Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
savagevelocithrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:36 am 

I don't know if there is a thread about this here before, but anyway.

What are the best and the worst bands reunions in your opinion? why?

as an example:

- HEATHEN: the Heathen reunion is nothing but gold. their "The Evolution of Chaos" album is the perfect follow up to "Victims Of Deception" and their live performance are excelent. the voice of David White is in perfect shape.

on the other side.

- VON: this is maybe one of the worst and most disappointing comebacks ever. there is nothing about the demo-era on the "new" Von. their reunion gig was a total disaster and now they are most like a joke of themselves.

expose your opinions please.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:57 am 

This thread has probably be done to death but...

October Tide's comeback was definitely worth it. Their new album sounds a bit too modern for the melodic doom/death kind of thing at times tea but there are also lots of strong moments on the album that would really fit on Rain Without End. I wish the production wasn't that loud and in your face however but as far as songwriting goes this album really was worth the wait.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:28 pm 

Death Angel's reunion is one which I find to have been a good thing; A band who just felt like they missed playing, and Thrash-of-the-Titans served as a reason to resume; and it stuck. I really enjoy their post-reunion albums, even if they aren't as overtly thrashy as the debut. Probably among the albums I've listened to the very most in recent months. I think the whole thing seems very earnest.

I can't bring to mind any bands who've had a bad reunion that has been particularly pertinent to my own listening; of course, they exist, but none are too relevant to me who've had full-on reunions.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:32 pm 

Worst- Motley Crue(the first time). They were pretty much forced to, then they released Generation Swine, which I think is their worst album.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:37 pm 

Worst reunion album I heard was hands-down the third Witchfinder General album. It is so freaking terrible it's beyond description.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:49 pm 

asphyx is one of the better reunions i can think of.

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:51 pm 

I wouldn't call it the worst, but Running Wild's reunion was a bit underwhelming. Still early in the game though, so here's (half)hoping.

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:59 pm 

If Alice in Chains counts, I'll say that's pretty awesome reunion. It's not like they just carried on after Layne died, so I'd call it a reunion.

After "When Death Comes" I would have said Artillery was a great reunion, but maybe not after the latest album...

I'm not sure I'd call Atheist's reunion the worst... It was bad, but it was more disappointing.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:18 pm 

These might qualify as reunion - at least in some extent:

Inverloch: Disembowelment is done so we have Inverloch with 2 ex D members on it. I honestly think the Ep could have been a worthy follow up to Transcendence Into the Peripheral if it were released as D.

Heaven and Hell, aka Dio-era Sabbath: The Devil You Know is badass from start to finish. Sadly Dio is no more with us, but he left this world releasing a monster of an album. It could have been perfect for Sabbath after Dehumanizer and closing the Sabbath legacy on a high note.

Autopsy: The Tomb Within and Macabre Eternal are the shit!

Arch/Matheos: John Arch + Fates Warning? it's just a very similar case of H&H and in the same way this 'side project' kick ass, if it were released under the FW name, it would be the best since Awaken the Guardian.

For not that great reunions:

Cynic. I like the new releases but they are just way below Focus IMO. Still is awesome to have them playing live, but the new output hasn't convinced me enough yet.

Pestilence. This new Pestilence is a hit or miss. I kinda liked Resurrection Macabre for being brutal, but Doctrine was extremely mediocre (excepting Jeroen's playing).

For bands recently reunited that might kick ass:

Empyrium: they already released 1 new song officially, but played 2 gigs and another new song. I can't wait for a new album!

Centurian: these guys, as Nox, decided to return as Centurian since the new songs are more fitting that band's style. The new album is on the works!

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:03 pm 

Autopsy's reunion was pretty great, and so was Septic Flesh'.
Just counting the seconds until Metallica pops up here.

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:12 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:

You mean Megadeth? Metallica never disbanded.

savagevelocithrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:30 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Worst reunion album I heard was hands-down the third Witchfinder General album. It is so freaking terrible it's beyond description.

For what i read about that album, the worst part are the vocals. I don't find myself too interested in listen to it anyway.

Assassin reunion album, "The Club" is one of the worst i can remember. dull, forced and uninspired Thrash. Exumer's new album was a quite disappointing (not that i expected to much).

Vulcano's "Tales From The Black Book" was a really powerfull album. That reunion record is one of the best imo.

Also the first Sabbath reunion with Ozzy (and Bill Ward). "Last Supper" is a hell of a DVD and i really liked the "Reunion" 2-Cd when was younger. Somebody has seen Black Sabbath now (the new reunion)?

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:42 pm 

Maybe not a reunion per se, but since it contains 3/5 members of 'Awaken the Guardian', I'd have to say Arch/Matheos. 'Sympathetic Resonance' is a fantastic album, and John sounds better than ever. I wish the riff style was a bit less 'modern', but that's my only complaint.

Not a recent reunion, but I'm extremely happy that Manilla Road returned in the late '90s. None of their new stuff is as good as their glory years, but it's still solid, and it means I can actually see them.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:41 pm 

Ecliptik wrote:
Poisonfume wrote:

You mean Megadeth? Metallica never disbanded.

Really? I thought they did between St. Anger and Death Magnetic. Apparently not.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:53 pm 

Sleep. No shit new albums, just playing live. And holy shit they are good.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:00 pm 

2nding Heathen, Manilla Road and Arch/Matheos.

Exodus- "Tempo of the Damned" is probably my favorite album of theirs. The Dukes ones have been getting better with each one and Exhibit B (with the exception of a few songs) is still in regular rotation on my playlist.

Angel Witch- While not perfect, I enjoy a lot about their new album, especially "Dead Sea Scrolls"

The Bad:

Death Angel- Half a dozen good songs over three albums doesn't justify their existence IMO.

Running Wild- Ugh.

There are probably others that I cannot recall right now because I have convinced myself that they have only released their "classic" stuff and that the horrible reunion albums do not exist :lol:

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:00 pm 

I actually thought Heathen was a pretty disappointing one. Yes, the 2005 demo kicks ass, but Evolution is a pretty shitty album, way too long with zero bite and a sterile production.

Littlewolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:20 pm 

Arcturus reunion early this year, but they haven't recorded anything yet, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

juusokult
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:39 pm 

I'm suprised no one mentioned the shortly lived Celtic Frost reunion yet. Who would have thought they would release an album as great as 'Monotheist' after the two shitty albums (well atleast Cold Lake). Too bad the reunion didn't last long, but on other hand we got Triptykon, so maybe it's not that bad after all.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:41 pm 

Angel Dust from Germany back in the '80s were interesting but when they reformed in the '90s they redefined themselves. That streak in late '90s / early 2000s was impressive for a band that looked like they'd never reach that level of power metal.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:08 pm 

juusokult wrote:
I'm suprised no one mentioned the shortly lived Celtic Frost reunion yet. Who would have thought they would release an album as great as 'Monotheist' after the two shitty albums (well atleast Cold Lake).

Vanity Nemesis was an excellent album!

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:16 pm 

Not metal, but I'd have to say that The Darkness' reunion was one of the best ever.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

soulonfire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:30 pm 

Best:
Pagan Altar
Autopsy
Asphyx
Heaven and Hell
Angel Witch
Hell
Celtic Frost

Worst:
Pestilence
Atheist

Use Baloo and calypso music.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:04 pm 

Fucking. Autopsy. Can't top it.

Pointless: Von
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:21 pm 

Mercyful Fate. Every album they did after getting back together in the 90s was golden.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom/Black Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:30 pm 

VON were a total underground, uncompromising band back in 1990, but their reformation just screams "Cash Grab." If they had progressed beyond their early stuff, or even written material that was an updated take on the early stuff but still brutal and uncompromising, I think they would get more respect. Just re-recording old stuff, blatantly trying to make money off the name, is just pointless from a music fan's perspective.

2000's era Celtic Frost was good. I'd rank it right up there with the "Best" reunions. Still kinda wished they'd have followed up from that.

New Anthrax and Exodus are surprisingly decent. I still prefer the classic material but I was surprised by how good some of the newer stuff was. New Death Angel and Heathen are pretty hit or miss; both of those bands suffered from average to below-average follow up albums after their respective debuts so even if the new releases are better than some of the "classic" era stuff, they still don't really match the quality of the 1987 debut releases.

luxul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:46 pm 

I don't know if anybody here caught Broken Hope on their recent reunion tour with Obituary, but they were AMAZING live. I honestly think they are back, and here to stay after such a pummeling live set. Great, strong reunion, if you ask me. Looking forward to the new album they promised, and more live shows.

Can't really recall any bad reunions from memory. Pestilence was less than stellar when I got to see them live, that's about it.

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:51 pm 

I may be alone but I thought Anthrax's reunion was pretty solid. Autopsy and Asphyx have both put out some great albums since re-forming.

I can't really think of too many that I was really disappointed by that I expected something great from.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:54 pm 

http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode= ... mID=180593

Totally forgot Accept. This article reminded me of how this band could have concluded like Black Sabbath with a garbage final album, but no. They came back with reignited passion and came out with two solid albums. Looks like they plan on continuing for a while. Damn good to have Accept back in this new era.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:53 pm 

Blind Illusion anyone?

The Sane Asylum is a classic but that recent album is god awful.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:22 pm 

Awblaster wrote:
Sleep. No shit new albums, just playing live. And holy shit they are good.

I'm still hoping they release something in the near future. It'd be pretty damn amazing if the new albums by High On Fire and Om are anything to go by.

I think the best reunions have been the ones where they not only reformed but kept moving forward with different sounds. Iron Maiden, Candlemass, Heaven And Hell, Anthrax, Exodus, Accept, Saint Vitus, Rush, and Swans are the first to come to mind in that regard. The worst reunions are always the ones where they only play old songs and do nothing else. That said, Morbid Angel's "comeback" really could've been handled better and Ministry's Relapse is rather questionable even if it is a solid album.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:41 pm 

Ecliptik wrote:
I wouldn't call it the worst, but Running Wild's reunion was a bit underwhelming. Still early in the game though, so here's (half)hoping.

You mean Rolf's reunion with himself? I have the Making Of DVD. Shadowmaker was basically him in a room with the producer guy. It didn't even look like a dedicated recording studio.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

soulonfire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:14 am 

Forgot about Banshee. Mindslave is a killer album.

Use Baloo and calypso music.

Cendelence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:38 am 

Best: Azazel (Fin). They released a killer demo in the early 90's called Crucify the Jesus Christ Again and then an EP in '96. Nothing until 2011 when they release a killer 12" split with Goatmoon on Werewolf Records. Werwolf says they're now working on their debut full-length which will be out before the end of the year. Very excited. The repress of the first demo is a mandatory item to pick up.

Hymnofwolves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:21 am 

For me the best reunion was Gorguts. Mainly because I was able to see them live eventhough I am not sure how the new album will turn out to be (when it comes out).

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:47 am 

Manilla Road

I'm including the new Hellwell album as well, as it basically is a new MR album. These guys were awesome throughout their first era, but they are back and are pumping out modern classics like it's all they know how to do.

Orbliis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:03 am 

The Atheist reunion was pretty bad. Jupiter wasn't that terrible, but Kelly sounds awful live these days.

Not a true long term thing, but the Emperor reunion shows were glorious, even with Ihsahn's change in voice.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:34 am 

HELSTAR

When James Rivera left, the band was essentially O-V-E-R! But Larry Barragan had left before that and nothing had really quite ever been the same since "Nosferatu".
In 2007, the reunion brought back James, Larry, Jerry and Robert Trevino and judging by their two most recent albums, "The King Of Hell" and "Glory Of Chaos", it has been one of the finest reunions in metal yet. A new album is on the way so watch this space.

I'm happy about Manilla Road too! "Atlantis Rising" and "Spiral Castle" (post-reunion material) are some of my favorite albums from them. MR seems to be on an epic rampage of sorts these days. :)

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:31 am 

The Helstar reunion albums haven't been good at all really...not too bad either, but definitely not good. Lacks the spirit of their old days - lacks the sort of unique stamp and attitude they used to have in place of really generic thrashing and uninspired songwriting. Glory of Chaos had some cool songs but not anywhere near as good as Remnants of War, per se.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:41 am 

Emp, the way I see it is that they have matured and gracefully. The albums are not as overwhelmingly raw or improvisational as "Nosferatu" and "Remnants", they are a bit more calculated and formulaic but they have teeth and to me it still is Helstar. I always love hearing from them.

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next