to hasn't been released yet. This is a killer sludge/doom record, and possibly Thou's best yet (though i have a tough time deciding between it and Tyrant. Totally crushing all the way through.

Salvaticus - Hidden Manna

Woohoo! Another killer Virginia black metal act. Definitely some of the best black metal to come out of the state along with Bastard Sapling and Hunters Ground. Highly atmospheric at times, yet very menacing at others. Excellent use of acoustic guitars, and some of the riffs remind me of Diadem of 12 Stars-era Wolves in the Throne Room, which is awesome. There are some truly epic moments in here.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

TDD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:20 pm 

Hoth have released an amazing album called Oathbreaker. Some timeless riffs this album owns. check it out ASAP.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:31 pm 

TDD wrote:
Hoth have released an amazing album called Oathbreaker. Some timeless riffs this album owns. check it out ASAP.

Just stumbled across this on Bandcamp yesterday. Only listened to one track so far, and I find it hard to believe that a concept album about Darth Vader will be anything more than "good" but I'm definitely going to sit down with it since they're from Seattle.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next