Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:27 pm 

During my tape-trading days (late 93/early 94) I obtained a copy of a rehearsal demo of Opeth's "Apostle In Triumph", long before the debut album "Orchid" was released. This wasn't the brief 3 minute snippet that is floating around the net these days, but the full song, structurally identical to the album version. Being a rehearsal demo, it lacked the multiple guitar harmonies (so much so that when I finally heard the album version I thought it too elaborate).

Unfortunately I lost the tape some years ago, and when I tried to search for the track online I found that the only version mentioned on the internet is the short snippet (at one point it was listed on Opeth's MA page). I'm aware that sharing is frowned upon on here, so I'm really just trying to establish whether anyone else is aware of the track? Anyone else come across it whilst trading? Anyone got it?

LifeDemise
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:05 pm 

Would be interesting to hear this.

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:13 am 

Isn't that track a bonus track to the Re-Release CD of the debut (re-released around 2000/2001?? I thought there is this Reh-track used). Not a snippet, but a full song.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:21 am 

No, the 2000 reissue had "Into the Frost of Winter" as a bonus track.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:22 pm 

Still looking for this, can anybody shed any light on it? I realise this will get locked for thread-necromancy, but hey.

I notice that the 3-minute demo has diappeared from the discography on Opeth's page since I first posted this.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:11 pm 

I believe there's a different version of it that appeared on this compilation:
http://www.discogs.com/Various-Candleli ... se/1613195

I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure it was mentioned on the Opeth forum a very long time ago. Perhaps it was just the acoustic part not being tacked on to the wrong track, not a different version, I really don't remember.

The_Karst
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:44 am 

balbulus wrote:
During my tape-trading days (late 93/early 94) I obtained a copy of a rehearsal demo of Opeth's "Apostle In Triumph", long before the debut album "Orchid" was released. This wasn't the brief 3 minute snippet that is floating around the net these days, but the full song, structurally identical to the album version. Being a rehearsal demo, it lacked the multiple guitar harmonies (so much so that when I finally heard the album version I thought it too elaborate).

Unfortunately I lost the tape some years ago, and when I tried to search for the track online I found that the only version mentioned on the internet is the short snippet (at one point it was listed on Opeth's MA page). I'm aware that sharing is frowned upon on here, so I'm really just trying to establish whether anyone else is aware of the track? Anyone else come across it whilst trading? Anyone got it?

Hi balbulus - did you ever get ahold of this? I have a huge collection of live Opeth recordings (including early 90s rehearsals), but this one has always eluded me.

Reply to topic