Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
vgmaster9
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:05 pm 

Even though grindcore is considered by metalheads a metal genre, it's more of a form of punk with extreme metal, crust, and hardcore elements. Even though that is, there are bands in the genre that are accepted as metal. Grunge pretty much has a similar reputation, cause there also seems to be metal bands in that genre, such as Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Gruntruck, and Tad. Even though there are metal bands in both genres, much of grindcore is considered punk while much of grunge is considered alternative rock

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:09 pm 

Well that would be because some bands incorporate more metal into their sound than others. Just like metalcore and deathcore, drone, etc. it all depends on the band and what kind of music they decide to make.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:21 pm 

Neither grind or grunge in their purest forms are considered metal by this site's guidelines. As Erosion said, it all depends on how much metal a band of either style incorporates into their sound. That's why Alice in Chains and Napalm Death are accepted here while Nirvana and Anal Cunt aren't.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

MaskedJackal23
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:34 pm 

Good insights. Ive wondered the same thing before.

TheDefiniteArticle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:04 am 

Subrick wrote:
Neither grind or grunge in their purest forms are considered metal by this site's guidelines. As Erosion said, it all depends on how much metal a band of either style incorporates into their sound. That's why Alice in Chains and Napalm Death are accepted here while Nirvana and Anal Cunt aren't.

I think I read somewhere that Napalm Death wouldn't qualify on the strength of Scum (best album ever :love:) and FETO, which seems reasonable to me.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:38 am 

Grind in its purest form is more hardcore-based than metal-based, though there's lots of grind with a significant death metal influence. "Grunge" isn't considered metal because "grunge" is not a musical genre. "Grunge" bands all played various sorts of hard rock, classic rock, punk, heavy metal, sludge, doom, etc. depending on the band.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:13 am 

gruntruck is great, and so is skin yard. they'd probably both be metal enough to go on the archives, although i doubt anyone cares enough to really add them. i sure don't, and i'm the only fan of them i've ever met!

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:01 am 

Turner wrote:
gruntruck is great, and so is skin yard. they'd probably both be metal enough to go on the archives, although i doubt anyone cares enough to really add them. i sure don't, and i'm the only fan of them i've ever met!

Huh, you know, I decided to take a listen to this Gruntruck album after I saw your post and this actually does seem pretty metal so far. Sounds more-or-less as metal-influenced as Alice in Chains were (before their post-Staley albums, at least).

Any mods want to take a listen to it and decide whether it gets the green light?

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:05 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Turner wrote:

Huh, you know, I decided to take a listen to this Gruntruck album after I saw your post and this actually does seem pretty metal so far. Sounds more-or-less as metal-influenced as Alice in Chains were (before their post-Staley albums, at least).

Any mods want to take a listen to it and decide whether it gets the green light?

I would just submit it and see how they respond.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:11 am 

I had a feeling the band would be blacklisted, though, and it seems that they are now that I check. *shrug* I do hear a significant metal influence in this, though, so I'm led to believe that this is a mistake.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:01 am 

I loved Gruntruck, even if the are now blacklisted, what an awesome Soundgarden-ish album.

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:52 am 

A lot of Grunge bands just simply aren't heavy enough. I don't think Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Mudhoney, Mother Love Bone, or Green River really qualify as heavy metal in the slightest. Punk influence? Sure. Even then, Pearl Jam and Mother Love Bone don't sound punk; they incorporate more of a classic hard rock sound.

Daemonlord
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:23 pm 

The origins of grindcore are based firmly in hardcore punk, but I find there's a fine line between bands who play grindcore and those who border on deathgrind. A lot of it depends on the riffs I find.

Same goes for grunge, I'm pretty sure Alice in Chains were accepted here as they higher in the metal spectrum in comparison to many of their contemporaries (just take a listen to stuff on their first album, or the harder stuff on 'Dirt'). Also, as has already been mentioned, Napalm Death likely wouldn't have been accepted if it was down to their debut alone - they played something more recognizable to US styled death metal on 'Harmony Corruption' and 'Utopia Banished' after all.

https://www.instagram.com/daemonlord_ig/

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:05 pm 

Again, it's going to depend on the amount of actual metal content in the music and even then I don't see why you would compare grunge to grindcore.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:02 pm 

It's a pretty simple concept: if a grind act has more in common with hxc than it does death metal, it doesn't get in, and if a grunge act has more in common with alternative rock or punk than it does stoner, doom, or sludge metal, it doesn't get in.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:21 am 

^ Just like he explained. Melvins, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden and Willard are here because they have more in common with Sabbathian doom/stoner/sludge metal than anything else. Besides, 'grunge' was more of a vague and inappropriate label to pigeonhole the entire Seattle scene of late 80's-early 90's.

@Turner: I love both Gruntruck and Skin Yard. While Gruntruck used to incorporate stoner/groove metal oriented riffing in lot of their songs they also maintained a certain proportion of hard rock, much like early Alice in Chains (AiC have become more and more doom metal-oriented from Tripod) and Soundgarden. I think they should be on Archives. It's all upto the consensus of the admins really. Skin Yard wasn't quite metal. They were more of heavy psych/stoner rock.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

JisusCrust
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:08 pm 

Grindcore is Punk, even if some bands use a more metallic approach most grind bands are ideologically Punk, Assuck is a good example.
Also grunge is not a genere but more a "Scene" Melvins, Nirvana, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains are considered Grunge but they dont sound in any form similar.

Reply to topic